"the truth about slim people"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anra

"the truth about slim people"

Post by anra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoRh5-gCCrc

I found this very interesting and funny to watch. they don't hit you on the nose with it, but no snacking and eating real meals is "a big revelation" in there.

enjoy!
simplicity is the purest form of elegance.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Oh dear, unfortunately we’re not allowed to play the video in the UK! It’s blocked. I’m dying to know the truth about slim people! Do summarise it for me if you get a moment, Anra!

elegantportions

Post by elegantportions » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 am

Main Ideas:

Eat a healthy diet of real food with plenty of fruits, vegs, nuts & seeds.
Sleep well 7-9 hrs/night.
Drink little or no alcohol.
Cook meals from scratch & eat them sitting down.
Avoid snacks.
Eat out rarely.
Follow a routine.
If you eat more than usual one day, eat less the next day.
Be happy.
EP
5'5" Female Age 62
Dec 2018 Year 5 BMI = 25.8

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:31 am

All great advice!

anra

Post by anra » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:19 pm

thanks ep for summarizing.

and octavia, I find this ironic ... it's a british video by channel 4! :shock:
simplicity is the purest form of elegance.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:46 pm

You forgot fidget unconsciously.

Oh, be happy. Is that all? Ok. I'll get right on that. Thankfully, I've been able to pull this off while having all the emotional problems I always have, maybe out of defiance, just as I've defied using the two big weight loss (statistically unsuccessful) options nor appearance as my main motivation. I admit it's convenient to fit the image more.

BTW, saying eat less, exercise more doesn't work is misleading, I think. It just means an individual may have to eat even less and exercise even more than the next gal/guy. Oh, sure, that's fair. :roll:

I can tell you right now that if I ate 2,300 calories a day, I would be very uncomfortably full most of the time, and back to my original high weight. I may do that on a wild S day, but the rest of the week, when I occasionally check in, it's more like 1,300 to 1,600 a day. Recently, some even lower low days and no higher high days, but to avoid being too full. Doesn't mean I don't miss eating more some!

The point is these people do this with very little sense of purposeful deprivation or pressure. They are not constantly fighting the urge to eat more nor telling themselves I MUST fidget, I MUST walk, I MUST exercise two hours a week, I MUST sleep, I MUST sit when I eat, I MUST not snack, I MUST be happy. They didn't have to train themselves to be this way. I call that lucky.

Do you have to be lucky to be able to adopt these habits? No. But you do have to put some effort, sometimes a lot initially, and sometimes (for some of them for me) quite consistently. And you may have to be content for a long time, perhaps forever, with not getting to thin. But what's the alternative? The adage BrightAngel used to say was losing weight is hard, being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 pm

How funny that it’s blocked in the UK! Doh! Thanks for the summary, Elegant.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 am

I’ve lived a long time now with my naturally slim husband and I don’t see him following many of these rules. He eats lots of good food (mostly cooked by me) but plenty of junkier choices - he loves a good meat pie and happily eats frozen pizza for dinner. He loves to fry up bacon and eggs for brekky. He would never deliberately choose to eat a nut or seed, but eats them when I prepare them. He drinks pretty much every day and on many weekend drinks plenty!

What I have noticed is that he will turn down food, even treat food he loves, if he’s not hungry. I, on the other hand, can happily continue to eat my favourites long after my body is technically satisfied.

He does sleep very well and a lot (usually 9 hrs a night) and is a pretty happy person.

Anyway, after years of feeling it’s a bit unfair, I’ve accepted that he is an outlier and there is no point trying to be him. Vanilla No S for me.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 pm

MOST people aren't these slim people, at least not here and in England. And a bunch of other countries. The fat countries have now "balanced" things such that 33% of the world is now overweight or obese. And that's counting poor and war-torn countries.

No S is a veritable port in a storm. I still see so many people betting on their little personal "diet" life savers or rafts, but so many more go under looking for the right one.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 am

Finally got around to watching this and really enjoyed it, Thankyou for sharing! It was so nice to see people eat what they wanted with real enjoyment and not be hung up about it..I definitely think No S helps achieve this..I love and really look forward to my 3 meals a day..but I'm definitely conscious of the 'effect' those meals will have on my weight. It would be nice to be in such a routine and habit of 3 meals a day and not worrying or consciously thinking about the effect..but with a 30yr habit of worrying about weight I might have to accept it's something I'll always be conscious of. I have to say the people in my life who "eat when they eat" and get on with life in between are slim and have a pretty balanced relationship with food (my husband being one of them). I notice that they don't have bits of food here and there it's eat a decent meal and move on. :D

elegantportions

Post by elegantportions » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:27 pm

One of the things I discovered a long time ago is that a lot of the "naturally slim" people I know personally are very unhealthy. The main reason they remain thin is that they have lousy digestive systems and can't enjoy eating nearly as much as I do.

I must confess that even today when I see someone here in the US who is not pudgy, my first response is to question whether or not they have cancer or some other major illness. Those perceptions are not helped by finding out that in many parts of Africa, the word for HIV translates to English "slim". :cry:
EP
5'5" Female Age 62

eam531

Post by eam531 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 pm

elegantportions wrote:One of the things I discovered a long time ago is that a lot of the "naturally slim" people I know personally are very unhealthy. The main reason they remain thin is that they have lousy digestive systems and can't enjoy eating nearly as much as I do.

I must confess that even today when I see someone here in the US who is not pudgy, my first response is to question whether or not they have cancer or some other major illness. Those perceptions are not helped by finding out that in many parts of Africa, the word for HIV translates to English "slim". :cry:
Wow. DH and I are slim. The idea that someone's knee-jerk reaction would be to think we had cancer, rather than ate moderately and exercised, is jaw-dropping. Almost offensive, actually. It's like saying, "these people are slim, but surely it can't be because they have disciplined habits. No--they must have a DISEASE!!!"

We both like food a lot, but food is not the center of our emotional lives. We just don't overeat, and we have exercised religiously for decades. That's it. No ill health involved, just trying to lead a sensible, healthy life.

That's why Reinhard's plan is so great--it's just good sense, and the way most of us who are over 50 grew up.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Eam531, may I ask you what brought you to No S? I couldn't find a thread, not that anyone has to have one. tx
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Marina

Post by Marina » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:48 pm

I watched this last night in complete awe! Those people self regulate without even thinking about it! I could seriously binge watch several episodes of this it was a series or somerhing like that. So jealous!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 pm

It's a fair amount of luck, just like people with math aptitudes or good memories. I've seen those people on the diet websites when it stops working and they get just as frustrated as the rest of us when they have to start thinking about it more.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jenji

Post by jenji » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 pm

One of my board members is slim, and I realized that she's trained us that the only snack she wants at board meetings is a clementine. She seems genuinely delighted to have one, and exclaims over it, and we are all satisfied that we've fed her. I realized that she did naturally what I've been trying to train myself to do, act rapturous over a little indulgence like a cup of coffee or a glass of wine at a party, so people leave me alone about the cake.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

elegantportions

Post by elegantportions » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:11 pm

Eam531, I am sorry you found my comment offensive.
I wish I could meet more people like you and your husband.
I can't tell you the number of times I have been so disappointed to think I had met someone like you, but on closer acquaintance finding out they were not healthy after all. :cry:
EP
5'5" Female Age 62

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:30 pm

I agree with OOLALA 'be happy' - hahaha, if only I could form a habit of being happy.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs