MaryTee's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MaryTee

MaryTee's Check-In

Post by MaryTee » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:42 am

Day 1

SUCCESS

B: 2 boiled eggs, 2 pcs bacon, coffee w/ cream, applesauce
L: Brunswick stew
D: pork tenderloin, ciabatta roll, salad greens w/ viniagrette

Exercise: Step Away the Inches- 25 minutes
Last edited by MaryTee on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 am

Day 2

SUCCESS

B: 2 boiled eggs, 2 pcs bacon, coffee w/ cream, fresh pineapple
L: Brunswick stew, handful of pumpkin seeds
D: chicken stir fry (rice, peas, broccoli), small glass of milk

Exercise: Step Away the Inches- 25 minutes

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 am

Keep up the good work. And welcome.

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 pm

Thanks gingerpie :D

Day 3

SUCCESS

B: 2 boiled eggs, 3 pcs bacon, coffee w/ cream, fresh pineapple
L: salad with chicken, romaine lettuce, pumpkin seeds, sour cream, chedder
D: bbq chicken, roasted potatoes, collards

No exercise today. Feeling a little stuffy and sluggish today.

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 am

Day 4

SUCCESS

B: 1 boiled egg, 1 smoked sausage, coffee w/ cream, fresh pineapple
L: Brunswick stew, crackers
D: 2 thin pork chops, small baked sweet potato w/ cinnamon & butter, salad greens w/ lemon and olive oil

Exercise: Step Away the Inches- 25 min

I feel so good. Today, I realized that I have not been as cranky as I normally have been when I get home from work. Before NO S I would eat lots of candy at work around 4-ish. Once I got home I would be a in a horrible mood. This week I have been so mellow and calm. It is truly amazing. It is hard to believe that food can be so powerful.
Last edited by MaryTee on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:19 am

Welcome! And yes, food IS powerful. Cruddy food can make us think terrible things about ourselves and fool us about what we need. And why not? If there are substances that can help people reduce thinking depressed thoughts, why not things that can make them think those thoughts?

The time between the end of work and dinner are often my worst times, even though I had a few years when they weren't at all. Onwards!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:18 am

Day 5

SUCCESS

B: 1 fried egg, 1 smoked sausage, coffee w/ cream, sprouted grain toast w/ cinnamon
L: big salad (romaine, chicken, pumpkin seeds, sour cream, vinegar), crackers
D: taco night (my version): ground beef, sour cream, avocado, onion, tomato, cheese, tortilla chips

coffee, little cream

No exercise today. I got home very late and didn't really have time.

Today was probably the hardest since beginning. I got home late and I was resenting the fact that I had to put away groceries, cook dinner, clean the kitchen, and bathe the children. I felt like my husband should have just done the bathing even though it is my night to do it. I wanted him to have a little compassion since I got home later than normal. I wanted to eat one of his granola bars out of pure spite because I know he wouldn't want me to since he wants me to lose weight. I know that sounds crazy, but it is the truth. I did not eat the granola bar. I just had a small cup of coffee and got over it but it took a long conversation with myself to do that.

At work someone offered me a cupcake. I said no. I know I could have saved it for tomorrow, but I really didn't want it... not even tomorrow. This is a big deal coming from me. I love sweets. It is my hardest S.

Anyway...I can't wait until tomorrow. I am so excited. I have sweet potato pie with whipped cream calling my name. This will be much better than a cupcake.

When I decided to start this diet I thought about sweets a lot since I have a hard time with them. I decided I would qualify them before eating them on Sdays. They have to be ones I really really like OR they have to be special/unique ...something I can't get everyday. They should preferably be high quality but I won't be too picky about this if the dessert fits one of the other categories. I just don't want to start eating low quality, pointless candy just for the sake of having a sweet. I have done that too many times in my life and then regretted it. I mean...what is the point in eating Jawbreakers? Smarties? Airheads? No point at all. :roll:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:50 am

Well done outlasting the urge to spite your husband. Coffee is a good interim choice. You’re gonna love that pie tomorrow.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:39 am

Wow! Excellent self-talk. 👠Bet your pie is deeeee-lish.

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:23 am

Day 6

S-DAY

B : 3 pcs bacon, coffee w/ cream, french toast (I used sprouted bread...it was ok but not special. I will use regular bread the next time)
L: hamburger steak with onions, salad (mixed greens, tomato, sour cream, red vinegar
D: oven fried wings, slaw
Treat: sweet potato pie, whipped cream, cashews, black coffee (It wasn't as satisfying as I hoped it would be.)

Exercise: :)
Starting size 14
Current: 14
Goal: 8

Began NO S on 11/27/2017

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:42 am

Day 7 S-Day
Day 8 Failure
Starting size 14

Began NO S on 11/27/2017

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 am

Day 9 Failure

I am having a hard time getting back on track. Last week was great. I am not sure what happened.
Starting size 14

Began NO S on 11/27/2017

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:00 pm

It happens to all of us occasionally. Try to remember the good feelings and any other benefits you had with last wee's success. Reflect on why you want to do this (other than just weight loss) - I find that weight loss as a goal really isn't motivating enough to keep me going when the going gets tough. It helps to have other reasons such as more energy, better sleep, nutrition that's supportive of my athletic goal . . . things like that.

The key I think is to just keep working at it. The mark it and move on mentality is vital for long term success. So, the idea is that you don't ignore the failures. They happened and it will probably be helpful to try to analyze why they happened in order to try to prevent it in the future but there is no reason to perseverate on it or to let it effect your success today. Each day, each hour and each minute give you a new opportunity to be successful.

Best of luck to you today.

jenji

Post by jenji » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Welcome! I think some failure days are to be expected. I've been trying to just observe when and why I fail right now, not trying even to change the behavior. This is because I sometimes jump to conclusions about what is working and what isn't, but the answer is sometimes a little different than it looked at first. Hang in there. I hope you can have a green day today.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:37 am

Thanks for the encouragement. Sadly, I did fail today. Tomorrow will be better.
Starting size 14

Began NO S on 11/27/2017

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 am

Do you mind telling us how you failed? It is by no means required but it may help us help you problem solve.

Whatever you decide. I hope all goes well today.

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi ginger,
I found myself snacking and nibbling constantly. I thought about it. I usually prep meals for my whole week for the whole family. Last weekend was crazy and I really didn't prep as much as I normally do. I figured I could just wing my lunches. Well it didn't work, because I didn't have rounded meals like I normally do. I was fighting that little pocket of hunger that was left after eating and then I just gave in. I can't let that happen again. Plus, it has been a crazy week in general

You are right; weight loss is definitely not a strong motivator.
Starting size 14

Began NO S on 11/27/2017

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:13 am

You'll probably find later that you can tolerate a few non-routine meals, but it can sure throw you in the beginning, if that's what you're already used to. I think the brain thinks, okay, the experiment is over, we can go back to the old habits. And I completely agree to have other reasons to stick with it. An obesity doctor I read (and I thought he was a lot more down to earth than any diet guru) said if you don't actually LIKE your new lifestyle, you will revert to your old habits, no matter how much you think you want "that body." At least you're not being swayed by resentment.

If thinness/and or guilt worked as motivators, no one would gain weight back.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaryTee

Post by MaryTee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Hopefully, week three will be better. I made a list of all the things that I want from this other than weight loss. I realize that the dream of weight loss is not enough to push me right now because it isn't immediate. The good mood that I had the first week was immediate. I will focus on that this week.
Starting size 14

Began NO S on 11/27/2017