Reinhard’s ‘Training wheels’ metaphor

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Octavia

Reinhard’s ‘Training wheels’ metaphor

Post by Octavia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:39 am

I’m struggling with Reinhard’s metaphor, the one about S days being like the moment when the training wheels come off your bike.

Does this mean that you are eventually aiming to make your S days just like your N days? That the ultimate goal of No S is to do N days all the time, even in the absence of rules (‘training wheels’)? Is that a good goal? Or do we need to continue to use our S days as motivation, reward and release, even if we hope they’ll naturally tame themselves somewhat?

Would love to know how others view this metaphor.

elegantportions

Post by elegantportions » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:30 pm

I kinda see it the opposite of what you describe. I tend to think that the ultimate goal of NoS is to eventually get to the place where every day is an S Day, a day with no rules whatsoever. It's just that at that point in my life, I would never want snacks, sweets, nor seconds more than the amounts allowed within the framework of NoS. In other words, by my own free will I would choose no more than 10 or so treats per month without any guilt or tracking whatsoever.

But I need training wheels, so I will continue with N/S Days.
EP
5'5" Female Age 62
Dec 2018 Year 5 BMI = 25.8

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 am

That’s a very wise way of looking at it. Thanks, Elegant.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:49 pm

No, your S Days are your S Days. The idea is to not make your S Days your N Days. S Days are a reward.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks, Over43! I too think the reward aspect is important.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:27 am

I think no training wheels means that we eventually learn moderation *most* of the time. That doesn't mean S days become N days--there are still rewards on S days. But it means we don't go all crazy and binge-eat everything we want just because it's an S day--it means, hopefully, eventually, we calm down and enjoy some treats reasonably when we want them. Balance (ironically perhaps, just what we need to learn to do when the training wheels come off!)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks Merry! I’m understanding better now...had been having a mental block before...but yes, it’s got to be all about balance! And moderation of course! Hoping today will be like that. I’ve woken up with a nice feeling of freedom, but no particular cravings. So perhaps it will be a well balanced day.