Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about waffles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3squaremeals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Question about waffles Reply with quote

I just have a question about waffles. I have a recipe I use with 1/4 C of sugar in the whole recipe which makes 4-5 decent size waffles. I usually serve myself one with Greek yoghurt and fruit. Would you class this as an S? I personally don't think it has enough sugar in the recipe to classify as an S but interested in other people's opinions

My goal is to have a healthy BMI and sane eating habits with very minimal binges
oolala53

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not, though if it led me on multiple occasions to later to crave sweets or more flour foods, I might.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but harder to maintain)
Dec/17 23.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you eat it as your regular meal, then I wouldn't consider it an S. We occasionally eat chicken and waffles, and I just consider it as my meal. Now growing up, we always followed up with waffles and ice cream for dessert which would only be on an S day for my habitcal. I haven't mixed up a batch of waffles from scratch in a long time, so I don't remember how much sugar went into the mix. 1/4 cup sounds like the amount of sugar in two 12-oz. cans of soda.
osoniye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are barely OK to consider as an N day food.
But I would make them an S day treat, personally, because they are special, somewhat sweet, and would fill the S day slot without being just loaded with sugar, which I don't personally need, even on an S day.
3squaremeals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I had them yesterday on my S day but was curious what everyone else thought. I will try keep them as an S but if I do occasionally have them on an N day I won't stress about it.

My goal is to have a healthy BMI and sane eating habits with very minimal binges
oolala53

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a reasonable way to regard them. I'd be careful of relegating too many foods to S days only. You might even try the recipe with less sugar... I used to make plain biscuits that looking forward to kept me from buying a burrito on the way home from work for a long time. On Fridays, to replace the kind of bustin' out so many of us want to do, I would have one with fruit, yogurt, and a fairy dusting of stevia rather than with my savory food, as I usually did, but not every Friday.

Surf your wave!
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but harder to maintain)
Dec/17 23.8

3squaremeals

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yes, as a binger I don't want to add too many restrictions on myself at this stage. I am looking at making the recipe healthier by using whole-wheat flour, as I am trying to incorporate more wholegrains which I am certainly enjoying. I may also reduce the sugar slightly too.

Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolala53 wrote:
Sounds like a reasonable way to regard them. I'd be careful of relegating too many foods to S days only. You might even try the recipe with less sugar... I used to make plain biscuits that looking forward to kept me from buying a burrito on the way home from work for a long time. On Fridays, to replace the kind of bustin' out so many of us want to do, I would have one with fruit, yogurt, and a fairy dusting of stevia rather than with my savory food, as I usually did, but not every Friday.

Surf your wave!

After reading some of the comments, I supposed the pre-packaged waffles are sickeningly sweet even without adding syrup.

I had to look up the typical recipe we used: 2 cups flour, 2 eggs, 1-3/4 cup of milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 4 tsps baking powder, 1/2 cup veg. oil(or butter), 1/2 tsp vanilla extract , and 1 tablespoon of sugar. I know some people who use that much sugar in two cups of coffee.
3squaremeals

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that recipe taste fine with 1 T of sugar because I might give it a go next time?

Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see almost the very same recipe calling for 2 Tablespoons. If you're adding more sugar, in fruit or yogurt or something else, it should be fine. Maybe split the difference at 1.5 Tsps ?

A diabetic friend of mine told me that today most restaurants(especially the chains) add sugar to most of their vegetable dishes. After she told me that I could taste the extra sugar added as well.
oolala53

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that your need for sugar in the recipe declines over time. Try not to test it out eating any of the waffle alone. Add the fruit and yogurt. That's where most of the flavor comes from anyway. The waffle is more of a medium of texture that carries the flavor.
Jan/12-26.8
Dec/17 23.8

3squaremeals

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm not too keen on eating plain waffles, can't imagine they would taste overly nice unless they were very sweet. I use plain unsweetened Greek yoghurt then get the sweetness from some banana on top.

noni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think nothing of having a slice of toast with jam on it on an N day. That probably would be more sugar than your waffle.
Merry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eating them the way you describe doesn't sound any different to me than having cold cereal or something like a PB & J sandwich. I probably wouldn't think twice about making that an N day meal.

28.5 lbs. down, 34.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"...slim cultures...value not overeating. They don't eat more of a food just because it's good. They enjoy the food more."--Oolala

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: