Miracle Foods

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Miracle Foods

Post by Over43 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:19 pm

I am re-reading The No S Diet. I am in the section talking about miracle foods. I remember buying a box of Miracle Noodles. Or whatever they are called. I tried one package. The box got pushed back into the hinterland of the ice box. Six months later I threw it out.

No S is just a reminder that food really is food. Though I am not going to argue the veracity of one food over another, and the health benefits (or lack of) of certain foods over another, I have never been a believer in miracle or superfoods. As a kid apples, bananas, and oranges were superfoods. Times and fads have pushed them to the sideline of what is healthy.

Well, I am not sure how to wrap this up, so bye. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 am

LOL, seriously! It's a revolving door of which foods are super-foods! I figure, if it's natural (grew that way as opposed to being processed), it's going to be much healthier than something that comes in a box and can sit on my shelf for a couple of years--it doesn't have to have the added label of being "super" :-).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:33 am

This reminds me of my attempts to lose weight with Slimming World. I would have a fridge full of muller light yoghurts and a cupboard full of Mugshot packet soups. These are 'free' foods on Slimming World and you can eat as much as you like! Madness.
It struck me a while back that I have not stocked any 'diet' foods the whole time I have been following NoS. I just cook normal food for myself and my family, sometimes healthy and cooked from scratch, sometimes not so healthy and with a few shortcuts, sometimes a takeaway. But no special food just for me because I am on a 'diet'. Thank goodness for sanity!
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:17 am

Reminds me of this clip from The CheckOut. Essentially all of those old superfoods (like the trusty apple) turn out to have almost of the same benefits as a lot of the new ones, without the price tag.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:57 am

ironchef wrote: Essentially all of those old superfoods (like the trusty apple) turn out to have almost of the same benefits as a lot of the new ones, without the price tag.
Yes, I've long thought that if common-for-us foods like cabbage, potatoes, apples, and tomatoes were just "being discovered", they'd be touted as superfoods, too.....
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 am

ironchef wrote:Reminds me of this clip from The CheckOut. Essentially all of those old superfoods (like the trusty apple) turn out to have almost of the same benefits as a lot of the new ones, without the price tag.
Very entertaining but the 14 second-mark needs to come with a warning label--ew gross!!!
Respect Moderation

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 am

vmsurbat wrote:
Yes, I've long thought that if common-for-us foods like cabbage, potatoes, apples, and tomatoes were just "being discovered", they'd be touted as superfoods, too.....
Exactly!
Respect Moderation

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:35 am

Oops, sorry, should have mentioned a bit of colourful language at the start!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:16 am

I like to think that just as exploring cooking the "regular" foods can be fun part of No S, so can experimenting with some "new" foods. Not packaged things and such, but just a few things added to the repertoire. I've incorporated things like flaxmeal or coconut oil, but I not because I think they're going to "save" me. I eat less meat than I used to so I've changed the make up of my meals, too. And I've used grains most people don't think of for long before No S. But it's been an evolution. And it's not like being on a diet where i'm trying NOT to fall off it and go back to bingeing.

And in the spirit of self-disclosure, I do use chia seeds because they help my yogurt not to come out of its section in my lunch container. Flaxmeal does that a bit, too.

But I'm way to cost conscious to go for the really exotic stuff. Plus I think I"m almost immune to the placebo effect.

Did anyone watch the next video gluten free? (Gesundheit.) The dog doctor was the best part.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 am

ironchef wrote:Oops, sorry, should have mentioned a bit of colourful language at the start!
LOL, it wasn't the language that got me--it was the VERY VISUAL, in a serving dish no less, representation of said language! GROSS! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:26 am

But over quick...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)