Trying to start No-S. I think I need some support..

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Annanol

Trying to start No-S. I think I need some support..

Post by Annanol » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi everyone,

For a year or two, I've been trying to get myself out of the diet-weight gain-cycle. I haven't succeeded at it just yet, but am fed up with dieting. From September through December I was doing weight watchers, feeling pretty good about the programm and lost 12 kg. But then weight watchers changed their programm and I felt it didn't fit my life. Since then, been trying to find ways to lose weight and gain a healthy relationship to food. I've been reading about NO-S for a while and it appeals to me a lot as it's simple, down to earth and makes sense!

But somehow I seem to make a false start every day, or every other day. Something happens and I sabotage my own plans. So there you have, I need some pals to do this with me, I think! Anyone up for the challenge. I am 39 years old, a mom and a highschool teacher from the Netherlands.

Hope to talk to you soon!
Anneke

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Welcome, Anneke! I have made many ' false starts' but the important thing is to just keep at it. Lets support each other. Everyone on here is wonderful. Have you started a daily check in thread? IT has been helpful for me to track things and to see what makes me go off plan and remind myself how bad I feel when I overeat. Best of luck!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 am

Hi Anneke, what is a false start in your mind? Does that mean you make it through one day or only a half day and then have a fail? In the beginning I probably failed 50% of my days, so my Habitcal(calendar) was half red(fail) and half green(success). That was normal for me, so I looked at it as they would have been ALL red fail days previously, so that's a start, not a false start. If only 1 out of 3 days was green, then that was still a start and a mild improvement. Don't beat yourself up over fails at NoS, just move on to the next day and try to do better. Here's hoping you stick around and report your progress. Trace
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:43 am

I totally agree with Whosonfirst. I started like that too, but after a month I realized I had lost weight and I thought that even if I had had many red days (half the month) I had somehow been in the plan, so I committed myself to having more green days and so I followed :)

Cheer up!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:59 am

I only started last Friday and so far have more yellow days than greeen.

Which part are you struggling with?

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 am

Welcome! Why not join the March challenge? You still have about half the month to go. You can also start a check-in thread and follow a few other people's threads. Then people can follow you, too. That's one of the ways we get and give support here. I have about 10 people I follow, though I don't comment on every update.

If you get even from any one meal to the next with no S's, you are on your way!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Annanol

Post by Annanol » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:33 am

Thank you all for making me feel welcome. The idea of tracking my days, seems like a good idea. I will look into that!

Also, the idea, of not completely failing, when there are days that it doesn't work is something I need to work on. I tend to 'fall of the wagon' for a few days and then start to pick up again. It is much better to look at it from a different perspective: pick up again the next day, not all is lost, because I couldn't control my urges one day.

My biggest struggle? Driving home from work after a though day at school, thinking I 'deserve' a snack...

This is exactly the support I was looking for. So I will take the challenge and start today. Make it my official start, so that I don't have to restart every time, but just continue the journey that I started. There will be good and bad days, i'm sure.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:51 am

I'm a teacher, too, and after work/before dinner was most often my toughest time. I found it really helped to have in mind a great dinner to look forward to. That helped me countless times to drive past the common places I stopped for extra foods.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jenji

Post by jenji » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Sometimes I get a decaf latte as a treat after work if I am struggling to make it until dinner. It still feels like a treat, but I don't use any sugar or get the flavors.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Welcome!

Some people track each 'S' to get a picture of where they are struggling a bit, it can also help show your successes in a bit more detail! Every day is a new opportunity! Plus you only ever have to go 5 days before you can relax a bit :)

Annanol

Post by Annanol » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Ah yes, I do that sometimes when I am at home for the day, make myself a latte and read for a while, feels totally like a treat!