Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frayednot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Tea? Reply with quote

Hello- complete newbie here, started this morning.
I have a question about snacking by drinking herbal tea. I know that it has 0 calories, but have you found that it inhibits your ability to bypass snacks? I guess what I'm asking is is it better to refrain from everything when you're hungry and want a snack, or is it ok to have a cup of herbal tea to calm the beast?
Also, I'm a bigtime coffee drinker and pretty much drink it all day long. So I guess it's the same question for coffee.
Thanks in advance!
Selcazare

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the book:
Quote:
“Caloric drinks (as long as they’re not full of sugar) are also acceptable snack substitutes. While liquid calories are qualitatively no different from solid-food calories, by reaching for a drink instead of a solid snack, the habit of not eating solid food between meals is still preserved, and you are unlikely to drink nonsugar drinks in sufficient quantities for it to be much of an issue, calorically speaking. So while noncaloric drinks between meals are preferable, if you’re about to break down and start snacking, it’s okay to have a glass of milk instead.”

Personally, I am trying to train myself to sit with any discomfort instead of reaching for something to put into my mouth, but that is my choice and I've not done it long enough to know if it will work long-term. When I absolutely need something, I also reach for herbal tea or a seltzer water.
frayednot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Selcazare!
Bluebell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh yes, tea and coffee are a wonderful way of feeling as if you've had something to keep you going without actually eating. Especially in the early days of NoS when the hunger could feel really difficult, a hot drink would definitely help between meals.
osoniye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love herbal tea and it helps me feel I'm enjoying something special on a cold evening, without needing to eat. If its something you'd enjoy, go for it!
oolala53

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest instead of thinking of tea drinking as a way to fill up when hungry, regard it as a time-honored way to take a little break. PS, try to distinguish between being hungry and just needing a fix out of habit. I don't actually have the same symptoms. It's OK to have tea in either case, but I think it's also a good idea to recognize the difference. If you're getting hungry with several hours still to go to the next meal, see if you can eat a little more at the previous meal.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but harder to maintain)
Dec/17 23.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: