Gingerpie's 21 day challenge

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:52 pm

So, what could you choose instead of a snack after dinner?
LOL Merry - just about anything :roll: and don't I know it! I've been having a lot of issues getting myself "unstuck" from negative thinking of all sorts. I'm hoping that going back to daily check-ins will get me past the hump.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Gingerpie, it seems the answer is right in your post.You said you learned that if you eat when you get home, you'll be sorry. When it becomes clear that you are really tired of the regret from the evening snack, you'll start getting the strength to hold out. (Though I honestly think that antsy "jonesing" for food when not actually hungry is harder to take than real hunger. But even more rewarding to conquer.) It's not quite the same because you won't necessarily physically enjoy your breakfast after no evening snack the same way you enjoy dinner after no pre-dinner snack because they physiology isn't the same. But the mental reward is sweet, too.

Wean yourself off it somehow, if you have to.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:43 am

Oolala, I think your right that I know what I need to do. I just have to accept the discomfort of doing it. I think we often know the answer to our own questions if only we have the courage to listen to it.

Happily, I seem to be moving past the feeling of mourning that I carried for such a long time. Each new limitation that I had to set for myself brought with it such sadness. I just didn't want my youth (symbolized by eating whatever I wanted in whatever quantities I wanted) to be over. What do I care if I "can't" eat treats 30 times a day anymore? Of course I don't care about that. . . I do care about watching that freedom- which I always associated with youth- slip away. "watching my sugar" or following a "heart healthy diet" is something old people do. When did I get old? I don't like it. That being said, I have very strong incentive to make sure I age as gracefully as possible and with the fewest number of issues as I can manage. In terms of physical health. I still see No-s along with a lowish-ish carb/reasonable heart healthy diet as my best avenue to success.

enjoy your day where you are.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:58 am

THAT is a very interesting insight. I never felt after age ten that I could eat whatever I wanted so I never associated it with youth. I'm kind of that way about keeping my long hair, though that is more about a concept of femininity that I have for myself but not for others. I'll keep any discussion on that to my thread.

I held on to overeating for decades partly because curtailing my eating to me meant 1) I didn't accept myself as I was; 2) I was giving in to what I call a false idol: the cultural tyranny of thinness;and 3) I was cowtowing to male fantasies. (Not to mention all the reasons that don't have much to do with values.) Yet all that overlooked that there are very good reasons to eat moderately even if the results get a woman thin and the object of men's admiration! And there are good reasons to do it even when it doesn't get you those things.

BTW, I didn't mean to be ordering you around regarding "wean yourself off X somehow." I just meant it's okay not to make yourself go cold turkey on it. Just because you see it's not in your best interest doesn't mean you have to wrench it out of your life. Then again, sometimes really seeing through things can make it a lot less like wrenching.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:31 am

hi gingerpie, always nice to see you here. I definitely find I improve by checking in frequently to the supportive community here :)

My husband has a chronic illness, which is managed in part by medication, in part by being careful with our lifestyles (low stress, good quality sleep, regular exercise). Limitations, even positive ones that keep us free from ill health, can still feel like the curtailing of freedom. Restraint is sometimes the toughest virtue!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:00 pm

I think I might actually be at a turning point. I am so massively tired of my 8:00 am self resenting the decisions of my 8:00 pm self. My 8:00 pm self is a devil-may-care, throw-caution-to the-wind kind of person and my 8:00 am self is a I-can't-believe-what-you-did-last-night sort of person.

oolala, I think you're right. It seems as though I finally like the feeling of the 8:00 am person more than the feeling at 8:00 pm.(i.e. the benefits of compliance outweigh the benefits of non-compliance.) I keep making pro/con lists of eating in the evenings and the pro side keeps getting shorter and shorter. Well, at this point it's pretty much blank. Soooo, what am I waiting for? I might as well take that last step.

I had the thought yesterday (don't know if I read it or if it came to me on it's own free will. If I stole it from somebody here I apologize) Why not just behave as though I'm the person I want to be? Even if I'm not that person yet, if I act as though I am I'll be one step closer.

Well, as you all know. Morning resolve can dissolve in the face of evening cravings. But right now, I'm feeling pretty confident.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Gracie

Post by Gracie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Good luck with your day, gingerpie! Let us know how things go. :) It's awesome to see you starting your day off with such a positive attitude. Oftentimes, that's half the battle right there.

~Gracie
28 year old who believes that true growth comes from stepping outside of your comfort zone.
Fun-sized (4'10"), fun-loving, and on a journey to embrace a healthy and practical approach to food.
SW (10/9): 118#
CW (11/6): 113#
GW: 105#

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:55 am

Welcome to the group Gracie, I think you'll find us a happy band of folk.

Well, I made it through the evening save for two saltines that I absentmindedly stuck in my mouth before I remembered no to. I also slept like a baby last night. Not a coincidence I'm sure. Eating well has proven to be the best remedy for insomnia. With that knowledge, I plan to repeat the prescription today!

I have to go to a meeting tonight that I'm already ready dreading because they are long and boring. Oh well, someone has to save the word. :wink:

Good luck today everyone.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Two saltines is a definite improvement!

Maybe put a notification on your phone or something to remind you at a certain time after dinner to come back and read your 10/10 5 a.m. post. (It was 5 am here; maybe it was 8 am for you.)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Gracie

Post by Gracie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome, gingerpie! I feel so fortunate to have found this forum; everyone is so supportive of one another. :)

Wow, I'd say that munching on two additional saltines is not too bad! I feel like when I screw up, it's an entire SLEEVE of crackers. 😂

Hopefully your meeting wasn't too bad! It's a dreary, rainy morning on my end, so I'm hoping this doesn't encourage me to indulge in lots of comfort foods. Wishing you and everyone else a successful and happy day!
28 year old who believes that true growth comes from stepping outside of your comfort zone.
Fun-sized (4'10"), fun-loving, and on a journey to embrace a healthy and practical approach to food.

jenji

Post by jenji » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:24 pm

Wow, what you said about your 8 AM self resenting your 8 PM self struck a chord with me. You captured something that I feel in a lot of places in my life. Why am I stricken with guilt about a work chore while in the shower, or on the subway, when I cannot do it, but not at work? Why does it seem easy to change my habits at one time, but impossible or not even desirable at another? I feel as though if I could get my two selves to meet one another and even like one another, I could accomplish so much...
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 am

I did ok last night. 1 hand-full of nuts. Not a success but also not a flaming failure. I'm actually really struggling in most areas of my life. I'm am literally a month behind schedule on organizing an art contest for a group I belong to; I also am way behind with scheduling household repairs/maintenance; I get through work but not with much enthusiasm; exercise has dropped to practically non- existent. When I do nothing I mean I do nothing: browse the web, or worse, get sucked into the facebook time warp.

Well obviously, I'm not very happy with myself right now. My plan for today is just to stay fully engaged with each task in front of me. At the end of the day, eat no snacks and make a plan for the weekend. We have a bunch of social stuff that I'm obligated to cook for and right now I'm really not feeling any of it.

Hope you're all well.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:24 am

I thought I was reading my own post, except for the art show. And I'm not as down on myself for all of it as I have been.

Hang in there! You deserve your own compassion. Even the Buddha said so...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

As I was eating my savory oatmeal this morning, I wasn't very enthusiastic about it. I had mixed leftover quinoa bowl knock-off with my morning oatmeal but misjudged how much liquid I would need. It turned out gummy and all around less than ideal. At first I though "Well, it's what I have and I'm committed to savory oatmeal for breakfast on weekdays." But I was pretty resentful. Then it popped into my mind that I didn't have to eat it. I was eating it because it is very nutritious as well as helping me meet my dietary goals. I ended up being happy that although I was in a bit of a funk that I was taking care of my health. I added a bit of hot water and enjoyed it well enough in the end.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Not that my approval means anything, but I think this is progress. I certainly think we should eat food we enjoy, but I found I got too attached to having a "great" eating experience every time. A health educator years ago said to eat when we have the keenest desire for the plainest food. It doesn't have to BE plain, but we don't need to DEPEND on terrific flavor always.

I love savory oatmeal and mix other grains in. I think quinoa adds a fun crispiness, though it's pretty dense.
Last edited by oolala53 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Don't know why I'm talking so much today but so it is. I was commenting on someone else's thread and realized that it might be helpful to record "shades of red" for awhile. I find the HabitCal a bit discouraging because it doesn't have a way to show imperfect improvement. So, what I'm thinking is to try a 21 day check-in whereby I record only my night-time snacks in detail. It will provide a way to acknowledge less than perfect improvement.

We shall see how this works out. I generally don't like feeling "obliged" to check in everyday but maybe for only 21 days and it's a worthy cause.

Here we go:
Oct 11th/Day 1- 1 largish handful of peanuts and a small glass of red wine.
Oct 12th/Day 1 - 2 pita crackers and a large glass of red wine
Last edited by gingerpie on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jenji

Post by jenji » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm

gingerpie wrote:Oolala, I think your right that I know what I need to do. I just have to accept the discomfort of doing it. I think we often know the answer to our own questions if only we have the courage to listen to it.

Happily, I seem to be moving past the feeling of mourning that I carried for such a long time. Each new limitation that I had to set for myself brought with it such sadness. I just didn't want my youth (symbolized by eating whatever I wanted in whatever quantities I wanted) to be over. What do I care if I "can't" eat treats 30 times a day anymore? Of course I don't care about that. . . I do care about watching that freedom- which I always associated with youth- slip away. "watching my sugar" or following a "heart healthy diet" is something old people do. When did I get old? I don't like it. That being said, I have very strong incentive to make sure I age as gracefully as possible and with the fewest number of issues as I can manage. In terms of physical health. I still see No-s along with a lowish-ish carb/reasonable heart healthy diet as my best avenue to success.

enjoy your day where you are.
I've been thinking about this, and I wonder if you can pursue some of that "youthful" freedom in some other way, in some area of your life? Could you put a dollar into a jar every time you think of snacking, and then go away on a spontaneous weekend with it? Or take an art class? Or go dancing with your friends? Or something that says youth to you...
I am 5' 7.5"

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:17 pm

If this helps, Gingerpie-- I really believe that our bodies get used to releasing insulin at certain times. If you usually snack after your dinner, your pancreas may be doing its thing and releasing insulin which causes your cells to clamor for food. If you stop eating after dinner, I really think it may get much easier once your body gets the memo. That is, if it's not genuine hunger, from not enough or too early a dinner. My pet theory is that a lot of unwanted eating is due to disordered insulin regulation. We put it down to greed or emotional distress but I think it is a biological response.

Anyway, this line of thinking helps me when the munchies strike!

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 am

jenji wrote:Wow, what you said about your 8 AM self resenting your 8 PM self struck a chord with me. You captured something that I feel in a lot of places in my life. Why am I stricken with guilt about a work chore while in the shower, or on the subway, when I cannot do it, but not at work? Why does it seem easy to change my habits at one time, but impossible or not even desirable at another? I feel as though if I could get my two selves to meet one another and even like one another, I could accomplish so much...
LOL, I used to always tell my teens that their future selves would really appreciate it if their current selves cleaned their rooms! They knew I spoke truth! But sometimes it's hard to motivate current self...
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Oct 12th/Day 1 - 2 pita crackers and a large glass of red wine
Oct 13th/Day 3 - 1 small glass of red wine.

The strict accountability seems to be paying off.

I have a lot of cooking to do this weekend and I'm not enthused. I think my kids are beginning to suspect that I hate to cook. I used to enjoy it but 20 years of non-stop obligation has sucked the joy out it for me. Unfortunately, I'm too cheap to use prepared foods and, in any case, I'm dubious about their healthiness. And, quite frankly, my cooking taste better. If I have to cook . . . I want it to at least meet my standards. So, most everything is made from scratch. Enough whining. I have to go marinade a salmon fillet.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Good for you, Gingerpie!

I get a couple of Blue Apron meals a month. It has been a nice introduction for my daughter to cooking, and my husband and I get to try things I would not have the oomph to plan and shop for.

I was pretty Vanilla last week and low and behold, that was a good thing :)

jenji

Post by jenji » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Larkspur wrote:Good for you, Gingerpie!

I get a couple of Blue Apron meals a month. It has been a nice introduction for my daughter to cooking, and my husband and I get to try things I would not have the oomph to plan and shop for.

I was pretty Vanilla last week and low and behold, that was a good thing :)
Ooh, I like that idea for getting my kid cooking without me having to order her around. Hm...
I am 5' 7.5"

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Oct 12th/Day 2 - 2 pita crackers and a large glass of red wine
Oct 14th/Day 4 - 2 small bowls of chips/2 small glasses wine - Woke up a million times last night. Most probably due to the chips and/or 2nd glass of wine.

Nice moderate day yesterday despite hosting a brunch. Dinner was a weird though as I decided to have 1 scone and 2 slices of butter bread for dinner. Right now, I'm regretting that decision because this morning my husband decided to make poffertjes (a Dutch mini-pancake). Lunch is planned as a sandwich pick-nick with friends and dinner is a pasta dinner with the High School Cross Country team. I already feel gross and definitely on carb overload. I guess I'll cut a lot of vegetables to go with the sandwiches to take to lunch and hope someone brings a huge salad for the pasta dinner. Without exaggerating, I think by the end of today I'll have eaten more carbs this weekend than I have since the beginning of the month combined.

Hope you're all well.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Oct 14th/Day 4 - 2 small bowls of chips/2 small glasses wine:Woke up a million times last night. Most probably due to the chips and/or 2nd glass of wine.
Oct 15th/Day 5 - No snacks - 2 small glasses red wine. Woke during the night with anxiety.

Yesterday was far less carb loaded than I had anticipated. I had misunderstood lunch and there was no picnic planned then my husband went without me to the cross country dinner so I didn't have to deal with 20 pounds of pasta :) Unfortunately, I succumbed to some stress eating (two small bowls of corn chips and one small bowl of ice cream) before I sat myself down and started working on the art contest but that all happened at 3:30 not after dinner so I'm still counting after dinner no snacking as a win.

I've noticed a definite uptick in my anxiety and general moodiness and I'm fairly certain it has to do with the wine in the evenings. Starting today, I'm going on a wine hiatus to verify my theory. It's hard to tell because I also have several other things hanging over my head so it's difficult to discern if the anxiety leads to the wine or the wine leads to the anxiety. Either way, it wont hurt to go tea-total for awhile.

I feel like I've done this before and have conveniently forgotten that I can't have wine every night. Pretty certain it should be an "S" for me.

Gracie

Post by Gracie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi, gingerpie!

I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety lately. :/ I'm also a fan of wine in the evenings, so I'd be interested in hearing how cutting it out of your nightly routine works for your anxiety. I wouldn't say it's a struggle of mine, but sometimes I find myself relying on the wine to suppress stress and help me sleep (which is probably not ideal).

Anyhow, I hope you're feeling okay!

xx

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:54 am

Oct 14th/Day 4 - 2 small bowls of chips/2 small glasses wine:Woke up a million times last night. Most probably due to the chips and/or 2nd glass of wine.
Oct 15th/Day 5 - No snacks - 2 small glasses red wine. Woke during the night with anxiety.
Oct 16th/Day 6 - 4 mini rice cakes and no wine

Slept great until the dog woke me up at 3:30 because he needed to go out. Apparently, we forgot to let him out before we went to bed. I did a few small chores while I waited for the dog but then wasn't able to go back to sleep. But I don't feel terrible. At least not yet.

I haven't weighed myself in several weeks. I never was one to weigh regularly but I was definitely aware of my weight and I always know what I weigh within a few pounds. It seems I've had a subtle but profound shift in thinking. Although I was always motivated by non-weight/non-vanity related goals I also had an underlying pull of weight-loss-for-vanity's sake as well. That part seems to have disappeared and it's made all my thinking easier. I've fully and deeply accepted that it really doesn't matter what the scale reads. I'm as healthy as I am; my weight is what it is; I'm as old as I am; as active as is possible for me; as organized and capable as I'll ever be and although I may make small changes over time what I see when I wake-up in the mornings is what I have to work with. Guess what. That's good enough. It seems a bit counter intuitive. If I'm good enough than why have any goals at all? I don't know the answer to that other than "because I'm human and that that's what we do." I feel stronger and better able to tackle the challenges of the day because I trust myself to be good enough.

I must say, this is an amazing feeling and I hope you all can experience it for yourselves.

Warm regards to you all.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Thank you for sharing that gingerpie. I’m awake here at 11:30pm, thanks heartburn, and this was such an uplifting thing to come here and read.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:51 am

I'm pretty sure a lot of humans lived without a lot of daily self-improvement goals for a few thousand years, religiously-oriented ones excepted. And Ben Franklin.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am

Oct 17th/Day 7 - no snacks/no wine

Slept great and awoke earlier than need be. No Anxiety whatsoever. How could I have forgotten how much I enjoy feeling rested and in control?

Ironchef, I'm glad my ramblings are sometimes useful although I'm sorry to hear your reading them at 1:30 am. I've never been susceptible to heartburn but I resent anything that keeps me up at night.

Oolala, yes you're right. Self improvement as a hobby is a luxury brought about by our good fortune.

Nothing going on today other than wanting to really put it into my memory-banks that I feel a million times better when I don't eat or drink alcohol before bed.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:46 am

LOL, to quote Ben Franklin, "I like a speckled axe best."

What a lovely reflection, Gingerpie. I tend to be on board with that too. But I realize I'm lucky to be married to someone who seems to be happy with me the way I am. It would be a lot harder if the reflection I saw in his eyes was not enough in some way (or too much :))

Glad you're sleeping well!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 am

I suspect that self improvement didn't get big until the Industrial Revolution and people saw some who accumulated incredible wealth and aspired to change their lot. And it's also because societies that value material things get stuck on the hedonic treadmill where people get acclimated to the new standard and then want more. On weight loss sites, I see it so often that people are always thinking they have to set a new goal or challenge to keep them going.

Not to say that I'm immune to those twinges of wishing I my body would use up some of its fat and build a little muscle. I'm not overweight, but 28% fat might be a little much. Though my body seems to sustain it effortlessly.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Oct 18th/Day 8 - 2 small bowls freeze dried peas/ no wine

Definitely sleeping better (fell asleep quickly and didn't wake at all) and feeling less overall anxiety. I still feel like a have a million things I need to get to but that's probably because I have a million things I haven't done yet.

We might be gearing up for a go-round of the flue. My daughter said her skin hurts and she feels like she's going to throw-up. It's been years since we've had to deal with household sickness. I hope her immune system is up to the task at hand.

Enjoy your Thursday. . . one day to go.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Good luck not getting sick! My youngest daughter and I felt super tired for one day but we seem to have kicked it off. My poor middle daughter home from college is still hacking.

Gratz on the good sleep. It's the best, isn't it? Once in a while conditions are perfect and it's like sleeping in a fluffy cloud with my nice husband next to me. Other times my nice husband is making the bed so hot it's like sleeping next to gently snoring fusion reactor...

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Oct 18th/Day 8 - 2 small bowls freeze dried peas/ no wine
Oct 19th/Day 9 - no snacks/no wine: Had a late dinner. Chinese takeout.

So, yesterday was weird. The day was normal until I went to my daughter's cross country race. It went on forever and we ended up not eating 'till after 7. The team always provides fruit and granola bars for the runners so at least she had something but I was out of luck. Of course I overate when I finally did eat and I wish I had paced myself a bit better but overall I feel okay with it largely because I've been successful this week and I feel like this is just the kind of real life event in which we should be flexible.

jenji

Post by jenji » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:31 pm

I hope your daughter does not have the flu! Is this the same daughter running XC?

You did well to not eat the granola bar. :)
I am 5' 7.5"

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi Jen, no it was a different daughter. Thanks for all your support btw. It's always nice to know someones reading. :wink:

Oct 20th/ day 10 - no snacks/2 glasses wine

Good day overall. Friday is an s day so but it's usually only dinner that I rake as an "s". And tonight, my wine. It did effect my sleep by the way. I guess I'll have to add a glass ceiling of 1 glass.

Beautiful day here. I have to go enjoy it. Have a nice weekend everybody! You too lurkers 8) :wink:

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:38 pm

So the site was down for a day or so and now my whole timeline feels out of whack :roll:

That's okay. It was getting too long anyway and I'll just start over today. Daughter is still stick so it's off to the doctor as soon as I can get an appt for her. I had to take a day from work to do it as my husband has his own appointments today and, of course, he actually has to work. Why do unexpected days off always seem sweater?

Hope you're all well,

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:57 am

Oct 23rd: 1 small bowl of chips/ 1 small glass wine

Still struggling to keep my motivation where it needs to be. I did run yesterday so I'm feeling pretty good about that. In terms of diet I think these are the area that I need to tackle.
1) leaving the table just a bit overfull
2) Impulsively putting food in my mouth when I don't really want it
3) Officially make wine an "S"

Not much going on. Daughter has two ear infections as a result of last weeks flue. She's feeling pretty miserable.

Hope you're all well

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Oct 24th: 1 small bowl chips/ 0 wine

I discovered this guy yesterday and posted a link on the general discussion page. https://jamesclear.com/

What he is saying (overall) makes sense to me and has helped to settle my thoughts on a few issues. Most notably on the topic of motivation, which is something I've been struggling with for awhile now. In a nutshell, his idea is that motivation is fine in a quick start, kick in the seat of the pants sort of way but that eventually repeated work is going to lead to boredom. Outward focused goals such as weight loss or appearance aren't enough to overcome the tediousness of the work and the allure of not doing the work. What is required to maintain the effort is a shift in how we identify ourselves. A bit similar to the idea of self-fulfilling prophecy. When I identify myself as someone who doesn't eat sweets (or at the vary least, I want to become the kind of person who doesn't eat sweets) That is a much stronger position than being the kind of person who can't eat sweets. The goal is becoming the person who doesn't eat sweets. The goal is not "I want to look a certain way".

Edited because I don't know what happened to 1/2 my post :roll:

So, somewhat related and somewhat not: posting everyday doesn't really work out for me. Although it's helpful in terms of accountability, once I'm on I waste waaaaay too much time on the web. On the way home today, I'll stop and pick up $31 in $1 bills so that I can create a money chain based on whether or not I'm successful with my evening goal. That's all I'll be measuring for now. Hopefully, this will both reduce the amount of time I waste and maintain a high level of accountability I might even make it highly visible to the fam. I haven't decided that yet. On the one hand, it's probably good that kids see that adults struggle with goals and problem solving happens throughout our lives. On the other hand, I don't want there to be too much focus on my weight.

Man! I just realized that the goal isn't the weight. The goal is that "I want to be the kind of person who isn't dependent on evening snacks." More importantly, I want to be the kind of person that can finish the Rachel Carson Trail Challange and that means I need to choose my actions based on that identity.
http://rachelcarsontrails.org/rct/challenge ? How could I have forgotten so soon?

Have a great day everybody and don't forget to enjoy your journey.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:59 am

Oct 25th: No snacks/no wine

I wasn't able to stop at the bank yesterday so that's a disappointment. Especially because I would have been able to start my chain. Oh well, today is another opportunity.

jenji

Post by jenji » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:28 pm

I do think there is something in the identity idea. I think of myself as someone who does not drink soda/pop, and even though I actually do drink it on occasion, that identity has kept me from any habitual consumption. I am trying to get to that with my No S habits, so that it feels automatic and in fact weird if I eat sweets during the week.
I am 5' 7.5"

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:40 am

Oct 27th: 1 small bowl chips/ no wine

Feeling really good today. I've made my run 4 days this week and today is a "rest" day so I'll just walk the dog after work. It always amazes my that I go through these spells of not running when I know that I feel a hundred-million times better when I do. *sigh* the imperfections of being human I guess. I've also gone quite a few days with little or no wine in the evenings and that, I think. has also helped to snap me out of my funk.

Any non-exercisers out there, I really encourage you to start something, anything today. 4 years ago I started out running only 15 seconds or so out of my walk and then slowly, slowly, slowly built up my time. Can't walk yet? Then start there. Walk outside for a minute turn around and walk back. I am such a huge proponent of the start tiny and build up slowly method. No, you wont be running in the Olympics this year and no it wont cause a dramatic weight reduction by the end of the year but does that matter? You most likely aren't going to run in the Olympics or lose a lot of weight in a month or two anyway.

Anyway, enough of my soap-box. I feel so good, I want everyone else to feel it as well :wink:

jenji

Post by jenji » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Yes, I love the tiny workout, too! I run 2 miles a day, almost every day, first thing. Most "real" runners would say that's not long enough, but the stamina it gives me is great. Plus then if I throw in my normal walking, I usually do 8000-10000 steps a day.
I am 5' 7.5"

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:23 am

I always joke that exercise is the only thing I forget I like! Nice work ginger!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Ugh!! Miserable, cold, rainy weather around this neck of the woods. It's going to be hard to motivate myself to run.

The weekend has been fun. Out to a local pub for a beer and a bite. (Ended up distinctly overstuffed - I really have to work out a plan for that) Then the next day went to a 5k (to watch not participate) It's a huge local event and feels very community oriented. Today, I have an intimidating "to-do" list, which sucks, but I'll give it a go.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:43 am

Sorry about the rain and the to-do list. Glad you found a bit of fun though too. I wish it would rain a bit here....
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Hey Linda, thanks for checking in. 😊

Has it been a month already? My, time flies! Overall doing well and feeling good. I've had about a 80% success rate in terms of no-s, 99%success with running/exercise, and 10% success with "extra" chores. - Those things that should get done but aren't vital for day to day functioning.

I've been playing with the idea of improving everything by 1%. (An idea I got from James Clear) and it's been going well. Out of bed 5 minutes earlier, make 1 dinner menu for the week, add one stretch to the end of my run, buy 1 Christmas gift today. . . things like that. It's a method that works for me. Lots and lots of flexibility regarding what 1% means yet always looking for that next best decision. It reminds me of something that someone mentioned, that they used the method of asking themselves " is this my best choice right now". I guess either method keeps me present and focused.

Hope you're all well and enjoying your day.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:23 am

Nice work ginger! 99% success of running is amazing work!

I like the idea of just 1% improvement - a few minutes earlier, a few extra chores, a little extra exercise :)

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:26 am

gingerpie, I like the idea of doing 1%. I can see this helping me in lots of areas.
Starting size 14
Current: 14
Goal: 8

Began NO S on 11/27/2017

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:30 pm

My compliance in December wasn't all that great -45%- or so. It helped to participate in the December challenge and, more importantly, to make brief notes regarding the failures. It revealed some hard truths about my efforts. Specifically, that pretty often I don't really try all that hard. I'll keep a record again this month and see if I can get some improvement on my evening weaknesses. I think it boils down to; am I willing to be uncomfortable in the evening (I'm assuming temporarily) in exchange for feeling better overall?

My compliance through the day is pretty solid although December is always a bit of an extra challenge. I consciously, focused on not eating between meals even on "S" days and that worked out pretty well. Sweets just don't have the same pull that they once did but boy-o-boy those cheesy, dairy rich savory foods sure did get me. Over eating at meals was a definite issue.

I've also had a bit of a hard time keeping up with my running the last two weeks. My "good" excuse is that it is seriously, bitter cold around these parts. But, I really need to just get geared up and go. Even just getting the dog out is helpful to clear my head and "get the stink blowed off" as my dad would say. Of course the dog can't stay out long either but we discovered a product called Mushers' Secret that is a wax to put on his paws. It really helps protect him from the snow and salt and he is clearly much more comfortable.

Happy new year everybody. Here's to success in 2018

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi gingerpie (your name always makes me smile).

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi ! I was reading back on your posts and want to encourage you - I posts on another forum

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/

If interested, just click on the Recent Posts tab and the January 2018 challenge will pop up. I am Linda Sue on there.

They have a monthly challenge (started by a different poster each month, one of the categories is for those who wish to avoid their daily wine- they support each other in this effort by putting each other's names in their pocket - either literally or but just wishing them well - and call themselves pocket winos. They have a lot of fun.) It is actually a forum for intermittent fasters but they have a lot of different people there, some who have chosen the NO S lifestyle.

I used to drink a glass of red wine each night but decided that I could get the resveratrol benefits in other ways - the wine affected my sleeping and I didn't want the puffy look the next morning or the added calories.

Sounds like you are doing fine and ready for the new year. I will be keeping tabs on your journey :D

Also, wanted to warn you to be careful running in this frigid weather, it is also very cold here in the Missouri Ozarks (below zero actual temps this week). I had a friend who ran in this type of weather and suffered lung damage, rare I am sure but be careful.
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Berry

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Happy New Year to you too! Wishing you all the best in 2018.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Oh I'd forgotten that you can see stats for your compliance, thanks for the reminder! It's nice to be able to see any improvement even if the successes aren't as frequent as we would like.

Something that (mostly) works for me is thinking 'can I really not live without this snack/dessert/second helping for at most four more days?' It puts things into perspective a little, it's much easier to accept that I can't eat what I want for a few days rather than the feeling that I could never eat anything nice ever again when dieting!

jenji

Post by jenji » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:51 pm

gingerpie wrote:My compliance in December wasn't all that great -45%- or so. It helped to participate in the December challenge and, more importantly, to make brief notes regarding the failures. It revealed some hard truths about my efforts. Specifically, that pretty often I don't really try all that hard. I'll keep a record again this month and see if I can get some improvement on my evening weaknesses. I think it boils down to; am I willing to be uncomfortable in the evening (I'm assuming temporarily) in exchange for feeling better overall?

My compliance through the day is pretty solid although December is always a bit of an extra challenge. I consciously, focused on not eating between meals even on "S" days and that worked out pretty well. Sweets just don't have the same pull that they once did but boy-o-boy those cheesy, dairy rich savory foods sure did get me. Over eating at meals was a definite issue.

I've also had a bit of a hard time keeping up with my running the last two weeks. My "good" excuse is that it is seriously, bitter cold around these parts. But, I really need to just get geared up and go. Even just getting the dog out is helpful to clear my head and "get the stink blowed off" as my dad would say. Of course the dog can't stay out long either but we discovered a product called Mushers' Secret that is a wax to put on his paws. It really helps protect him from the snow and salt and he is clearly much more comfortable.

Happy new year everybody. Here's to success in 2018
I put vaseline on my face for runs in this weather (when I do them, lol), and it helps a lot. Otherwise the skin around my eyes gets terrible windburned and puffy. That plus a face mask and I'm good to go.
I am 5' 7.5"

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 am

Wow, great work still running in such arctic conditions!

I was thinking of you this week as I'm doing a "dry January" - joining a few friends in not drinking for a month. Partly I'm interested to see how my heartburn goes, but also just because I want to prove that I can.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:56 am

Hi Gingerpie- thanks so much for stopping by my page. I really appreciate the encouragement! Yes, looking at the "sometimes" can be a good thing. Hard to balance the freedom with common sense sometimes!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Just bumping up my thread. I don't have much news "no-s" related as I've been busy learning about other aspects of my life. Not sure how involved I'll be in this community as I have a long history of "here-again, gone-again" but I guess I was just feeling the urge to reconnect. Hope you all are well and things are going as well as you want it to.

gingerpie

Re: Gingerpie's 21 day challenge

Post by gingerpie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:16 am

One year later and I'm bumping up again . . . My how time flies 😏

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi Ginger! Wonderful to see you on the boards!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 am

Ready for your annual update!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:58 pm

A year again!!

Things are going well No-S style right now. I had a rough patch over the winter and gained back more than I'd like to admit (okay you talked me into it, I gained back everything :roll: ) but I finally kicked my evening wine/snack habit and that success is really paying off in terms of sleep, mood, energy and general feelings of achievement. To give a bit of background for those who don't know me, I would have a couple glasses of wine in the evenings with my husband and every single time I had wine I also had to snack. . . a lot. So, if any of you think alcohol might be contributing to weight gain or plateaus, I strongly encourage a bit of experimentation with tea-totaling. It can not possibly hurt and might help quite a bit. I must say, I'm glad I made the switch before the Covid 19 quarantine. I'm not sure I would have handled the quarantine as well as I did if we had added alcohol and overeating into the mix. In addition to the night time calorie surplus, I believe my cravings for sugar/carbs were in part alcohol related and I have a much better handle on the no-sweets portion of No-S now that I no longer drink in the evenings. I'm too old and jaded to think that this happy la-la-land will last forever -I've been here before- but for now, I'm happy to sit back and enjoy it.

In other news, thanks to the stay at home order, the yard is looking fantastic; I've managed to complete several household projects that were hanging over my head; I'm running everyday (more or less) and the "kids" all have jobs and responsibilities to keep them busy and out of trouble. So far, we have been super lucky in terms of negative fall out from Covid 19. No jobs lost and no one sick. (College aged daughter had to switch plans but was able to find an alternative to her summer research that is just at advantageous as her original plan.) I am indeed appreciative of all the good luck we have had.

I still lurk about a bit on the boards and chime in once in a while but not nearly as much as I used to. I suppose in part because I don't need the support but I also don't want to make diet my life focus.

As always, I hope you all are well and recognizing success when you have it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 pm

I said somewhere here on this board or somewhere that from my observations (and I spend woefully too much time on all this, but it's better than eating) that people who had some kind of meal focus in place before COVID19 were at a distinct advantage. If a person was already susceptible to opportunistic eating, it has gotten magnified. My resolve has for the most part gone the other way, if not always in practice. But MOST of my failures have been rather casual rather than fraught.

Have a great year; I affirm you'll be able to report that you dropped your regain weight, though just getting the reins in hand without weight loss can still feel calming.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23