Economist's View

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Economist's View

Post by Over43 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:38 pm

Chris Highcock posted this on the Facebook page. I think it was Chris who directed me toward No S via the Dave Draper web page in 2008?

Many of you might like this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-cult ... ncna855206

They suggest skipping a meal if you eat a "big meal". I would not do that.

Of course, they wrote a book. Meet the new approach, reads like the "old" approach"...

Chris Graeme

Post by Chris Graeme » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi there

Yes that was me. I occasionally post here as Chris Graeme but not often.

Chris Graeme

Post by Chris Graeme » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm

As I said on Facebook their book - which was cheap on Kindle - is pretty repetitive and I think it over complicates things.

NoS is much simpler and much easier to read! Theirs is a very similar approach, but not as elegant as NoS.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:10 pm

This link was posted here back on February. Great minds run in the same circles! It is an interesting support. I love anything that doesn't dwell on calorie counting or jettisoning food groups.

If I had stuck only with foods I love, though, I wouldn't love some of the foods I do now. It just didn't seem like a good idea to live on lasagna, pizza, brownie batter, and cookie dough. :shock:

The one thing I thought was a very good addition to No S , but not necessarily for newbies, is having only one major meal a day. I noticed when I read about French eating that they have a very small breakfast, just some small bread-y thing and cafe au lait, the only time they add milk to coffee, and one smallish meal plus the big one, which apparently is often the mid-day meal. But they allow for the time to enjoy that mid-day meal, usually with others. I don't think American workday practices would allow for that. Mine wouldn't. Lunch is 35 minutes at school! And I think most Americans want to have a big dinner to eat with family. Though there are a lot of us single people out there now.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:20 pm

I have this book checked out from the library right now and have been reading it the past couple of days. It's very interesting and they make
some good points IMO. They also point out that weight loss is a marathon,
not a sprint; and to eat with intention rather than eating on autopilot.