Does No S really work? I need some inspiration!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:14 am

Do you have the book? I found it was hard for me to really "buy in" until I read the book.

But yes, it can really work. I've lost about between 27-28 lbs. in a year and a half. I started and stopped too (and ended up doing more yo-yo dieting and gaining more weight in the process--and wish I had just stuck with No-S, even if I wasn't losing at the time). Read the thread about "why did you leave/come back" and you'll read all kinds of stories like yours and mine--people who left for better/faster losses & who came back heavier, wishing they had just stuck with No-S!

If you don't lose after several months, or if you start to plateau, then examine why. No-S isn't fast or flashy, and I do think it's an eating plan that needs TIME to measure it's effectiveness. I can lose, plateau for a bit, lose some more...one month I gained but I knew I was really loading my plates that month too. Focus on getting N-day habits in place for three or so months and see what happens. Can you really be worse off than yo-yo dieting again?

Welcome!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Whosonfirst

Re: Does No S really work? I need some inspiration!

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 pm

minkalue wrote:Hi! I really think this is the best way of eating for me. I am a chronic dieter. Yo-yo er with weight loss success and the. Gains. I absolutely hate the idea of eliminating any particular food group and I can't stand logging. No S is my only hope... but every time I start, after a few days I think "oh this isn't going to work.... in fact I'll gain weight..." so I give up.

Can you please give me some inspiration? Tell me that this works and I will believe you!

Thank you!!!
Seriously, you're here almost five years?
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Whosonfirst

Re: Yes

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 am

minkalue wrote:Yes @Whoseonfirst. Thanks for the support !
If you've been here for five years, reading the words of dozens of people who post their successes and failures(me included on the latter), then what else do you need?
I am deadly serious about this. I know it's a damn struggle with eating disorders, job /family stressors, you name it. Please take this to heart, and look in the mirror(figuratively) and get serious about what you want to accomplish. Other's words and attaboys or -girls will only last as long as it takes to log off of your computer or i-phone.

We have to take personal responsibility for our own actions. Please don't say you're going to give it three months, and then disappear again. Start a daily or at least a weekly log and hold yourself responsible. I'll gladly be cheering you onward, unless of course you don't want me to interact with you from here on. That's okay too. If you're angry at me, then use that as motivation and tell me to get lost, then get busy.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 am

No S can work if you are enthused by the idea of moderation, eventually on most days of the year. It is not something that responds to losing weight by a certain date. It works by a person discovering over time that she actually enjoys her overall life better when she's not eating as much as she used to, when she doesn't get as full as often, etc. It might be that she ends up eating better quality food, too. Less packaged manufactured food, less intensely salty or sweet food. But the first goal line is limiting oneself to the plate and fasting between meals. Even that can be done in stages, if need be.

With some downs and ups and downs, I lost about 22% of my weight over a couple of years and mostly maintained for four years, then lost another 10 in the last year or so, but that was from additional changes I made for health reasons. However, I was not terribly overweight in my youth and it wasn't until middle age that I got up into the low obese range. But I never had very good eating habits, at least for any length of time, and they got worse until I surrendered to No S.
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:02 pm

"surrendered to NoS"

another truth from oolala

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:16 pm

@texark Focus on loving yourself too. Could you be self sabotaging?
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 200.4
Total: -4.2

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Where in the world would you get the idea that I was self sabotaging?
edited to say: Reread your post. Perhaps you are saying that the OP might be self sabotaging.

I have been at this a long time and I see so many people that are in a state of denial. NoS works if you surrender to it in the words of oolala. If you try to game the system you are going to be spinning your wheels at best.

The first step as we have all said is to get the 3 meals, no snacks, no sweets habit in place. For some that takes a long time. For others, they just don't want to accept that and will ever be searching for a way to eat without any portion control. After the habit is established, then you can move on to moderate S Day meals. Most of us have found that we can undo an entire week's worth of N Days by having those out of control S Days. If the bingeing is going to stop, it has to be faced. Then worked on. It is work. And it takes time for most of us.

I promise you will not starve to death in between meals. This constant feeding is a modern phenomenon. Your body will never go to its fat stores for energy when it has plenty of glucose on hand.

It has taken me a long time to come to terms with reality, but I think NoS is a big dose of reality! So yes, surrender to it and as oolala also said you will come to enjoy having that light feeling and the other benefits from eating in this way.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 am

You've learned a lot! Kudos.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:26 am

TexArk wrote:Where in the world would you get the idea that I was self sabotaging?
edited to say: Reread your post. Perhaps you are saying that the OP might be self sabotaging.
Oh, dear. No. What I was being a total ding dong. I actually meant this for the original poster not you. Moving too fast... :D
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 200.4
Total: -4.2

Whosonfirst

Re: Surrendered to No S

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 am

minkalue wrote:Thanks all for the support, tough love, and insight. I can't believe I've been lurking here for five years! That was a big jolt of reality. Basically circling the drain for five years. On 8/18 I surrendered to No S. My problems have been perfection, impatience, and fear.

Perfection - if I have a red day I quit.

Impatience- if I don't see immediate results I quit.

Fear- if I gain weight I quit.

So in the last two weeks I've persevered even when I had a red day (which could have been an S day because I was on vacation!)

I've realized that snacking makes me feel gross.

And sugar makes me feel bad.

So the S days haven't been gorge fests at all.

So I'm committing to this.

Thanks again.
Good to see you getting up off the mat. Almost everyone on here has many of these days.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.

tobiasmom

Re: Yes

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Whosonfirst wrote:
minkalue wrote:Yes @Whoseonfirst. Thanks for the support !
If you've been here for five years, reading the words of dozens of people who post their successes and failures(me included on the latter), then what else do you need?
I am deadly serious about this. I know it's a damn struggle with eating disorders, job /family stressors, you name it. Please take this to heart, and look in the mirror(figuratively) and get serious about what you want to accomplish. Other's words and attaboys or -girls will only last as long as it takes to log off of your computer or i-phone.

We have to take personal responsibility for our own actions. Please don't say you're going to give it three months, and then disappear again. Start a daily or at least a weekly log and hold yourself responsible. I'll gladly be cheering you onward, unless of course you don't want me to interact with you from here on. That's okay too. If you're angry at me, then use that as motivation and tell me to get lost, then get busy.

Wow! These words are exactly what I needed to hear even though I am not the original poster. I have been on these boards for seven years through pregnancy and all kinds of life changes. I need to take responsibility for my actions and stop committing and breaking the promises I make myself. Thank you for your honesty.
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:10 pm

When I truly got that my overeating wasn't going to stop on its own, that no diet or eating plan was going to make it completely easy, that it was unlikely that I wouldn't still have inopportune urges to eat, possibly for longer than I wanted to, and when I saw that No S was so reasonable, it became doable.

If you don't do it, you'll never know.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23