Ummm...What am I dong on the weekends?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jen

Ummm...What am I dong on the weekends?

Post by Jen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi...

I'm three weeks in to the program, which I love. On the weekends, I feel like I'm eating just to eat...like...better have this chocolate croissant (something I would never eat anyway) because it's the weekend...better eat this candy bar (something I would never eat anyway) because it's an S day...In other words, my S days are causing me to eat things that I normally never would eat no matter what the day.

How do I align my eating on S days with my true beliefs and the way I eat on non S days???

Thank you!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Some people would say it's too soon to do that, and to see if those excuses fade on their own in several months. If they don't, that's when it's recommended that a person institutes a mod. This is recommended after you've really given Vanilla, (the plan as written) a solid attempt, one aimed at changing your appetite and need for overeating, which is its real value.

Without any mod, you could simply remind yourself how good you feel on weekdays from Vanilla and ask yourself when you go to eat those panicky extras on S days if you will feel as good afterwards. Is that food really going to give you the pleasure that you want? Are you getting tricked by the brain's pattern of asking for more when more is never enough? Just as you might talk yourself out of failing on N days, you can talk yourself out of eating-because-I can or I-will-miss-it-too-much.

If you like, you can set up a separate Habitcal for S days that's titled something like Moderate S Days, and give yourself a green if you finish the day without having given in to that frantic pressure from the brain to keep the overeating pattern going. That's all it is; an attachment to that low-nutrition food that delivers calories "for the winter" and not much else. Don't resent it; it's just doing what it does when it fears a famine is coming. But you know better.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:59 am

One way to combat this is to plan ahead. What is a treat you would really like next weekend? Something you enjoy as a special treat? Have that. Eat it with a friend or with family if at all possible--shared treats are even more enjoyable! Your special treat will feel like a reward after your week--and since you've planned for a nice treat, you won't be as inclined to just inhale whatever is available.

When you do eat, try to slow down and think about the food. Are you enjoying it? If not...why are you eating it?
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:39 am

I can relate to this, and I think for me it as caused by years of going on harsh diets, which were preceded by "last supper" type eating. My thought patterns were kind of "better get this treat in before my diet starts tomorrow". If this is you, perhaps it will just take a while for your brain to trust that there will be another weekend (wow, every week!) and that this isn't your last chance.

A poster on here, I can't recall who, had a tagline I really liked that said "Respecting the Fourth S - Sometimes". Vanilla No S as originally written says "Except sometimes on days starting with S". So, the idea is that if there is something you really want, or you are at a social event, you can have some treats. It also mimics how people would have eaten a few generations ago - on a special occasion or weekend you might have a treat, like a dessert at Sunday lunch after church.

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful. I'm kind of writing to remind myself, as I often don't respect that fourth S! I need to remember that it gives me the ability to enjoy a treat if I like, it is not a requirement for me to run around all weekend scarfing down sodas and icecreams to "stock up" for the week.

Jen

Post by Jen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Merry wrote:One way to combat this is to plan ahead. What is a treat you would really like next weekend? Something you enjoy as a special treat? Have that. Eat it with a friend or with family if at all possible--shared treats are even more enjoyable! Your special treat will feel like a reward after your week--and since you've planned for a nice treat, you won't be as inclined to just inhale whatever is available.

When you do eat, try to slow down and think about the food. Are you enjoying it? If not...why are you eating it?

Yes...exactly right, so this weekend I will plan ahead. Also, I'm having problems with timing as I mentioned earlier. I'm humgry in the mornings around eight, but I have lunch at 10:45. If I eat breakfast, I'm not hungry for lunch. Is it ok to just have coffee with milk for breakfast, which helps me not be as hungry, or should I just work on not eating until 7:45.

I know...I asked a question when I was supposed to just read and thank you :)

Jen

Post by Jen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:23 pm

ironchef wrote:I can relate to this, and I think for me it as caused by years of going on harsh diets, which were preceded by "last supper" type eating. My thought patterns were kind of "better get this treat in before my diet starts tomorrow". If this is you, perhaps it will just take a while for your brain to trust that there will be another weekend (wow, every week!) and that this isn't your last chance.

A poster on here, I can't recall who, had a tagline I really liked that said "Respecting the Fourth S - Sometimes". Vanilla No S as originally written says "Except sometimes on days starting with S". So, the idea is that if there is something you really want, or you are at a social event, you can have some treats. It also mimics how people would have eaten a few generations ago - on a special occasion or weekend you might have a treat, like a dessert at Sunday lunch after church.

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful. I'm kind of writing to remind myself, as I often don't respect that fourth S! I need to remember that it gives me the ability to enjoy a treat if I like, it is not a requirement for me to run around all weekend scarfing down sodas and icecreams to "stock up" for the week.

Yes, yes, yes, so helpful because I have been on a lot of diets over the years, especially counting calories using MyFitnessPal...I do have that mentality that I better eat everything that I can eat because starting on Monday, I won't be able to. I like the S...Sometimes...That's good.

Thank you for giving me something to think about.

Jen

Post by Jen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 pm

oolala53 wrote:Some people would say it's too soon to do that, and to see if those excuses fade on their own in several months. If they don't, that's when it's recommended that a person institutes a mod. This is recommended after you've really given Vanilla, (the plan as written) a solid attempt, one aimed at changing your appetite and need for overeating, which is its real value.

Without any mod, you could simply remind yourself how good you feel on weekdays from Vanilla and ask yourself when you go to eat those panicky extras on S days if you will feel as good afterwards. Is that food really going to give you the pleasure that you want? Are you getting tricked by the brain's pattern of asking for more when more is never enough? Just as you might talk yourself out of failing on N days, you can talk yourself out of eating-because-I can or I-will-miss-it-too-much.

If you like, you can set up a separate Habitcal for S days that's titled something like Moderate S Days, and give yourself a green if you finish the day without having given in to that frantic pressure from the brain to keep the overeating pattern going. That's all it is; an attachment to that low-nutrition food that delivers calories "for the winter" and not much else. Don't resent it; it's just doing what it does when it fears a famine is coming. But you know better.
Yes...a great way to think about it because I definitely feel better when I don't eat too much...I love the long breaks between meals, but sometimes I almost get panicky that I MUST EAT NOW...that scares me and sends me back to binge-y/diet-y feelings, and kind of like...f-it, I might as well eat 42 mini-Kit-Kats.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:52 am

Jen, of course you can ask questions. People with either answer or direct you to useful threads.

That panicky feeling is the habit, the brain pattern that thinks it's helping you by keeping you eating randomly. It's not real hunger, a desire for food that nourishes. It's like a person with OCD who gets the extremely strong feeling that something terrible will happen if she doesn't wash her hands one more time. It's mistaken identity, and it will never be satisfied by washing her hands. It's a good thing to ignore, to ride out like a wave. The big mistake most people make is not waiting for the crest of the wave to go by. When they don't wait, they make the habit even stronger the next time. It doesn't FEEL like that, but the feeling is not reliable.

The pattern will create MANY thoughts and sensations to eat outside the meal structure. You don't have to be free of the desire to eat to wait until the next meal. You can have desire and still just wait. You are not starving. You ate awhile ago and will again. Just keep rowing.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jen

Post by Jen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:16 pm

Thank you so much. Your response make so much sense. I need to ride the wave. I've also learned that if I wait too long...6+ hours...I eat too much. I'll keep rowing :)

splandrea

Post by splandrea » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:16 am

I'm totally doing this too! But I'm still (slowly) losing so that's cool.
07/01/17: 258
Current: 238
Aiming for 180. We shall see...