No S'ing since 2006

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dietlife

No S'ing since 2006

Post by Dietlife » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Hello,
I posted a short update on the regular board, but then thought it might be better to just post here instead.

I started the No S diet in 2006. You can actually find my posts from way back then. Here were my stats in 2006:
height: 5'5
weight: 150

I had a long history of being a chubby kid, followed by some eating disorder behavior and constant diet/gain cycle. I never got over the 150 range, unless I was pregnant (I gained a good 40 pounds with each pregnancy, but then lost it after). I tried Weight Watchers, Scarsdale, starvation, and Atkins. I always would give up and go back to my old way of eating--which wasn't a ton of food but I did like sweets.

When I finally started the No S diet in 2006, I was relieved that it seemed like it fixed my disordered way of starving/going off the diet. I'll admit I was a little skeptical, as I had been dieting since I was in the 3rd grade.

The truth is, I still am on this diet, but that is a good thing. It gave me the rules to live by that were different than the old yo-yo diets of the past.

I ended up losing 30 pounds on this new way of eating. My weight loss was very slow. Most weeks I lost 1 pound or just a .5 pound, especially after the first year. I stayed stable with my weight typically in the range of 120-125 for 10 years. After getting a desk job a few years ago, I found I typically was in the 125-128 range. I joined a gym and usually go about 3 times a week (elliptical for an hour each time) but haven't lost since then. Actually, I am settled in around 130, which is not necessarily overweight for my height, but I don't love it.

This may be due to a few things:
1. My age-I will be 53 this year.
2. Wine--I tend to drink one or two glasses each night while I cook. I am trying to just do that on S days as an experiment this week.
3. My thyroid hasn't been right lately. It keeps testing into hypothyroid levels, then when we test again it is close to normal. So far no meds. This has been like this for a few years.

Still, I see myself as a "somewhat" success story, because I have taken a disordered way of eating and stuck to a plan that feeds me what I need, and then lets me have some treats on the weekends. People at my work know I don't eat sweets or snacks during the week. I always tell them I lost 30 pounds 10 years ago by doing this, and that is why I stick with it. This is what maintenance looks like, and if I just gave up doing it I have no doubt I would gain weight quickly. I don't want that for many reasons. I use to have back pain and heart palpitations when I was heavier, and no longer do. I am not perfect but am doing the best I can for my health.
Lisa

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 pm

Welcome back, what a great long term success story!

I’m also a somewhat long term NoSer (only 5 years though). I had the same experience recently of a few “creeping†pounds. Dropping weekday alcohol and being a little less generous at dinner did the trick, so here’s hoping that curbing the wines will work for you too! I think part of it is the energy in the drinks themselves and the other half is that after a drink or two I’m more likely to “indulge†myself with nibbles or large serves.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Only in the NoS world would someone say they had been following it for "only" five years! :) Congrats to you both.

jenji

Post by jenji » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 pm

I liked reading your story. How is the experiment of less drinking going?
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 am

DaveMc wrote:Only in the NoS world would someone say they had been following it for "only" five years! :) Congrats to you both.
indeed! :)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Jonathanzz

Post by Jonathanzz » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:48 am

This topic is most useful.

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Tue May 01, 2018 3:25 pm

It is still amazing that you have done this for so long, well done to you :D