Moderate Meal's Check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

moderatemeals

Moderate Meal's Check in

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Day 1: SUCCESS
wt: 122
Breakfast: protein pancakes
Lunch: Spinach salad, chicken and siggi's yogurt
Dinner: Potbellys, chips and Siggi's yogurt

I have a history on bingeing and so am taking a mod for weekends as to not have a full out S day but rather desserts or snacks with family/friends if I want. I tend to eat compulsively and alone when I'm tired or stressed out. I want to keep in the spirit of vanilla but just don't think I've ever had long-term success with it so am trying this mod to see if it helps.

Day 2: FAIL
wt: 120.8
Breakfast: smoothie
Lunch: chicken, green beans, yogurt
Dinner:meatballs, zucchini, pasta, pretzels, yogurt

My fail was probably the result of having a cocktail at dinner and then letting the strictness go after that. Once I had a few pretzels, I figured I might as well eat more because the day was a fail anyway. I really need to change that thinking if I want to have success. Tomorrow's a new day...and hopefully a successful one!
Last edited by moderatemeals on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:36 am

I think that's a good plan! You have to know what you can and cannot handle, right?

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:19 am

I hope it works well for you. Please let us know if we can encourage you in this.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Thank you Merry and Linda for your nice comments! I do find it so encouraging to come here and post on the boards. I used to just track in a notebook but something about posting publicly helps me. Thank you!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:45 pm

I was the same way coming into No S. My N type days weren't really the problem. I had more of a problem with an N day where I couldn't live up my expectations & weekend days where I let go of my rules & tended to go overboard. Now I have Mon-Thu N days & Fri night-Sunday S days. S days are basically N days with some S events thrown in. Last Sunday I decided to let loose & have a true no rules S day & it didn't end well. I wouldn't classify it as a binge, but it was enough food in one day that I feel like it wiped the entire week of N days out. I need more structure on the weekends & using some of the N day rules has eliminated S days that are out of control & has worked well for me!! I also catagorize my fails as. I stopped doing this for a while & got to that same point of "well the day is a fail, why stop with just a small fail". So I have SF (small fail), F (fail), & EF (epic fail). EF is the thing I want to elliminate from EVER happening!! Last week my S day with no rules ended up at EF LOL!!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Okay I'm back after way too many fails! I can't say I've been trying that hard....have had too many social events, was sick for a few days and finally now feel like I can and should get some green days under my belt. My weight is at an all-time high and I feel like my clothes are getting tight. All from mindless snacking and desserts.

Breakfast: Ezekiel toast & sunny side up egg & coffee (9:45am)
Lunch: Chicken tenders & roasted green beans & popcorn (2:00pm)
Dinner:
Treadmill: 4 miles/walk/jog intervals

Midday check in....feeling very motivated and good today. Hoping I can stay strong during my usual time of weakness...from 4-10pm! I want to wake up tomorrow feeling lighter and more in control.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:04 am

Don't let the fails get you down. Good for you for jumping back in!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Wt: 121. 2
Breakfast: egg in a cup
Lunch: chocolate chip bagel
Dinner: salad, pasta, breadstick and cookie
* ate some cookies that weren't on my plate after dinner...technically I can't call this day a success but...no urge to binge and didn't stuff myself so mainly a success!!
Run: 3 miles/ walk 1.5

Okay already down a few pounds since pretty much following No S! I'm aiming for a 21 day streak. I'm using the mod Lifeisablessing suggested and I think it's a better fit for me. I also am not trying to make my 3 meals the healthiest like I used to do. I think that sets me up for binges (which I haven't had the past few days...which is awesome for me!)

Merry- thanks for your comments!! It's so helpful to have encouraging words because while this is simple it isn't necessarily easy ;) Have a great weekend!
Last edited by moderatemeals on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Congratulations on the weight loss, moderatemeals! :)

Glad to know that my modified version of NoS is helping you out, too. :) I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the holidays this year having such a solid eating plan in place. It's such a relief and so wonderful to be able to relax and enjoy everything without worrying about all the food.

Anyway, great job on your results! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks Lifeisablessing!! Yes I really like your mod! I wasn't 100% successful yesterday as I picked at a few cookies after dinner while with a group of people but the huge success was that I didn't binge nor did I have and urge to binge. Plus it was just so simple to not worry about whether or not my meal was the healthiest or 'clean' etc. Very freeing!!

Thanks for your support :)

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch: bagel
Dinner: pizza, pop chips, choc chip cookies, belavitas
* had a few chocolates after dinner...probably because i had two glasses of wine with dinner...but not going to beat myself up over it. Weigh in tomorrow!
Workout: rest day

Feeling great about the new mod suggested by Lifeisablessing. In the past few days, having ZERO restrictions on what I am eating/planning to eat has reduced my bingeing! This is huge for me because usually I eat very healthy all day and at every meal and then just feel like bingeing after dinner on desserts, sugar, etc. For example, yesterday my only option for lunch was a chocolate chip bagel (was on the road and was all I had in the car!). I don't think I've eaten a bagel in years and would never eat a chocolate chip one but I did.And not only did it taste really good but I also didn't need to eat anything else before dinner!
Last edited by moderatemeals on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Way to go!!!! So thrilled it's working for you!! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Well had a few fails...mainly due to having a few cocktails at social events! Weight is back up at 123. I've got one more social event today but after that I don't really have much until December. I'm really need to work on getting my habit in place before the December holidays hit. I think it's a great plan for the holidays too because you can still enjoy them without being on any special diet. My main thing to work on is snacking after dinner. My binges have gone down tremendously since using Lifeisablessing's mod but I'm still snacking here and there...hence the reason my weight isn't going down. I'm about 5 pounds heavier now than I was last year and while that isn't a lot, on my 5'5 frame it does feel like a lot and I worry about it creeping up more.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:45 pm

Day 1:
Breakfast: protein pancakes
Lunch: bagel & peanut butter
Dinner: chicken tenders, roasted broccoli, chips & 2 sea salt caramels
Meditate:

* Aiming for 21 days of 3 meals a day (but anything goes as long as it's on my plate) and daily meditation :D
Last edited by moderatemeals on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Hiya - I answered your question about my progress over on my thread. (briefly: 1st cut out snacks; 2nd reduce fat; 3rd smaller portion sizes)
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:23 pm

Thank you Rawcookie!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:36 am

Would love to have you check in with Team 2017. Let's do fall together!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)