Filling foods-- post yours!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Larkspur

Filling foods-- post yours!

Post by Larkspur » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm

I find protein like chicken or hardboiled egg works, but I am trying ease off animal protein. I've had success with white beans and tomato with a little proscuitto, and with fruit smoothies that have a whole apple blended in. Pita pizzas made with whole wheat pita are good. Oatmeal is mixed for me. I feel very full at first but it doesn't always last.

What works for you?

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Turkey and stuffing(seriously). Spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna. Most cheeses(swiss, extra sharp, not cottage or ch-whizz.). Milkshakes(not very often).
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Oatmeal (what I call porridge) works for me, but only if I spruce it up - eg with a spoon of ground linseeds, some sour cream and a few berries. I think without additions the fat is a little low to last me. Steel cut oats definitely have more staying power, but I don’t have time on weekdays. Quick oats (quick microwave oatmeal) is forgotten within the hour.

Vegetarian chilli with tortillas- plenty of beans and veg, spread some avocado on the tortilla. Very filling.

Lamb shank and barley broth.

Gracie

Post by Gracie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm a lifelong vegetarian, and lentils have always been a great filling food for me! Not only are they delicious (and inexpensive), but they can be added to a variety of things. You can make chili with them, use seasoned lentils as a topping/dressing for salads, use them as the filling for a sandwich (i.e. vegan sloppy joe), etc. I primarily use lentils for dense curries (so usually they are combined with vegetables), but I like to throw them in other random dishes to add a bit of bulk. :)

If you're looking for hearty vegetables, I enjoy eggplant in dishes as well as a bulking addition. It also has a multitude of uses across many cuisines/dishes, and it holds its texture well (whether fried, stewed, baked, boiled, etc.). :)

Hope that helps!
28 year old who believes that true growth comes from stepping outside of your comfort zone.
Fun-sized (4'10"), fun-loving, and on a journey to embrace a healthy and practical approach to food.
SW (10/9): 118#
CW (11/6): 113#
GW: 105#

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Protein works well for me, two or even three eggs in the morning work well and hold me until lunchtime.
Oatmeal definitely does NOT hold me as I found out today. :x
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:26 pm

I have a special dish I created. It is grits, topped with two eggs over easy, Nalley's chilli, salsa, grated cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. One bowl, it is filling. I have noticed, for me, I need to use food combinations to keep full. A low carb breakfast leaves me hungry a few hours later. The same breakfast with a couple of slices of toast (I prefer white bread) keeps me going.

On a side note, my family is worn out on my special dish. :D
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:00 pm

On a side note, my family is worn out on my special dish. Very Happy
Well then, what a fine opportunity for one of them to cook breakfast. :wink:

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 am

Over43 wrote:I have a special dish I created. It is grits, topped with two eggs over easy, Nalley's chilli, salsa, grated cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. One bowl, it is filling. I have noticed, for me, I need to use food combinations to keep full. A low carb breakfast leaves me hungry a few hours later. The same breakfast with a couple of slices of toast (I prefer white bread) keeps me going.

On a side note, my family is worn out on my special dish. :D
"Eggs and grits. I like grits, too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?"-Vinny Gambini
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 am

I do not know. I just following the instructions. Us Idahoans are not known for our culinary skill when it comes to grits.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79