3squaremeals daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:58 am

Well today was my birthday and I are far too much and permasnacked all day but glad to be back to an N day tomorrow as I'm feeling rather blah.
I enjoyed chocolate cake, lemon meringue pie and chocolate to name a few things today plus wine. Will be glad to get back to regular S weekends now since Easter and my birthday are over. I really do need to reign in the S days if I want to lose some weight. Try to only have one S per S day rather than making it an all day thing. I managed to get out for a walk tonight and may go to the gym in the next few days

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Here's to a nice N Sunday after delicious extras yesterday.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks Oolala, it is Monday here today :)

Well today was a red day. I did so well until after dinner. I think having 3 S days in a row really throws me out of routine. Plus I felt so fat and bloated after the weekend I felt like I wanted to go on a diet and was thinking about diets throughout the day, and whenever I think of dieting it usually causes a binge because I used to binge then go on a diet. I need to focus on habit the rest of this week and not stress about dieting or how healthy what I am eating is. I also definitely want to limit my S day treats so that I am still on habit but might get some chocolate or a piece of cake or something to enjoy after dinner.

At least i have had a reminder of how rubbish I used to feel after binging! Anyway I will put it behind me and get myself back on track! If I don't I will spiral out of control.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:50 am

That is a great attitude-put it behind me and get back on track. The value of overdoing it, in my opinion is in how it is a reminder of how lousy we feel from the overeating that seems so important at the time. It's clear evidence, not someone telling us.

This week, give yourself lots of credit every time you get through to the next meal staying on plan, especially during any time that you used to be the most vulnerable. If it's at night, promise yourself a big breakfast if you make it to bed without snacking. (The big breakfast is optional. You probably won't feel like having it.)

I love that term: feeling rubbish
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks Oolala for your advice. I really struggled through this afternoon but made it through the day. It feels good to have been strong. Just got to take it one meal at a time over the rest of the week. I am a little nervous about only having 2 more N days before being back to my S days again but if I just try to stick to my N day structure with a treat or 2 added in I should be fine.

B- crumpets with butter and marmite
L- toasted cheese sandwich with a sliced up Frankfurt in, ketchup, mustard and onion + a mandarin
T- chilli con carne with sour cream and cheese on rice with cabbage

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 pm

I humbly suggest trying to fill your S days with pleasurable or productive activities for awhile to take some of the attention off S's.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:19 am

Arghh yesterday was a very red day. I baked cookies for the kids and caved in and binged. I don't know what is going on lately, I think I maybe just felt guilty about the weekend and my weight had kind of plateaued after losing the first bit of weight. Which was due to wild S days. Anyway I can't dwell on it, I just need to move on and deal with the consequences which is weight gain and being out of habit.

Today was green. I have made a mod for the first week to help get me through my afternoons if I need something which is a cup of milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of hot chocolate mix. I figure we are allowed milk, and the teaspoon of hot chocolate mix is made up of cocoa and sugar and I put sugar in my tea. Once my No S habit is feeling in place again I will take that mod away. Anything to stop this awful binge eating that makes me feel so full and bloated.

Food today
B- baked beans and cheese on an English muffin toasted under the grill
L- Turkish bread with pastrami, cheese, tomato and aioli placed under the grill and an apple (it's Autumn aka fall here so I'm craving lots of hot food)
S- hot chocolate
T- chicken kiev, mashed potato, carrot, broccoli and corn

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:11 pm

I do hot chocolate in the afternoons too.

I used to do clean eating with a cheat day, so the S days are kinda familiar to me. So that's what, 104 S days a year not counting holidays. If I think of it that way that helps me avoid the snatch and grab mentality. Whatever nice thing it is, it'll be there next S day. Sometimes that works lol.

The other trick I've had success with is: if I'm eating something I think I shouldn't, I try to slow down, stop other things, pay attention and enjoy it.

To be fair, I don't think of myself as having a binging problem. I have more of an entitlement problem <G>. So if anybody has any tips for that :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Look at what you like about being entitled but also what price you pay. Is it worth it? Maybe it is. There's something you can't get when you frequently eat out of entitlement, something you're missing out on. Do you enjoy your food as much when you eat because you feel entitled? See if the trade off makes sense. When we see these things rationally, the choice becomes easier. We realize we are really getting something we really want in exchange for something else we don't prize as much anymore.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks for your support and advice Larkspur and oolala.

Today (Friday) is usually an S day for me so I took it as an S day with the exception of having only one or two S events to help keep me on track with 3 meals a day and to make sure I don't go over a week without an S day.

Today's food
B- crumpets with peanut butter and a banana
L- Turkish bread toasted with bacon, avocado, tomato and aioli + an apple
T- chicken burger, fries, some popcorn chicken pieces
S day treat- 4 small homemade cookies, few extra fries from my son's plate

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Mon May 01, 2017 11:42 am

I'm back and ready to start the new month fresh with no extra red days! I feel like I'm ready to get back on track, don't think it helped being that time of the month and the weekend sugar binge during my birthday weekend.

I was going to make a mod that I only have one S day but I don't want to go interfering with the system just yet. I will just try hard to make sure I don't go crazy on my S days as I want to stick to my routine of 3 meals and have a treat rather than eating what I like all day long and feeling rubbish. I would like to plan in advance something I will really enjoy.

Yesterday's food
B- sausage and egg mc muffin
L- ham, cheese, tomato and aioli toasted sandwich + apple
T- chilli con carne (with lots of hidden veg for my fussy toddler) on rice and broccoli

Today's food
B- crumpets with butter and a cappuccino
L- ham, tomato paste, cheese and basil toasted sandwich + apple
T- Thai Red curry on rice with lots of veg in the curry and steamed cauliflower
E- kicking the ball around the yard with my son for 30 mins + lots of housework

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Good S day plan for May.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri May 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Today was an S day
B- crumpets with butter and marmite and an apple
L- Turkish roll with pastrami, cheese, tomato and aioli + watermelon
T- Korean spicy pork on rice and stir fried veg
S day treats- piece of caramel slice, some of the kids homemade fried rice

Glad I was able to have a tame S day today after many days of binging. I'm really starting to work on my binging. I am doing the 21 day challenge to help me get out of the binge cycle/rut I've gotten myself into. Today was day 1 starting with my usual Friday S day. I'm really wanting to get back on track with no S as this is the only plan I enjoy or ever want to do again. I really enjoyed the month that I was on track before falling off the wagon.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Keep trying to remember that, not just on S days, but often every day, even when there is no temptation. Honestly, for me, it didn't (and doesn't) always make it easy on S days to be moderate. (Mine has more to do with the aimlessness that I have not been able to change.) But it makes it worth it every time I am.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat May 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks oolala.

Another pretty good S day yesterday. Had a friend's birthday barbeque dinner that I went to.

B- 2 crumpets with butter and marmite
L- chicken and vegetable soup, garlic butter toast and an apple
T- barbeque meats and salads

S day treats- soft serve ice cream, few chicken nuggets and fries from kids, extra piece of meat at barbeque

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 am

I have decided to take a week or two break from posting just to give myself time to work on my binging habit. I will be loosely following No S but don't want to feel as though I have to be green or I binge. It usually takes me a week or two to get back out of my binging habit and I can stay on track for a while but if I start having 2-3 days of binges I start spiralling out of control until it is a daily thing. I may make some mods for my S days to prevent binges too, will have a good think about it while I'm getting everything under control.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri May 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Just reading through the No S book again to get me in the right mindset. 2 quotes I need to focus on from the book are 'fight one enemy at a time, not three at once' this resonates with me because I am too focused on what I'm eating being perfect nutritionally when first off I need to just focus on one thing which is forming the No S habit.

Secondly is 'you have no business worrying about antioxidants when you are 50lbs overweight' I need to stop focusing on trying to eat clean, low fat and only wholegrains while binging on bars of chocolate because I feel deprived. I would be better off just moderating my intake of food in general.

I was looking at photos of myself from only a month ago and I don't actually look too bad. I had gotten down to a size 8 (US sizing) size 12 (AUS, UK sizing) Not my ideal weight but it is so much better than where I'm at now mentally and physically. I currently feel chained to food, up about 9lbs and absolutely miserable after a few weeks of binging. I know I need No S in my life, it makes me feel sane. I don't have to obsess that I'm eating low fat dairy, whole grains and if my snack is low enough in calories. I am going to focus on eating food I enjoy while sticking to vanilla no S because I hate how I'm feeling at the moment, I want to be back where I was a month ago, enjoying my food and feeling not too bad about my body.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Very worthy strategies. I've seen a fair number of people give up because they kept trying to eat "diet" meals and then overate other stuff. I personally think it really undermines one's own faith in oneself to profess the need for purity and then reneg on it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Mon May 22, 2017 3:54 am

Arghh I'm finding it so hard to get back on track. I think I have depression too so am heading to my GP on Friday to hopefully get some antidepressants. Have just felt so lethargic with no motivation to even do daily chores or activities lately. I know having the structure of No S again will really help me. I've also brought a new stroller that is suitable for walking along rugged terrain, so I will be taking my toddler for walks as well as going to the gym maybe 2 times a week.

I know that when I am eating properly and exercising that it helps me to feel less down and more in control of my life but I do still think I need an antidepressant to stop me going into depression every few weeks or months.

Anyway, I will make an effort to read the rest of No S and try my hardest to get through an N day tomorrow

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:45 pm

I've done No S on meds just about the whole time.

It is really true that the structure helps. It doesn't make the thinking problems or the body's reaction go away, but it does feel better overall to use it. Better, but not necessarily great. Do whatever you can to muster the effort to stick with it. Remind yourself that you will never be sorry you didn't give in.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 am

Thanks oolala.

I am happy to report I have stuck to No S for 4 days in a row, something I haven't been able to do for over a month. I did have the urge to binge this afternoon but I managed to stick it out and just have a hot chocolate. I had a really low day today because my son had an appointment and I had to bring my toddler and 4 year old. They were running an hour late and my 4 year old was acting up and my toddler was throwing tantrums one after the other, everyone was staring! I just got home and cried but I'm feeling better now.

Also I had low blood sugar an hour before dinner and was getting shakey so I had a mandarin. I know when I get low blood sugar I need to eat something healthy or I go into binge mode and consume the pantry contents. I know my blood sugar will even out after a while of No S'ing but after a month of binging I think my body is still over producing insulin still expecting me to eat large quantities of sugar which is what gave me the shakes.

I'm finding my mod of having a teaspoon of hot chocolate mix in a cup of hot milk is helping to get me through the afternoons at this stage. I will hopefully stop that once I'm feeling comfortable enough and that I don't need it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Weaning is a perfectly acceptable path, in my opinion. Just keep going!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Wed May 31, 2017 4:39 am

Yes after my month long binge I definitely need weaning.

I am happy to report I'm down 3kg mostly if not all water weight. I like to weigh myself frequently in the first week as it helps motivate me to keep going. Then I will switch to weekly or fortnightly weighing and will hopefully go back to barely weighing myself once I am feeling comfortable again.

Today was another very testing day, I felt hungry an hour before my usual lunch time so had an early lunch. But then felt like binging after lunch so I allowed myself 2 squares of dark chocolate, as I can control myself around dark chocolate and knew it wouldn't trigger me to binge but would help satisfy my urge to binge.

I was also contemplating bringing my S day back to today Weds instead of Friday but decided I can make it through today, then I only have tomorrow before I can enjoy my well earned S day. I already know I am having a Nutella Cronut (cross between a croissant and donut) My local cafe have just started making them and I seen them advertised last week, so it has been on my mind all week.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:50 am

Yesterday was green and today is an S day. I have eaten more than I would have liked but I baked a cake for my son's birthday tomorrow and tasted far too much frosting. Plus i had some chocolate and lollies while filling up my son's party bags and 2 Cronuts this morning which were so amazing! I didn't lose control and binge though which I'm glad about.
Tomorrow will be another S day. Hopefully will just have 1 piece of my son's birthday cake.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:25 pm

You lost 6 pounds from the 18th to the 24th? Wow
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:16 pm

I ended up losing 7.5lbs in 6 days I went from 197.5lbs to 190lbs and I was eating rich and large meals too. But I was eating a huge amount of calories with my binges before starting No S again.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 am

Got it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:47 am

So of course I strayed again from No S and paid lots of money for a diet subscription and tub of weight loss shakes. Only to wind up heavier. Plus had to listen to my partner whinge about eating tasteless low calorie meals instead of the delicious ones I make on No S. Hopefully I've learnt my lesson for good that diets aren't sustainable. At least I got to enjoy a delicious lunch on my first day of No S. A toasted Turkish roll with bacon, tomato, avocado and aioli. I've got lots of yummy meals planned for the week to help keep me on track and to make up for feeding my partner tasteless rubbish the last week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:15 am

You'd have to change your username if you started living on diet shakes. No more experimenting with them unless you're willing to. :P

Was this because you thought you weren't losing fast enough? I thought you thought things were going ok.

Isabel Foxen Duke, an anti-diet (anti ANY restriction) maven says she never experienced any drug with as great a rush as the rush from starting a diet she think is going to solve all her problems. We've all done it!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:22 am

Yes I certainly would. I was happy with my loss on my first week of No S but this diet kept popping up on my Facebook newsfeed along with all the amazing before and after photos which tempted me.

I do get excitement from starting a new diet too. Buying all the exciting healthy foods in the groceries and meal planning. That soon wore off when my partner was turning his nose up my cooking, I take pride in cooking delicious meals and enjoy cooking, so was not impressed with him not enjoying my cooking.

I didn't even stick to the diet properly anyway as I would just binge on 'healthy' treats at night time due to feeling deprived, therefore gained what I lost in my first week back on No S. So back to being sensible again!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:30 am

You can have two green days this week. Yay!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:19 am

I am going to start checking in daily again to help keep my habits in check.

Yesterday was green

Food was
B- peanut butter and banana on toast
L- carrot, pumpkin, ginger and spinach soup with multigrain toast and butter + a mandarin
T- Mexican mince quesadillas

Also had a hot chocolate in the afternoon with only one teaspoon of hot chocolate powder. Will only do this for a bit until my appetite reduces.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:42 am

What are Mexican mince quesadillas, plz? What is the mince part?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 am

I think you call mince ground beef. I just browned that with cumin, chilli, oregano and paprika, green onions and carrot. Then I spread half a tortilla with avocado, Mexican mince, grated cheese and shredded cabbage, folded the other half of the tortilla over the top and cook in the fry pan, then flip it over until browned on each side. Served with a dollop of Greek yoghurt

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:37 am

Got it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Today was an S day

B-Waffle with Greek yoghurt, passionfruit and banana
L- carrot, pumpkin, ginger and spinach soup, multigrain toast and a pear
T- beef stew and rice with steamed cabbage
S day treats- some chocolate and a few brown rice crackers and a slice of cheese

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:41 am

S day again today, think I did pretty well, I felt like binging this afternoon but made a cup of tea and went and sat outside in the winter sun which was nice.

B- carrot cake overnight oats topped with Greek yoghurt and walnuts
L- homemade minestrone soup with diced pepperoni in it and a pear
T- fish curry on brown rice with steamed broccoli and cauliflower
S treats- 100g of chocolate throughout the day and a hot jam donut

I'm in 2 minds about the brown rice I had for dinner, I want to eat healthy and have more wholegrains, but kind of felt like I missed out with the rest of the family having delicious white rice. I am really trying to eat more wholegrains and whole foods due to my risk of getting type 2 diabetes. I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and was told that I have a 1 in 2 chance of developing type 2 diabetes in the next 10 years. Which is pretty scary considering I have been binging most days for the last 2 months. I am due to get a fasting blood test done but I have been putting it off as I am worried they will tell me I'm pretty diabetic or have diabetes.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:44 pm

It may not be my place to say but having a 1 in 2 chance of developing type 2 diabetes may need more than No S to ward off. I believe in your ability to face down the urges to binge when the payoff is so great.

Consider reframing "deprivation." It's often just the old brain pattern trying to reassert the habit. It's not true deprivation. It thinks it's saving you, but it isn't. If anything, it's depriving you of rewards you probably want more, but only you can say. People who get clear that they want something they can't get when they overeat or eat intense foods find that their concept of deprivation changes. It doesn't suddenly make it easy to resist, but it does make giving up some pleasures more doable without as much suffering. My spiritual teacher (and others) says pain is just a condition; suffering is insisting that things should be different.

Hold out! You'll never be sorry you didn't binge.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Thank you for your reply oolala, it definitely gives me something to think about. Would you say that No S modified to have one S day or S event per week and me inclufing wholegrains and plenty of fresh fruit and veg would work? Or do you think I need to be eating more regularly to help keep diabetes away?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner!

I think you don't need to eat more often to keep diabetes away. Just the opposite. I'm no doctor but it seems the most recent emphasis has been on less frequent eating because the body keeps releasing insulin whenever you eat any carb or protein. Fewer eating events and a decent overnight fast (12 hours seems to be the minimum recommended) are what I'm seeing, but I'm biased!

I would think working toward much less refined starches, including flour products, even whole grain flour products, more fiber, way more "light" veggies than fruit.

If you can stick with one sweet a week, that would be great. It might be a lot to ask that you not allow any snack or seconds, but if those aren't very important to you, there's probably not much reason to impose them on yourself.

The biggest issue for bingers, I believe, is the randomness, the sense of being at the effect of whim, that can so often lead to an escalation of eating. Yet never allowing serendipity seems risky, too.

I might PLAN to have one 3-hour period on an S day in which you let yourself consider having a non-sweet snack, but which you don't choose ahead of time. But if nothing seems necessary at the time, don't have it . See that you aren't denying yourself but just going with the lack of desire. Have your dessert on the other S day.

Make sure you have things at every meal that you really appreciate. Try not to take for granted how wonderful the items on your plate are or to be anxious about it, either.

Please consider posting here and trying not to wait until it feels that things are going wrong and you're panicking.

If No S and habitcal on their own aren't doing it, consider reading and implementing The Diet Trap Solution by Beck and Busis. But don't rush off and get it now. If you can, try to forget about it all except for the time it takes to think about what groceries you want to have on hand to make your meals and getting them. And see what ESLE in your life you can rally around. It doesn't take all day to have a few meals and get in some moderate exercise. (That's associated with lowered cholesterol, too, and good for mood and a lot of stuff. ) It may be almost as important to put oomph into your life when you're not eating and exercising, and that's a lot more hours of the day.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Sorry for the late response, I must have missed your post. Thank you, there is a lot of useful information in there.

Do you think with the high cholesterol I should be cutting back on full fat dairy products. I feel I don't need to as I think cutting out all the binging will be sufficient enough to reduce a lot of my fat intake. I also feel like adding that restriction will just make me feel like I am on another diet.

I think as long as I'm focusing on eating more wholegrains, fruits and veg etc this should work well for me.

I am happy to not have seconds or snacks in the weekend as I'm not big on snacks or seconds, those 2 things usually leads to binging for me. Also allowing myself the one sweet a week will ensure I choose something I really want and that is decent quality.

I'm finding my new job good for sticking to No S as I don't get any breaks apart from a lunch break and don't get opportunities to snack while working as I am busy all day. Just got to stop the night time sweet snacking! Maybe having a hot chocolate for the first week or even month might help stop the sweet night time snacking. I will use my hot chocolate powder made with Stevia and cocoa powder. Also getting rid of the sweet treats in the house should definitely help! Can't snack on them if they aren't there!

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 am

Wheras back in the day the advice for high cholesterol was to eat less of it, I am pretty sure now they have found that dietary cholesterol does not affect your blood cholesterol levels - i.e. cutting back on the cholesterol you eat doesn't really help.

My Mum took part in a study looking at the effect of high-fibre diets on cholesterol, and she both lost weight and lowered her cholesterol by eating a high-fibre diet, and the meals were huge and filling too! She couldn't even eat all the food they told her to eat. As far as I know, the effects of high-fibre were borne out in the study too.

So I reckon high fibre is worth a go, which you're already heading in that direction with the wholegrains, but you can look up specific high fibre foods - the only one I can remember is black beans.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm not a dietician but I would cut WAY back on any refined (low fiber) starches and exercise more for cholesterol issues. I'd probably add fiber and even some good fats.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:23 pm

Yes I've definitely upped my fibre. I usually have a smoothie for breakfast with fruit, oats and chia seeds and some natural protein powder blended into it. I've also started using very grainy bread as well as brown rice and high fibre pasta. I will definitely stick to full fat products as it helps me feel full longer.

I've officially started back on No S now, I feel in the right head space and I've gotten rid of binge trigger foods from my house. I will start tracking on habitcal too. I would like to start walking in my lunch break as well as going to the gym twice a week for classes for my exercise.

I'm considering adding a mod which would be only having sweets on S days such as birthdays, Christmas etc. I find when I have sugar it gives me the taste for it and makes me crave it which triggers binges. I'm not sure if this would be too much and if maybe I should still have 1 Sweet per week.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:37 am

3squaremeals wrote:Yes I've definitely upped my fibre. I usually have a smoothie for breakfast with fruit, oats and chia seeds and some natural protein powder blended into it. I've also started using very grainy bread as well as brown rice and high fibre pasta. I will definitely stick to full fat products as it helps me feel full longer.

I've officially started back on No S now, I feel in the right head space and I've gotten rid of binge trigger foods from my house. I will start tracking on habitcal too. I would like to start walking in my lunch break as well as going to the gym twice a week for classes for my exercise.

I'm considering adding a mod which would be only having sweets on S days such as birthdays, Christmas etc. I find when I have sugar it gives me the taste for it and makes me crave it which triggers binges. I'm not sure if this would be too much and if maybe I should still have 1 Sweet per week.
I think this is a great idea.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:09 am

I used to feel a bit ashamed of aiming at not having binge foods around, but Wansink's research made me feel better. And early humans had to search long and hard for food, so it's better that we do, too. Slim societies don't keep a lot of food around and certainly not sweets.
Last edited by oolala53 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am

I've had 3 green days! I haven't had that many in a row for a while. I definitely think getting rid of the binge foods helped. We have also had chocolate, candy and cake in the work lunch room yesterday and today and I haven't touched one single thing.

My last 3 days of eating have been

Monday
b- smoothie with almond milk, chia seeds, spinach, caramel smoothie powder (no added sugars, all natural) a frozen banana and oats
L- Mexican Lasagna and chopped up orange and strawberries
T- bacon, tomato and spinach risotto and steamed broccoli

Tuesday
B- banana and peanut butter on grainy toast
L- leftover bacon, spinach and tomato risotto with chopped up orange and pineapple
T- spinach pesto and pumpkin pasta with steamed red cabbage

Wednesday (today)
B- smoothie same as Monday
L- leftover spinach and pumpkin pasta and chopped up orange and pineapple
T- roast chicken, purple and orange sweet potato, potato and peas with gravy

I've been making sure I take leftovers for lunch also which helps me not buy fried crap food. I have to say I'm already feeling better for cutting out the sugar and fried foods. I would like to introduce exercise in the next week too.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm back! Looking forward to enjoying 3 nourishing meals per day and treats on the weekend. Despite several attempts at dieting followed by binging my weight has been increasing slowly. I have decided to do No S and quit the dieting.

My first day back

B- granola, unsweetened greek yoghurt, apple and raspberries
L- Avocado on rye toast and a nectarine
T- roast chicken, roast potato, roast carrot and salad

Exercise 25 mins on cross trainer

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Your meals look great!!!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks Tobiasmom!

Another green day for me. Feeling good on day 2, not too hungry between meals. Looking forward to going on a date with my hubby on Friday night to have some yummy dessert. Fridays and Saturdays are my S days. I've also got an event on Saturday evening where there will be drinks and nibbles.

Todays food
B- granola, greek yoghurt, apple and raspberries
L- chicken, beetroot, cucumber and carrot sandwich on dark rye bread plus an apple
T- chilli and lemon fish, brown rice and salad with feta

Exercise 20 min run, 10 min walk, 10 min cross trainer

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi,

Congratulations on the two day streak. Stay focused and stay strong :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am

Hi, again, 3squaremeals. I'm afraid it wasn't DESPITE dieting and bingeing...

Have you also been reading Eat Like a Normal Person? She is big on "nourishing" meals. I get what she means, though there are divergent opinions about what's "nourishing." I think she just means NOT manufactured salt/sugar/fat bombs. I wondered if that's why you used the word "nourishing."
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:02 am

Hi Oolala

Despite was probably the wrong word to use. I just looked up the meaning. Because I certainly have been affected by the dieting and binging.

No I haven't read that book. I guess by focusing on nourishing my body, im trying to take away the focus on mistreating my body and punishing myself. I enjoy healthy foods and they certainly make me feel alot better than processed refined foods.

Another green day today

My food was
B- granola, greek yoghurt, apple and dried cranberries
L- burrito bowl, black rice, lamb, salsa, avocado, beans
T- mexican lasagna and salad

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:03 am

Also thank you gingerpie! :-)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:25 am

A great perspective regarding nourishing.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 am

S day today. Nice and tame, enjoyed Friday night takeout and some dessert.

B- pumpkin seed toast with peanut butter and banana
L- rye toast with cream cheese and smoked salmon and a peach
T- small plate with fries, piece of fried chicken, a few nuggets, potato and gravy and coleslaw
S- shared a piece of lemon meringe pie with cream

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:05 pm

No I haven't read that book. I guess by focusing on nourishing my body, im trying to take away the focus on mistreating my body and punishing myself. I enjoy healthy foods and they certainly make me feel alot better than processed refined foods.
They do indeed! Enjoy the weekend.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:38 am

Thanks gingerpie, you too!

Yesterday was an S day, I was happy with how it went.

My food was

B- wholewheat pancakes, greek yoghurt, strawberry, banana, choc chips and a tiny bit of maple syrup
L- grainy toast with avocado, tomato and bacon plus a peach
T- an assortment of nibbles plus a piece of cake and some lollies

Exercise: Running, cross trainer and some arm weights, donkey kicks and squats

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:53 am

Green day

B- granola, greek yoghurt, apples and raspberries
L- baked beans on pumpkin seed toast and a peach
T- chicken and chorizo pasta

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 am

Another green day

B- granola, greek yoghurt and diced nectarine
L- tuna and cheese on pumpkin seed toast and a green apple
T- homemade burger on a whole wheat bun

I wanted to go to the gym but I have just stopped speaking to my friend who goes to the same gym and she normally goes at night when I go, so kind of avoiding the gym at the moment

My first weigh in tomorrow morning

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am

uh oh re:gym. Lots of great workout videos on youtube, including bodyweight ones. Stopgap.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:56 pm

I wanted to go to the gym but I have just stopped speaking to my friend who goes to the same gym and she normally goes at night when I go, so kind of avoiding the gym at the moment
Is it possible she is also avoiding the gym for the same reason? It'd be a shame if you were missing and a she wasn't even there.
In any case - congratulations on the green.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks ladies. I ended up going to the gym tonight, fully expecting to see her but she wasn't there thankfully, as we had another big argument due to her trying to add my friends on Facebook after we weren't on speaking terms. She was trying to cause more drama. Anyway she threatened that if she ever sees me at the gym she will run my head into the treadmill. Needless to say I'm glad that friendship is over.

Today was green, I wasn't overly happy with my choice of dinner but my father in law brought us takeout as it is his last night staying with us and I only had a kids size plate

B- granola, pear, raspberries and greek yoghurt
L- brown rice sushi and fruit salad
T- small plate with fries, a few nuggets, coleslaw

Exercise was 30 mins on the cross trainer

I also lost 6lbs this week!! But most importantly I'm feeling sane around food again!

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:12 am

Green day yesterday and today. Tonights dinner wasn't the healthiest, mostly nibbles from a Christmas party but no sweets. Just virtual plated. Tomorrow is my S day, not even sure what I want yet. Most likely some chocolate or dessert of some kind.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 am

S day today. Had some cheesecake and a few chocolates. The cheesecake wasn't even that nice.

I'm loving being back on No S. I feel great as well as sane around food, plus the weight is coming off fairly quickly. I had to buy some smaller work pants today too.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Another sane S day yesterday. Had some chocolate and 2 biscuits.

Also ran 25 mins, cross trainer for 10 and some arm weights at the gym.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:37 am

Red today. I kept picking at leftovers after dinner then had a few biscuits and a bit of chocolate. Anyway, ive acknowledged I made a mistake and I will be back on track tomorrow.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:56 am

I hope today was a better day!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:58 am

Not much more you can expect of yourself than to pick up and go on.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:57 am

Thank you Merry and Oolala. Have been back on track. Today is an S day for me which I was reluctant to take considering my red day. But ive had an ice cream cone and some toblerone chocolate and have felt in control of my eating.

From my different attempts at No S I do find that S days kind of makes me go off track a bit on the following days. I don't know whether I should just have one S event such as a dessert once a week or that would cause more issues. I'm finding it extra hard this week due to it being that time of the month too which always makes me crave sweet food like crazy!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:42 pm

I suspect that whether or not curtailing S's will lead to more issues or not is whether or not you feel it's undermining your peace on S days and after, and you're willing to "suffer" through the urges without giving in for the payoff of peace later because you waited for that next sustaining, delicious meal. I think for many of us, regret is more annoying and spirit-defeating than the annoyance of wanting to quell the antsy feeling of wanting those bites (or more). It seems that people who have a hard time going back are a little more likely to benefit from it than people who are relieved to get back to moderation. Paradoxically , I was glad to get back to N days but couldn't stand the idea for a long time of not being able to dive into pancakes with syrup and chocolate, etc. I was HOOOOKED. But it has pretty much worked out. My health in my later years might likely be better if I had seen the light earlier; hindsight is 20/20.

Who knows? I could be completely off. Given adequate time to get perturbed with wild Days without their helping you stay compliant on N days, all you can do is accept the conundrum as is or experiment and see what happens, being compassionate at every step.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks for your reply oolala. I am thinking S days derail me me more than keep me on track. I have struggled to get back to N days since I had my last S day which was 9 days ago. I have craved something sweet everyday since then and have given in and eaten too much chocolate. I find that I when I'm on track with my N days I don't really crave anything on my S days but more just eat something because I'm allowed to. I have decided that I can have some 70% cocoa dark chocolate if I want something on one weekend day as that doesn't set off cravings for me whereas milk chocolate does.

I am slowly learning what triggers my binge eating through trial and error. I find sweets, snacks and seconds all trigger binge eating for me, so I need to lessen the chances where I have opportunities to eat sweets. I will allow myself to enjoy close family and friends birthday cakes, weddings or baby showers and Christmas day. So I am not completely missing out on those treats but I am also not eating sweets every weekend which is derailing my efforts at being successful with No S.

I'm feeling a lot more positive about being able to stick to No S now and after Xmas day tomorrow will work extra hard to get my No S habits back in place. Here's to a full years commitment to No S!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:48 am

Really being able to soberly see the big picture and forge a plan from there can make all the difference. I'm sending you wishes for resolve!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:15 am

Thank you Oolala.

Now we are back from holiday I am fully focused on being back on No S.

I have also been thinking more about not having S days and I don't think it is the best idea. I've decided instead to have S event once a week, which will most likely be a dessert. I think it will give me an incentive to stick with No S during the week without derailing me which having 2 S days in a row does.

Today's food

B- grainy toast with peanut butter and banana
L- grainy toast with avocado, baby spinach and eggs
T- honey mustard chicken, rice and salad

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:57 am

I've been doing good during the day but binging on sugar at night. I have been doing some research into sugar addiction and thinking back to my 15 years of binging and I honestly think my best bet is quitting sugar for good. Not even having it on special occasions. I know it seems drastic but I do so well when I don't have sugar then I go back to having some and I can't control myself, the craving and binging cycle starts again, then I gain what I lost plus more. I can't do moderation with sugar, just like alcoholics can't do moderation with alcohol.

This is going to be a tough week with sugar withdrawals but once it passes the cravings should reduce drastically like they normally do. I love the structure of No S and really enjoy eating my 3 nourishing meals each day. Just gotta kick this sugar addiction. I'm sure there will be times that I crave sugar but I just need to remember how it effects me and how I hate the person I become when I binge on sugar. I want to enjoy my life, I'm only 28 with 3 young boys and I don't want to waste this precious time binging and hating myself, as well as the mood swings the sugar crashes bring.

I'm excited to see where this takes me. I will weigh in tomorrow then do monthly weigh ins from there as I want to focus on nourishing my body and treating it right for once.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 am

Good luck!!

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:42 am

Thank you gingerpie! :-)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Not that my opinion matters but your decision to make this mod sounds valid. It doesn't sound like it's coming from panic or abject shame, but just recognizing the pattern. You're not a rookie! It's the excited beginners who are going to change their eating in 12 weeks who need to step back and gather some data.

It has had a powerful influence on my thinking- less on my behavior yet, but some- to know that it wasn't until 1715 that sugar was imported to the U.S. and that the exponential rise in its consumption has happened in the last 200 years. So, people were doing quite fine with none to a fraction of what we eat of it for most of life on Earth. I may not go commando, but I'd like to think I can take it down to 1822 levels. That's riskier because it's hard to track and allot. I may be joining you later.

So if after careful perusal, you want to go back to a minute ago in time and opt for a sugar-free life, I send you warmest wishes!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 am

Thank you for your support oolala. It is crazy to think that we barely ate any sugar 200 years ago! How everything has changed.

Every time I think to the future of my sugar free lifestyle I feel excitement not dread as I feel that this will give me my life back. I will feel sane around food once and for all, and a side effect of eating 3 nourishing meals a day and no sugar will be weight loss. It will feel great being able to wear clothes I want to instead of covering up my body in long pants in summer time.

I'm not going to go crazy with no sugar, just sensible. For example I will be having fruit, small quantities of dried fruit occasionally and only a tsp at a time of pure maple syrup or honey to sweeten greek yoghurt or as a topping on my whole wheat sugar free pancakes.

My weight is 202.2 pounds and I will weigh in after a month. I will ensure I come on here daily for the first month to help me keep on track with my 3 meals and no sugar.

Todays food

B- grainy toast with peanut butter and homemade chia jam + a glass of full cream milk
L- avocado and eggs on toast + apricot and strawberries
T- fish and salad wraps

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 am

Hi 3squares,
I went sugar free several years ago. It was a definite "3 steps forward 2 steps back" sort of experience but totally worth the effort. I don't remember having mood swings and that sort of thing but maybe my family has a different memory. Hope "day 1" is going well for you.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 pm

The researcher who talked about the phenomenon said it happens because each generation had built on the baseline. It's a rather natural progression, since humans are wired to seek sweet, but one that needs conscious curtailing, since it's so darn available.

I wrote this on some thread but it's so astounding to me, I'll bogart and add it here: in 1822, the average person ingested the equivalent of one Coke's sugar in 5 days. Now the average is the same amount every SEVEN HOURS. The magic of compounding interest. :roll:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Day 2 down, suprisingly no cravings, and I wasn't even tempted by the chocolate our guests brought over. Technically an S day todaytodfor for me. I will be approaching S days differently due to not having sweets ever, I'm not a big snacker as it is another cause of binging for me. But I will use S days occasionally, for example tonight we had guests over for dinner and beforehand we had a plate of cheese, crackers and olives. I had a few and was satisfied with that. I wouldn't sit down to a plate of cheese and crackers if we didn't have guests, but I will allow occasions to be enjoyed such as this.

Food today:

B- unsweetened granola with greek yoghurt, strawberries and granola + a tsp of pure maple syrup

L- grainy toast with feta, spinach and tomato + apricot and peach

S- few cheese, crackers and olives

T- sausage, chicken, small amounts of 3 different salads

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 pm

And you could slightly adjust your dinner plate volume and consider that virtual plating. Slim people do it all the time.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Thanks for the tip, that's a great idea.

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Gingerpie, I've been lucky so far not to have too many withdraw symptoms. I was a bit grumpy on the first day and tired but I'm up to day the beginning of day 3 now and not feeling too bad.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:07 am

Hi there 3squares!

How old are your boys? I can only imagine how that makes you exhausted and makes everything about avoiding sugar harder! :)

I just wanted to share that I also have cut out all sugar; in fact, I've cut out all refined carbohydrates on N Days! So you are not alone. :)

Good luck!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi there automatedeating! My boys are 2, 5 and 7 so they certainly keep me busy. Good on you for cutting out sugar, I too have cut out refined carbohydrates. I'm feeling pretty good so far, also drinking tons of water which is very easy in this Australian heat. How are you feeling with no sugar and refined carbs?

I felt great today, no cravings and I'm feeling less hungry between meals.

Today's food

B- natural peanut butter and homemade chia jam on grainy toast and a banana

L- leftover quinoa salad mixed with chicken + raspberries

T- whole wheat pasta mixed with homemade spinach and basil pesto and cubed roasted pumpkin and a salad

Also went to the gym

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:01 am

Really happy that I didn't binge today. I was really hungry this afternoon due to not having enough protein at lunch so I had a slice of roast beef, and I thought to myself I may as well binge since I snacked. But instead I remained strong and thought no I will really regret it if I do. At least I have learnt to include enough protein at meals.

It was 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit) here today so have definitely had plenty of water too today.

Food today

B- green smoothie with banana and mango + a piece of grainy toast with avocado
L- leftover whole wheat pesto and pumpkin pasta mixed with salad and a handful of raspberries
S- slice of roast beef
T- beef and veg stirfry with brown rice

Running and weights at the gym

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:28 pm

I was really hungry this afternoon due to not having enough protein at lunch so I had a slice of roast beef, and I thought to myself I may as well binge since I snacked. But instead I remained strong and thought no I will really regret it if I do. At least I have learnt to include enough protein at meals.
Congratulations on avoiding WTH!! That is such an important thing to learn and I'm sure you feel much better today such a great success. ðŸ˜

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm

ditto the kudos on stopping at the "repair."
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 pm

My favorite word picture for stopping before we slide off the WTH cliff is "climber's arrest". I imagine digging in with my pickaxe and refusing to let one mistake mean I have to fall all the way off the mountain.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Congratulations on resisting, 3squaremeals.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Auto, I think you should put that on the catchphrase thread.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:15 am

So I took some time away from the page to work on my binge eating. I've been consistent with exercise and I no longer believe I am addicted to sugar. I think my binging was more of a habit. I'm down to 194lbs from 202lbs.

But I am wanting to get back to 3 meals a day as well as a glass of milk at night once I get home from the gym. I will continue to eat nourishing meals but just cut the snacking out, as I am finding it is causing me to eat too many calories, especially as I refuse to use low fat dairy products. Full fat is much more satisfying taste wise and satiety wise. I know the first few days will be tough due to my body being used to 6 meals but I will just drink a big glass of water or coffee if I feel too hungry.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 pm

What an excellent read of yourself to guess that you needed a different strategy for the binging. I needed more time between meals. Go figure!

I like whole milk, too, when I drink it. I never want to get used to skim again.

Warmest wishes on the transition.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:37 pm

Thanks Oolala.

It has been easy to stick to my 3 meals the last few days as my stomach has been playing up making me feel queasy and crampy. My stomach hasn't been quite right for about a month now but has been bad the last few days. I should really go to the doctor and get it checked out. I even tried eliminating dairy for a week but there wasn't any change.

I have to agree whole milk is delicious!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:24 am

Glad to see you back.

Happy for you that your sugar habit is getting reigned in.

And very sorry that you aren't feeling well!

PS My "whole" family is a "whole"-fat dairy clan! :wink:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:19 am

Thank you automated eating. Whole fat dairy is certainly great, tastes amazing and makes you feel fuller too!

My food today was

B- smoothie with almond milk, low sugar protein powder, frozen banana, chia seeds and oats
L- chickpea and veg patty in a wrap with salad and cheese + a plum
T- pumpkin, spinach and ricotta cannelloni

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 am

So I have decided to stop focusing too much on trying to eat super healthy and only wholegrains, brown rice, natural sugar etc as it is contributing too much to the diet head mentality. I want to enjoy my food, not eat it because it will help me lose weight. I enjoy eating white rice and pasta don't want to force myself to eat wholegrains because I feel I have to. I feel like a weight has been lifted already just knowing I can eat food I enjoy. I enjoyed dinner last night using regular tortillas instead of whole wheat and the delicious white greek flatbread I had tonight.

Todays food was
B- toast with cream cheese and tomato
L- egg and salad wrap and a pear
T- greek flatbread with lamb kofta, tzatziki, cucumber, tomato and red onion

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 pm

That's the kind of thing I found was like circling the airport, which I think was a good holding pattern. Over a long period of time, my eating has become pretty darn "whole," but if I had told myself in the beginning I had to eat like this, in the amounts I do now, the plan would likely have fizzled. I"ve know of a few here who-more power to 'em- successfully went straight not only single plates, but single servings (you know, 3 oz .meat, about a half a cup of rice, a vegetable) right away and it stuck. That would have been a cage I wanted to chew (ha ha) my way out of!

So, what are you having with your flatbread today? 8)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23