Hilltop mirages seen above mist - check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

seen_above_mist

Hilltop mirages seen above mist - check in

Post by seen_above_mist » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:54 am

Currently I'm on the second day of week two.

I spent week one increasing the amount of breakfast I eat in order to try and get through to lunch time. I now eat twice as much breakfast as before and that seems to work fairly well.

I have also modified NoS to have a large snack/small meal between lunch and dinner - but counting it as a meal so it is a planned and eaten all at one time.

A while back I did a calorie count for a couple of days to see if I could work out why I was getting so hungry in the afternoon, and basically I found that I wasn't eating enough breakfast and lunch and so had only eaten 25% of my daily calories by about 5pm, at which point I was super hungry and ate another 25% in snacks over the course of an hour or two, and then 50% for dinner.

I think it's better now, more evenly distributed throughout the day but I think it's still probably a bit too much at the dinner end of the day, only a couple of hours before going to bed, which doesn't seem like the time to get an energy boost - but on the other hand it does have to keep me going through the night, so maybe that does make sense after all.

Bosequic

Post by Bosequic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 am

How can I find out more about the issues discussed?

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Bosequic wrote:How can I find out more about the issues discussed?
Just in case this is a serious question.

http://nosdiet.com/
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 am

W2:d2 (yesterday) was a SUCCESS. Nearly lost it for some chips, but prevailed.

Today is going well so far, but it's the lunch to dinner stretch that's tough.

We will be going out to dinner today to celebrate the fact that we've just passed the 9 hour mark for hours between sunrise and sunset (was ~8.40 at winter solstice). OK, that's kind of aribitrary, but seemed like a good reason to me.

We're going to an Asian place, partly because Asian restaurants don't really do dessert, so I won't be tempted. Seems best to keep things easy at this stage.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 am

I should have welcomed you earlier. Congrats on a good start. Good idea on going to a place that doesn't do desserts well.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10 am

Thanks! :)

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:31 am

W2:d3 was a... Success? Not entirely sure as it was confusing because at the Asian restaurant there was only a little bowl so you had to keep refilling, couldn't just fill up a plate... In any case, the rest of the day was good and I feel the general principles were upheld so I will count it.

Today is going well so far.

Like I alluded to elsewhere, I am going to go to 3 weeks, and see if I've at least not gained weight from my starting point, and if I feel the whole thing is working out generally. If things are anywhere from ok to good, I will keep going for another 3 weeks, which should be enough time to have decided if I want to keep going some more.

However, I am very impatient.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:57 am

However, I am very impatient.
:? Aren't we all? Perhaps it will help to realize that 3 weeks will pass regardless of whether or not you've stuck to your plan . . . If you do stick to it, you'll learn a lot about yourself. If you don't, you'll be exactly in the same position that you were on June 1st. The questions are: which of those two do you want more and which serves you better?

That being said; this is not a game of perfection :) if you end up with a few reds, so be it. That too can be informative.

Good luck and Warm regards

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 am

Thanks gingerpie (nice name!)

I don't like things that take their own time - I want to be doing something to move them along. But, part of the beauty of the NoS diet is that you don't actually need to be worrying about it all the time. There's really only so much thinking you can do about it.

W2:d4 Success

Today is going well so far but this evening is a bit tricky because I don't know what we're going to be doing, so don't know if I should have meal 3 (the snack modification) or not because we might end up eating elsewhere.

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:59 am

W2:d5 and W3:d1 both success, although psychogically didn't feel very successful.

I have noticed that recently I am drinking* less; I'm not sure if somehow it is NoS or just a coincidence it has happened at the same time.

*as in drinking anything - water, tea - not talking about alcohol!

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:17 am

I've been sick for a couple of days so counted them as S days

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:00 am

week 3 went, mostly with me sick, so made them S days - ha, sick also begins with s, so that works perfectly. They weren't too "s" but I just didn't want to have to worry about trying to eat enough at meals, or adding being hungry to my list of woes. I think I had an extra small snack each day.

I have lost 1.5 kg in 3 weeks, but the start weight was my max, and my weight can vary by 1kg week to week or day to day anyway, so it is probably less significant than it seems. Plus I had only just gained the weight over the last 2 months or so anyway, and I think recent weight is always easier to lose because your body hasn't adjusted to it yet; its still in an unusual state so it's easy to move from there (up or down).

Week 4
W4:d1 was a red day because I'm a bit depressed this week, so I had a caramel slice - that replaced my usual meal 3 (of 4) so it was still mostly on track, just a sweet instead of savoury meal.
W4:d2 and d3 were green.