Failed Naturally Slim - giving this a "Go"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MartiniGirl

Failed Naturally Slim - giving this a "Go"

Post by MartiniGirl » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello all! I just came off a failed attempt at Naturally Slim - you the know the one where you have to watch videos every week for 10 weeks?

The concept seemed easy enough, but then I started to stress about getting my meals in when I was at a certain level hunger. My job doesn't just let me leave at a certain time to go eat when I reach a certain hunger level so I ended up gorging on hunger savers aka snacks.

Despite being so "easy" I didn't lose any weight and in fact, I know I gained some.

Feeling defeated again - yeah, I have been dieting since my parents signed me up for Weight Watchers at age 11 - I came across No S.

I read the synopsis on Amazon and bought the book - love the humor, love the simplicity, love the simple rules. Looking back at the previous program, I think having to eat at a certain time and having snacks is why I failed.

Today is DAY 1 of No S. I even started on a work travel day and so far so good. I know it takes 21 days to make a habit, I know I can get through 5 days of anything before I have a non-S day. I know I can eat 3 meals on MY SCHEDULE and still be satisifed. I am drinking water throughout because I know the first few days of any new plan can be challenging.

I have hypothyroidism somewhat controlled by meds, but any diet can be a challenge for me. I will check back in a week and share my results.

I need to get over the "fill your plate" philosophy, but I am trusting in the process. Like many of you, I am sick of dieting. It's gotten me no where in life so I am hope No S is the beginning of the No Diet phase of my life. WISH ME LUCK!

:D 8)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 pm

TONS of luck and, even better, strength! Did we "talk" anywhere else? I know I recently communicated with someone about this plan. The problem I saw, at least from my meager vantage point, is that it doesn't allow for weaning yourself off the overeating habit. Also, I think it said early on that you are aiming for such a small amount of food at a time. I think that can mess with your mind.

I'm sure they've had their successes, as their website alludes to. Maybe even more than some, since it seems they target those who already have health conditions. That can speed things up, though obviously not for everyone.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MartiniGirl

Post by MartiniGirl » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 pm

thanks very much oolala! No, it wasn't me, but I get frustrated when I hear how simple something is only to find out it's not simple for me.

I just talked to some co-workers who all did Naturally Slim and while they did lose weight - they gained it back because it's truly not sustainable unless you are sitting at home with no distractions and can have food at the ready for when you hit your hunger level! Sorry, that's not real life.

I have gotten through 2 plates today. One plate at a time, right? I have dinner plans and already know I am having quesadillas that fit on my plate. LOVE IT!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:12 am

Welcome! I hope your first week goes well! :)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:04 am

I tried similar ideas about waiting till you're hungry to eat and not eating more than you're hungry for. The problem is you can fool yourself into thinking that you're hungry, although I did get pretty good at being able to distinguish real hunger. But I can totally agree about the fact that you can't always time it. The other truth is that it is not how slim cultures stay slim, and they are the best at keeping the greatest number of people slim. Yes, there are people in the world who it like that and it works for them. But slim cultures keep people slim by having routine meals at relatively routine times and routine amounts. They value good quality food, they value savoring their food, and they value not over eating. They don't eat more of a food just because it's good. They enjoy the food more. This is something you can learn over time. It varies in ease by the individual. But when you consider what your options are, it makes it a lot more worth it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:09 am

oolala53 wrote:But slim cultures keep people slim by having routine meals at relatively routine times and routine amounts. They value good quality food, they value savoring their food, and they value not over eating. They don't eat more of a food just because it's good. They enjoy the food more. This is something you can learn over time.
You've said this before in various ways, but I like how succinctly you said it here--great reminder!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks, Merry. The one thing I'd like to explain is that when I said they eat routine meals, I don't mean they eat the same thing all the time (although the French and Italian breakfasts don't deviate much), but that the components of the meals are pretty much routine, unless it's a special occasion.

This evolved for me from the three-meal structure.

Enjoy your first S days, MartiniGirl!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23