Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filling foods-- post yours!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larkspur

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Filling foods-- post yours! Reply with quote

I find protein like chicken or hardboiled egg works, but I am trying ease off animal protein. I've had success with white beans and tomato with a little proscuitto, and with fruit smoothies that have a whole apple blended in. Pita pizzas made with whole wheat pita are good. Oatmeal is mixed for me. I feel very full at first but it doesn't always last.

What works for you?
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey and stuffing(seriously). Spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna. Most cheeses(swiss, extra sharp, not cottage or ch-whizz.). Milkshakes(not very often).
ironchef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oatmeal (what I call porridge) works for me, but only if I spruce it up - eg with a spoon of ground linseeds, some sour cream and a few berries. I think without additions the fat is a little low to last me. Steel cut oats definitely have more staying power, but I don’t have time on weekdays. Quick oats (quick microwave oatmeal) is forgotten within the hour.

Vegetarian chilli with tortillas- plenty of beans and veg, spread some avocado on the tortilla. Very filling.

Lamb shank and barley broth.
Gracie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a lifelong vegetarian, and lentils have always been a great filling food for me! Not only are they delicious (and inexpensive), but they can be added to a variety of things. You can make chili with them, use seasoned lentils as a topping/dressing for salads, use them as the filling for a sandwich (i.e. vegan sloppy joe), etc. I primarily use lentils for dense curries (so usually they are combined with vegetables), but I like to throw them in other random dishes to add a bit of bulk. Smile

If you're looking for hearty vegetables, I enjoy eggplant in dishes as well as a bulking addition. It also has a multitude of uses across many cuisines/dishes, and it holds its texture well (whether fried, stewed, baked, boiled, etc.). Smile

Hope that helps!
CW (11/6): 113#
GW: 105#
Skelton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protein works well for me, two or even three eggs in the morning work well and hold me until lunchtime.
Oatmeal definitely does NOT hold me as I found out today. Mad
Over43

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a special dish I created. It is grits, topped with two eggs over easy, Nalley's chilli, salsa, grated cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. One bowl, it is filling. I have noticed, for me, I need to use food combinations to keep full. A low carb breakfast leaves me hungry a few hours later. The same breakfast with a couple of slices of toast (I prefer white bread) keeps me going.

On a side note, my family is worn out on my special dish. Very Happy

Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79
gingerpie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well then, what a fine opportunity for one of them to cook breakfast. Wink
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over43 wrote:
I have a special dish I created. It is grits, topped with two eggs over easy, Nalley's chilli, salsa, grated cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. One bowl, it is filling. I have noticed, for me, I need to use food combinations to keep full. A low carb breakfast leaves me hungry a few hours later. The same breakfast with a couple of slices of toast (I prefer white bread) keeps me going.

"Eggs and grits. I like grits, too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?"-Vinny Gambini
Over43

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know. I just following the instructions. Us Idahoans are not known for our culinary skill when it comes to grits.

Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: