Brain fog/insomnia/insane hunger

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

moksha

Brain fog/insomnia/insane hunger

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:47 am

This is no-s for me the second time around.

Day 2 and I know my portion sizes are way too big, but yesterday I was so hungry I almost fainted (light-headed, dizzy and brain fog at work). I'm 5'4" and female so it's quite easy for me to eat beyond my means and gain weight. Being too hungry also gives me insomnia and this morning I woke up at 3:30 in the morning with a gnawing hunger and utterly unable to sleep.

I have quite an active job and it seems like throwing all of my calories into three large meals is a massive stretch for me. Did anyone else experience insane levels of hunger/dizziness or insomnia their first time around? I've been a binge eater for upwards of fifteen years on and off and I feel like no-s could be my saviour, if only it didn't make me feel like garbage :(

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 am

Hi Moksha,

I find it easy to undereat on No S if I am not eating enough energy dense foods, ie starches and fats/oils, to get enough calories as well as eating protein and lots of vegies. Not enough food also equals insomnia, overhungry, light-headedness. It's a balancing act, but I find it is better to eat bigger meals and try to avoid both the excessive hunger and the bingeing. My plates are often quite big, but I am still slowly losing weight.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:05 pm

I never experienced such things, even when I was doing intermittent fasting last year, but I'll still ring in with saying that it seems perfectly okay to start back with more smaller meals spread out, and then see if you can taper off later.

I've also read others say the dizziness and other side effects went away after a few days, though that might be asking a lot of yourself to go through.

I have had insomnia for 20 years. I don't think it would be good to bring it on to lose weight. In fact, just the opposite. Do what you need to keep your sleep cycle intact. IMHO.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:15 am

I've not experienced these things with no-s but I have experienced them when I've abruptly stopped all caffeine and later when I've stopped all sugar. If you think one of those is the culprit, there is no reason not to use a "step down" method. Or for that matter try following no-s in stages. Maybe two weeks follow it from breakfast to lunch then when you've adjusted to that, add from lunch to dinner and a few weeks later add from dinner to bedtime. In any case, if you continue to feel miserable maybe check with a doctor to be sure you have no underlying medical issue.

Best of luck to you.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 am

No S as written doesn't actually mandate 3 meals, so if you prefer 4 (or 2) that's within the rules. As long as they are pre-planned meals and not snacks, you're all good.

Also, when I am light-headed it is almost always blood pressure, not blood sugar, related. I have low blood pressure, and have to be careful to drink enough fluids. A lot of people don't realise how much fluid comes from the foods they eat, so make sure you're drinking plenty of water as you stop snacking to replace that liquid. I also find if I have a very unbalanced plate (e.g. just pasta for dinner) I am often hungry sooner than if I have a mix of things.

When I was up at nights breastfeeding I used to get very hungry. I used the option of a glass of milk to tame the hunger and let me fall back to sleep. You can have milk (or milky tea / coffee) between meals, those are all vanilla No S.

Your body is used to you constantly drip feeding it nutrients. It is not surprising that in the first few days the body doesn't know you have changed the rules, expects feeding, and will thus complain. Give it some time.

Finally - on Day 2 (or Day 10) I would just forget about portion sizes. Just fill your plate with savoury food three (or four) times a day and move on. Worry about other stuff - portion sizes, healthiness of food etc - in a few months when you have the habits solid!

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I think I'm going to try to stick out the three plate method as I like the solidity/ease of 3 plates. At this point I know if I start easing up on the rules I will probably break them. Hopefully my body will get used to being fed a little less. I do have low blood pressure, but the lightheadedness/dizziness does go away when I eat (I walk about 8km a day for my job during the day so it's used to having constant fuel). I've been pretty good at giving myself a good spread of macros. I'll hang in there, up my fats and water a little and see if that and time don't help the issue. Thanks again!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:26 am

I cycle 20 km a day on work days - 10km in and 10km home. The morning ride I do on a cup of tea only, after an overnight "fast" of around 14 hours. 5 years ago I would never have attempted this, but these days it is not an issue, so definitely your body can get used to a different routine and learn to draw on stores instead of needing to be fed at all hours. It takes time though - probably not a few days.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:03 pm

The morning ride I do on a cup of tea only, after an overnight "fast" of around 14 hours. 5 years ago I would never have attempted this, but these days it is not an issue, so definitely your body can get used to a different routine and learn to draw on stores instead of needing to be fed at all hours. It takes time though - probably not a few days.
That's true. I run in a fasted state now and I wouldn't have even considered it when I started. Maybe the body really does have to "learn" how to access the energy available.

Good luck. Stay aware and monitor. 😊

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 pm

gingerpie wrote:
The morning ride I do on a cup of tea only, after an overnight "fast" of around 14 hours. 5 years ago I would never have attempted this, but these days it is not an issue, so definitely your body can get used to a different routine and learn to draw on stores instead of needing to be fed at all hours. It takes time though - probably not a few days.
That's true. I run in a fasted state now and I wouldn't have even considered it when I started. Maybe the body really does have to "learn" how to access the energy available.

Will do! My hunger levels have gotten much more manageable and the light-headedness has passed. I cut my carbs by a lot and upped my fat significantly and that has helped. I've also tried intermittent fasting in the past and though it helped make my hunger much more manageable, it also gave me crazy mood swings. IF isn't good for some women if take to extremes, apparently.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Good to hear that you are feeling less hungry now. I can now walk for several hours on an empty stomach, something previously unimaginable. But it didn't happen overnight.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Windsurfgirl

Post by Windsurfgirl » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:38 am

It makes sense when you think about it. If humans couldn't exert themselves physically on an empty stomach, we'd have really struggled as hunter gathers!

Congrats Moksha on pushing on through hungry stage.

(Hello by the way, I've been lurking on the forum for a while, but I think this might be my first post :) ).

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:48 am

moksha wrote:
gingerpie wrote:

Will do! My hunger levels have gotten much more manageable and the light-headedness has passed. I cut my carbs by a lot and upped my fat significantly and that has helped. I've also tried intermittent fasting in the past and though it helped make my hunger much more manageable, it also gave me crazy mood swings. IF isn't good for some women if take to extremes, apparently.
When I say "fast", I'm not really using the term like in IF - I drink milky tea or coffee before I ride etc. I try not to eat late in the night because I suffer a bit from heartburn, but otherwise my overnight not eating period would be shorter.

I'm similar in the mood department, I can get inexplicably grumpy, then realize it's late morning and I haven't had my brekky! I think for some people (especially women) there are hormonal side effects that aren't beneficial.