Non-Vanilla No Sers: what are your tweaks?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

k1dub

Non-Vanilla No Sers: what are your tweaks?

Post by k1dub » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm thinking of doing smaller plates for 1-2 meals a day while still doing Vanilla No-S. What do you do to tweak the plan to work for you?
"All people use food for more reasons than mere nutrition." ~ Maya Angelou

Committed 7.12.16 | Vanilla No S

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi k1dub! :)

My mod was/is to eat three meals/plates a day of any food--no restrictions. Instead of weekend "S" days, I simply eat this way seven days a week. I got the idea for this mod from NoS member "3-0-7 girl." :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:34 pm

The only mod I have needed is no snacking at all, even on S days. This has helped my keep my S days reasonably well under control. I do still have a tendency to go a bit crazy at mealtimes on S days, I allow myself sweets and seconds and sometimes eat mindlessly- I have come to the conclusion I need this release though. Its only 2 days a week and somehow by Monday I am back into N days with no problem.
Edit - I am definitely a vanilla No Ser so maybe I don't fit the criteria, oops!
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 am

My only mod is to allow fruit. When I have fruit with a meal I don't virtual plate it, I just have however much I want directly after the meal. I also allow myself to eat fruit between meals without calling it a red day (although I don't do this very rarely and try very hard to stick to only eating fruit with meals).
I CAN do this.

RhiVir2016

Post by RhiVir2016 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:39 pm

I do 4 days where I eat 2 plates a day only (Mon-Thurs, my work days). I'm still not losing! It's a work in progress - I might adopt the idea of not snacking on S days.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:54 pm

RhiVir2016 wrote:I do 4 days where I eat 2 plates a day only (Mon-Thurs, my work days). I'm still not losing! It's a work in progress - I might adopt the idea of not snacking on S days.
Why not start a daily check in to give members an idea of your meals, S-days and activities? Do you have a sedentary job, etc? In my case, losing wt. is helped with walking regularly, but everyone is different.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

babybird

Post by babybird » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:05 pm

RhiVir2016
I would also agree with the previous poster. How about having a daily check in where u write down what your eating at meals. That way some posters can guide you if needed. They r a very supportive bunch!!
Recovering from a 26 year binge eating disorder

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 pm

I have quite a few mods mostly because No S has been my default for a while. I only eat two meals + coffee with coconut milk every day—even on S days and I don't snack. Even on S day I try to keep my sugar consumption very low (preferably none at all). 90% of my meals are Whole 30/paleo because I feel excellent eating that way and the health results are too good to give up. This may look like a diet to other people but I've naturally made my way here and feel really good about it, especially now that the weight is coming off consistently.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm

I sometimes "trade" a weekend day for a weekday NWS day if there is nothing going on, on the weekend, but I'm having a social event during the week. These "trades" work for me in a way that "floating S days" did not!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 am

My main mod is that I've decided to stick to three meals a day on S days. I've been doing this for nearly 3 months. Doing 3 meals every day has made getting the habit much easier.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

k1dub

Post by k1dub » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Actually, I like the 3 meal S day idea. Did you see increased losses from it?
"All people use food for more reasons than mere nutrition." ~ Maya Angelou

Committed 7.12.16 | Vanilla No S

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 pm

Before I started 3 meals a day on No S, I was having a period of disordered eating again during which I put back the weight I had lost on previous months of Nos. So going to 3 meals allowed me to get my eating back in order, stop putting on weight, and start losing slowly.

Lin21

Post by Lin21 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Following Ladybird30 and Lifeisablessing I have similar tweaks. I have 3 meals a day, every day of the week. Anything is allowed on my plate, including sweets and snack foods, but I keep those "treats" to a small percentage, not my entire meal. (I'd like to say I use the 90/10 rule, but sometimes it's 97/3 and other times it's 81/19 LOL!)

Also, the majority of my meals are home cooked and include a fresh fruit or vegetable/salad, protein, starch, & fat. I find eating well-balanced meals most of the time keeps me energized and satisfied for several hours.

I am only losing about 2-2.5 pounds a month (I am on month 3 of really being committed) but as I see from others that have long-term success with no-s, that I should be happy with slow but steady losses.

For major holidays and extra special social occasions, I plan to take "S events" which should not derail me as they are few and far between.

Although you will see I joined here a LONG time ago, I have had many failed attempts over the years before recently committing again 3 months ago. I am feeling very comfortable with these tweaks as strict Vanilla did not work for me in the past and resulted in throwing in the towel after a couple weeks each time. This time making it my own is hopefully what makes it stick. Trying to remember perfection is the enemy of progress!
Lin21

lin47

Post by lin47 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:40 am

I am doing 2 meals a day and trying to keep obvious carbs to a minimum on weekdays.

I'd like to eliminate snacks on weekends as snacking is a really bad habit for me, and I think I'd conquer it faster if I eliminated it completely. Snacking always makes me feel out of control.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 am

Hi Lin21 - glad that 3 meals a day are working for you. Your balanced meals sound very much like mine.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 am

1. My S-Days are Friday and Sunday so I don't miss out on breakfast day at work.

2. This week, I started the 16/8 fasting plan, so I don't have breakfast until 16 hours after dinner. Except for Friday's breakfast day. :D

Elizabeth 7

Post by Elizabeth 7 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:52 am

1) My S days are Tuesdays and Saturdays (I could choose Wednesday instead of Tuesday if I wanted, but I've been consistent with Tuesdays. One weekend S day and one weekday S day. That way, I don't miss out on treats every single weekday, and there are never more than three days 'til my next S day.)

2) It's not no sweets for me; it's "no desserts." This clarifies things for me extremely well. I never wonder about yogurt, or jelly, or granola bars, or even what breakfast cereal I choose. It's NOT "no sweets"- it's "no desserts." I realize it doesn't have the same alliteration, but it works for me. And, I should clarify that this ("desserts") includes sugary drinks with calories for me; no hot chocolate, coffee with cream and sugar and the like. Those are s day treats only for me.
Strategic action, release perfection.

navi

Post by navi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm doing 3 meals a day 7 days a week, but I can have sweets if I want to. I don't have a sweet tooth, so a bite of dessert or a single mint does the trick, but 80% of the time I don't have any sweets at a meal. When I restricted sweets to the weekends it made me crave something that I don't usually care about, which seemed counterproductive (I was already moderate around sweets so why mess with it?). Therefore, I don't worry about that rule. I will also on occasion have a small dessert or a cookie or a bit of ice cream in the evening with a cup of tea before bed. Again, this is not everyday, but once in a while I indulge. I might also have an occasional cracker or two if I am starving in the afternoon, or a banana or nuts. So, all in all I am using the spirit of NoS but in sort of a loose way that works beautifully for me. In the 10 weeks I've been doing this I've gone somewhat overboard on 3 weekends, and I counted each as a yellow. Besides that I've been doing great. I've slowly been losing, 11 pounds so far, which comes out to about 1 lb per week. I'm very happy with that rate of weight loss, and extremely happy with how easy it has been for me. Vanilla noS just never worked for me (I've been lurking here for years), as it was restrictive in a way that I pushed back against. For the record, I am post-menopausal, short, and have about 40 more pounds to lose. My diet tends towards vegetarian-Mediterranean with lots of fresh veggies, fruits, beans, and a moderate amount of carbs. I've always eaten healthy foods because that's what I like to eat - but too often and too much. Sticking primarily to one plate meals (usually virtual plating) has made all the difference. I also stopped trying to make breakfast "the most important meal of the day", as I just don't like to eat in the morning. I find that eating more in the morning just makes me hungrier at lunch. So I've gone back to eating toast and coffee in the morning, which is all I really want, and I think this has contributed to the weight loss.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 pm

previous thread dedicated to this topic

https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2527
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 am

After 5 years, I've decided recently to try a mod for S days - tracking.

I recently did a few weeks of tracking what I ate to work out where my dietary defaults were letting me down (and to find out why my work trousers were getting tight). Culprits turned out to be alcoholic beverages and too-big dinner plates and bowls.

Anyway, I've decided not to continue tracking, as it is something I started No S to get away from. However, I did find out during this experiment that I really enjoyed my S days. Something about writing down (well, recording in my phone app, but you know what I mean) what I was eating on weekends, even though there was no rules or limits, meant that I avoided the mindless snackathons that I find so dreary and unsatisfying.

So, I'm going to continue (for now) just recording what I eat on S days, while the rest of the week is vanilla No S. Still allowing any S's I want, but just making a record of them. After 5.5 years, I feel like I'm ready for my S days to be really enjoyable, and this seems like a reasonable compromise. If I get sick of it after a while, I can always stop.

missywilde70

Post by missywilde70 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:39 pm

LifeisaBlessing wrote:My mod was/is to eat three meals/plates a day of any food--no restrictions. Instead of weekend "S" days, I simply eat this way seven days a week.
WHAT SHE SAID!

25 years ago THIS is how I lost weight, and am doing it again now in my late forties after taking the "fad diet tour" for many years unsuccessfully. I am glad to have found this community to be able to go to when I may stumble or feel discouraged during this journey. Although the weight is not falling off quickly like it did when I was young, I am still losing consistently but slowly. I have found after perusing this site that others that have had success with a similar NO S approach. I tried Vanilla a few times, it just didn't stick. But this way is working, and I couldn't be happier. For me, it is sustainable and effective, win-win!

Some additional things that I have found helpful:

I find meal timing is somewhat important to stay compliant consistently.
If breakfast is too early, it can make waiting for lunch extremely difficult. But personally I found I can deal with a bit of prolonged hunger early in the morning without too much difficulty, it is hunger later in the day that will turn me into a hangry monster.

Also, dinner must include a healthy helping of animal protein, otherwise I may come down with a case of the midnight munchies, which never ends well. I.E. waking up to a heaping pile of granola bar wrappers on the floor next to your bed in the morning is just plain embarrassing!

I also have two exceptions to the very well put and simply stated Lifeisablessing's Mod quoted above:

1) I do take part in the special "S" days for holiday parties, birthday parties, extra special social occasions, where I will choose to partake in the hosts' appetizers or desserts served outside of a normal mealtime. I do however keep moderation in mind, and will likely have smaller and/or healthier meals that day to allow for the extra indulgences.

2) If for some reason I find myself so hungry I am not feeling well likely due to either a very prolonged (unplanned) time between meals, or had a very small meal (maybe did not care for the food and did not finish) that did not keep me full and am feeling so hungry I feel faint, I will add a fourth mini meal of something very healthy. This happens very rarely, but I include it as an exception only if truly needed.
Missy

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Welcome Missy and thanks for the kind shout out! :)

It's ironic, because since I wrote this post last July, I've modified my mod to include part of Number 1 from your modifications lol. So I guess I now actually do take some S days occasionally! :)

I definitely continue to vouch for the effectiveness of this way of eating. It'll be coming up on two years for me, and my modified NoS has seen me through all sorts of situations. Knowing that you are restricting the volume but can have ANYTHING you want is the key for me to stay on plan. It's working--I'm still maintaining my weight less than 115 pounds at 5'5", and staying comfortably around 16-17% body fat. That's also without a grueling workout schedule!

Around this time of year, it's great to be able to "indulge" in holiday treats, moderately, with zero guilt, for any of my three meals.

For additional help with keeping a check on portion size (which is what makes my NoS modification work effectively), I've recently discovered a lesser-known diet book that shares the reduced food volume concept of NoS, but in a way that makes the visual even more obvious to me. Like Reinhard, the author found that his weight was creeping up, so he devised a plan to help him lose his excess weight. It's called "The ProportionFit Diet". Basically, you allot yourself a certain number of cups of food per day. According to the author, one cup of food (on average) maintains 20 pounds of weight. So, for instance, someone who weighs 200 pounds and wants to maintain it should eat 10 cups of food per day. To lose weight, subtract a cup or two from your maintenance amount. Simple! This has really helped me in visualizing how to divide up the amount of food I eat per day into the three meals. This also is a great way to plan ahead for a delicious dinner out or an upcoming party.

Just a recommendation for anyone who might need some additional visual aids in applying the reduced volume of food concept of NoS :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

missywilde70

Post by missywilde70 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Thank you for your comments Lifeisablessing! And I have purchased and read that book a year ago or so (and so, so many more diet books). I think that is a great suggestion to add his principles to keeping portion sizes in check, thank you for sharing!

Two years, good for you! I have about 50 to lose to be at the top of "normal" weight, trying to remind myself daily that slow loss is better than no loss.

I also somehow stumbled across this from 2014, really like this as well it is right in line with what you (we) are doing with some extra tips:

https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopi ... ht=#151495
Missy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:21 pm

How did the mods work during the holidays, ladies? Did you stick with them, or give yourself some leeway? Thanks
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 pm

I gave myself too much leeway. I won't blame it on my sweet mod, because I had been doing that successfully since last January. Even with years of Vanilla No S, I"ve struggled with holiday eating. I have 2-3 holiday dinners for company, so a lot of food and sweets. It's so hard for me to stop after those special days are over. Also, many gifts are sweets/chocolates, bought and homemade, and instead of squirreling them away for my sweet mod like a wise little critter, I gobble them down. I really thought this year would be different.

I know going back to my previous No S eating (including my sweet mod) would bring me back to my previous weight, but after a binge last night on gelato, I wondered if I would ever get back there after all my decent No S diligence and 20lbs plus weight loss.

Today, so far, is successful.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 pm

I predict you will. 8)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 am

I stuck with my “S day only tracking†right through the holidays. I did exempt Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, as I consider those “capital S†days - genuine feast days. Also, I can’t imagine how to avoid rudeness if I pulled out my phone at Christmas dinner to record the whipped cream on the trifle!

However, I’m so in the habit of moderation now that my “feasting†is nothing on what it would have been 6 years ago.

I don’t know how long I’ll continue my S day tracking mod but for now I find it sufficiently unobtrusive and effective.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:52 am

Like a few other posters have said, i’m working on having 3-4 plates a day (depending on the day) with no snacking. At this point, i’m not restricting what goes on my plate, as long as I stick with the one plate. I’m allowing myself a little bit of sweets each day, as long as it fits on my plate. I’m not taking any special S days, except for on a few special holidays (like Thanksgiving and Christmas), and my birthday.

nettee

Post by nettee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:58 am

It is interesting to see how people have come up with mods to fit their own eating issues. I have never had a problem with portion control and feel full after a moderate meal but have been a big snacker especially on sweet things. My mod is to have no sweets or snacks seven days a week but not to worry about seconds. I am eating more soup and fruit this way as I am not always fretting about vertual plating. I haven’t been met with a buffet yet but of course they are quite rare anyway so 95% of the time I have a reasonable sized meal and if I go out to eat I can indulge a bit in savoury food without feeling that I am cheating.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it