Check in This_is_it

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

This_is_it

Check in This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:21 pm

It is time for me to make a journal of my journey to normalize my eating habits. So far i'm doing fine. A few weeks after i started the nos diet my stomach started acting up. But i'm glad to say that seems to be resolved.

Those first weeks were hard. Also because of my upset stomach. But now; wow, it's going really well :D . I lost 3 kg (that is 6 lbs?). But also the peace it gives me to "only" have to take care of 3 good meals a day. No fussing with eating between meals and end up eating the wrong kinds of food. My most difficult time of the day was after dinner. Then the cravings started. I still have cravings sometimes but now i know that my body does not need anything because i ate a good meal. I think that is the difference for me; real food and also enough food during meals. In the past i made the mistake to not eat enough during meals. And then during the evening my body started to shout for food. Ending up with eating chocolats, chips, nuts, and all kinds of sweets etc.

I ended up weighing 88 kg (194 lb?). I'm quite tall for a female; 1.80 meter, 5ft 10, but that is just to much weight.

For now i'm doing well: i'm down to 85 kg, 187 lb, and hope to lose some more. I don't really have a goal weight. I'm trying to figure out how big or small my meals need to be for now. And i hope, in time, my weight will settle to what is right for me.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Welcome, This_is_it! I also experienced digestive distress during my first couple of weeks on NoS. I don't think my meals were any larger than before. The only thing really different has been that I'm eating fruit with my meals rather than snacking on it between meals. I'm happy to say the problems went away after a month or so. Now I only have difficulties sometimes on S days, which is why I look forward to Mondays.

Congrats on the weight loss and good luck with NoS!

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks E-lyn.

I enjoy the S-days but i'm also happy when monday arrives and the clarity of the N-days.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:40 am

Congratulations on your success so far! I'm glad the stomach issues have cleared up.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:47 am

Although I know that this diet is the best diet to maintain for a lifetime it sometimes feels overwhelming :? . Yesterday evening we were watching a movie at home with my family and out came the snacks, sweets and chips. I did not take any but i felt kind of jealous :oops: . And tomorrow my parents and mother in law are coming to visit. But tomorrow is friday and i want to stick with the n-day that friday is for me. I will be serving some pie with the coffee and tea and some snacks between the meals. I will not take food between my meals so i'm allready afraid of what everyone will say. I don't want to tell people about this diet because in the past my family always act like "the food-police" and i don't want that.
My husband is allready suspecting a new diet becaus he notices that i'm not snacking anymore. But he is confused because i do snack a little in the weekends. Last weekend there was the first comment; I thought you were on a diet. You can't have that. :twisted: . I don't want to discuss my eating habits with anyone. Only with the people on this wonderfull forum.
I know i failed in the past with trying to lose weight and that is why i get negative comments from my family. This time i know i'm going to succeed but it's going to take some time. This is something i want to do for myself. And don't want to defend myself for eating like a normal person. It really irritates me when people are monitoring what i eat.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:51 pm

If you have a hard copy of No S, let your husband see it and ask for his support. My copy was out in the open where anyone who came into the living room could see it. While I haven't tried to "sell" any family members on the plan, my wife has become more conscious of her snacking without me saying a word about it. My daughter asked me about why I ate some ice cream cake with them this past weekend. I gave her a quick 10 second synopsis of what the S-days mean. Sometimes we have to grow a thick skin about what other people say or think, me included.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:38 pm

Whosonfirst wrote:Sometimes we have to grow a thick skin about what other people say or think, me included.
Yes, you are so right, Whosonfirst! I have to learn to this.

I don't have a copy of the book but i think i will show my husband the website nosdiet.com. That will explain enough to him, i hope. And then time will do the rest.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:29 am

This_is_it wrote:And tomorrow my parents and mother in law are coming to visit. But tomorrow is friday and i want to stick with the n-day that friday is for me. I will be serving some pie with the coffee and tea and some snacks between the meals. I will not take food between my meals so i'm allready afraid of what everyone will say. I don't want to tell people about this diet because in the past my family always act like "the food-police" and i don't want that.
My husband is allready suspecting a new diet becaus he notices that i'm not snacking anymore. But he is confused because i do snack a little in the weekends.
I have to say that I giggled a bit about your husband's confusion! But I'm sorry people feel the need to try to monitor what you eat. I hope your husband will be supportive and maybe you won't have to discuss it with others for awhile. Does family visit often? If not, maybe you could take a nws day.
Respect Moderation

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:14 am

Friday went well :P . No negative comments. I worried about that for nothing.

:D Yes, Merry, my husband is still a bit confused. I understand that because i often said i would lose weight but in the end failed. That made me sad and he doesn't want that; me to be unhappy about my weight.

I'm enjoying the weekend. This time my s-days look like my n-days but in the evening i'm having a nice dessert.

I'm looking forward to the next week.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:07 pm

:lol: I think that, somewhere - probably in the book - Reinhard does recommend not telling anyone what you're doing. I keep quiet - but I live alone.

The only people who 'know' are those I see often enough for them to have noticed my eating habits - and I've given them the basic principles - No Snacks, Sweets etc except on S days.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:08 am

Monday and tuesday were tough. I was hungry between luch and diner and in the evening after dinner i had hunger pangs :? . But the days were still green :P . This is interesting; why did this happen? I didn't change my meals in the sense that i eat less.

I could resist the hunger pangs because i know i eat enough so the hungry feeling was making no sense. But my stomach growled 8) and gave a big fight. But i won :wink: .

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:23 am

Yesterday was a s-day. I did'nt really overeat but obviously i ate to much because today my stomach is feeling sore. I think my stomach is actually shrinking :) . Today is sunday but i think i'm going to consider it more as a n-day. I'm baking apple muffins at the moment at that is the only extra i'm going to eat besides my 3 meals.

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:20 am

I'm experiencing some troubles. I was expecting things to become easier now that i'm a few weeks in, but is isn't. This always happens when i'm on a diet; first few weeks are fine. No troubles with cravings. And then after a few weeks the cravings come back and hit hard 8) . Yesterday evening i wanted chocolat really bad. I did not take any and went to bed early. To tell you the truth; this scares me a little for the future. This is the time for me when i normally give up on a diet because it becomes too hard to do. And fall back in to evening snacking.

I don't want this to happen again because it is just silly. It is not even real hunger i'm feeling. It is just in my head :cry: .

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:24 am

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I often have a cup of hot chocolate in the evening, around 9pm (especially if I'm doing a late shift at work) - I make it with cocoa and creamer, and a sprinkle of nutmeg (so no sugar beyond what's in the creamer) - that really soothes me and settles me down. If you haven't done already, try a hot (milky if you like milk) drink for that evening thing.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:09 pm

That is a good suggestion, Rawcookie. Thanks!

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:26 am

This morning i was upset. I stood on the scale and actually gained 1 kg. :shock: :? :evil:

I thougth i did very well the last few weeks but i expected to have lost more weight by now.

I just read an article that Kaalii posted and realised something; i'm afraid of getting hungry. And i think i still eat to much during my meals so that is why i don't lose weight.

I'm going to adjust my portions and see what happens.

LadyEngineer

Post by LadyEngineer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Hello This_is_it,

Wow, I am being hit with cravings, too! I've been on No S for about 11~12 weeks now, and I am definitely in a "craving" phase! I even confessed earlier this week that I am calling it a Red week, by having one of my mother in law's chocolate chip cookies and a cup of coffee in the afternoon at work.

And you know what? That's been my only "failure" this week. I think I needed a little of a mental break from self pressure and such a strict regimen. All this week I've stuck with three healthy meals, no seconds and this one "RED" and I actually DIDN'T GAIN ANY OF THE WEIGHT I'VE LOST BACK! Now I haven't lost anything either, but that's OK.

So hang in there. It takes a little while to re-train ourselves. I don't know if I'll have a cookie this afternoon or not, but it's OK. This is a long term, moderation thing.

Have a great day!

LadyEngineer
"Leave space on your plate and you will lose weight" (Courtesy of my 16 year old son).

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:54 am

Hmmm, i'm not doing well with the nos-diet. During the day i'm doing fine but in the evening i'm snacking. Last night to the point i actually felt sick :oops: .

Where is this coming from; i did really well the first weeks and then i'm falling back to evening snacking. This is happening over the last few years, doing well during the day. Screwing things up during the evening. :roll:

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:18 am

Still struggling :evil: . My meals are great, i think :P :P . But in the evening something switches in my head and i go in snack modus.
But....today is another day and i will get back on track. Just one day at a time.

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi This_is_it, Don't give up! I am new here and also am having some ups and downs, so i totally relate. i wonder if you're really eating enough at your three meals if you find yourself so wanting snacks in the evening? I think it's important not to go into overly 'diet' mode with those meals and make sure they're substantial and really enjoyable.

And I also think that our confidence will build with a few successes, so just go for it today. Once you have a green - and maybe join the november challenge calendar? - you can start seeing them add up and that gives some incentive.

Today I really craved chocolate after lunch, or just anything sweet! I managed to have fruit and 'move on' and thought to myself a bit later that THOSE are the moments, if we stay strong, that will help us build the resolve and habit. Oolala53 encouraged me with a reminder recently that a bit of short term discomfort at not eating is so much better than feeling terrible about giving in and messing up a day. The sense of satisfaction on adding up the green days is huge, and meals become more enjoyable, and so do weekends.

Also, a few people suggested I write down WHY I'm doing this, and that was really helpful. For me it's less about the weight (although I have some I'd like to lose) and more about the sanity I gain around food when I'm not totally out of control and miserable with it.

Lastly (!) I think we will all have times of messing up, so don't throw in the towel. Just say to yourself that this is what you're now doing - it's not a diet, it is a lifestyle - and so there is no giving up. You'll get there, just keep going :)
I'm looking to lose about 12lbs...
31.09: 65.7kg/144.8lbs, BMI-25.7!
14.10: 64.9kg/143lbs, BMI - 25.4!

debventure

Post by debventure » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:12 pm

I agree with "don't throw in the towel." Whatever you're used to doing is hard to change and sometimes "feels" impossible. But, I do believe we are programmable (proved it to myself when I quit smoking a decade ago) and what feels impossible today seems easily automatic next year. It just takes a small trial of resistance and you won't even miss it. I did find that substituting something for the thing I craved really helped, so, for example, instead of snacking, I played a game of scrabble on my computer. Pretty soon, I craved the scrabble instead of the snack. Getting pretty good at it! :D
Started No S as written 11/1/2016

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:22 am

Thanks guys. I'm still struggling. Had only one green day last week.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:59 am

Hang in there! One green day is still better than none.

naeman

Post by naeman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:54 pm

I know the evenings have been hard for you. Has there been anything that you've succeeded with on most N days so far? Like even if it's a red day, were your breakfasts and lunches better? Or even if you binged, did you manage to stay away from sweets?

Stick with it! One green day is definitely better than a lot of people can do when they are just eating whatever they want to.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm taking the liberty of adding your check-in thread to the 2017 year challenge thread.

BTW, I have a couple of suggestions for the after-dinner eating, if it's still bothering you.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks Oolala53 for adding me in the check in thread. And i would love suggestions that would help me beating my after dinner snacking.

But this week went well; from monday to friday all green. Yes!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:05 pm

I think a basic thing to do, which can be hard to do well, but is totally worth the effort, is to get very clear that this systematic moderation is your best bet to get something[s] that you really want, something that goes beyond just losing weight and looking better and possibly even beyond health. Something that you're not getting by eating outside of the plan. Something that's worth the trade off of not getting to eat at times it would be very comfortable and pleasant to do so.

So, be working on that, on a list. Eventually, it should be in a form you can look at often. (I have about 40 items on my list in various categories.)

In the mean time, some ideas.

*Keep two habitcals, one for success with three meals, and a separate one just for getting through the evenings.

*Consider for a few weeks allowing a small snack of something you normally wouldn't go overboard on. Save those nonsweet overboard items to have in reasonable amounts at meals. Make it an option, but that you would be successful whether you eat it or not. You'll be able to tell as you go whether you can suddenly drop it or phase it out.

Eat a very satisfying, possibly big, dinner. Savor every bite! Notice when you're done how full you feel. Reflect on how well your body is fed and how beautifully it's made to use this food or draw on its reserves if this food is not quite enough. Feel happy that your body will do that, will use up some of its stores. You WANT it to have a chance to do that. It can feel a little uncomfortable as it gets used to switching over, which it likely hasn't had to do for awhile.

As the evening progresses, check in once in awhile and realize, my body has enough of what it really needs.

If you get inklings or even strong urges to eat, realize that is old habit, and has nothing to do with any real need. The old habit is a brain pattern and it can be very convincing. It thinks it's trying to save you, but YOU know you are safe. It may be uncomfortable but you will do no damage by waiting until morning to eat. (It's amazing how subconsciously we can feel that something terrible will happen if we don't stop those irritating sensations that seem to signal to get food. Nothing will happen except that we're uncomfortable.) In fact, realize you will do more good to resist. You will get more of what you want overall in life if you wait it out. (That's why it's good to have the list.)

Then do your best to do something diverting. It may be hard or easy to do something that requires a lot of concentration. If it's hard, be dumb! Watch TV, surf the net, flip through a magazine, whatever. Okay, no smoking or gambling. As time goes by, you can make it a point to be more productive or even look for more pleasurable but challenging things, but for now, make it easy. But know that it could be hard for a few nights, and intermittently as time goes on.

Also, know that overeaters at the moment of temptation often magnify how good the food will feel and taste and how wonderful it is and minimize how cruddy they will feel later and how sorry that they didn't keep to those bigger things (see list above) that they really want more. So practice that, admit that the food would taste good, but don't dwell on it, and tell yourself that it's not really that hard to put up with the discomfort to get what you really want later. You don't like it, but it's part of the job, and you sure like eating delicious meals, the part of the job you really like.

This is a lot more than No S recommends but obviously a lot of people need more than the basics. I think for someone like Reinhard, a lot of this was in place subconsciously. And I think the concept of moderation was so deeply inspiring that a lot of trouble got minimized under the surface. And food was less of a go-to habit, and surely sweets were not his thing. j

I tend to be kind of wordy.:shock:
It might be enough just to say to yourself at night, I've had enough for today, and I want to let my body get at my fat anyway. If I have to be a bit uncomfortable, so be it. I'm a big girl and can do it. Besides, I can eat a huge breakfast if I want to.

And go to bed early!
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:27 am

Wordy or not, this is great advice!

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:20 am

This_is_it wrote:Thanks Oolala53 for adding me in the check in thread. And i would love suggestions that would help me beating my after dinner snacking.

But this week went well; from monday to friday all green. Yes!!
WAHOOO! Great job!
Respect Moderation

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Thank you very much, Oolala53, for the great advice. It is very helpfull.

Monday i had a green day and today is going well. I'm having tuesday evening ahead of me. And i'm slightly hungry now. Although i had a nice diner. So i can immediatly take your advice to practice. Dealing with feeling sligthly uncomfortable but looking forward to my hot chocolat and delicious breakfast tomorrow morning. :lol:

Thank you, Merry, for the encouragement.

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:02 am

I am so happy, i'm doing really well, if i do say so myself :lol: . I am noticing that habit is beginning to settle in. This tuesday i was worried because of my husbands birthday. We went out to a buffet restaurant to have dinner. In the past this almost always resulted in me overeating. Not this time: i ate what i really love to eat but did not stuff myself with it. And wednesday i returned to a normal N day without problems. Woohoo!!

I am keeping the promise to myself to don't weigh myself. But by the feeling of my clothes i'm definitely losing weight. And although i am welcoming the weightloss i am more happy about the moderation habit kicking in.

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:01 am

Experienced some difficulties this week but the days were still green :) . I had hunger pangs between lunch and diner. That was kind of new to me :wink: . In the past my most difficult times were the evenings (perma snacking). But now i had quite strong hunger signals at about 15:30 hour. At least two and a half hours before my dinner. And that was tough. I had good advice from Merry and Oolala, so i am hanging in. But i'm sure looking forward to the s-days coming up. This time i think i'm must pay attention that i don't go overboard this weekend.

I am doing Nos for 6 weeks now. And in the past i always "gave up" after about 6 weeks in because around this time things get tougher for me. Nos is completly doable but sometimes it still overwelmes me that i've got to do this for the rest of my life. I think it has something to do with diethead; most diets end at some point. Nos does not end. It is a lifestyle. So this means that there is a lot of work to do for me. Specially on the mental aspect.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:04 am

staying green with those hunger pangs is such a sucess! congratulations!
they will subside, you can count on that!
you might even miss them at some point because they whisper you softly " it is NOW that you are losing... it is now that new you is being born". (to put it dramatically)... :)
This_is_it wrote: I think it has something to do with diethead; most diets end at some point.
true and not true, really... because you will have to maintain what you will have accomplished... some people who decide on calorie counting, for example, go straight down to the amount of calories needed for maintaining their goal weight (and not working down to it slowly with for example 500 calories deficit a day in several longer chunks of time as their weight is going down)... in the cases of wanting to lose a lot of weight that is pretty agressive and even life-threatening method... but in reality that is the amount of calories they will have to eat for the rest of their life once they achieve their goal...
it is clear, although never emphasised enough, imho, the other types of dieting also include not ever going back to the style and quantities of eating that caused the weight gain...

with noS the goal and the way are perfectly synchronised...
with the psychological benefits as a bonus...

so, congratulations, you are doing so well! :)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:40 pm

I had that sense of "Is this really all the sweets I will eat forever?" many times. I still overdo them sometimes but my intake is miniscule in comparison to preNo S days and I couldn't imagine eating them more often (I also use stevia on a daily basis for coffee, tea, sometimes a bit on fruit or yogurt.)

Anyway, just try to let the thoughts be there. So what if they occur to you? Just keep going on. See that there is so much of the time of the day in which everything is just fine. You are getting to eat to satisfaction of a great array of foods over the course of a week, month, etc.

And dive in to life in between the meals. : :o
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:33 am

I'm feeling better this week :lol: . I had my first comments of people who said: it seems that you have lost some weight.
They are right. I don't know how much weight i have lost because i don't stand on the scale but i now fit in a jeans that was way to tight in the beginning of this year so: Yeah!! 8) .

The hungerpangs are still there sometimes but i can handle them. Looking back i defenitly think it had something to do with hormones. But now i know it will pass so that gives me some peace of mind.

I am happy that i don't crave snacks anymore in the evening. Eventhough my daughters and husband are snacking. Luckily they don't comment on me not having any snacks. It seems that they don't even notice. I'm glad because in the past they often teased me that i could not sustain the not snacking habit.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Being able to accept some hunger, especially close to meals, is a great skill to aspire to. Congrats on being able to get through even when it comes earlier (mid-afternoon). If it doesn't go away on its own and you want to try to drop the mid-afternoon beverage, consider a bit more fat at lunch? I know protein is supposed to be the satiety macronutrient, but I'm pretty sure I've noticed more staying power with just a scant tablespoon of added fat or the equivalent in nuts, avocado, cheese, etc.

The day may come when you will wonder how evening snacking could ever have been so important to you.

Things are really moving along!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 am

Things are going well over here :lol: . The hungerpangs are getting less so that is a good thing. But i realise it may have to do with hormones. But now i can handle them.

I also stopped drinking soda's on s-days. This happend unconsciously. Not that i drank a lot of it but i don't really like it anymore. Don't know of this is gonna stick but for now it does.
The last few weeks i started baking nice treats on s-days. My family loves this and this way i can eat something i truly like. And it is something to look forward to during the week.

So far so good. Nos is working, woohoo!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 am

Wow, I still can't bake stuff. Too much of a history of eating most of the batter/dough. I've never once eaten any of that that it didn't taste absolutely fantastic and initiate a rush of intense desire. I'm so glad you're not susceptible to that.

Congrats on great progress.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:22 am

Eating the batter and dough. I thought that was just licking the spoon and scraping the bowl and beaters. I didn't realize it was the equivalent of a serving or two of cake until I heard a Weight Watcher lecturer.

This was about 40 years ago. She was laughing about making some of her favorite cakes for family and being diligent not to take licks and bites. Every time the pan overflowed into the oven until she figured out she had been eating a substantial amount of the batter!

And I did just this thing today. I was making my own birthday cake and there I was scraping the bowl and beaters just like the old days.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:25 am

OMGosh, there was an ad for a book called 101 Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies just below your post.

I ate a lot more than a serving or two at a time. If I had stopped at the beaters and bowl scraping, I would probably never have ended up here.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 am

I had a fail last week. It did not concerne the eating habits, that went well but i weighed myself :oops: . I just got curious...... The good news is that i lost weight (about 6 kg, 13 lbs?) I don't know exactly because i didn't weigh myself when i started at the beginning of the year. The bad news is that i know have this number in my head again :cry: . And i don't like that. I want this to be about habit and don't care where my weight will end up. But somewhere, in the back of my head, i do care about the weight....i can't deny that.

I think it also had to do with more people commented about my weightloss the past 2 weeks and i became curious. I think that the best thing to do is set a date and then allow myself to stand on the scale. I don't have the urge to weigh myself every week. So that is a good thing (for me).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Up to you. On Spark, there is team for maintenance where I tried to get a thread going devoted to maintenance of habits, not scale weight, but it fizzled pretty fast. It was unrealistic, I know, since the whole site is actually devoted to weight loss, though they try to sell themselves as targeting healthy eating. Then why have features to track weight and tons of articles about how to lose more weight?

I suspect that if I gave those women truth serum, they would admit that they have an awful lot of fear of gaining back weight not because it might be unhealthy but because they wouldn't look as good to themselves anymore.

I"m not sure it can ever be truly undone.

In any case, I salute the habits that brought you the loss!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:25 pm

although a magnificent goal - not to weigh oneself, i wouldnt beat myself up if i did, if i were you... especially if it is just occasionally...

the true sign of being ok, in my book, would anyway be to forget to weigh oneself and feel ok about the weight we feel we have...
whether we weigh ourselves or not - it is how much we think about our weight that truly matters...
when it becomes obsessive then gentle but firm limitations can help...

in the begining of noS i used to weigh once a week, on wednesdays or thursdays... like i did while on calorie counting...
now i still weigh occasionally but i forget often about it... never completely, though... ;)
i guess im still concerned about losing control...

yes, i think i might never get to the point of throwing away the scale (which i didnt even bother to own for the first 36 years of my life)... but having that mindset as a goal is to truly go beyond the diethead disorders... not sure to which point the damage can be undone...
in any case, beating ourselves about it is not helping... :)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 am

I have thought about the weighing some more and have come to the conclusion that i don't want to beat myself up about it, like Kaalii sugested.

I think it has to do with the weightloss process. I have just started Nos and i love the sanity of it; i just have to think about having 3 good meals a day and no fussing about snacks in between. This gives me so much freedom. I truly love this. But i welcome the weightloss that comes with it. Physically i feel better and also mentally.

During the last few weeks i have found a routine (habit) that fits me really well and i'm just curious where it will bring me; health related but also, when i'm absolutly honest, weight related. How long will it take me to stabilize.

I think i'm just impatient. So that is also something to work on, :lol: .

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 am

This week i suddenly noticed that i my hunger pangs have subsided. That is wonderfull! I feel hungry before lunch and diner but not excessively anymore.

I also cleaned out my cabinet this week. I have a few jeans that are too big. One of my daughters said: Mom, you really can't wear them anymore, pleas get rid of them :lol: .
The funny thing is that most of my family members don't comment on the weightloss (maybe they just don't notice, and that is ok) but many others do. People ask what diet i am following but when i try to explain they tend not to believe me. I don't know why they don't believe me. Maybe they think it sounds to good to be true. But NOS does work. :lol: :lol:

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:30 am

I had weird S-days. Normally i look forward to s-days but this weekend well...not so much. I still ate some muffins and cookies. Not because i wanted them but because it was an s-day. Afterwards i felt weird..... So i am considering to make s-days n-days when i feel like it.
The last few weeks i felt relieved when it was monday and i could eat normal again. I think n-days habits are really kicking in: i have eaten enough when i eat my 3 meals.

Guys, do you recognize this; that somewhere along the way you make s-days actual n-days?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:08 pm

S days aren't S days because you eat S's, but because you CAN eat S's. They are not an obligation.

People claim that you can get to the point at which "it's just a number, just information" but I think it's very rare to have anyone who can truthfully say they have NO negative reaction to a higher weight, that there is not the least sense of "uh oh." There's almost always some kind of justification or what I call "mental gymnastics." They have to convince themselves it's okay or temporary, it's the Chinese food or the salty potato chips or whatever, that it doesn't mean they are bad at least, most women do. And that they are somehow better when the weight is lower. It's so ingrained it probably sounds like, what's wrong with that? But I can't get over thinking in terms of real self respect, it's a red herring.

In reference to wanting to skip the scale, I've been looking at some of the writing on chronic calorie restriction (CCR) for longevity-actually for continued mental capacity and avoiding age-related disease, since the lifespan isn't necessarily extended but good health is- and one thing I've noticed is that though people lose weight and become pretty thin, there's very little talk of TARGETING a lower weight. The researches say "reduce energy intake," not "lose weight." Nor do they talk about having weight loss goals. They look at function. It's the lessened processing of food that is considered to be the advantage. And nobody seems to make any correlation between it and self-worth.

I say being able to see that there's less pleasure and satisfaction from S's and then to actually follow up and eat less of them is worth much more than a change in the scale. It's something you can take ANYWHERE. Besides, even if it didn't lead to weight loss, it would be nuts to eat something that wasn't satisfying just because your weight stayed the same. It's not pleasurable either way.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:52 am

This_is_it wrote:This week i suddenly noticed that i my hunger pangs have subsided. That is wonderfull! I feel hungry before lunch and diner but not excessively anymore.

I also cleaned out my cabinet this week. I have a few jeans that are too big. One of my daughters said: Mom, you really can't wear them anymore, pleas get rid of them :lol: .
The funny thing is that most of my family members don't comment on the weightloss (maybe they just don't notice, and that is ok) but many others do. People ask what diet i am following but when i try to explain they tend not to believe me. I don't know why they don't believe me. Maybe they think it sounds to good to be true. But NOS does work. :lol: :lol:
That's a great revelation. Continued NoS-success
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Tue May 30, 2017 7:59 am

I'm back. I fell off the wagon the last few weeks. I don't know what went wrong. I was in a good flow but lost it when i went on vacation :? . During the day i'm doing fine but then the evening comes and the snacking starts. What is up with that bad habit. I did so well for months....And i feel really crappy the next morning. Literally: in the morning i feel full, have a headache, just blah.... It feel it is my body saying no to all of this bad eating in the evening. I think the whole month of may i have had red days. So it is time to take things serious again. Getting started today :) . I just have to have a few green days again so i regain trust in myself. Hopefully the flow will come back :wink: .

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:46 pm

You are the third person, I think, who had a vacation leave them wobbling. That happened to me after 12 perfect weeks my first year- and this year, too! Do your best. These derailments happen. I know it can be annoying and troubling after a period of ease, but once they happen, we can't take them back, so we might as well try to move forward. Relapses are not a sign that it can't work.

I wish I could tell you the formula for recapturing the habit. It just seems to evolve. Just get through whatever meal gaps you can. I was using the promise of a BIG breakfast plate/bowl, if I wanted it, when I was feeling drawn to eating in the evenings. Never wanted that big breakfast in the morning. I failed this afternoon. I have to start remembering to use the same tactic. Promise myself a BIG dinner. It's possible I'll want tht dinner, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:45 am

oolala53 wrote:Relapses are not a sign that it can't work.
Yes, this is very important.

I'm also making my meals big :lol: . Specially lunch. It helped because tuesday and wednesday were green.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:47 pm

How is it going? Is it too late to have a green Friday?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 am

Well.....still having some difficulties. Some days were green but some were absolutly dark red :wink: . This weekend was also a bit insane. But today is monday. Starting a new week. And i will do better.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:44 am

If I may, keep in mind what besides weight loss you feel the advantages are to eating less overall, and to using No S as opposed to the two major other tactics per Reinhard: being a calorie accountant or eliminating foods (which have a very poor track record in general, especially compared to meal-based eating).

If nothing else, I hope you have a green Friday tomorrow! You will be so much happier with your week if you do.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:07 am

I finally got a green week under my belt :lol: . I'm so glad. Hopefully i'm back on track. But now it is weekend. 8)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Fantastic! I hope the moderation spills rather easily into your weekend. Hope you have some fun non-food plans!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 am

It's been a couple of months. I'd like to think it's because the habit finally fell into place. Would love to hear from you either way. Let's get team 2017 back together!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 am

I'm still struggling with evening snacking (again). Doing well during the day but around 20:00 pm i'm starting to get cravings. And i'm not doing a good job fighting those cravings at the moment :oops: . Sometimes i have green days but most of the time i fail.

Yesterday (monday) i failed again. But today i will try and do better.

Thank you, oolala53 for checking. I'm still here but the story above is disappointing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am

Just do your best. I'm sure you're way better off than before you started, even with some failures.

One thing that has worked for me when I've gone through times of wanting to eat at night is to promise myself that I can pull out all the stops at breakfast the next day if I just wait. I never wanted any more food when I woke up than I normally do, but it kept me fooling me.

It also helped that I came to value a longer overnight fast for the health benefits, though that has been traded for a stressful couple of weeks with the health benefits of a glass of red wine closer to bed time. I'm not usually a drinker but have tried it out for relaxing. I doubt I'll keep it up after today when the worst of my work load is peaking.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Don't give up that's for sure ;) I've been struggling with evening eating for a long time. I still end up with a lot of "red" but overall I've seen a lot of improvement. The problem I have with the "succeed vs. fail" system is that there is no way to record actual improvement so a "fail" of a handful of nuts and a slice of apple shows up the same shade of red as a a bottle of wine and bag of chips. Those two fails are not equal in my mind. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, sometimes it's important to see shades of improvement and just keep working at it.

I see that you are having some success during the day. Hold on to that for now while you continue to find your way in the evenings. On nights that I'm successful, it takes a lot of self talk. What I have discovered is that if I can postpone the urge, I eventually realize I don't really want it. I just crave it.

Good luck and enjoy your evening no matter what.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Ginger, something that some people do is have a separate habitcal for small fails, so that they actually get a green on days that they fail on Vanilla but don't turn it into WTH. The rest of the days are blank, I think.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 am

Thank you for the advice and wise words. They help me a lot.

Last week i had two red days; monday and wednesday. The rest of the week went well.

Yesterday was green. I'm feeling better and more motivated now. Building on habit again.

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Still fighting with the cravings during the night (after diner). I also have them in the afternoon sometimes but then i can ease my mind by looking forward to diner. That is what is going wrong in my mind; in the evening i think about how long it will be until breakfast and that it may be difficult to fall asleep with my grumbling stomach. And i know it is a bad excuse, but i still do it :oops:

Had two red days last week (tuesday and friday). This weekend was a bit crazy again.

I'm not giving up, today is monday and i'm confident i will succeed.

piyare08

Post by piyare08 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:05 pm

You can do it! Have you tried making a hot cocoa? Not with cocoa powder but with cacao powder? Full of benefits, no caffeine or sugar. I usually do a tbsp of raw cacao in a saucepan with 1/2 water 1/2 almond milk.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:11 am

Just keep chipping away. Drink something at night and try not to fear or cave. You'll be sleeping most of the time to breakfast. Promise yourself a doozy of a breakfast, but make it optional when you wake up with little appetite.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 am

Yesterday (monday) was finally a green day again. I'm happy with that because the last two weeks were almost entirely red. And the weekends crazy.

I'm paying better attention to my meals. They might be a bit heavy but i want to build on habit first. At the beginning of the year when i had succes weeks on end this also worked.

This also includes the advice of drinking nice drinks in the evening. Herbal tea, warm milk or hot chocolate. It is a good way for me to close the day.

Thanks for all the wise words, they help me out a lot :) .

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 am

Last week i had two red days (thursday and friday), so there is some improvement :lol: . My motivation is coming back so that is positve. Let's go!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:14 pm

so there is some improvement Laughing
Bit by bit - you'll get there.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Fewer red days is definitely an improvement! Be glad you don't have a big American Thanksgiving feast to look forward to. I haven't been compliant so it's a little hard to feel completely relaxed about it. I'll try to bring you to mind today and Friday (Thursday is the big day) so we can have solidarity.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:52 am

Stay with us through the holidays! That's when the most gain usually happens.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 am

oolala53 wrote:Stay with us through the holidays! That's when the most gain usually happens.
Yes, i'll stay. NOS is the best. I need that sanity. Looking forward to 2018. :lol:

I'm still having red days. Some bad some not so bad. But i'm also having green days. The good news is that i know that NOS is the way to go. So i will keep on doing it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:11 pm

A fair number of people have red days even years later. (TRUTH!) Sure, it keeps the ambivalence going, but it makes it doable for them, and the odds are nothing else would yield better results. And nothing says you won't get it down just because others don't. You're still in the game! Has that ever happened before?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

I'm so glad 2018 is here. I need to start over.

Hopefully i can comply better this year. It is a mental thing for sure. But i'm all in again :mrgreen:.

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am

Also i want to thank everyone for all the great advise and support. I'm gonna need it again :wink: .

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Glad to hear you're hanging in there. It suits your username! Looking forward to providing kudos or a shoulder to cry on, as needed.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:22 am

Good for you, glad to see you :-)
Respect Moderation

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:19 pm

My first week in the year 2018, Nos went great. And now i'm also having a calm weekend.

Looking forward to next week :) .

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Sweeet!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:16 am

:cry: I'm back to square one with the evening snacking and cravings. Having nothing but red days the last few weeks.

One thing that is positive is that during the day i'm doing fine. And another positve thing is (so there are two positive things :lol:) is that i no longer drink coffee. I noticed that it gave me heartburn and some other issues. I drank coffee for more than 30 years so it was hard. Had a headache for two weeks. But now it got better.

But boy, am i struggling in the evenings.....

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 am

Those are great things to have made progress on. I agree that that second time of getting over the hump of the snack urge is irritating. Try to remember back how good if felt to realize that you were making it very nicely keeping a nice overnight fast between meals. You are bigger than cravings. Eyes on the prize!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:39 pm

I did much better this week. Only wednesday was a snack disaster in the evening :oops: . I can't figure out what was the trigger for that.

Oolala53, your advice about thinking about the benefits of having an overnight fast helped me a lot. Thank you!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:33 am

There can be dozens of triggers. It can be somewhat convenient to figure out some of them, but they've often been like Hydras for me. The remedy for me is pretty much always the same: ignore/resist the impulse and wait for breakfast! It sounds like you are pulling that off most of the time.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23