Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No S vs. Weight Watchers

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ZippaDee



Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 698
Location: No Quit Zone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: No S vs. Weight Watchers Reply with quote

Arrrrgh!!! Remind me once again why YOU have personally chosen this route vs weight watchers (or some other way of eating). That is all for now. That is the question. Lol. I need to hear this from folks that have been there once AGAIN!! Perhaps the umpteenth time will be the charm. Wink
_________________
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.’’ ~Winnie the Pooh ~

Just RELAX and DO IT!

Go out and be AMAZING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bluebell



Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 501
Location: Hampshire UK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No S vs. Weight Watchers Reply with quote

ZippaDee wrote:
Arrrrgh!!! Remind me once again why YOU have personally chosen this route vs weight watchers (or some other way of eating). That is all for now. That is the question. Lol. I need to hear this from folks that have been there once AGAIN!! Perhaps the umpteenth time will be the charm. Wink

OK I have tried most diets out there. Have now done 2 months of NoS. Here's my list:
No counting anything. Apart from plates and that's easy Very Happy
No major food groups I have to cut out
No obsessing about what I can and cannot eat.
No studying food packets for hours on end.
No eating different foods from my family
No tortuous conversation in my head about whether I should or should not allow myself a certain treat.
No feeling depressed because I have broken a rule.
No humiliating standing on scales and feeling down because I have gained half a pound.
No targets.
No financial outlay.
No giving up and returning to my bad habits and putting all of the weight back on and more.
No wondering which diet I should try next.

Phew!

I could sum all of that up in one sentence:
No S is finally, for the first time in my life, helping me to develop a normal relationship with food.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bullisaba



Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to do No S long term. Can you really see yourself being happy doing weight watchers for the rest of your life?

If you want to drop weight quicker on No S and give yourself a little boost then try filling more of your plate with veggies. Don't switch to a diet for quick results, stick with No S for the long haul. You will end up thinner in the long run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZippaDee



Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 698
Location: No Quit Zone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your comments!! You both are SO right on all aspects! I have a long history with weight watchers. It works SHORT term, but NOT long term. This round I have been a ww member since Jan. I lost about 30 pounds and have gained back close to 20.....clearly...it is not working. I need to just commit to No S 100%.
At this point my main frustration is my hyper focus on food. It is all consuming. I need my life back!
_________________
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.’’ ~Winnie the Pooh ~

Just RELAX and DO IT!

Go out and be AMAZING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 8154
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the research shows that in over 150 years of "diets," the success rate has never changed. The same 3-10% is successful even though thousands of diet books have been published.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/why-diets-dont-work-long-term-cause-weight-gain_n_1452875.html

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Dieting-Does-Not-Work-UCLA-Researchers-7832

Roy Baumeister, esteemed researcher on willpower, has said if you want to lose weight, 1) don't go on a "diet," and 2) don't swear off any food. Don't assume you don't have willpower if you slip. Do learn to combat WTH. Do use situational rules, similar to No S. He recommends recording food intake but not calorie counting nor calorie limits. But I think the three plates helps counter the need for recording, though it's your call.

WW has mostly dropouts, but it is true that of those who stick it out to goal, they do actually have a lower failure-to-keep-it-off rate. 84% rather than 90-97%. Still a terrible bet.

Those who aim to eat better quality food over time often improve their health markers even without losing weight.

“Most slim people don’t employ restrictive diets or intense health regimes to stay at a healthy weight,” Dr. Brian Wansink, the study’s co-author, said in a statement. “Instead, they practice easy habits like not skipping breakfast, and listening to inner cues.” I think the one-plate meal structure can help overeaters mimic this over time. Continuing with Wansink:The participants’ responses highlighted one major takeaway for healthy living: Routine is key. For many, routines are a necessity to success. When healthy habits are built-in to a person’s schedule, they become second nature, and feel less-chore like.

Diets have never been shown to have the majority of people actually prefer eating less over time.

Valter Longo, researcher on longevity who does advocate periodic modified fasting, thinks consistent caloric restriction is kind of slow torture. He eats two meals a day. He probably does eat fewer calories than the average bear, but not because he limits them. I'd bet he has some S days at times. But the point is gaps between meals is a good thing.

You may join WW or the ilk if you faithfully implement the program for a year and gain weight. Your odds of success on something else then will be increased because you will feel you have exhausted your best option AND you will have learned discipline.

But you probably won't want to give No S up and will likely make satisfying adjustments as the years go by.

Enough? Bookmark this page, read it often at first and any time you get the diet bug.

UNLESS you develop a serious health condition, THE reason diets are appropriate, IMHO. Users often lose weight, but it's a side effect. Those who don't have the condition rarely have the same motivation, so things eventually go cattywompers.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 64 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Sept/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merry



Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 1523

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZippaDee wrote:
Thanks so much for your comments!! You both are SO right on all aspects! I have a long history with weight watchers. It works SHORT term, but NOT long term. This round I have been a ww member since Jan. I lost about 30 pounds and have gained back close to 20.....clearly...it is not working. I need to just commit to No S 100%.
At this point my main frustration is my hyper focus on food. It is all consuming. I need my life back!


Every other diet I've ever done had this yo-yo effect (in fact, I always gained back more than what I lost). I knew I didn't need another diet. I needed a new way of eating that I was willing to follow for the rest of my life. That's what I love about No-S. Maintenance IS the plan. It's so doable. I really do think I can continue to use this long-term.
_________________
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.

28.5 lbs. down, 34.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"...slim cultures...value not overeating. They don't eat more of a food just because it's good. They enjoy the food more."--Oolala
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bluebell



Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 501
Location: Hampshire UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Every other diet I've ever done had this yo-yo effect (in fact, I always gained back more than what I lost). I knew I didn't need another diet. I needed a new way of eating that I was willing to follow for the rest of my life. That's what I love about No-S. Maintenance IS the plan. It's so doable. I really do think I can continue to use this long-term."

Wise words indeed Merry, and I echo your thoughts completely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 8154
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony is that the meals I eat now are very similar to what I used on WW, but I think S days without imposed calorie limits, including many wild ones, are what makes them even more desirable. (And S days are quite similar at times.)

And I've counted calories only periodically only out of curiosity.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 64 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Sept/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CamperRose



Joined: 29 Nov 2016
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post my own "wisdom" on this topic, but, WOW, the replies already are terrific and I have nothing else to add.

I do want to mention that for me, after a year, I can see the changes that occurred sort of naturally without me really doing much. That is a benefit of No S to me and a long term approach; you don't have to force yourself to learn, implement and keep a lot of new changes, things just gradually improve as you stay with it.

I intend to bookmark this page to come back to if I get discouraged in the future. Great replies by everyone above.

Rose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brocky



Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: only a week in Reply with quote

I don't really have the right to comment as only one week in but one thing I am enjoying is looking at recipes and being able to choose and cook anything I want to without looking up low fat or low calorie at the beginning of the search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZippaDee



Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 698
Location: No Quit Zone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful responses! An extra thank you to Oolala for your detailed and informational post! Appreciate it so very much! I will save this post for sure and read as needed. I have already read through it several times. I KNOW all of these things to be true and I have preached it to myself in the past, but the quicker results of a restrictive diet seems to draw me back every time. I know absolutely that I can NOT count and weigh and measure for the rest of my life. I always try to compensate for that by saying to myself that I will do this to take the weight off and then move onto something else for maintenance. I know that this is not logical thinking either! I am weary about thinking about food ALL of the time! arrrrgh! And, then when I start to slip I get stuck thinking about what I should do. I took my first steps of leaving weight watchers behind by getting off of all the weight watcher groups on fb that clog up my newsfeed and my brain. Now to delete my ww account. ONWARD Arrow Arrow
_________________
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.’’ ~Winnie the Pooh ~

Just RELAX and DO IT!

Go out and be AMAZING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k1dub



Joined: 15 Jul 2016
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because No S hasn't changed. I just started No S in the summer but it's been around quite a few years. In that time, WW has majorly overhauled their programs citing new "research and scientific findings". Yet, their failure rate remains the same. The number of people who are on and and stay on maintains the same.

I'd rather stick with the program that's not flashy but gets you results rather than the program that has to change itself so drastically so often to keep you interested.
_________________
"All people use food for more reasons than mere nutrition." ~ Maya Angelou

Committed 7.12.16 | Vanilla No S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mustloseweight



Joined: 26 Feb 2014
Posts: 136
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weightwatchers is a crutch that props up what becomes emotional dependence on their current system, meetings and products. When having a bad week you soon spiral out of control. I like how No S teaches you to stand firm on your own two feet with a plan that can be followed for life without special systems, meetings or products. The biggest reason for me preferring this to WW is the fact that when following WW I obsess about foods that are high sugar and high fat and I am hungry all the time.
_________________
Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
Current weight: 19st 3.8lbs
Target Weight: 11st 0lbs

Need a serious kick up the bum!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Izzy



Joined: 02 Dec 2016
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No S vs. Weight Watchers Reply with quote

Bluebell wrote:
ZippaDee wrote:
Arrrrgh!!! Remind me once again why YOU have personally chosen this route vs weight watchers (or some other way of eating). That is all for now. That is the question. Lol. I need to hear this from folks that have been there once AGAIN!! Perhaps the umpteenth time will be the charm. Wink

OK I have tried most diets out there. Have now done 2 months of NoS. Here's my list:
No counting anything. Apart from plates and that's easy Very Happy
No major food groups I have to cut out
No obsessing about what I can and cannot eat.
No studying food packets for hours on end.
No eating different foods from my family
No tortuous conversation in my head about whether I should or should not allow myself a certain treat.
No feeling depressed because I have broken a rule.
No humiliating standing on scales and feeling down because I have gained half a pound.
No targets.
No financial outlay.
No giving up and returning to my bad habits and putting all of the weight back on and more.
No wondering which diet I should try next.

Phew!

I could sum all of that up in one sentence:
No S is finally, for the first time in my life, helping me to develop a normal relationship with food.


Well said Bluebell! I second ALL of the above.

In addition for me personally, COOKING is my most valued creative outlet and No s allows me to do that freely, and most importantly without any stress of restrictions on food groups or counting calories.

This is one of the most encouraging places without any judgment you will find for support!
_________________
Izzy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
babybird



Joined: 05 Dec 2016
Posts: 67
Location: U.K

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did WW for a short period of time. I bought the scales/ book/ app / ww yoghurt/ wraps. I spent a lot of time understanding the Plan and buying specific food. It was mentally very time consuming. I lost weight very quickly. 4 pounds in a week but it all came back on once I had stopped.
_________________
S days = SOMETIMES having Snacks/ Seconds/ Sweets.

I can do this, Believe in yourself!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Merry



Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 1523

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babybird wrote:
I did WW for a short period of time. I bought the scales/ book/ app / ww yoghurt/ wraps. I spent a lot of time understanding the Plan and buying specific food. It was mentally very time consuming. I lost weight very quickly. 4 pounds in a week but it all came back on once I had stopped.


Yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to in your other thread. Losing weight and maintaining a different weight are two very different things--and if a person is going to "stop" a diet, one might as well not even start it. Wish I had understood that years ago!
_________________
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.

28.5 lbs. down, 34.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"...slim cultures...value not overeating. They don't eat more of a food just because it's good. They enjoy the food more."--Oolala
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZippaDee



Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 698
Location: No Quit Zone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here I am close to a year after I originally posted this question in pretty much the same place that I was and pretty much feeling the same way I was feeling a year ago. I started out the year committed to NoS for a year. Quickly fell off of that and back to WW I went. I am still a member of WW. My meeting attendance has been spotty and my weight is in pretty much the same place it was when I originally wrote this post last year. Sigh.... I want to stop this insanity ,but I DO want to lose weight!!! I guess I question if I really will lose weight with No S because I see so many posts here about folks maintaining, but not losing. While the ww boards are filled with weight loss stories. I am continually stuck in the "thinking about what I should do" and not actually in the "doing something about it" phase.

I offer up my ramble....AGAIN......arrrrrgh!
_________________
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.’’ ~Winnie the Pooh ~

Just RELAX and DO IT!

Go out and be AMAZING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vmsurbat



Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 490
Location: Montenegro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I question if I really will lose weight with No S because I see so many posts here about folks maintaining, but not losing.


Along with re-committing to NoS (the best antidote to "diet insanity"), may I suggest that you visit the Testimony board? NoS has worked wonderfully for *many* people, each with their own story.

Some had just a few pounds and lost it quickly. Some had lots, and lost quickly. Some had a lot of weight to lose, and lost it slowly--sometimes not at all for months--but the sanity of NoS kept them plugging along ("maintaining") and then....boom...the weight began to come off. And over and over again, you'll hear the familiar refrain of "What I appreciate MOST about NoS is a normal relationship with food."

If I read correctly, you stated you didn't really lose much with WW, anyway. Why not go whole-heartedly in with NoS? At least the NoS journey is sane, sensible, and satisfying! You can start with your next meal. Lots of encouragement (all free!) here on the boards.

Here's to your NoS success!
_________________
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ironchef



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 1589
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ll see maintaining posts from me, but that’s because I’ve been here over 5 years, so my losses were years ago (after my first bub and then after my second).

In the past I always lost, but then always yo-yo’d, so maintenance of a lower weight long term has been unique to No S. I get that it’s less exciting than the initial losing, and that’s part of the struggle. I’ve got no exciting news to post, no one around me compliments me on losing weight. It’s just me, my habits and the board (for which I’m always grateful).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Larkspur



Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Posts: 274
Location: Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 meal structure of NoS is not that difficult once you get your pancreas trained, so why not NoS while you're making up your mind? Weight aside, you will be doing your body a kindness and building a structure that will make other eating plans easier, if that's what you decide.

I've lost only a few pounds in my six months of NoS. But my bloodwork has dropped out of the prediabetic range. I'm way more comfortable. Meals are a pleasure. I don't have candy wrappers in my car and most of the time it's not difficult to tune out treats. I'm also not that worried about my weight per se as long as I feel good and my health markers are improving. I'm 51 and hypothyroid, and also rather lazy about weight loss if my health markers are improving and I'm feeling good.

I get where you're coming from, I really do, but I think the bottom line is that weight loss in whatever program is going to be because of what you bring to it. You can lose weight on practically any diet- there are a million out there. How do you want to live going forward? What makes the most sense to you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 8154
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that if no one can guarantee that you'll lose weight on No S that you'll be okay with eating the way you've been eating and living with the body you have?

I ask this with all the warmth I can: if you REALLY want to lose weight, why do you think you haven't? What gets in the way? What food and overeating situation is it actually more important to you to get to have than losing weight is? You likely have to face this honestly before anything will change.

How uncomfortable are you willing to be? Because if you think you're going to find a completely painless way to do it, your odds of being disappointed are pretty high. The majority of people even here who have lost have not had it just be easy breezy. But as someone quoted me, even No S isn't necessarily easy; it's just an easiER way to manage the culture of food excess than almost everything else. It's been doable. Only you can determine if it's doable for you.

What difference does it make if you don't lose weight on No S if you end up not being willing to do what it takes to lose weight any other way? Have you really exhausted them all? Maybe you'll luck out and stumble on one that makes it all downhill. In ten years on Spark, I've seen people i have that happen- at about the same rate as the stats show. The vast majority go year after year looking for the program that they'll sail into the sunset with. The honest truth is most of them will literally go to their graves without finding it. Not necessarily because they didn't find it, but without finding it all the same.

Which one are you going to be?

I wish I could promise you that it will be easy and you'll lose weight. That is what so many diet books promise. And we all know how successful their readers are.

I hope you get convinced to either surrender and DO this, making adaptations as you need for what you want, or stop torturing yourself and accept the eating life and body you have. Because one or the other is the kindest thing you can do for yourself. Anything else is just unproductive suffering. And that you don't deserve. But you're the only one who can free yourself.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 64 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Sept/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZippaDee



Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 698
Location: No Quit Zone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Vicki! I have been on these boards a long time and you have always inspired me! I DO need to go back and read the testimony page again and I need to read the book again!!
Vicki said:
Quote:
If I read correctly, you stated you didn't really lose much with WW, anyway. Why not go whole-heartedly in with NoS? At least the NoS journey is sane, sensible, and satisfying! You can start with your next meal. Lots of encouragement (all free!) here on the boards.


I KNOW this to be the truth!! I have actually lost weight with both programs in the past. I have a long history with this! But, I have also gained it back with both! I know in order to be successful long term I need to CHANGE MY HABITS!! And, I know that No S makes more sense long term!! Thanks for your encouragement!

Ironchef...Thanks so much for your encouragement!! Maintaining IS success!!!!....MUCH more successful than the losing part! It's the part I have trouble with! Your success is an encouragement to me! THANK YOU!!

Larkspur said....
Quote:
I get where you're coming from, I really do, but I think the bottom line is that weight loss in whatever program is going to be because of what you bring to it. You can lose weight on practically any diet- there are a million out there. How do you want to live going forward? What makes the most sense to you?


That is the key isn't it? How do I want to live my life going forward?!! NOT counting, weighing and measuring EVERY last morsel that crosses my lips. I know that! Congrats on your success Larkspur! Health markers and how you feel are so much more important than the number on the scale! And, I am 52...so we have that in common! Thanks for taking the time to respond to this post!

I have to scoot to work now! Only a half day, so I will respond to Oolala's post when I get home. Oolala....let me just say quick though that I appreciate you so very much!! I needed to hear what you said!!! More later!
_________________
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.’’ ~Winnie the Pooh ~

Just RELAX and DO IT!

Go out and be AMAZING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 8154
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're convinced, and this is overkill, but just for fun, look at this.
https://fatfu.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/weight-watchers/
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 64 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Sept/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZippaDee



Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 698
Location: No Quit Zone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oolala said:
Quote:
Are you saying that if no one can guarantee that you'll lose weight on No S that you'll be okay with eating the way you've been eating and living with the body you have?


Ummmmm........ummmmm.....let me see....NO!!! Rolling Eyes

Oolala said:
Quote:
I ask this with all the warmth I can: if you REALLY want to lose weight, why do you think you haven't? What gets in the way? What food and overeating situation is it actually more important to you to get to have than losing weight is? You likely have to face this honestly before anything will change.


Ummmmmm..... more REALLY good, hard to answer and face questions! Shocked The answers to these questions are not pretty! And, I don't want these answers to be true or to be who I am. I don't want my poor eating habits and choices to be more important to me than my well being and health. But, the reality is that since I keep making these poor choices over and over again ....the junk I put into my body must be more important to me than improved well being or health. That is SAD to me because I am generally a pretty sensible person and this lacks good sense and self care! Crying or Very sad

Oolala said:
Quote:
How uncomfortable are you willing to be? Because if you think you're going to find a completely painless way to do it, your odds of being disappointed are pretty high. The majority of people even here who have lost have not had it just be easy breezy. But as someone quoted me, even No S isn't necessarily easy; it's just an easiER way to manage the culture of food excess than almost everything else. It's been doable. Only you can determine if it's doable for you.


I do understand this! The only two ways I have ever used to attempt weight loss is No S and WW. I have lost weight multiple times. I have lost 25 pounds in the past using NoS and have lost 15 bls, 60 lbs., 30 lbs at different points with WW. I know it's not painless!! And, I know that NoS is simple, but it is not easy.....just easiER as you say!!

Oolala said:
Quote:
The vast majority go year after year looking for the program that they'll sail into the sunset with. The honest truth is most of them will literally go to their graves without finding it. Not necessarily because they didn't find it, but without finding it all the same.


Sad Sad So sad and I get it! I want the insanity to stop!

Oolala said:
Quote:
I hope you get convinced to either surrender and DO this, making adaptations as you need for what you want, or stop torturing yourself and accept the eating life and body you have. Because one or the other is the kindest thing you can do for yourself. Anything else is just unproductive suffering. And that you don't deserve. But you're the only one who can free yourself.


YES!!! I want to be FREE!!! I REALLY REALLY need to just DO THIS and be patient and let my weight fall where it may!!

Thanks so much for this thought provoking post Oolala!!! It has been so extremely helpful!!

And that last link...gah!!! So very sad that so many, like me, are sucked in over and over and over again!
_________________
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.’’ ~Winnie the Pooh ~

Just RELAX and DO IT!

Go out and be AMAZING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merry



Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 1523

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain and dilemma!

When I came back to No-S (after a previous failed attempt years prior), I had decided a few things:

1, I didn't need a diet. I needed a lifestyle change. I thought long and hard about what I was willing to change. I knew I could lose weight calorie counting or cutting out certain foods etc... (ways I had lost in the past--and then gained it all back and more). So I knew that instead of a diet, I needed to decide what I was willing to do for the rest of my life.

When I finally came to that realization, then No-S came to mind right away. It's so much more doable than other plans.

2, I shouldn't expect to lose fast. I'm not willing to be *that* strict. I want to enjoy my S days. I'm willing to be pretty strict with N days if I can enjoy some S days. Some are wild. Some are too wild. They've tamed down over time, but they still are probably more wild than they should be at times. But they are still my release valve that make me willing to follow N days. They keep me on plan, so I don't worry about them. But...that can mean my losses are slower than I might like. This year has been very slow--lots of maintaining and few months with losing just a pound. I hoped to be farther along at this point (I lost 22 the first year, and was hoping to lose at least 18 this year to get to a total of 40 lost...but I'm only at 28 total so far.) Still...I know where I would be without No-S. Eating whatever whenever. maybe more yo-yo dieting. Gaining 5 or so lbs. each year as I had the last many years. Instead of down 28, I'd be up 10, or a total of 38 more than I weigh now, if I had followed my previous trajectory the last 2 years.

Slow losses that are maintainable seem so much healthier to me than continuing to yo-yo.

Slow losses are only occasionally uncomfortable. I'm not hungry. I really don't miss out (goodness, I have plenty of treats in my life, even with turning down the occasional beloved brownie at a party!) I can do this. It's not *that* hard. (I never stuck with calorie counting for more than 4 months, Vegan and other types of diets for 6 months...even a diet I tried for health reasons only lasted a year, and I spent years in rebellion after that!)

I rarely feel my emotions "bucking" against the constraints of No-S--it's just not that much resistance that I feel like rebelling.

With that in mind, think about how quickly you lost weight on No-S previously, and if by chance you tried to be too harsh or too drastic and it made you not want to keep up with it. Do No-S in a way that makes you want to keep up with it long-term--but also wrap your mind around what that might mean loss-wise and see if you're okay with that.

Anyway...best wishes to you!
_________________
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.

28.5 lbs. down, 34.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"...slim cultures...value not overeating. They don't eat more of a food just because it's good. They enjoy the food more."--Oolala
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZippaDee



Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 698
Location: No Quit Zone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merrry, Thanks so very much for taking the time to reply to my post! I always enjoy reading all of your comments on this board. You are so very sensible in your thinking! YES...I too desire a lifestyle change and NOT a diet. As you know, ww tries to claim that phrase, "lifestyle change" I have questioned this in meetings and on their boards. What does that look like exactly in the realm of ww because it sure doesn't feel like something that I can keep up for the rest of my life....or even something that I desire to keep up with for the rest of my life!

I KNOW this path of yo yoing that I have been on for years now is not healthy for me....not healthy for my body OR my mind!! I need to just make up my mind once and for all to get off of this roller coaster and commit to these three simple (though not always easy) rules!

Thanks for your help Merry!!
_________________
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.’’ ~Winnie the Pooh ~

Just RELAX and DO IT!

Go out and be AMAZING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum