Ria's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ria

Ria's Daily Check In

Post by Ria » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi everyone! Newbie here. Discovered No S three months ago, actually, but haven't started at all because of a wicked amount of sad personal events going on. There were some times where I'd do No S perfectly for up to two weeks, but then another major problem would surface and I'd fall off the wagon. But, I gotta seriously start eventually, so today's THE day!
Last edited by Ria on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:31 am

Hi! Just wanted to say that I'm 64 years old, 5'5" but haven't weighed less than 130 for about 52 years. I'd bet your history is different.

And kudos for staying in the 150's for so long after a big gain and then loss.

Good luck!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Ria

Post by Ria » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Day 1 was a success!
Last edited by Ria on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Ria wrote:Day 1 was a success! Though I gotta say snacking was quite the temptation. There appears to be a mysterious teleporter in my house that randomly takes me to the kitchen several times a day... :wink: You know the cartoons where a pie's cooling off by an open window? And the FANTASTIC smells are wafting through the air in a visible cloud? Yup, it was like that all day; the family's "testing out" some desserts for Christmas, and in my mind I was the cartoon character levitating towards the window.

Normally, I'll have my daily sweet, but those desserts were probably more tempting because of the Nativity fast going on (which is basically a vegan diet from Nov 15 till Xmas.) My first "big fast," too. So it's quite an adjustment for this omnivore, and I'm *still* trying to figure out how to have more "substantial" and well-rounded meals on a vegan diet, especially since I'm trying to stick to three solid meals for No S and I can't cook to save my life :?. Any tips anyone?

I'll check in tomorrow probably. See ya later!
Welcome, You've done pretty well on your own. I like that your signature says you're a minimalist. So maybe combining a 6 week Nativity fast, with a vegan diet and NoS all at the same time is just a "wee bit outside" of your sig. Quoting the line from Major Leagues film. Maybe a short postponement of vanilla NoS until after the holidays. You'll figure it out.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Ria, glad you're doing well. Honestly, I don't have any tips for easy vegan meals. I'm guessing lots of vegetable stir-fry, past-bakes and vegetable-topped potatoes. What is a "nativity-fast"? We might be able to help brainstorm ideas if we know the parameters.
Best of luck to you.

Ria

Post by Ria » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Day 2 (12/01/17) was another success! Went out to eat yesterday for dinner and got a really big salad. Ridiculously big - probably enough to feed two or three people as a main course. Your eyes and plate really are the only measuring tools you need. It's always been crazy to me how big portions are, yet it's also so easy to forget that when you actually have a plate of food in front of you. When I was little, my dad from Malaysia would always eyeball his hand to figure out our portions. You chewed thoroughly and savored your food, put your utensils down, sipped some tea, and swallowed before going in for another bite. AND you talked to people at the table! Family meals would last around an hour. Strange how that's all flown out the window by now. No wonder everyone on my dad's side is so slim! It's nice to finally get back to that.

Checked out my average steps and calories from my Fitbit Alta. Started using it on 09/19/17, but the last month's average is 12,707 steps and 2,384 calories burned a day. Hmm... but I do wonder how accurate this thing is? It seems pretty good. Anyhow, next goal is to average 13K steps a day. Hopefully by New Year's, but with Cleveland's WONDERFUL winter weather, who knows?

BTW, thanks for the comments and encouragement! I figured that I'd just continue taking some supplements until the Nativity fast's over. (Which is no meat, eggs, dairy, alcohol, and *only* olive oil.) Better safe than sorry, I suppose. It started on 11/15, so I probably would've noticed any adverse symptoms by now.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:41 am

Hmm, it's a bit of a handicap not to be able to cook with vegan. Not even rice?Bake or boil white and/or sweet potatoes? Dried beans in a crock pot? Can you get cooked beans in big quantities? Any two starches, along with veggies, olive oil or nuts, and fruit can make decent lunches and dinners. Bread and peanut or almond butter for breakfast? (Don't tell me you can't have nuts!) Can you find an Italian herb mix? That plus a little salt can go a long way. I use commercial sauces a fair amount, such as Indian ones in jars or pouches. Other spice mixes are out there for variety.

What did you do for the nativity fast other years?

Just do your best. It complicates the nativity fast a bit to have to keep to three meals, but it isn't as if you can't get enough to eat. And it's supposed to be a bit of a lesson in sacrifice, right?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)