Diets out there tooting it's not diet, it's a lifestyle

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

levictoria

Diets out there tooting it's not diet, it's a lifestyle

Post by levictoria » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Anyone else here annoyed at the number of various diet programs out there that claim that "it's a way of life, not a diet". What a joke!

This has driven me crazy for the past couple years. Completely unpractical suggestions that make people obsess, and then the people drop their first ten pounds, stop "following the lifestyle" and the weight crawls back on.

NoS isn't even complicated enough to call it a "lifestyle" or a "way of eating". It's just a few simple habits.

What if we change it to "NoS - Not a diet or a lifestyle" or "NoS - Just eat." or "NoS - Don't worry be happy."
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 200.4
Total: -4.2

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm

While I get where you're coming from, I have to disagree slightly, or perhaps come at it from a slightly different angle.
Yes, I completely agree that there are many many diets out there claiming to be a way of eating for life, when in fact they are impossible to stick to long term.
For me, the simplicity of NoS is exactly what makes it so achieveable. I can hand on my heart say that I can see myself eating this way for the rest of my life. I have never been able to say that about any of the many other diets I have followed over the years. I may have wished it to be true, but the reality is that I could never follow any of the rules in the longterm, because they are just not realistic.
NoS is, for me, a very clear defined way of eating which fits in perfectly with daily life, and therefore it has indeed become a lifestyle.
I like the idea of 'don't worry be happy' but a lot of us come with emotional baggage around food and eating, and sometimes it takes a bit of unpicking with the help of the tools NoS gives us, to achieve that carefree state.
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Bluebell wrote:While I get where you're coming from, I have to disagree slightly, or perhaps come at it from a slightly different angle.
Yes, I completely agree that there are many many diets out there claiming to be a way of eating for life, when in fact they are impossible to stick to long term.
For me, the simplicity of NoS is exactly what makes it so achieveable. I can hand on my heart say that I can see myself eating this way for the rest of my life. I have never been able to say that about any of the many other diets I have followed over the years. I may have wished it to be true, but the reality is that I could never follow any of the rules in the longterm, because they are just not realistic.
NoS is, for me, a very clear defined way of eating which fits in perfectly with daily life, and therefore it has indeed become a lifestyle.
I like the idea of 'don't worry be happy' but a lot of us come with emotional baggage around food and eating, and sometimes it takes a bit of unpicking with the help of the tools NoS gives us, to achieve that carefree state.
You are right on point! As someone too who has come from a place of "emotional baggage" (I was treated for an E.D. a few years ago), this method works for me. That said, i just started this last week, so I'm curious to see how my feelings will develop in a month or two or three down the road.

Glad that this is something that works for you too. :-)

I just go crazy with my coworkers doing these insane diets and call them "lifestyle changes", only to see them a month later eating a box of oreos.
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Current 200.4

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:42 pm

Yes I agree, it reminds me of the quote from the NoS book:

"Ask yourself if you can imagine staying on a particular diet for the rest of your life. If not, don’t bother starting; it’s a waste of time and will."

Pleased to hear you have found this way of eating, I am certain you will be successful, good luck as you start your NoS journey :)
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:15 am

Of course, what they mean is that a person will have to adopt that way of eating as a lifestyle or, well, you know. The difference is that No S is more similar to the ways slim societies actually eat. NO "diet" can claim that.

Theoretically, it's possible to make anything a lifestyle. It's just that the odds are better with some.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:25 am

leVictoria wrote:
I just go crazy with my coworkers doing these insane diets and call them "lifestyle changes", only to see them a month later eating a box of oreos.
LOL, that's quite the lifestyle change indeed!
Bluebell wrote:Yes I agree, it reminds me of the quote from the NoS book:

"Ask yourself if you can imagine staying on a particular diet for the rest of your life. If not, don’t bother starting; it’s a waste of time and will."
EXACTLY! No-S has indeed been a lifestyle change for me (21 months and counting!) I've never stuck with any eating plan for this long before. I also feel like I can keep eating this way for the rest of my life (and I don't get derailed by the occasional red day).

oolala53 wrote:Of course, what they mean is that a person will have to adopt that way of eating as a lifestyle or, well, you know. The difference is that No S is more similar to the ways slim societies actually eat. NO "diet" can claim that.

Theoretically, it's possible to make anything a lifestyle. It's just that the odds are better with some.
LOL, yes, theoretically! At least they are acknowledging a fact that used to be overlooked. There's a common misperception that you can follow a diet to lose weight and then just go back to eating how you used to eat, expecting to maintain. It's a cruel sock in the gut the first time you discover that it just ain't so!

That idea of "lifestyle" has permeated my thoughts as I pursue No-S. I always ask now, what changes am I willing to maintain? Because if I'm not willing to maintain a change long-term, why start it? Making a change just to lose weight, hoping I can drop that change once the weight is lost is a fallacy.

I'm really, really glad that No-S is TRULY an achievable lifestyle. The more I reflect on that through threads like this one, the more it strengthens my resolve to continue.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Merry wrote:
leVictoria wrote:
LOL, that's quite the lifestyle change indeed!
Bluebell wrote:Yes I agree, it reminds me of the quote from the NoS book:

EXACTLY! No-S has indeed been a lifestyle change for me (21 months and counting!) I've never stuck with any eating plan for this long before. I also feel like I can keep eating this way for the rest of my life (and I don't get derailed by the occasional red day).

oolala53 wrote:Of course, what they mean is that a person will have to adopt that way of eating as a lifestyle or, well, you know. The difference is that No S is more similar to the ways slim societies actually eat. NO "diet" can claim that.

LOL, yes, theoretically! At least they are acknowledging a fact that used to be overlooked. There's a common misperception that you can follow a diet to lose weight and then just go back to eating how you used to eat, expecting to maintain. It's a cruel sock in the gut the first time you discover that it just ain't so!

That idea of "lifestyle" has permeated my thoughts as I pursue No-S. I always ask now, what changes am I willing to maintain? Because if I'm not willing to maintain a change long-term, why start it? Making a change just to lose weight, hoping I can drop that change once the weight is lost is a fallacy.

I'm really, really glad that No-S is TRULY an achievable lifestyle. The more I reflect on that through threads like this one, the more it strengthens my resolve to continue.
Right on! haha
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Current 200.4

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:05 am

As I side note, laVictoria, did I already say that I visited Minnesota this June and it was just gorgeous? I LOVED all the shade! We get a bit of sun out here in SoCal... :shock:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:28 am

oolala53 wrote:As I side note, laVictoria, did I already say that I visited Minnesota this June and it was just gorgeous? I LOVED all the shade! We get a bit of sun out here in SoCal... :shock:
...and I'm sure it's AMAZING! My husband and I moved here a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised that it's not cold here year round and has a thriving arts scene.
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Current 200.4

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:10 pm

What city are you in?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23