flyingpig checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

flyingpig

flyingpig checkin

Post by flyingpig » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, but not noS. I had quite a good streak last year when I tried it out for lent and got almost to Easter before a holiday and a load of non-weekend S days threw me off the wagon.

I started again on the first of January and it's gone really well so far:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 17 18 19 :) :)
22 23 24 25 26 :) :)
29 30

Good habits I seem to have managed so far are:
- not taking any money into work so I can't stop at the shop on the way home to buy snacks
- shopping after dinner
-planning meals and sticking to the plan, but with a degree of flexibility if I fancy something else (before it has been either rigid to the plan or a compete free for all)

I see problems coming up though, so if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.
- Do I just accept crazy s days? If so for how long? The first weekend was OK, but this weekend I went to a party that had a buffet and I ate a lot. Buffets are awful for me... I like the idea of having one S per weekend day but I don't want to start something unsustainable.
- This week has a lot of potential S days coming up. It's my birthday on Friday, but I'm having a birthday dinner at my parents' on Thursday. I'm a bit worried that four S days in a row will throw me off habit completely. But I also really want birthday cake... (my parents will make me one and I'll also bring one into work on friday). Should I maybe un-S Sunday?

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Another green day :)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 18 19 :) :)
22 23 24 25 26 :) :)
29 30

And my special day dilemma has been solved - all my birthday special eating is now going to happen on Friday. So I just have to manage to make cake tomorrow evening without eating any of it!

osoniye

Re: flyingpig checkin

Post by osoniye » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:59 am

flyingpig wrote:The first weekend was OK, but this weekend I went to a party that had a buffet and I ate a lot. Buffets are awful for me...
I know, aren't they the worst?! Sometimes I try just taking one plate full, but usually with the cost of them, I try to limit them to real S days, as I hate not to "get my money's worth", or not to fully "enjoy" a special occasion. They are a real trap!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

nettee

Post by nettee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:00 am

I found it helpful to have S events rather than whole days. The cake on Friday and your parent's dinner can be separated from the rest of Thursday and Friday.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:13 am

This is a great idea, Nette. I will be useful next week, I have a special dinner on Friday, a meal on Saturday and another on Sunday. Surely I will continue with my plan and I will do only those special meals.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 am

I've accepted fairly crazy S days for now and I will until I feel that the N day habits are ingrained and making further efforts to limit or control foods won't result in a rebound of N day fails. How long that takes might be different for everyone - I think I will probably give it a month or so and see how I go.

I'm also an S 'event' proponent for special occasions. I'm going to my parents next week for Burns Night, where we always have the traditional Scottish pudding of cranachan. There's no need for the entire day to be a free for all, but I will allow myself that dessert!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:50 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:18 :) :) :)
:mrgreen: 23 24 25 26 :) :)
29 30

So, my first red happened. I was doing well, didn't take any biscuits (cookies to all the Americans) offered at a work meeting, even though I had to sit staring at them for an hour. But then I baked brownies and lemon drizzle to take to work for my birthday and ate plenty of batter. :shock: I was tempted to still count it as green because I didn't eat any cake once it was baked (until the next day, which was my birthday and a planned S day) and I do think a little tasting while cooking/baking is necessary, but probably didn't need to taste that much! And I think it'll be helpful to prove to myself I can have a red day and carry on.

The red was followed by my birthday (Friday) and the weekend. All three days were very cake fuelled... but they are "allowed" to be and I have managed a green day no problem today so I'm counting that as a win.

And thanks for the advice everyone. Milliem - I think that's a good move for me too. Enjoy your cranachan (off to Google what that is!)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:30 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :) :) :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 26 :) :)
29 30

Another couple of green days.
Had a very strange experience the other day, dreamt of eating chocolate. It was such a vivid dream I genuinely thought I'd had a red day and it was only when I tried to work out when I'd eaten this chocolate that I realised I'd been dreaming :lol:

In related news I just found a leftover bar of birthday chocolate in my work bag. But I managed to put it in the cupboard without eating any of it. :o A treat to look forward to on Saturday :D

Right, off to make my roast veg and couscous dinner

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 pm

29 30

So, something interesting has happened. It is Sunday, an S day. I had a big-ish breakfast at about half eight. It is now nearly two pm and I'm still not really hungry. I didn't even look for or actually think about the biscuits after church. This doesn't happen so that's good :D

I also had a moderate S day yesterday, just a small fancy chocolate (from a selection box I got for my birthday) around 11am, nibbled some dinner while I was cooking it, and then finished off the bar of chocolate I found in my bag earlier this week in the evening (think it was about eight squares of oreo dairy milk).

After a very quick initial couple of kilos being lost the first week, weight loss has been slow (a bit frustrating-ly so), but I keep telling myself that the main aim is not to loose weight, but to have much more sensible habits. And also I managed to not put on weight over my birthday so that's good.

I have a holiday coming up in a couple of weeks that is slightly stressing me out though. I'm going skiing with a friend. I've never been skiing before and I've never been on holiday with this friend before. I have no idea if doing no-S while away will be achievable...

What do other people do about holidays?

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Small and/or carby breakfasts give me the munchies, so I was super surprised when almost everyone in the poll on the general forum voted for small morning meals! I sometimes make my breakfasts two-course (oatmeal + sandwiches, for example) and they really keep me full and satisfied for pretty much the rest of the day.
As for your holidays, perhaps give yourself permission to eat only snacks/sweets that are local and unique to the location? It requires a fair bit of honesty on your part, but keeps you from feeling deprived. That's what I was doing during my travels. Good luck!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:14 pm

You may be surprised how well you can fit No S into the holiday. If people are being snacky, I sip a civilized coffee or maybe a hot chocolate (pushing it) as a nod to the environs. For meals, I really savor the non-sweet but delicious foods, but might keep them to a little more than half my plate since the foods are often so dense or refined. (That might be asking a lot for you as a beginner, especially if you're expending a lot of energy.) What I like to do is think of some urban French woman going skiing. Does she use it as an excuse to go overboard on food or even drink? Mais non! Will she have a good time? Bien sur! You can, too.

Hmm I wonder if testing batter is really necessary. Have you had them before?8) It can be a trap the old habit brain sets up to get those nice concentrated foods that revved up the circuits so many times before. It will make any excuse!

Really good job on the cookies at the meeting and putting the food away. This will become the norm and you will wonder why everyone else is ruining their appetite when the really good stuff is coming.

I have to admit I always wince when people get all excited about their early weight loss. It's almost impossible to see this without such excitement because the hope is not far behind, and the nearly inevitable disappointment ensues when it doesn't. In fact, NO weight loss has a chance of being real loss until it's been sustained for several weeks. It is very unlikely most people will eat the proverbial 500 calories less per day that leads to that true pound of fat loss they've got figured in their minds. Yes, they are cutting out the daily S's but likely eating a bit more at meals. Water loss isn't actually so bad because it does meant there's fewer carbs being processed. Oh, I'm getting too technical. All part of the transition. Remember, it takes most of those diet successes to get really established in their new weight 2-5 years (and there's a 25% relapse even then), and it's just about always on their minds. So many think even at year that it's all in place only to go on to have that body desire to get that food back take over because they get a little lax and are so unused to managing more food and actually choosing to eat even less.

Anyway, try to pretend you're in a different country, enjoying the food but not lasering in on it and missing the rest of the trip. Life in between is often what we've been missing out on, or not creating. Cultivate that habit, too.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 pm

The breakfast wasn't that big (two rashers of bacon, one egg and a slice of toast), but I did drink a whole pot of tea with it so maybe that's the key. I'm now hungry again only three hours after having lunch, so who knows... I think I'll just stop over thinking it...

As for weight loss - I'm trying not to think about it too much. I weigh myself 3 or 4 times a week but only log it if it's lower... not sure this is the best strategy, but it seems reasonably motivating so far.

For the skiing holiday, I'll try channeling my inner sophisticated french woman (though she must be buried very deep!). I have heard skiing is quite hard work, so I'm a little worried I'll end up using that as an excuse... at the moment I'm thinking I'll look at any green days in that week as a bonus and also make sure I go back to green as soon as I come back. Also at least I'll be active. It's two weeks from now so I hope my habits will be starting to be more ingrained by then.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:23 am

You may hit a stretch in which the weight is never lower and get discouraged.

I'm not sure why I weighed in the beginning because sanity was what I was ogoing for, but I used a technique from when I was on the Carbohydrate Addicts diet. I weighed and record every day and averaged it once a week. That's the way scientists tend to measure things. You'll see a trend. There are sites online (or used to be) where you can record each day and the site will graph the numbers. You have to be patient to get anough data to really see what the effects are.

An alernative I suggest is weighing yourself only once every 21-day streak.

Or not at ll for 12 weeks. But be ultra strict about N day compliance.

In the end, the habit will outweigh (no pun intended) the weight loss. As Reinhard says, don't have an ideal weight. Practice ideal habits and land where you will.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 pm

:mrgreen: 30 31

Just realised there are 31 days in January... oops!

Very moderate weekend - just two little chocolates on Sunday (one mid-afternoon, one after dinner), now back to the green.

I use the fitbit app to log my weight and it averages my weight, so perhaps I should just log every day. Because you are right, oolala, if my weight doesn't go down for a bit I will get discouraged.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:58 pm

That is an astounding January! Congrats.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:53 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And January is done.
Only one red and I've lost 3kg.

Not bad. Even if today's dinner was chicken nuggets and chips from McDonald's on the way home. But it still counts as green. I don't really like fast food that much, but I was tired, grumpy, had to sit in traffic and really didn't want to do a any washing up. I would prefer not to eat my feelings, but one fast food meal in a month is not a big deal... Plus it means I can have my leftover veggie chilli tomorrow.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 pm

Exactly. Curtailing the fast food is a personal decision. We all know it's got downsides, but so does reining in too soon. Wean, wean, wean!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:22 pm

I'm going to try a different layout for February. I've logged food before with myfitnesspal, but that's way too much hassle to be sustainable. However I like looking back over what I've eaten, so I'm just going to write it down here:

1st Feb: green

Breakfast: porridge with blueberries
Lunch: cheese and spinach sandwich with cucumber, red pepper and grapes
Dinner: vegetable chilli and brown rice

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm

FP, meant to give you props for your weight loss but even more for your great month!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16 am

Well done!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:55 pm

2nd Feb: green

Breakfast: two fried eggs, two slices of toast, a banana and blueberries
Lunch: cheese and spinach sandwich, red pepper, cucumber, grapes
Dinner: four fish fingers, two potatoes (sliced and fried), baked beans, a mountain of cabbage and sweetcorn

Quite a hungry day, it would seem. I had to have dinner early (about 5:30) as I am at a kids camp reunion tonight and tomorrow and I had to eat before I left. Luckily no snacks have been offered, I didn't take any hot chocolate and actually I'm not that hungry so avoided that potential slide into red. And tomorrow I can take any snack I'm offered guilt-free :lol:

And thanks everyone for the nice messages- good to be encouraged

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Sounds like a good day, Flying! I too had dinner early today. It often seems to work out that way. But unlike you, I did end up having a hot chocolate!

Hope you have a great weekend.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:48 pm

3rd February: a very S Saturday

Breakfast: bacon sandwich, chocolate cereal
Snack: flapjack
Lunch: Ham salad sandwich, crisps (2 bags),chocolate biscuit
Snack: chocolate chip shortbread and hot chocolate
Dinner: sausage casserole and pasta, apple crumble and custard
Snack: ham salad sandwich

Well that was a lot of typing! Good job I don't have someone cooking for me and putting out snacks at regular intervals every day! We even sung to the crumble (it's a weird camp tradition), so I definitely had to have some. I don't regret that one bit.
That last sandwich was a step too far but it was going to be thrown in the bin... I also didn't realise there was tea available when I had hot chocolate. I would have preferred tea, just needed something to warm me up after standing out in the cold rain watching teenagers climb crates...

In summary, I find it much easier to eat sensibly when I am the only person in control of what food is available. Something to work on...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:58 pm

4th February: another S-filled Sunday

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with much toast followed by more toast with jam
Snack: chocolate cake and a biscuit
Lunch: cheese and bacon burger, chips, salad followed by a massive sundae. So good. So s.

No dinner because, well, see above.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:36 pm

flyingpig wrote: So good. So s.

No dinner because, well, see above.
Love 'em both.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:01 pm

5th February: green

Breakfast: porridge with peanut butter, banana and cinnamon
Lunch: tuna roll, red pepper, grapes, blueberries
Dinner: veg curry (green lentils, coconut milk, tomatoes, loads of random veg) and naan bread

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm

6th February: green

Breakfast: porridge with banana and peanut butter
Lunch: cheese and tomato sandwich, yellow pepper, grapes, blueberries
Dinner: "spicy" (hmm) chicken pasta, baked ready salted crisps, strawberry and banana smoothie

Technically dinner never made it onto a plate as I got a little hangry running pre-holiday errands (well, mostly sitting in traffic) and bought a meal deal in the supermarket. And then tried to eat it in the car. Failed with the pasta because it didn't come with a fork... Must confess a few bits of pasta were hand eaten :roll:

On the plus side, it could have been a packet of biscuits. Or a bar of chocolate. Or both, as well as the meal deal. Anyway, this is why I avoid shops on the way home from work, but I had to go get holiday money before it closed for the day. Oh well, a green is a green.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Green is green exactly. It's not like we live on farms and are close to the house for all meals.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Well to be honest I got home only about two minutes after I normally do, but I thought I would be stuck longer as the traffic going the other way was awful. And I'd left work early (to get to the shops) so I guess my body thinks leaving work is time to eat (even if I leave work an hour or two earlier)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

All in the mix.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:15 pm

7th Feb: green

Breakfast: two eggs, one slice of bread, one slice of cheese
Lunch: chorizo and butterbean soup, two slices of toast, grapes
Dinner: veggie chilli and brown rice

I really really wanted to stop for some chocolate on the way home, but I resisted. I don't even know why- I've had an alright day, no work to do this evening, but I am counting down the days till the weekend today. Luckily it's very cold (hence the switch from sandwich to soup at lunch), so I'm not tempted to walk to the shop now!

In case anyone is curious, my meals are at pretty regular times:
Breakfast is between 6 and 7am (usually closer to 6)
Lunch is at 12:45/1pm
Dinner is between 6 and 7pm
I've taken to posting this update straight after I've eaten dinner so that I'm committed to the green day and cant eat any thing else. We'll see how that works out...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:18 pm

8th February: green

Breakfast: one egg omlette, two slices of cheese, spinach, one slice of toast
Lunch: chorizo and butterbean soup, two slices of toast, grapes
Dinner: four fish fingers, small serving of macaroni, random leftover parsley sauce, mount Everest of veg (most of a cabbage, an onion, a yellow pepper, sweetcorn, peas, a tomato)

So I'm in empty the fridge mode. And the fridge mostly contains veg. The mass of veg nearly didn't fit on the plate, but I balanced it. Got quite bored of eating cabbage towards the end of dinner, but vitamins ahoy.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 pm

9th February: green

Breakfast: porridge with blueberries
Lunch: cheese salad sandwich and grapes
Dinner: jacket potato, baked beans and cheese, a banana

Operation "eat all the food" moved on to fruit and dairy today. Technically the banana didn't go on the plate because it would have got all bean-y, but it would have fitted. Also my "plate" at lunch time is actually a lunch box, it always is, but I don't think big lunches are really my problem. I'm a teacher- I don't have time for a big lunch!

And now it is the holidays! I leave late tonight. Travelling overnight may mess my food up a bit, but not like I do it a lot. And we'll only be the car a couple of hours before it becomes Saturday :D Not sure how much internet/time/inclination I'll have to update while away, so maybe see you in a week and a bit!

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Enjoy your holiday! Looks like you've had a good NoS week :)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 pm

So there is some signal here, so may as well post rather than forget...

10th February: A traveling S Saturday

Breakfast: croissant and hot chocolate
Snacks: couple of mint humbugs, a toffee mint, a bag of pizza flavoured crisps
Lunch: baguette (just by itself... It was fresh and delicious, and about 4:30/5pm)
Snack: plain crisps
Dinner: spaghetti bolognese

Not bad considering my body clock is really confused as I slept in a car, had to wake up to go on a ferry at 2am and then carried on sleeping in a car till about midday. I think it'll be reasonably easy to stay quite green this week, only issue might be sweet breakfasts and if I get really hungry skiing.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm not sure how long I'll have the oomph to keep recording what I eat whole on holiday, but I'm hoping it'll keep me reasonably on track.

11th February: A reasonably controlled (both on the slopes and food-wise) first day skiing Sunday

Breakfast: 2 chocolate chip madeleines, one small bowl of cereal
Lunch: ham baguette, handful of crisps, chunk of cheese
Snack: hot choc, banana, another madeleine
Dinner: sausages, mashed potato, broccoli and carrots
Snack: one gummy snake

I think I may have to keep the banana (or something) all week as my first skiing experience left me rather shaky and in need of something. Could probably replace hot choc with tea and the madelines with bread though!
Last edited by flyingpig on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Sounds like you having an adventurous vacation! Yay for you!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm

12th February: sort of green

Breakfast: cereal, baguette and peanut butter
Lunch: ham and cheese baguette, cereal bar
Dinner: pasta with sausage/bacon/veg sauce

The reason it's sort of is that the cereal bar was sort of sweet and also eaten a couple of hours after the sandwich. It was also not my cereal bar, because that fell out of my pocket, so my friend gave me her's. However I'm going to count it as green because I'd told myself if I needed something mid-skiing I'd allow it, and apparently going up lifts makes me very shaky! I'm very scared most of the time when on skis, and adrenaline does weird things to me, so if a cereal bar stops me shaking and means I can make it down a slope, I'll have that as a mod this week.

I also had tea instead of hot chocolate and no snacks before dinner when offered so happy to count it as green.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

Flying, you are so brave! I’m the only person among my friends who’s never been skiing. I would be just like you, filled with adrenaline and prone to weird symptoms, all of which would be soothed by food. Sounds like you’re doing well! But this is a special holiday...you’d expect to have a couple of extra S days, I would have thought. Have a great time!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm

13th February: Let's call it an S Event day

Breakfast: bread and salami, cereal
Lunch: ham and cheese baguette, cereal bar
Dinner: tartiflette (potato, bacon, onion and all the cheese) followed by tarte tatin (upside down apple tart, served on fire)

So pretty green all day, save the aforementioned cereal bar mod. Working well for me though, I can bribe myself to ski more with it.
Because it turns out I am not getting any braver (sorry to disappoint you, Octavia, I'm actually a massive wimp!), in fact I'm more scared of skiing than I was at the start of the week. So saying to myself "do three laps of the beginners area and you can have a sandwich" seems to work to get me going, and then I did my last three knowing that I could have my cereal bar at the end. Sticking to tea in cafes and no pre-dinner nibbles, so that's good.

Decided that dinner out would count as an s-event, which was definitely a good choice as I got to have a flaming dessert. A flaming delicious dessert!

Think tomorrow will be an s day too as we've decided to postpone pancake day till then (the meal out was booked before we realised it was pancake day!).

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm

14th February: Green

Breakfast: cereal
Lunch: ham/salami and cheese sandwich, handful of crisps, half a banana
Dinner: chilli con carne with rice

I wimped out of skiing today and went for a walk instead, so no excuse for any S-es. Also there was a miscommunication about pancakes so they didn't happen. Also also there was a very long gap between lunch and dinner (about nine hours), I nearly gave in but once I'd lasted seven hours, what was another two? It's kind of freeing for a holiday not to be all about what's going to be eaten next.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 pm

So true about holidays and food focus. How about filling up on different activities, new scenes (probably beautiful), people watching, the company?

And a flaming dessert! Got to have my end-of-lunch coffee; I'm feeling a tug of snackiness after reading that. And all the pancake stuff. When I've been feeling at risk this week, I've been telling myself I can go out for a pancake breakfast- no syrup, though- the next day. Then I don't want pancakes in the morning. And they do tend to set me off, so just as well.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:05 pm

15th February: definitely an s day

Breakfast: cereal
Lunch: ham and cheese sandwich
Snack: crisps
Dinner: steak, veg, potato dauphinoise followed by profiteroles with cream and chocolate sauce

So today was going pretty well, I was debating to myself whether vin chaud (mulled wine) counted as an S, but apart from that had been very green. Didn't even need the cereal bar as I got too scared of the chair lift to go it by myself so I only did two loops of the green ski run, which definitely does not justify extra snacks (even though it was a long run, so probably the furthest I've ever skiied).

But then the pre-dinner snacks came out, and I thought "well I'm on holiday, and I've done so well so far" and "we're going out for dinner, I might want pudding so may as well go wild now" and my favourite rather flawed reasoning, "if you eat some crisps now, it'll definitely be an s-day so you won't have to decide about the mulled wine." Not too impressed by my own thinking, but not going to get too miserable about it. Perhaps it should be a red, but I did originally say any green days this week would be a bonus, anything else an s-day.
Last edited by flyingpig on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:07 pm

And the flaming dessert was amazing. Could really taste the brandy she'd doused it in to get it burning though. Today there was flaming meat for main (not for me, a couple of the guys I'm on holiday with ordered it), and then one of them specially requested that his Apple tart was on fire, even though that wasn't on the menu. Food that's on fire is just that much more exciting!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:48 pm

WTH is typical and why most people who even start a diet quit within a couple of weeks. You are so smart to see the failures as adjustment.

:idea:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:10 am

"if you eat some crisps now, it'll definitely be an s-day so you won't have to decide about the mulled wine."

Ha! I love this "flawed reasoning" as you put it.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:47 am

16th February: holiday S-day

Breakfast: chocolate chip madeleine, some other kind of chocolate chip pastry
Lunch: a small pastry filled with chorizo and cheese followed (an hour or so later) by a salted caramel crepe and hot chocolate
Dinner: ham and mushroom pizza

As soon as there was nothing but cake left for breakfast I knew it was going to be an s-day. It was rainy and horrible so we went into town instead of skiing, and there wasn't much to do except eat :? At least we also did a lot of walking (17000 steps) and there wasn't much snacking. Back to normality today :(

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Care to share the recipe for the salted caramel crepe? Sounds divine!

EDIT: Aw schucks, didn't realise you were still on vacation :oops: But you've given me an idea for an S-day treat for sure. Enjoy your time off!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:45 pm

I'll say you did a lot of walking..and in the rain! But, dang, when are you going to be there again?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:53 am

17th February: traveling with leftovers S-day

Breakfast: chocolate chip pastry thing, pain au chocolat
Lunch: baguette with cheese and a slice of salami
Snack: hot chocolate and a cereal bar, bag of popcorn
Dinner: chips

That was an extremely carby day. But there's not many days I intend to spend 18 hours traveling in (we were pushed to a later ferry so travel time was extra long).

Yeah salted caramel crepe was from a creperie. But basically make a crepe, drizzle salted caramel sauce all over it and there you go.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 pm

18th February: an almost green s-day

Breakfast: beans on toast
Lunch: massive salad (lettuce, carrot, cucumber, tomato, red pepper, sweetcorn) and a trout fillet followed by a small chocolate
Dinner: a banana and a teaspoon of peanut butter

I got up late, so breakfast was really brunch and lunch was at 4pm, hence the not real dinner. Also upped my vegetable intake, which was somewhat lacking in the last few days.
I actually find it hard to believe that I still have chocolates from my birthday left a month later. It's also pretty amazing that I lost weight while on holiday (almost a kilo down this morning compared to the 7th Feb).. I'm just waiting for this to become tricky because it's all going a bit too smoothly at the mo...

Now if only I could develop such good exercise habits so quickly... That will be the next step (hopefully literally).

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:30 pm

19th February: back to work green

Breakfast: porridge with banana, peanut butter and all spice
Lunch: cheese, lettuce and cucumber sandwich, red pepper, grapes
Dinner: macaroni, whole can of tuna, peas, sweetcorn, cheese, mayo

Urgh, back to work! Hence the "quick what can I throw in a bowl" dinner before I grump ate any snacks. And posting now (at 6:30pm) in an attempt to stop eating now. Still got some work to do and laundry to sort. Bleh. Cups of tea will have to get me through!

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:34 pm

First day back at work is always tough! Hope you have a good evening :)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:15 pm

20th February: reluctant green

Breakfast: one slice of toast, one egg (scrambled), one banana, one handful of blueberries
Lunch: cheese, lettuce and cucumber sandwich, cherry tomatoes, grapes
Dinner: three bean wrap, bag of crisps, berry smoothie

Well I shouldn't have been so smug on Sunday. Going back to work is really making me long for chocolate. And has made me very un-mindful about how I'm eating. Breakfast was fine (actually been good at getting up and going these past few days), but lunch I ate alone, quickly, before getting on with work, rather then go to the staffroom and enjoy eating and a break and dinner I grabbed at the petrol station and started eating in the car rather than wait the whole five minutes till I'd got home and further ten mins to heat something up...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:52 pm

It's been only a little over a month since you've been back, right? Reinhard didn't hash over the details of his first years on No S, but since he's emphasized that this about averaging things over hundreds and hundreds of plates, I think what happens on the first few days back from a break is small in the grand scheme. I think Reinhard's "optimized oatmeal" default at work isn't something he felt he needed to sit in the staff room and share the time eating with others. I, too, prefer to take my time and savor, but a day or two of being rushed doesn't have to derail me. (I kinda wish I had worked on that a little sooner.) Eating in the car? Probably going to happen sometimes, too. Just being able to look back and see that it would have been a matter of only another 15 minutes might help you coach yourself through those 15 minutes on a day in the future. And so what if it takes a few times to make it happen? Maybe next time, you'll have eaten only a few bites before you get the rest of the food in the house to spread on a plate to enjoy. And another time, you'll be thinking of what great food you have in the house that you'll enjoy soon as you ignore the petrol station food. Curse those petrol stations!

Did you read my post one day about seeing an ex-colleague who had retired to Italy? He came to visit and had lost about 15 pounds just because there are so many fewer places to buy food in Italy. No food in gas stations or lots of other places. They eat at meals, in meal situations! He made no other changes. Lucky to have the environment support sanity. We just have to slog on anyway and make our own "Italy" where we are.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:27 pm

21st February: green

Breakfast: one slice of toast, one egg (fried), one banana, one handful of blueberries
Lunch: cheese and cucumber sandwich, cherry tomatoes, grapes
Dinner: falafel, salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, red pepper, carrot), mayo, pitta bread

Thanks for the encouraging messages. They clearly worked because today I was so excited about falafel I finally made them. I bought the pittas months ago and they've stayed in the freezer because it just seemed too much hassle. I made four portions worth so I should really stop telling myself that is not worth cooking on a work night because an hour cooking today means delicious falafel four times!
I also took the chocolate bar a girl in my class gave me (I can't say no to a ten year old when they're so excited about sharing treats for their birthday) and stashed it in my bag, rather than eat it.
Think I'm rather cheerier about life now I'm over the middle of the week.

Oh, and oola, I've been to Italy. It definitely didn't have that effect on me, but perhaps because I saw it as a challenge to see how much gelato I could consume in a week...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm

22nd February: I was tempted, but I stayed green

Breakfast: one egg (scrambled) and one slice of cheese in one mini wrap
Lunch: two mini wraps filled with falafel, lettuce, cucumber, carrot, tomato and red pepper
Dinner: veg chilli, both ends of a loaf of bread

Almost Friday. Which is basically Saturday. Today I had to go to a meeting after school (peak hungry time) and sit right in front of the box of biscuits throughout. And then I stopped off at the shop on the way home and only came out with a loaf of bread and a (very reduced - only 33p!) bunch of flowers. And made it the whole three minutes home to defrost my chilli. Yay!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:09 am

The whole three minutes! But really, it would have been so easy to start tearing into the bread. I used to buy a garlic whole wheat artisan loaf sometimes and fail by eating about half of it on the way home. More than three minutes but less than fifteen. :shock:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 pm

23rd February: green

Breakfast: porridge with blueberries, banana
Lunch: cheese salad sandwich, a carrot, grapes
Dinner: fish fingers, fried potatoes, baked beans

It's Friday and so cold outside that I really wanted fish and chips. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet and waistline), so did everyone else so there was nowhere to park outside the fish and chip shop. I improvised with what I had in the freezer/cupboard instead. Much cheaper. Probably not much healthier, quite a lot of oil used, but the portion was probably smaller.

So excited for Saturday.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 pm

Five weeks in. All in due time.

I used to determine what food I was going to go off my plan (before NO S) with by what items that I considered very, very good were available at discount stores. "Well, if this is available, I'll get it and eat it." Once in awhile, they'd have it but the line was so long that I saw how driven I was being to stand in a long line for one thing. Even then, it took a lot of buying it anyway before I would put the stuff down and walk away. And finally not pick it up in the first place.

Thank goodness for long lines! I'd say just about anything you ate at home was better than using the quick stop for "high reward" food.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm actually eight weeks in... But I guess the point still stands.

24th February: sunny s-day

Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast
Snack: small (treat size) chocolate bar
Lunch: a couple of carrot sticks and slices of pepper, lots of hummus, bowl of soup, slice of bread, bit of cheese, followed by one chocolate truffle
Dinner: Rice, green pepper, onion, a mackerel fillet, followed by one small chocolate

Considering how much I was looking forward to this S-day, I've been really quite restrained. Lunch was a bit nibbly as I was at my parents', and that's how they do meals (everything laid out on the table to take what you want), but I could have fitted everything on one plate if needed. I did have a few small chocolates today, but other S opportunities were not taken. I considered going to the bakery for breakfast but I wasn't sure what time it opened, so instead of walking there and finding it closed, I just stuck to a normal breakfast. I was offered second helpings of soup and didn't want any. My brother and my dad had ice-cream after lunch, I was happy with my truffle. I went for a walk in the afternoon, and we tried to go for tea/cake after but the cafe was closing. I then went shopping on my way home from the walk and made sensible choices. I genuinely considered having either microwave cake or pancakes for dinner, but my mackerel was really delicious so I'm glad I opted for that instead.

So it seems like my mindset/appetite/habits are starting to change even on s-days. Let's see how tomorrow goes...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:45 am

I just figured from your first post on Jan. 16, but I realize now you had already been at it. And you are being able to tap into your previous history. Sounds like things are moving nicely.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:38 pm

Well, oola, what's three weeks in the grand scheme, eh? :P

25th February: Still sunny S-day Sunday

Breakfast: porridge with blueberries, a banana
Lunch: cheese sandwich
Afternoon Tea: cherry and almond scone with clotted cream and raspberry jam
Dinner: small serving of fish pie, green beans

So I treated myself to a cream tea today. The scone was delicious, and I did enjoy it but i started to feel really full about halfway through. I still ate it all, which was possibly a mistake because I have felt a bit queasy since. The fish pie was a bit of a cooking disaster, it's very sloppy, but it tastes ok and I'll get loads of portions to freeze out of it as I made lots and only wanted a little today (because I wasn't feeling great).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:39 am

Grand scheme, so true. Year after year. Just like the slim cultures do. 8)

I go to a free Shakespeare reading once a month that is catered by a local English shop with scones and tea, sometimes with clotted cream. I almost always tell myself I will have only one scone, but it's usually two and a half. I often have a light dinner afterwards because we end at four. Luckily no tummy upset. Or maybe not lucky? Cheap thrills!(sorry if I'm repeating myself. Too lazy to look back.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:16 am

Calling it porridge instead of oatmeal makes it sound more like comfort food. I think I might start doing that.
Wait -- is there actually a difference between porridge and oatmeal?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 am

Oola- I've never had that problem with scones before. It was huge, but maybe I just wasn't 100% anyway.

Automated- porridge is just the British name I think. Although maybe oatmeal is smoother? I've never had "oatmeal" so I'm not sure.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:29 pm

26th February: green

Breakfast: 2 slices of toast with peanut butter and banana, a few blueberries
Lunch: cheese, rocket and cucumber sandwich, a carrot, grapes
Dinner: fish pie and sweetcorn

That fish pie definitely improved with a day in the fridge. Or I'm just grateful to have something warm and comforting in my belly on a cold day! It keeps snowing, but not enough for more than a light dusting to settle. It's a cold week forecast so hopefully will not turn to food for warmth...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:33 pm

27th February: green

Breakfast: porridge with banana, peanut butter and cinnamon
Lunch: cheese sandwich and baked beans
Dinner: falafel in pitta bread with carrot, cucumber, red pepper and rocket

Still cold, increasingly snowy. Could have chosen a more warming dinner, but ah well, that's what cups of tea are for! Everything crossed for a snow day tomorrow, but I'm not holding out that much hope.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:12 am

Snow Day! Snow Day! Yes, keeping everything crossed!!!!!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:28 pm

28th February: green

Breakfast: porridge with banana, peanut butter and all spice
Lunch: cheese, rocket and cucumber sandwich, red pepper, grapes
Dinner: Tofu, courgette, carrot and red pepper stir fry with rice

Still no snow day, just 30 very excited children paying way more attention to what's out the window (a winter wonderland but with only a dusting) than what I'm attempting to teach them.

It's snowing now though so hopefully there will be enough tonight.

It's probably of note that I have nothing to say about food. I've really not been thinking about it that much. I planned my dinners on Sunday, which I really must bother to do every week because it really helps.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:02 pm

...just had message from DD’s school saying they’re open again tomorrow, after being closed today. She will be gutted! I wouldn’t be surprised if it snows heavily tonight here in Surrey. I don’t think I can remember it ever being so cold! Tea, tea!

It’s funny, I don’t have much to say about food either...my mind has gone very quiet on that front. Hurrah!

Meal planning for the week - a brilliant idea - I know how much it helps, so must make more effort!

Stay warm!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:11 pm

How funny, I'm in Surrey too! But clearly a less snowy part, all local primary schools were open today (except one with broken heating), though some of the secondary schools weren't. I can actually walk to work so I have no real excuse, but I don't really want to trek 45 mins in the cold (especially when dressed as a witch as I will be tomorrow).

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:23 pm

1st March: green

Breakfast: bread and a poached egg
Lunch: veg soup, bread, cheese
Dinner: veg chilli, bread

Got my snow day! Considered having it as a NWS day but decided against it and treated myself to lots of (fresh, made from a packet of dough mix last night) bread instead. School is closed tomorrow too so will probably have that as a NWS day and either go to the bakery, the coffee shop or bake a treat. This is the first proper snow for a good five or six years so it's not like snow days are a regular occurrence round here.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:05 pm

A NWS day watching snowflakes fall when you rarely see them sounds sweet. Prolly no big reasons for more than a second NWS day this month.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 am

I was wondering how often you got snow, and thinking it must be pretty rare there.

Homemade bread would be the perfect S for me. Seriously.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:15 pm

2nd March: S is for snow day

Breakfast: porridge with banana, peanut butter and cinammon
Lunch: veg soup, bread, cheese
Snack: blondie and hot chocolate
Dinner: mackerel, rice, onion, green pepper

I nearly didn't have today as an S-day, but by the afternoon I really wanted to leave the house, so I popped to the coffee shop opposite my house. It's too close to justify going to normally, but as I couldn't drive anywhere it seemed a good choice. Then spurred on by the fact that I'd bothered to get dressed etc, I went for a snowy walk. So I may have had cake, but I've also done almost ten thousand steps despite not really moving before 2pm... It's been nice to have random two days off work, but I'm about done with snow now.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:48 am

Getting off of our typical routine is both delightful and disturbingly disruptive, all at once! I think the best we can do is enjoy it reasonably, exactly as you are doing!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 pm

3rd March: S day

Breakfast: toast and a fried egg
Snack: grapes
Lunch: butternut squash soup, bread, cheese, a chocolate truffle
Dinner: roast chicken, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower cheese, 2 small chocolates

Also nibbled bits of dinner while it was cooking (mostly broccoli, but also chicken skin :oops: ) and had seconds of the cauliflower cheese because I couldn't fit all the leftovers in the box.

Quite restrained on the Ss (even turned down a cake opportunity this afternoon), but made up for it with a mega-dinner. It did all fit on a plate (and it was mostly broccoli) but I'm pretty full now.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:07 pm

4th March: most definitely an S day

Breakfast: toast (one slice with peanut butter and banana, one with jam)
Snack: bag of mini cheddars, a small lemon drizzle cake
Lunch: carvery (meat, potatoes in many different forms, veg)
Snack: ice cream and a creme egg
Dinner (if you can call it that): bread and butter

The less said about the food consumed today the better...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 pm

5th March: back to green

Breakfast: porridge with banana and cinammon
Lunch: cheese, rocket and cucumber sandwich, cherry tomatoes, grapes
Dinner: leek, mushroom and chicken risotto

Non-work activity: walked to and from work

Weird that Mondays are almost a relief food-wise now... I did have a very generous portion of risotto but as I'd bothered to cook it after walking home I was going to enjoy it! And it was much better than a chicken sandwich (the alternative dinner my hungry self contemplated halfway home),

I'm trying a new thing for March. I want break the habit of coming home from work and just sitting, so I'm aiming for three days a week with an activity that either involves moving or talking to other people for at least half an hour. As this developed from the idea of walking to work, I started with that. It took less than 40 mins each way, meant i achieved my 10000 steps before I even left work (currently at 15000) and felt good. Other ideas for activities are swimming, maybe an exercise class (eek...), midweek church prayer meeting and maybe inviting someone round for dinner. We'll see how it goes, the target is adjustable till April.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Being able to walk to work in 40 minutes is a huge boon, IMHO. (Following our leader's habit) I used to toy with the idea of parking about a half hour away, but I had a wheely thing I took from classroom to classroom. Just couldn't imaging that. Enjoy your bounteous steps!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:18 pm

6th March: green

Lunch: chicken sandwich, cucumber and grapes
Dinner: chicken, leek and mushroom risotto

Non-work activity: swimming (30 lengths, 25 mins in pool)

I'm planning on going swimming in a hour. I was planning on going straight after work, but traffic was awful, so I came home first and then realised I wouldn't be able to go back out that soon as the pool has a random closed 45 mins mid-evening. Hoping that writing my intent to go later will make me actually go later...
EDIT TO ADD: hooray, waffling about swimming worked- just got back :D

And a 40 minute walk is fine when I'm not having to leave the house 30 minutes earlier in the morning. Getting going in the morning is an ongoing battle...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 pm

7th March: green

Lunch: chicken sandwich, cucumber and blueberries
Dinner: fish pie, broccoli and cauliflower

Non-work activity: sadly not (she says, looking mournfully at the the box of books that need marking)

I'm very tired (woke up at 5am after a horrible dream) but have not even thought about turning to food. Right, marking awaits...

jenji

Post by jenji » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Jumping in here to say nice job on getting out for a swim after coming home the other night.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:27 pm

8th March: green

Lunch: chicken sandwich, cherry tomatoes and blueberries
Dinner: veg chilli and brown rice

Non-work activity: I'm pretty sure I shouldn't count putting away laundry, so none...

I'll walk to work tomorrow, got training at a school only 25 mins walk away and don't have to be there till 9, so no excuse for driving really...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:47 pm

9th March: green, with an exception

Lunch: jacket potato, tuna, cheese, salad and (controversially in my head) a peach melba yoghurt
Dinner: roast chicken, mash, roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower cheese

Non-work activity: walked to work, walked round supermarket

Hum. Does a fruit yogurt count as a sweet? I think it said it didn't contain any added sugar, but it did have sweetner. I have ended up in this predicament because there was lunch provided at the training I was at today and when I got to the end of the serving hatch there was yoghurt and cake and my plate looked quite empty and I didn't really think and plonked a yoghurt on it (I did think enough to not take a toffee one or a bowl of cake). When I got back to my seat I debated (in my head) whether I should eat it, but my potato was pretty small, I hadn't taken much tuna and I decided it was fine. Later on I wasn't sure again, but this was while I was in the supermarket and I didn't want to go down the "if I'm not sure whether it's green I better definitely make it yellow" path again, so I decided to count it as green. I really don't think it matters that much, because I'm almost never in this situation, but perhaps next time I'll take more tuna and leave the yoghurt...

Oh, and I almost failed on the activity, because I did end up getting a lift home as it was raining, but then I went back out to the supermarket so I'm going to count it as a win.
3/5 active days- target achieved

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:33 am

I eat yoghurts on N days as part of meals. They sometimes have some sugar in, but it's no sweets not no sugar and I generally wouldn't consider a fruit yoghurt a 'sweet'.

I do stay away from yoghurts that are flavoured chocolate, toffee, caramel etc.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:10 pm

10th March: S day

Breakfast: fried egg, toast, jam
Lunch: toast, cheese, beans
Snack: hummus and chocolate mousse (licked the bowl and spoon while making them for tomorrow), crisps
Dinner: chicken, bacon and mushroom pie, chips, broccoli, carrots, a few sweet potato fries (tasting a friend's dinner) and a few spoonfuls of sticky toffee pudding (again, "helping" a friend finish their dessert)

So this is quite similar to a typical day before no S, but it feels like a lot of food now. Probably because it is a lot of food...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:46 pm

11th March: still an S day

Breakfast: a slice of toast with peanut butter and banana
Lunch: hummus and crudités, salmon, new potatoes and green beans, chocolate mousse with raspberries and blueberries
Snack: chocolate mousse with raspberries
Dinner: still contemplating that

I had my family over for a mother's day lunch, hence the three courses. My brother didn't like the chocolate mousse, hence the second helping a couple of hours after dinner. I was reasonably controlled with my portion sizes at lunch (and I chose to cook reasonably light things as my mum likes that kind of food), so I feel like I should have a little something but I'm also not that hungry so I can't decide if I want any dinner... I'm taking that as a sign that I don't really need anything to eat but I might change my mind before bed.

jenji

Post by jenji » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:55 pm

milliem wrote:I eat yoghurts on N days as part of meals. They sometimes have some sugar in, but it's no sweets not no sugar and I generally wouldn't consider a fruit yoghurt a 'sweet'.

I do stay away from yoghurts that are flavoured chocolate, toffee, caramel etc.
I eat yogurt all the time on N days as parts of meals, too, but I only buy plain, whole milk yogurt. Often plain Greek yogurt. I then add fruit or nuts or cereal to it, so I control how sweet it is.

However, if I ate a fruit yogurt at a meeting, I would not consider that a failure day.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:06 pm

12th March: green, though I'm tempted to call it a sick day

Lunch: cheese sandwich and blueberries
Dinner: macaroni, cauliflower, grated cheese

I have a horrible sore throat, with added headache thrown in, hence the quick and easy to eat dinner. No activity for the same reason...

And as for the yoghurt, I'm more confident in being fine with it now. I would have had no problem with plain Greek yogurt, or with fruit, but know that fruit yogurts often have more sugar in than you would expect so will avoid in future.
Last edited by flyingpig on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:06 pm

13th March:green

Lunch: chicken sandwich and grapes
Dinner: salmon, potatoes, green beans, courgette, raspberries

Feeling much better, hurrah!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I've been battling cold symptoms coming and going for more than a week. It's certainly not like being really ill but still puts a dent in things. Here's to our full healing soon!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

14th March: amazingly green

Lunch: a selection from a buffet (small sandwiches, little wraps, a piece of chicken, an onion bhaji, a samosa, fruit)
Dinner: chicken katsu udon noodle soup

Activity: all the walking

My cold was the shortest known to man. Weird. Maybe it'll re-emerge...
So I was at a conference in London today, that's why I had a buffet lunch. It sounds like a lot, but it all fit easily on a small plate so everything was small. I didn't take any biscuits all day. I managed to walk past so many sources of food on the way from the course to meeting a friend for dinner (and I had two hours to kill at that point). I would not have been able to do that in January, but now it wasn't particularly hard to convince myself that I could wait. And I ate dinner out and didn't have dessert. The habits are sinking in, even on a day that's completely out of the ordinary. It's been a long day too- left home before 7am and won't be home much before 10pm.

And as for walking- well that's easy in London! I get a bit fed up on public transport at rush hour, so I got off the tube early and walked the last bit in the morning, then walked back to a different tube station on the way back. I even almost walked from dinner to the train station but it was getting quite late and the tube was just there. Still on 15000+ steps and I'm not home yet...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Wonderful use of the time, space, and food! Lots of good practice just walking on by.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 pm

I love a lunchtime buffet, although they are mostly brown food :lol:

Even if N days don't always go to plan I definitely think it's worth noting the times when you did resist a snack or sweet temptation! We had two buckets (yes buckets) of little mini treats in work today, I would definitely have had at least one and probably about four before...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:51 pm

15th March: green

Lunch: chicken sandwich, grapes
Dinner: big mac and fries

Activity: I need to rethink this, I'm not sure what counts. I might just step count? I've done 10000 steps today... Mostly running around work though, but I did pace round the shops...

Urgh. Anytime I get too confident I have a day where I am very grumpy and moany and end up getting fast food dinner. Work is stressful- my class were not on their best behaviour and I had lots to organise for tomorrow, plus tests to mark. I don't think I've got a great costume ready for tomorrow (I have to dress up for world book Day, which we postponed due to snow) so I ran around the shops trying to improve it. Trying on clothes is one of the most depressing things, in my opinion. The only reason I did not buy a load of chocolate to eat this evening while I assess my class' writing (about as fun as it sounds) was because I knew I'd have to admit it here.

And yes the buffet was pretty brown, though there was salad in most of the sandwiches and the fruit selection was lovely (I think I had watermelon, grapes and kiwi).

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:15 am

16th March: green

Lunch: tofu and veg stir fry with rice
Dinner: chicken and chorizo sandwich

Made it through another week. Bring on the S days.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:59 pm

17th and 18th March: very s

I can't even remember everything I ate this weekend :oops:
I was at a family gathering, but I can't really blame that, I wasn't offered lots of food- I sought it out. We were stuck in the house too (we tried to go for a walk but it was too cold and snowy), so very inactive. Ah well, tomorrow is a new (N) day, though perhaps a snow day (it should have stopped snowing by now but it hasn't so I'm holding out hope that the roads will be too difficult to drive on tomorrow morning).

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:17 pm

19th March: Red

Breakfast: cheese omlette
Lunch: cheese sandwich and grapes
Dinner: fish pie and green beans
... and then a packet of cookies

I don't know why I did that. The weekend was too full of food, i so cold and I'm so tired and it's Monday and I just thought that they would help. But now I feel slightly sick...

Mark it and move on, I suppose.