First year check in

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

k1dub

First year check in

Post by k1dub » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:52 pm

I started No S after gaining weight during breastfeeding and not losing upon weaning. Before I got pregnant 4 years ago, I was *still* using Weight Watchers Momentum plan to maintain my status as a Lifetime member at goal. Once I got pregnant, I had horrible morning sickness (hyperemesis gravidarum) that once I had my daughter, I was thrilled to be eating again and didn't really stop for almost a year.

Long story short, I gained 25lbs in the two years after I had my daughter and tried and failed at the newest iteration of Weight Watchers and even calorie counting. It felt too hard and I couldn't make myself do it for more than 4 days a week, even with cash penalties on apps like GymPact or HealthyWage. I lost a lot of money. Then I came across No S diet and it seemed like it made sense so I dove in wholeheartedly.

My losses were a steady .2 lbs a week until I added back fitness at 4 months (for health reasons, secondarily for weight loss) and went up to a whopping .22 lbs a week loss. But, that was fine since I wasn't counting calories or points or starving myself. I went off-plan for the month of April for emotional reasons but re-started in May.

For the first 10 months, I can wholly say I overdid it on my S days. I'm an Alwaysian but I ate myself to sickness at least 4 times before I realized that maybe just maybe that's not healthy.

I've been focusing on "not being stupid" on my S days and my:
* stomach problems and bloating have cleared up
* eczema is clearing up (due to limiting inflammatory sugars)
* losses averaged .3 lbs a week over the past 8 weeks
* PMS is almost non-existent
* sugar cravings have stabilized

This coming year, I'm going to focus on eating more fruits and/or veggies at every meal and being more conscientious on S days. I understand losses are slow but I'm hoping that will pull 25+lbs off of me by my next annual check-in.

---
July 12, 2016: 217.4lb
July 12, 2017: 205.8 lb

Female, 35yo, 5' 3", goal: 138 lbs, 20-22% bodyfat
"All people use food for more reasons than mere nutrition." ~ Maya Angelou

Committed 7.12.16 | Vanilla No S

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 pm

This sounds very reasonable, and actually doable by sticking to the plan. Let's face it, Reinhard's 14-word NoS plan is about as basic as it gets. No hoopla, no supplements, no packaged meal plans, no penalties to pay, nothing to count other than 3 plates a day. Mix in some urban rangering or 14 minutes of shovelglove. Your goal by next check-up is very attainable.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

k1dub

Post by k1dub » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:45 pm

@whosonfirst - I do exercise already. Pretty intense HIIT based workouts 4x a week. I just have to rein it in

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 pm

@k1dub, I wasn't suggesting you don't exercise, just saying with Reinhard's methods, goals are attainable. It sounds like you're on the right track.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.

k1dub

Post by k1dub » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:38 pm

No worries. I looked up urban rangering and I tend to do that a lot as I live in a very walkable village. More walking and less driving can't hurt.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Congratulations on a successful year 1 and thanks for letting us know!

I think your plan for adding more fresh fruits and veggies in year 2 is a great way to "take it up a notch" in a safe, moderate, sustainable way.

Maybe think of it in terms of "intelligent dietary defaults?"

Best of luck and looking forward to hearing more!

Reinhard

k1dub

Post by k1dub » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks, Reinhard.

I have breakfast defaults but definitely need some dinner and lunch ones. I was just moved to measure my plates and they're are whopping 12 inches. I've made the decision that if what I'm eating doesn't have a humongous serving of fruits or vegetables, I'll just be eating off of salad plates. I really don't need any more temptation to fill my plate up just because I can.

Tiffansy

Hi

Post by Tiffansy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:01 pm

No worries. I looked up urban rangering and I tend to do that a lot as I live in a very walkable village. More walking and less driving can't hurt.

Whosonfirst

Re: Hi

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Tiffansy wrote:No worries. I looked up urban rangering and I tend to do that a lot as I live in a very walkable village. More walking and less driving can't hurt.
So you're repeating word for word k1dub's reply from five months ago? Did you morph into Tiffansy?
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Thu May 03, 2018 7:02 am

Great progress, thank you so much for sharing with us :D