Tea?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

frayednot

Tea?

Post by frayednot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello- complete newbie here, started this morning.
I have a question about snacking by drinking herbal tea. I know that it has 0 calories, but have you found that it inhibits your ability to bypass snacks? I guess what I'm asking is is it better to refrain from everything when you're hungry and want a snack, or is it ok to have a cup of herbal tea to calm the beast?
Also, I'm a bigtime coffee drinker and pretty much drink it all day long. So I guess it's the same question for coffee.
Thanks in advance!

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:18 pm

From the book:
“Caloric drinks (as long as they’re not full of sugar) are also acceptable snack substitutes. While liquid calories are qualitatively no different from solid-food calories, by reaching for a drink instead of a solid snack, the habit of not eating solid food between meals is still preserved, and you are unlikely to drink nonsugar drinks in sufficient quantities for it to be much of an issue, calorically speaking. So while noncaloric drinks between meals are preferable, if you’re about to break down and start snacking, it’s okay to have a glass of milk instead.â€
Personally, I am trying to train myself to sit with any discomfort instead of reaching for something to put into my mouth, but that is my choice and I've not done it long enough to know if it will work long-term. When I absolutely need something, I also reach for herbal tea or a seltzer water.

frayednot

Post by frayednot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks, Selcazare!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Oh gosh yes, tea and coffee are a wonderful way of feeling as if you've had something to keep you going without actually eating. Especially in the early days of NoS when the hunger could feel really difficult, a hot drink would definitely help between meals.
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:12 am

I love herbal tea and it helps me feel I'm enjoying something special on a cold evening, without needing to eat. If its something you'd enjoy, go for it!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:58 am

I suggest instead of thinking of tea drinking as a way to fill up when hungry, regard it as a time-honored way to take a little break. PS, try to distinguish between being hungry and just needing a fix out of habit. I don't actually have the same symptoms. It's OK to have tea in either case, but I think it's also a good idea to recognize the difference. If you're getting hungry with several hours still to go to the next meal, see if you can eat a little more at the previous meal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)