Holiday Strategies?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Skycat

Holiday Strategies?

Post by Skycat » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:26 am

Hi, So at the end of next week I'm setting off on a long-haul vacation with my husband for almost 3 weeks.

So what advice do you all have for No S on holiday?

Stick with vanilla?
Drop it until you get back?
Make a few mods to keep the general idea with a bit more flexibility?

I'm really interested in knowing what has worked for you, or what hasn't worked for you?
Thanks
I CAN do this.

Elyssa

Post by Elyssa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:00 am

Hi Skycat :D
In his book, Reinhard pretty much suggests that "American wage slaves" are unlikely to have a problem with lengthy vacations in terms of continuing to follow No-S diet principles.... but there you are, in Deutschland where Urlaub is accorded more weight (uh, NO pun intended). I myself anticipate time off later this summer and later this year so no whining on my end.
:P

I was thinking - why not continue the weekday vs. weekend rules for myself while on vacation... no reason to throw the habits totally to the wind. If you plan ahead, depending on activities/plans/occasions while on holiday, SELECT days could become extra S days (if truly needed and justified) AS OPPOSED TO taking 21 days of "S" in a row, which I think would pretty much undermine the good habits we have been working to build.
"Just saying." :lol: Anyway, that's my thinking... cheers, Elyssa
Ahh... relief!

"No S" has become the life-changing answer to my agonizing questions around food...

Trust in the wisdom of structure.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 am

i have been asking myself the same thing last summer (and in general, my job is linked to school holidays so i travel a lot and am often in holiday situations) and i have found at least 2 threads with this topic and lots of great advice and experience...
i can't find those threads at the moment to link it here...
but i'm 100% sure that they are on this forum... :)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

violet crown

Post by violet crown » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Our family is just finishing a multi-week "holiday" abroad (husband has a visiting fellowship; I can homeschool anywhere), and here's how we've kept things under control (though admittedly I haven't been as consistent in my habits as I'd like; fixing that now).

We keep up healthy living -- for me, that's sticking to no-S -- even on vacation.
1. Lots of walking. We choose tourist experiences that involve foot travel: buses and trains for long distances; no rental car.
2. Bring a portable cooler. We rarely eat out when traveling; instead we visit a grocery store & get easy-prep, portable real food: bread, cheese, raw veggies, fruit, nuts. Also a chocolate bar for the kids in case a train is delayed/ missed and they are cratering from lack of calories.
3. Choose eat-out food wisely. Sandwiches, soups, small pasties, milk, takeaway salads are generally available at the tourist spots, hidden amongst the crisps, ice cream, biscuits and Irn-Bru. Calories counts are labeled on all items.
4. Bring running clothes. We've never found a place other than an airport that didn't have some sort of path available for a 30-minute run.
5. Primarily, we don't regard food as part of the holiday experience, except insofar as we enjoy the different fare abroad. If I have black pudding and chips, or haggis and neeps, I treat that as I would equivalent dinner back home: balance out extra calories with a long walk and a salad for lunch; don't feel like I have to eat it all (especially the chips!); skip dessert. Then I've had the fun of experiencing foreign food but still have the energy to shepherd a family through a long holiday.

Anyway these are strategies that have worked for my husband and me. Your circumstances will be of course different.

breeze94

Post by breeze94 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:41 pm

As an american wage slave I'm jealous. This is a problem I would like to have to deal with! No advice on strategies, just wanted to wish you a great vacation!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:36 am

We had a multi-week trip a few years ago. I just stuck to no-s. There is so much more to see and do than just the food . . . it really wasn't a problem and made the meals that much more enjoyable. In any case, enjoy your trip.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:30 am

I got some great advice for my first No S vacation many years ago, here it is.

My advice, for a long, multi-week vacation, would be to essentially stick to No S, but make allowances for things that are truly special and unique to that holiday.

If I am visiting a particular part of the world that has an exciting speciality, I make room to sample some. I'm thinking of a visit to a very special chocolatier in a French village, or the time I drank a cocktail in Thailand that was served in a whole young coconut. But I wouldn't take multiple weeks worth of S days just for the sake of it.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:48 pm

I am the poster child for going off NoS on vacation and work travel, and gaining weight while doing so. Don't be me!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:15 am

I'm just going to repeat that it's usually possible to have a satisfying number of "vacation" eating experiences while mostly sticking to Vanilla. I would probably use virtual plating in restaurants for dinner. That can take some firm honesty, but what's the alternative?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:08 am

osoniye wrote:I am the poster child for going off NoS on vacation and work travel, and gaining weight while doing so. Don't be me!!
LOL, I tend to do this too. Occasionally I'm successful in having some N days in there, but when I'm with people who eat very differently every day...well, what can I say, I tend to join them! Usually takes me a week or two to get over a vacation weight-gain (although occasionally it's taken as long as a month--I don't usually appreciate that! But a week or two isn't bad).

I think--go for what helps you long-term stay with No-S and have losses over the long-haul, and don't focus too much on what happens in any one week or month.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks for all your input. I'm going to attempt to stick to No S as far as possible while I'm away, and try to post on my check-in thread as often as I can. Although I'm sure I'll have some red days, each green day will feel twice as valuable. :D
I CAN do this.