Wake up call

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Teach5

Wake up call

Post by Teach5 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Today, I decided that I have to do something. I went shopping for pants. I needed a 14 but there were none. I tried on a 16 but it was way too big. I saw sizes 10, 8, and 4. I hate that I couldn't fit any of the smaller sizes. That particular style of pant fits me so well. If only I were 10 pounds lighter. I have had the No S book and MANY other diet books for years. I read them and agree but never commit. I have to start somewhere, so here I am. I can't let another decade pass without at least trying to make some changes. I never thought I would see the day when a 14 would be my pant size. I posted here because I really need encouragement.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:07 am

I gently suggest you also look at how comfortable and vital you feel from your eating, regardless of your pant size. Your body doesn't care what size you wear. It will try to protect its habits. It is not going to suddenly stop asking you for food just because you think you should weigh less. If you don't really think you eat too much, part of you will be rebelling. If you are always trying to give up the pleasure of the moment just to wear a smaller size, it can be easy to give up before you get there. But if you honestly see that you have gotten used to overeating and it is actually unpleasant later to eat too much, it can give you more strength to hold out in tough moments. Cultivate a desire to eat moderately and feel light and vital and not pushed around by food. It won't happen overnight, but weight loss is unlikely to last if these other things don't happen along with it. And No S is one of THE best paths to them. IMHO.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:33 pm

hello and welcome, the no-s diet plan is a wonderful tool to help you understand your relationship with food and/or eating. Please do commit to at least a month of good honest effort and see where it takes you. . . I think you'll be pleasantly, surprised.

Warm regards,

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:08 am

Welcome! I'd encourage you to slowly re-read the No-S book, even if you remember all the basics. There is so much in there that will encourage you and make sense to you, now that you are in a good place to hear and accept it.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Teach5

Post by Teach5 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:55 pm

This diet looks easy on paper...LOL

This first week has been eye-opening.
It's been amazing to pay attention to the amount of times that I actually eat outside of meal times. I had to pause several times a day and think about not eating something because I had already eaten a meal and wasn't truly hungry. :shock:

I see now how easy it is to overeat without even really being aware of it. I mean one can even overeat things that are typically seen as healthy.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Absolutely. It's humbling to face that MOST of our eating is actually overeating. But no need to pare down to just the essentials now, which is what so many diets ask people to do.

Reminds me of a Woody Allen skit in which he plays Socrates trying to avoid drinking the hemlock. One of his followers asks him why he seems afraid of death, since he has said the soul is immortal. Socrates answers, "It is! on paper..."
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)