post horrifying/motivation sugar stats here

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

post horrifying/motivation sugar stats here

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 pm

The jury is still out on when in a person's "development" that health information actually causes a change in behavior. That being said, post your finds on shocking sugar facts here.

Not that it stopped me from having some sugar yesterday and today, I heard a stat on an interview with Stephen Guyenet (yes, the obsession continues) about the amount of sugar we've become habituated to. I'm not sure of the exact beginning date but I think he said that the average person in 1880 ingested the same amount of sugar in one can of Coke in five days. Now that is the amount ingested EVERY SEVEN HOURS on average in the U. S. Given that I haven't had a sugar-sweetened Coke since I was in high school (class of 1971). some poor you-know-what is downing a heck of a lot of cola!

So someday I might post on the "mod" thread https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2527 that my weekend sweets ingestion will approximately match 1880 average intake, or 17 ounces of coke, i. e. up to 1/3 cup of sugar. That is one small sliver of something very sweet, I'd guess. So if that sounds very small, as it does to me as a lifetime limit, thank BIG FOOD and habituation.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jenji

Post by jenji » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 am

Wow, that's a lot of sugar. I am not a soda drinker, but I am partial to sweets, and I stumbled upon no-S by googling something about low sugar habits. It is nuts that we eat so many more pounds of sugar than we once did, even in our grandparent's time. I do think sugar is at the root of a lot of our metabolic problems, the so-called diseases of the Western diet.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I made chili last weekend. Used vegetable broth, kidney beans and canned tomatoes (all from Aldi) The end result was so sweet I had to make myself eat it as to not waste it. I see no reason why any of those products "need" sugar added and yet there it was. Honestly, It's exhausting to have to read every label every time.

Selcazare

Re: post horrifying/motivation sugar stats here

Post by Selcazare » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm

oolala53 wrote:some poor you-know-what is downing a heck of a lot of cola!
I am that poor you-know-what when I fall into old habits! Before No S (and even on detours away from No S), I will drink up to six 12-ounce cans of Dr Pepper or Sprite per day. I love everything about soda! When I read testimonials from alcoholics about their drinking, it sounds identical to my own soda-drinking habit. It's sort of funny because I can drop a ridiculous amount of weight just stopping soda because my meals are very moderate and I've pretty much stopped snacking over the past few years. But 900-1200 calories of pure liquid sugar per day can put fat onto anyone, as I well know.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:26 am

My meals had gotten to the point before No S at which they were reasonable, often even "healthy." I did have my savory junk at some meals on No S for...well, sometimes still now, but certainly a lot less as time has gone on. But my big issue was sweets, bingeing or at least semi-bingeing on them every day for years. It started with something big in the afternoon, usually, and then the snacking was pretty much continuous for the rest of the day. Each bite I had I'd tell myself would be the last of the day. The last had to finally come each day, but almost always after many failures. Swacks/sweeks ? sweet snacks led to more snacks, often ping ponging from sweet to savory and back.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:41 am

If I could live on sodas I would. Mtn dew and coke to be exact. My addiction is what keeps me from sticking to diets. I can't seem to live without them. When I want motivation to stop sugar I watch sugar : the bitter truth on YouTube by Dr Robert lustig.

xara

Post by xara » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm

I've never been a huge consumer of soda, but at certain times or with certain meals, I like something of that nature. On No-S I've found a satisfying solution by adding stevia to taste and lemon juice to flavored, but unsweetened, fizzy water.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 pm

MM, out of curiosity, how long does watching Lustig last? Are sodas your only way of not sticking to a diet, or are they gateway drugs?

I'm toying with the idea of aiming in 2018 to have only the sugar a person in 1822 would have, and possibly weaning myself off stevia on N days. I think that would mean just about no sweets until the next holiday season. Isn't it a sign of the times that that sounds almost outrageous, like being a health nut or something? But why should it seem like such a terrible sacrifice when I would have plenty of other food to eat? Is it so central to our idea of pleasure that life without it sounds like I'd be somehow missing out on something really important?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Oolala, Lustig's video is about 90 minute. I found it useful to understand how sugar is processed in our bodies although he take the discussion into a political realm that I'm a little sceptical of.
But why should it seem like such a terrible sacrifice when I would have plenty of other food to eat? Is it so central to our idea of pleasure that life without it sounds like I'd be somehow missing out on something really important?
It is central to our lives that's true. But it's also a daunting task to get it out. Aside from the obvious sources, you'll have to stop eating virtually anything processed. I don't say this to be discouraging, I just think you should know what you're in for. The worst is hours upon hours of reading labels while standing in the grocery isle. Of course you know that sugar travels under many different names so you'll have to either memorize those or take a list with you (my shorthand method is to reject anything that has an ingredient that is a syrup or ends in "ose" ) Anyway, the task can be frustrating. It sort of works to have memorized the products that are sugar free but there is still a lot of variables that come into play but perhaps, it'd be a bit easier if you're cooking for one instead of a family. That doesn't even take into account eating out. I can assure you, no matter where you go, there will be sugar in some form. So to address your question. Yes, it really is that central in our lives. Plus it's tasty. :wink:

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:04 pm

gingerpie wrote:Aside from the obvious sources, you'll have to stop eating virtually anything processed...The worst is hours upon hours of reading labels while standing in the grocery isle.
It says more about me than you that I read this and thought you must be hyperbolic to the extreme here as I read every single label of anything I bring into my house and I make most things from scratch because of it. Husband with an autoimmune disease that he treats with diet makes all of this second nature for me.

Of course, I still have a major problem with soda so it's not like I can follow some 1822 sugar recommendations for myself but I do know that it's a ridiculous amount of refined sugar.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:45 pm

I ended up going on a personal tangent, so I'm pasting it to my check in thread.

Feel free to post any of those sugar effects on the bod, if you think they might be motivating. I hope anyone who doesn't want to be influenced by such data won't read this thread! I"m going to edit my first post and put that as a comment. I wouldn't have been interested in much anti-sugar propaganda when I started!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23