Starting a new chapter.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

levictoria

Starting a new chapter.

Post by levictoria » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for reading my post! First off, I'm not new to NoS. I actually joined in 2010 (I was 26 at the time) and it looks like I made one post on here. A lot has happened since then, which has resulted in my coming back. I'm happy to be here!

In case you were wondering, here's why I posted here once and never came back:
  • I followed this for a month and a half, and gained four pounds. :-( It scared me, I freaked out, and I went back to counting calories or whatever it was at the time.

I treated my "S" days as Friday and Saturday in order to incorporate alcohol. I also was considering each meal as a free-for-all, not eating sweets but eating things like pancakes or a salad with fried chicken and french fries.

After that happened, my husband and I moved halfway across the country for his career in 2012 and I was watching my weight slowly climb though I was obsessing counting and tracking my food.

2013 hit. I decided to go to a clinic for people with eating disorders and found out I had one. I worked with a dietician and watched my weight go back and forth while I found a "normal" way of eating for me. The big thing was DON'T COUNT CALORIES, which was not something I was used to.

I have come a long way since then, watching my weight go up to 218 in February of 2016, but have had it floating around 200-205 for the past year.

Anyway, I now know I'm ready for the next step. I currently run/walk/do yoga. I'm casually counting my calories, so I have an idea of my intake, but not obsessing. Is the weight coming off? No. I do snack. Healthy snacks, but peanuts and fruit still have calories and detract from my weight loss efforts.

I feel like NoS is part of the "routine" that my dietician was trying to get me to develop and I've just rediscovered it. I was actually reading an article online about how snacking affects metabolism and how our bodies actually need time to fast between meals in order to burn fat. It reminded me of this program, and now throughout my lunch, I've been refreshing my knowledge of this. I'm excited to be doing this again and seeing where things go.
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 200.4
Total: -4.2

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi Victoria and welcome (back) to NoS 😊 It sounds as if you have been on quite a journey, but also that you are in a great place to commit to NoS. One thing that is always said, and you may well know, is try not to worry too much about what the scales say in the early days while you are establishing the habits. More important to get a really firm grip on the basics of NoS and let it work its magic gradually over time. Good luck to you! :)
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Bluebell wrote:Hi Victoria and welcome (back) to NoS 😊 It sounds as if you have been on quite a journey, but also that you are in a great place to commit to NoS. One thing that is always said, and you may well know, is try not to worry too much about what the scales say in the early days while you are establishing the habits. More important to get a really firm grip on the basics of NoS and let it work its magic gradually over time. Good luck to you! :)
Thank you, Bluebell! I really appreciate you reminding me of that. I have one weigh in day per week right now, and I will absolutely keep this in mind!
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Current 200.4

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi and welcome back. It sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to happen in order to see success. Best of luck to you as you continue your journey.

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:20 pm

gingerpie wrote:Hi and welcome back. It sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to happen in order to see success. Best of luck to you as you continue your journey.

Thanks! Yes. I feel that way too
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Current 200.4

healthyskillz

Post by healthyskillz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Whenever I start obsessing over weight and whether or not this is working, I remind myself of the quote "Track habits, not weight." Strong habits lead to long term success. Good luck!
"Not giving up = winning!" // healthyskillz.tumblr.com
F/30-ish. BED recovered. Mod: pre-dinner fruit.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:00 pm

I responded to another thread, but welcome back!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)