Really? ......

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mustloseweight

Really? ......

Post by Mustloseweight » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:23 pm

I have had breakfast and lunch and one hour after lunch I felt empty and hollow inside and have ended up eating two bowls straight of no added sugar muesli. How cross do I feel? Fuming, absolutely fuming.

My brain automatically thinks this won't work, buy slimfast. I am sick of this merry-go-round.
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Would it help if I said that I STILL have days that I feel exactly as you describe after a meal? I've reached and surpassed my weight/fat loss goals, and I do have some days/meals where I feel exactly as you describe. It's not like that all the time, but it does happen. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why--sometimes it's due to the make-up of the meal (more carbs tend to give a feeling of "the empties" quicker than a meal heavier with protein), hormonal issues, emotional issues, etc.

In the beginning of my weight/fat loss journey, the "hollow" feeling was due mostly to the body being used to digesting a larger volume of food at meals pre-NoS, so it was still producing the stomach acid necessary to do that once I started NoS. The initial overproduction of stomach acid post-meal did give a feeling of hollowness and emptiness that was really tempting to give into. I know this is "old" advice, but maybe try drinking some water or another non-caloric beverage like tea or coffee to help make dealing with the hollow feeling a bit easier?
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks LifeIsABlessing. May I ask how much weight you lost? Did you lose it all doing No.S?
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:53 pm

You're very welcome, mustloseweight! :) I lost over 15 pounds with modified NoS. In a nutshell, I eat three meals a day, seven days a week of ANY food I want. I have tweaked it many times, but always within the three-meal-a-day framework. I started out at a normal BMI (20/21) and weight for my height, and used NoS (with mods) to lose excess body fat that had been bothering me for years. It definitely worked, and still works for me. I've been going strong for over a year and a half now.

Please feel free to read back through my posts for more details, and if you'd like, I will happily answer any questions or PMs. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Well done LifeIsABlessing. I have to lose over 100lbs. Three meals a day and exercise seems to be the answer. I am hoping that on starting out because I am bigger to start with the initial months will see a fair bit come off then I will expect it to slow down. I look forward to reading through your story.
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:15 pm

I look forward to hearing you post every time for a few weeks at least (and really longer, since it usually takes longer to get really good at it) when you outlast the hollowness urge to overeat, and to report how great the meal that followed tasted. Are you Annie? I don't see that you've used your check-in thread since May. Why not ask a few of us to follow you? Since not everyone comes to this forum to see new posts, you might go to the check-in threads and ask a few people there to follow you.

I have a suspicion that you have many other stimuli and reasons to eat besides feeling hollow. (I've just been reading The Diet Traps Solution and the authors deal with about FORTY common reasons people don't stick to their eating programs, and real hunger wasn't even one of them!) Please consider posting every time you outlast any urge to deviate. Until you learn to outlast all the false cues to eat, it's unlikely you'll be able to adopt or adjust your meals to allow you to lose weight, if that is what you MUST do. (That's your username. :wink:)

I had written a MUCH longer post, but maybe this is enough. But if I don't see you checking in, look out!
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Whosonfirst

Re: Really? ......

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Mustloseweight wrote:I have had breakfast and lunch and one hour after lunch I felt empty and hollow inside and have ended up eating two bowls straight of no added sugar muesli. How cross do I feel? Fuming, absolutely fuming.

My brain automatically thinks this won't work, buy slimfast. I am sick of this merry-go-round.
Getting angry at yourself is not productive to your mental health. Two questions:
1. Maybe I missed it, but what exactly did your breakfast and lunch consist of?
2. One hour after lunch, or even two or three hours, could you do something to occupy your mind, or take a walk to get your mind off your hollow feelings? Maybe throw yourself into a hobby that you enjoy. (hopefully not preparing food or menu's). Sometimes getting yourself engrossed into something that requires a moderate amount of mental/physical activity is a great diversion to our thoughts of eating.

When people say that their brain automatically thinks something won't work, and keep doing the same routine, it's telling them to make a change. Big changes aren't always needed to make progress. Little changes are easier to make in our routines. After a while, we can add some other tweak and continue to move forward with our progress. I'm wishing you success in your goals.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Besides, what is to stop you from eating two bowls of muesli if you feel hollow after Slimfast or anything else? I have felt hollow two hours after some very big meals. Hollowness may just be a sign that your body is getting ready to shift from using the calories you ate to some of the calories you have in storage. Don't get in its way!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:10 am

I would gently suggest that being negative after the fact is unhelpful, and perhaps even feeding the cycle. For me, being angry with myself and castigating myself mentally afterwards is a key part. I would try putting determination / strictness on high beforehand, and if you do have a fail, put compassion on high. I know this might seem counter intuitive, but has all the punishing self talk after the fact actually prevented the behavior for you? If not, perhaps time to try something different.

I know I've said this before on here, but checking in frequently, and making sure to post and celebrate all of your positive behaviors and wins is an excellent way to stay on track. Only posting in despair after a fail puts the focus on the fails, not the other 90% of the time when you are doing well. Put your focus firmly on the behavior you do want, and keep your eye on the benefits you are feeling when you stay on track. You'll get other posters cheering you on, I guarantee it.

Also, if you feel like you are slipping, posting here can help you hold on. I've done it before - been sitting at work trying to avoid the cookie barrel, and posted quickly with something like "I feel like I want a cookie, but I'm not going to do it, and I'll post back here in 6 hours". Then I am hugely motivated, because I want to be able to come back and post "I did it!".

Best of luck!

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:24 am

I actually had that happen on Sunday. I felt so hungry and started preparing a snack--and while it was heating up, I started drinking some ice water and instantly realized I wasn't hungry--I was thirsty. I'm always surprised that I can still mistake thirst for hunger. I know what thirst feels like, but why does it sometimes feel like hunger? So bizarre!

Anyway--try a favorite drink next time you feel this and see if you can stay on-plan--and as others have said, come post. Let us support & encourage you!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Just to say, water has never been able to divert me much from urges, but doctored coffee and the right tea can. But the most important strategy is my thinking, some of which has been bolstered by writing.

If you don't have time to get online, perhaps just post a similar note on your phone and vow to cut and paste it here later. Or write it anywhere. Try not to rely just on doing it in your head for now.

Ditto what ironchef said. Chastising increases the chance of repeating the offending behavior. Tough before, gentle afterwards, if needed. It's not just our opinion. Willpower researchers have found this over and over. The fact that we do it the other way so often is the reason we're often still floundering. It's a typical mistake, so don't beat yourself up over it, too!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23