Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blueox's checkin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chotzinoff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Blueox's checkin Reply with quote

My 6th day on No-S and my first official fail. I blame hubris! I didn't take an S day yesterday. It was Halloween, and I've had 59 years to try eating that candy. My husband, who is No-Sing with me, decided he would take an S-Day as he's the kind of guy who can eat one or two mini Snickers bars, so what the hell. Last night was no problem. I kept busy telling fortunes to trickortreaters with my Dad's old typewriter. But this morning, with everyone gone and a lot of yard mess to clean up, I started congratulating myself a bit much. How much snacking I HADN'T been doing, how much weight I'm likely to lose, etc. etc. Then I came face to face with the leftover candy and began mindlessly eating it. Well, half-mindlessly--Before I ate the first piece, I thought, "well, here goes a fail." I ended up eating six (big) pieces of candy. I stopped because I remembered that bingeing is a response to deprivation and I don't really experience deprivation on this diet.
If I want to eat this crap, I can eat it again on Saturday, I guess. So I stopped. I feel a little sick physically, but mentally I feel okay. I am not in the habit of stopping a binge, so it feels a little peculiar.

There is a lesson in here somewhere about staying in the present. I am so happy to have discovered this diet and I feel good eating this way. It is a great weight off my mind if not my body, yet. I think I need to focus on that, rather than some fantasy of the future.

Thanks for listening.

I know this is not a real check-in--no stats, exactly--but I'll do that at the end of my first week.
Larkspur

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Happy Halloween/unplanned-S-Day! All we have left in the house are things I don't care about much. I did discover in my MIL's cupboard some very nice candy I hid there, but I didn't get into it. I'm doing much better avoiding candy on NoS.
Chotzinoff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: another week Reply with quote

It's been two weeks now on No-S. I think the reason it works for me is it's so very simple. Not easy, but not complicated. Until starting this, I was deep in trying to completely accept my body, allow it to reach its natural weight, no food rules, reject diet mentality, etc. I had two expensive coaches for this. I got nowhere. It didn't help me to look at instagram feeds of lovely young curvy women loving their bodies. I was feeling really hopeless. I don't know who this Reinhard is, but wow. He should get a medal.

All that said, I feel a little down. I have avoided writing about it for days now, but I feel I have to try to spit it out there and see if anyone else relates.

Most of my life I've been either on or off something. Not just diets--also plans of organization and fitness. I've always worked for myself. I have a terrible time with time management. I've done a million different things to get my heart rate up. You would probably describe me as active, but now that I've hit menopause, I don't have the energy I used to have to try to get into a workable routine, yet again. Part of me is saying "hey, two solid weeks on no S, 1.5 inches smaller in the waist, give yourself a break!" But I also think the reason No-S is so sane is that it's not about magic or snake oil or rigidity, just a very simple habit. And now another voice in my head is nagging me to create similar habits and track them for all the other areas that have been so challenging. I react to this nagging by getting depressed and then wanting to completely shut down. In the past, I sometimes did this with food, sometimes with insanely addictive online puzzles.Now I'm not doing it with food, but I'm doing a LOT of puzzles. I don't really believe I have it in me to have a daily routine or to burn enough calories, but even as I write that I see how black-and-white it is. I walked to Office Depot to mail a package (about a mile) and I worked out lifting weights for 45 minutes with my regular group in the back yard. I billed 1.25 hours of good-paying work. (Not all my work is.) The rest of the time, I just felt low and hid out. I'm looking for some advice on how to build other habits in a slow, sane way that won't make me want to give up because it's so damn complicated.

Also, I have ADHD. I have a TERRIBLE track record with routines and schedules, but I can really see how much they would help me. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
jenji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound familiar. I am working on figuring out some other positive habits, particularly around work. Right now, I'm trying to study myself, as though I were an observer, and see where my passions lie, where I get joy in work, and where my weaknesses are. Can any of those weaknesses become a strength if my work life was re-jiggered in some way? So I don't have any great suggestions, but I am struggling, too, but trying to make something of my struggle, if that makes sense. I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, maybe there is something you need that you are not getting in your life, so you feel a lack? Or maybe the downtime is really positive for you? ????
Current weight 177#, BMI 27.7 - 11/16/2017
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: another week Reply with quote

Chotzinoff wrote:
It's been two weeks now on No-S. I think the reason it works for me is it's so very simple. Not easy, but not complicated. Until starting this, I was deep in trying to completely accept my body, allow it to reach its natural weight, no food rules, reject diet mentality, etc. I had two expensive coaches for this. I got nowhere. It didn't help me to look at instagram feeds of lovely young curvy women loving their bodies. I was feeling really hopeless. I don't know who this Reinhard is, but wow. He should get a medal.

All that said, I feel a little down. I have avoided writing about it for days now, but I feel I have to try to spit it out there and see if anyone else relates.

Most of my life I've been either on or off something. Not just diets--also plans of organization and fitness. I've always worked for myself. I have a terrible time with time management. I've done a million different things to get my heart rate up. You would probably describe me as active, but now that I've hit menopause, I don't have the energy I used to have to try to get into a workable routine, yet again. Part of me is saying "hey, two solid weeks on no S, 1.5 inches smaller in the waist, give yourself a break!" But I also think the reason No-S is so sane is that it's not about magic or snake oil or rigidity, just a very simple habit. And now another voice in my head is nagging me to create similar habits and track them for all the other areas that have been so challenging. I react to this nagging by getting depressed and then wanting to completely shut down. In the past, I sometimes did this with food, sometimes with insanely addictive online puzzles.Now I'm not doing it with food, but I'm doing a LOT of puzzles. I don't really believe I have it in me to have a daily routine or to burn enough calories, but even as I write that I see how black-and-white it is. I walked to Office Depot to mail a package (about a mile) and I worked out lifting weights for 45 minutes with my regular group in the back yard. I billed 1.25 hours of good-paying work. (Not all my work is.) The rest of the time, I just felt low and hid out. I'm looking for some advice on how to build other habits in a slow, sane way that won't make me want to give up because it's so damn complicated.

Also, I have ADHD. I have a TERRIBLE track record with routines and schedules, but I can really see how much they would help me. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

As someone with occasional mild to moderate ADHD myself, it sounds like you're trying to fix a LOT of things simultaneously. You would probably benefit from talking to a life coach to try and prioritize what is most important to you. Losing weight, gaining good eating habits, spending your productive time judiciously, developing an exercise program, and probably a dozen more. I hope you get it all figured out. Good Luck.
Merry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: another week Reply with quote

Chotzinoff wrote:
I'm looking for some advice on how to build other habits in a slow, sane way that won't make me want to give up because it's so damn complicated.

I waited a long time to really work on exercise for the same reasons--I didn't want it to backfire and make me want to give up (and possibly risk my No-S habit at the same time). Even now that I have decided to at least monitor exercise, I do it very casually. I use habit-cal and use only green or yellow (I don't have "N" or "S" days for exercise, so there are no "fails.") I use green if I do a 14 minute or longer workout (usually on elliptical or a T-tapp DVD I like), and I use yellow if I went for a 14 minute or longer walk. So, I get to mark successes, know what type of successes they were (the system is "easy" for me to remember, and success isn't too hard to obtain), and don't have fails to discourage me. Maybe something like that would work for you?

28.5 lbs. down, 34.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"...slim cultures...value not overeating. They don't eat more of a food just because it's good. They enjoy the food more."--Oolala
Chotzinoff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: thanks for all the input Reply with quote

I started to come around to thinking what several of you have suggested. I decided to do an Urban Ranger habitcal (I like the concept a lot) and give myself a green if I go out for any length walk at all, work out with weights, go to yoga, or basically do anything physical for 14 minutes or more. I wallowed for a bit in thinking "but that's not ENOUGH exercise! I'll never lose weight." But I also thought any exercise is a win, a non-fail. And I know myself better than to nag myself into some kind of program that is overdoing it. So far I've had several green light days in a row, and today, when I had the whole day to myself, I ended up going for a 7-mile hike in the woods because I like that particular walk and hadn't done it for a long time and the weather was beautiful. Afterward, I went to a yoga class taught by my older daughter, who is just finishing training. During the meditation part, she read aloud from our family's rather unorthodox Jewish prayer book. It was a quote from Lonesome Dove, the novel. Something like "I face my problems every day. That way, they ain't no worse than a dry shave." What a revelation! (Also I was awash in tears at how well my daughter was doing as a teacher and how much she had learned and the fact that she would read aloud from our family book. . .yeah. That was wonderful.) I re-read all Reinhard's podcast entries about forming habits. Especially the part about not setting goals, but working toward actions. I think there is something in here, between Lonesome Dove and Reinhard, that will give me an idea about my daily schedule. I know it can't be too complicated. But I have hope I didn't have just a few days ago.
Chotzinoff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: As S-Day #2 draws to a close Reply with quote

1. everything all the longtime no-S-ers observe about blind pigging out on S-days is true. I find I'm not trying to make up for all the stuff I didn't eat during the week. I'm not eating furtively. I'm just eating what I want, but not everything sounds good to me. For instance, tonight is an opportunity to have dessert, but I didn't find anything at the fancy grocery store that appealed. This is a strange feeling. Not craving anything. I'm sure it will pass.
2. Reality smacks me in the face at regular intervals on this regime. I spent so many years thinking that weight loss was a magical thing that happened to me once and would never happen again, I railed against diet mentality, etc. And I still think things like Weight Watchers are a bunch of snake oil, and I've read the statistics, like everyone else, and I know that traditional goal-oriented, deprivation-based diets have abysmal success statistics. Nevertheless, halfway into my 3rd week of no-S, I'm amazed at how much I used to eat. It actually was no mystery at all how I gained the weight I lost about ten years ago. I just snacked and snacked and snacked and ate whenever I had the slightest unpleasant emotion (and it didn't really help the unpleasant emotion). Decades ago, I was a serious binge eater, and I haven't done that so much in the past twenty years, so maybe that's how I managed to obfuscate how much I was just. . .eating. No-S makes that very clear. So, okay. Interesting. I don't sit with that, though, I think about how fat I am. I don't know how fat I am because I'm deathly afraid to weigh myself. So I measure myself, and yes, my lower half has gotten quite a bit bigger, while my upper half remained the same. It seems unfair to me that I should have found this very sane diet, but I still have to be patient about actually losing the weight! I'm a real fan of instant gratification.

Anyway, this week I am trying a few new small, underwhelming habits in addition to No-S and my own version of urban ranger. They are: working for at least 14 minutes on a creative writing project before I start my other writing. And getting my Urban Ranger done before 9 am. I'm still trying to figure out how to structure my actual workday. The only thing I have come up with is not to do any puzzles online except on S-Days. I call it Puzzle Me Not. And then there's something about my butt in a chair at a desk for big swathes of time on a workday, but I can't figure out such a huge thing. So this week, it's:
No-S
Urban Ranger before 9 am
Modge Podge (my personal writing) for 14 minutes before any paying work
Puzzle Me Not

Sorry this was so long, but it is a great help to have this community, let alone to think anyone is listening.
Chotzinoff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: success! Reply with quote

I did no puzzles today.
I was pretty damn active today--3+ periods of more than 14 minutes involving moving around outside.
I adhered successfully to No-S.
I wrote on my creative project for 30 minutes this morning before doing anything else.

Here is what's weird--I had such a strong urge to become completely numb between 1 and 4 pm. I just wanted to not think or feel.This was not an option and I'm actually amazed at how I got through the day without doing anything blank, such as binge eating or doing endless puzzles online. (or any puzzles, anywhere.) it occurs to me that I have more time in a day than I thought. This thought. . .just is. I'm not excited about it. I'm not afraid of it. (Less afraid than I was yesterday, anyway.) I just look at it.

All for now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: