Robert Lustig

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Robert Lustig

Post by Over43 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Well, about a month ago, it was a really slow day at summer school. So, I watched Sugar: The Bitter Truth with Dr. Robert Lustig (University of California, San Francisco).

Basically, to give a quick synopsis, not all foods obey the law of thermo-dynamics. The biggest culprit? Sugar, HFCS...

I have thought (and many of you old hands can probably tell me I was wrong) that a can of Coke was pretty innocuous. Well, Dr. Lustig gives a pretty good argument about not drinking my can of Coke a day, and it is is not the real thing. (Or Mt. Dew, Pepsi, etc...)

So, if you have some time, give him a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:23 pm

I have been a fan of Dr lusting for over a year now. I've watched most of his lectures online. I love his information but roll my eyes when he starts talking all his government regulation and taxation beliefs. He has recently played a roll in getting toys removed from happy meals in his area and he San Francisco schools( where he lives) will start banning chocolate milk this fall. So,apparently he is being listened to and getting stuff done there. Watching the video you mentioned has really been what spurs me in to cut out soda. Unfortunately, its hard. But when I heard him explain how sugar ,,(no matter.If it's from honey or high fructose corn syrup) Can cause fatty liver disease because sugar is only metabolized in the liver, that really scared me. I also have his book Which is called fat chance and I also have the Fat Chance cookbook.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:18 am

Sometime I need to take the time to watch this!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation