Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oolala53
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Octavia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best from me, too. Such a challenging situation for you and your family - I don’t really know what to say, but just want to send sympathy, courage and good wishes. Your presence will definitely be an asset at this time. Keep checking in with us all whenever you can!
3squaremeals

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time with your family x
oolala53

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx, all. As it turned out, my niece said not to come because things were basically handled as much as they could be. She has been able to talk to him. He of course says he shouldn't be in the facility. He also told the doctor that she was going to let him come live with her; she set the doctor and him straight. He claimed he had never had a hallucinating before' she corrected that, too. The fact that he is denying it is evidence in my opinion that his problem is serious, but he has also been paying his rent and bills, so it's not as if he can't function in the right situation . He was released last night at 9 pm. My niece picked him up, & got him to his truck. He stayed in a motel, an expensive one since it was the night before Easter and will look for something more reasonable today. His says his phone was stolen even before all this. Rectifying that tomorrow. She also let him know that he will have to pay a service to clean out his place and it will cost money to refurbish it; it might not even be possible. He completely agreed. The code officer who saw it said it's much harder with mobile homes. Niece did not tell him that.

If I didn't say it before, I am so glad to be done with my seasonal "diet" and having to figure macros and amounts. I was reminded of Reinhard's saying about counting, "Besides the sheer tedium of compliance, if you come to think of food as fuel, a mere quantity, you'll come to loathe it -- and your number crunching-munching self.) But for my purposes, 20 days a year is fine. I had found a meal program at one point that was a reasonable price. I have to admit that was a lot easier, but the company now offers only three days at a higher price and doesn't follow the protocol as well. I kept the records, so maybe I'll just repeat everything next time for ease.

Had two social eating events yesterday. None today. Just coffee and cantaloupe so far today. Waiting to get hungry.

Back to work for two weeks tomorrow. I'm down to the end of my food supplies. I've never planned much ahead except to have the makings for meals on hand, but today I'm going to allot the rest of the protein and starch out for the next few days. Then I'll plan what to buy. I want to be more careful not to accumulate so much. It may mean I take more time to build variety.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, your eating out of your pantry to get down to the last of the food supplies is amazing. It's the ultimate in decluttering. When I see the vast quantities of food in my fridge, pantry and freezer, I feel kind of icky at the inevitable waste. Reading about your journey is inspiring and guilt-triggering at the same time!!
oolala53

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been limited in variety but nto in amount, of course. I'm NOT trying to make it all last. I've been at this since February! I actually want to be done. But I think I have been eating less just because I don't necessarily eat a lot more of anything. I've really meted things out this week because I have less grain than beans and meat. I purposely added more fat to breakfast, a half a small avocado. I've been hungry about an hour and it's time for lunch at the job I'm at.

I've been out of dairy for about a month, I think, except for creamer for coffee or whatever, and I have been eating meat less frequently, just because that's my plan in the near future. My weight has dropped a bit; I hadn't thought about it, but then I thought it might have something to do with it. I don't plan to keep them out of my diet at this point, though. It's worth a couple of pounds to have my plain yogurt and cottage cheese.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

lpearlmom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to better about just eating what we have instead of going to the store. I think I’m going to at least force myself to not go to the store more than onc a week. We also get a meal delivery service each week so there’s really no excuse for all these trips to the store.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
4/18-157.4 lbs

Current weight: 157.4 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
oolala53

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMGosh, I would stop at all the stores I get stuff from two and three times a week! I did often find bargains, and never had to say, "I didn't have anything in the house so I got fast food. I didn't need that excuse to get fast food! But I've gotten more "careful" about what I eat. I'll be 65 in September; less time to make up for losses in the nutrient "investment market." Shocked
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are a lot of beans and oats on the menu over the next few days. I actually love them, but don't want to let myself have an excuse to get antsy in these last days of larder eating. I may be using some sauces more liberally that I might be more sparing with usually, such as sesame garlic sauce, which is a little sweet. Also. Annie's Goddess dressing, that I try to mete out.

And I founds some rye flakes I hadn't cooked up yet. I guess this will go through the weekend. I remind myself that this is my choice. I am not holed up hiding from the enemy. I can go buy new food any time. Funnily enough, there is nothing I'm especially wishing was back in the mix,. Except spaghetti sauce. I can't justify it yet, because I have so many sauces. But I will add it back in before I exhaust those stores. When I use only a couple of tablespoons at a time of most of the sauces- they're usually stronger than spaghetti sauce- they can last a looooong time. I might consider opening a big jar of sun dried tomatoes.

Oh, and eggs.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Octavia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really fascinated by your store cupboard eating plan...I find I’m doing a lot more of this, too. Now I’m not calling in at the supermarket all the time to buy chocolate (while pretending to stock up on kitchen roll etc.) I find I’ve developed a slight aversion to the place. This is good - a natural side-effect of No S. So I’m digging into my stores a lot more!
oolala53

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along those lines, I discovered, or put into use something I guess I gleaned from the internet, that smashing plain cooked beans into a hot cereal mix helps thicken it and responds well to sweetening. I make a thick cereal, add cocoa, and sweeten it liberally with stevia and sometimes a bit of sugar alcohol. It's as close as I can come to recreating the bowls of chocolate frosting I made and ate since I was a kid. I volunteered to make the frosting for cakes since I was ten. I wonder if my mother suspected how much bigger the batches were that I made and ate the extra of? I did the same thing with cereal then, especially with grits. Since I have so many beans and didn't want to keep having a whole cup at a time, I worked a half cup into my coconut cereal and one tablespoon of oat fiber, which is almost fluffy when cooked. It's a habit that has probably preserved my continued sometimes naughty feeling of delight in sweets. I don't cultivate the sense of naughtiness, and have tried to rationally deflate it, but it persists. Maybe it's part of the thrill and enjoyment? I don't like to think so, yet if it gives me the sense that I'm getting away with something, and it's since it's something relatively harmless, maybe it's not so bad. Maybe it's good to have some secrets.

I did have a spectacular fail yesterday. I even went for WTH on purpose. I hate to allow that stress might get to me; I was able to get through tremendous stress in my first years of No S, but maybe it seemed more crucial then, since I had not proven to myself that I could do it. But yesterday the feelings of desire were extremely irritating and more long-lasting than usual. I don't like being reminded that I have so few activities that I find distracting enough. I'm also trying to spend less time online, and almost everything else feels like work. If I had known I would not be able to get an outdoor shed I'd been lusting after, and would have needed to arrange for delivery of, taking up crucial hours, I might have gone to the movies to avoid the witching hour and surviving WTH, but all past alternatives live only in the imagination. A happiness dictum says the let go of the past, and I'm seeing that happy people let of of the immediate past, too. I'm convinced the lucky ba$/2&ds have less brooding brains. Why are their fewer of these people in the world? (And psychologists have found that negative bias IS more prevalent.) Because MY ancestors who were more on the lookout for danger survived ! Just as I posit that MY ancestors who were better at keeping the fat they stored during times of plenty stayed alive to pass on their thrifty genes.

I had some fun this week reading an article on a rather distressing topic written by an astute and smooth writer, one whose literary skills with fiction were so deliciously applied to his topic. His ability to keenly observe the heartbreaking multigenerational problems in the lowest socioeconomic sector and describe them with such poignant imagery and metaphors was both delightful and a little bit painful with envy. But it was worth it.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out of my valley of failure. Whew.

I spent a lot of time online today including going to a website called Quora. I posted a question about sunsets, but I saw others on weight loss. I was shocked and even disturbed by the plethora of absolutely sadly idiotic questions about dieting. Things like "If I eat 500 calories a day of greens for a month will I lose weight?" It's almost immaterial that this will of course lead to long term failure. It's just imagining how clueless someone would have to be to think s/he wouldn't lose SOME weight on that regime. It's shocking how many are still interested in mostly failed strategies according to the stats. But why am I shocked? new diet books get published every day and just about all of them spell doom for the dieter. Humans are so derailed by their biases! I'm sure I am, too, but I'm not sure I've paid as high a price.

I've got about three more days of food left. Well, that's not actually true because I've kept a few canned fish selections and a turkey breast. I won't go shopping until Friday. I'm actually not thinking about it much because I don't want to get enthused about too many foods. I want to keep the stores less built up. Not going to buy any flesh for awhile. Potatoes, squash, corn tortillas, beans, eggs. cheese, walnuts, avocado. No freggies because I never stopped buying them. I'll go easy because my maid is coming Monday and I like to leave a non-stuffed fridge.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Octavia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...those diet questions are really barmy, and you wonder what sort of a person is posting them. Very young, not very educated, maybe. Or perhaps just not very experienced. I did try the Cabbage Soup diet myself once, and lasted one day. I realised it was making me hate both cabbage and soup!

Quora does have some interesting things on it, mixed with weirdness and nonsense, such as ‘what’s the most shameful thing you ever did?’ - cue total gross-out....

Glad to hear you’re back on course, and hope your last three days of food go well!
Larkspur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Oolala-- calling it "flesh" definitely makes you lean towards the plant based foods! (I just ordered chickens to keep for eggs/pets and it's unfortunate to think that is also one of my fave foods.)

I do think we get a pretty thoughtful crew here on NoS and I think it's because if you've really looked at the landscape for fat loss, you realize that it is alas not as simple as burning up the extra fat. Unless you are really good at self-denial, you're going to have to find a way to reset the thermostat.

My wonderful cleaner just came and I could just kiss her. She does such a nice job, has similar taste, and arranges my pretties in a new way so that I can enjoy the novelty. Times will have to get very lean before I give up that twice a month luxury.
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many ways to get terrible advice about changing eating habits for the better. I wrote a comment on another site (Guyenet)where I actually like the discussion, but the author reported on being invited to a panel with the MacDougal plan guy. Rabid vegan. G. is a starch-plus-a -little-animal food guy. He was willing to admit: look, people lose weight and improve their health markers on all of them. I added that it's almost ridiculous to debate which ultra restrictive plan is best when, as Reinhard points out, it ignores basic human psychology to think the masses will adhere to any of them! We could save billions of dollars if we could just help 80% of overweight and obese people lose 10% of their weight. Yes, they'd still be overweight and obese, but guess what? It wouldn't matter! We'd still have people off meds and living longer without intense medical support. We'd get the most health bang for our buck and their effort. Even that loss, though, if you look at the stats, is ambitious, but not as ambitious as thinking you're going to get even 20% of them to get into the normal BMI range. The advantages are incremental after the first 10%.

Okay, have I lost my sponsors here with my dark cloud message? Just exasperated sometimes.

And once again, it's making me think I've spent way too much time on all this. Why do I know all these things when people are wondering if they'll lose weight on 500 calories a day? This must be what it's like for astrophysicists. How can people be so clueless about the investigation of reality? they must be thinking. I guess it's a bit big-headed of me to compare myself to astute scientists. Shocked

I could really talk myself into a guilt trip here if I thought hard about how unfair it is that it's been sunny and a delightful 70 out while I sit inside and others are still facing snow and freezing temps, willing to go walking in a bikini if it gets to 50 deg. with the sun out. And yet...
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the obsession continues. I was commenting on another member's thread and looked up something, discovering this that I just had to record. I thought aboutputting it on the big board, but it's a little too much like minutiae.

Dr. Eduardo Grunvald with the UC San Diego Weight Management Program: Weight loss is really a behavioral issue, not a nutrition issue,” Grunvald said.

And this rather chilling average:
“For every 2.2 pounds you lose, your metabolic rate lowers by 30 calories. Your appetite will also increase by about 100 calories for every 2.2 pounds of weight you lose,” Fujioka [Dr. Ken Fujioka, director of the Nutrition and Metabolic Research Center at Scripps Clinic], said. “People think that weight loss is purely a willpower issue, but it’s more complicated than that.”

That's an average. It can't be true for me or I'd be ready to eat wallpaper. By that calculation, I should be yearning for another 2,000 calories a day. I might like a little more sometimes but that would be sickening.

Yet it means if it's lower for me, it's probably higher and stronger for someone else. So it sounds like it IS about willpower. And it's likely asking too much of a great number of people to contend with that combo of appetite and reduced burn for them to get thin.

But see above. A 10% drop is going to cause milder reactions, if the info is right.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

browsing on Quora, comment from Italian woman about eating habits who also said she eats pasta pretty much every day

"A regular portion of pasta is usually about 60-80 grams, depending on the sauce. Pasta is never eaten with bread and it is usually followed by a second light dish with vegetables and sometimes a protein (meat, fish, eggs). In Italy we do not usually eat dessert at the end of the meals (desserts are for festive occasions). More commonly a meal ends with a fruit and a cup of espresso coffee."

Anyone else surprised by her saying they don't eat pasta with bread? It makes sense, but shows how much Italian restaurants in America have been shaped by the consumers.

I've also read that Italians believe it's very bad to have milk in coffee after the morning cup. Not sure if the French think of it as a health issue, but I know cafe au lait is also only at breakfast.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s very interesting about the bread and pasta thing. I’ve never been to Europe, and it would be silly of me to point out how they serve Italian food in Singapore, lol. But here goes: 😂 At “Italian” restaurants here, you do not get bread with your pasta. You get the pasta. That’s it. I had to get used to that. I did get used to it. I don’t think it matters how Singaporeans eat their pasta, other than to say that I do think eating pasta with bread is totally American. Deliciously American. I could be wrong.

I have a question about your post a couple posts up. You mention that losing 10 percent of weight has health benefits. I’ve heard this for years. Not to be obtuse, but I’ve always wondered this: how can that be true when people are all different weights? Like, if I start out at 300 pounds and someone else starts out at 150, or even 180, how can we both benefit equally (assuming there’s less benefit to losing more??) by both losing 10 percent? I’ve always wondered this. Am I missing something?

I’m glad you research all this and then post for the rest of us. I don’t have the patience for that kind of reading. Give me a mystery novel or a true crime podcast any day. 😂
Current Weight: 232 (24 April 2018)
Goal Weight: Wherever my weight eventually settles on No S.
oolala53

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it's just something learned from interpreting data. I've always assumed it applied to people who were at least overweight. I'm not sure anyone knows why it seems to work. (BTW, it can be as little as 5%, depending on the individual.)

For taking pressure off joints and other movement issues, more weight off can be a big help.

And the data seems to show that just eating fewer calories than one would need to maintain any particular weight is easier on the inner organs. That will result in different amounts of weight lost, but in those cases, the benefit seems to have less to do with the actual weight lost, meaning there's no real advantage to getting thinner from the reduction.

And there will always be cases where obese people live as long as thinner people and with as few or fewer problems. It's just the odds are different.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

oolala53

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on the claim that for every kilo lost a person will experience a rebound urge to eat 100 calories more and have a 30 calorie drop in caloric need. (average, of course)

Saw that Stephan Guyenet pondered if the effect would extrapolate and doubted it for the reason I saw that it has not, in my case.

I guess I didn't mention other news that has had me topsy turvy. The team that was supposed to come clean out vestiges of a rat infestation (in insulation) and replace the insulation arrived nearly 2 hours late and forgot the trash bags, taking more than another hour to go get them (when there is Home Depot 12 minutes from my house- none of the guys live in San Diego but they didn't even ask me). Thus I actually left them at my house to finish the job (which should have been done by 3 or 4) at 5pm so that I could get to an event out of town.

On the way back, I hit another car going around a roundabout (which are extremely unusual in my area). The other drive and I were both fine, but she was scared about the incident and insisted on calling the police. I assured her it was unnecessary, but said go ahead. He of course said no report was necessary. She was walking around taking pictures of everything; old lady that I am, a didn't even get a picture of the damage to her car. The smashed metal from my front driver's side cut right through the tire, so I had to have my car towed 25 miles. Amazingly, my insurance covered that. BUT the tow truck company didn't come in the 60 minutes promised (from 9 until 10 p.m) and had to order another one.

The next day I went to pick up my eligible loaner. The compact I had requested was not available, so I had to take a bigger car- I didn't want this as I'm used to my short Scion and hate parking a big car). I didn't even remember the make the agent said he would get for me. He said it was ready outside with keys. The car looked incredibly long but what do I know? I honestly don't notice sedan brands. After some errands I was on my way home when I noticed a thwup thwup sound coming from the tire on my side. Called and the office was closed. Called the 800 number and was told my name did not match that of the car identity number. I"m pretty much yelling on the phone (the phone communication problems the night before had worn me down) so the agent went to find out what she could. It dawned on me then that I must have taken the wrong car. We got cut off, so I went to another branch of the rental agency. They had no records available at their site because the branches are franchises. I finally got a compact; amazingly it was a model I had wanted to test drive about a month ago, but had decided to keep my car. (The reason I wanted a new car was just because the ride is terrible now and my neighborhood has lots of bumpy streets.) Well, I found out the ride in this model is just as bad, and it's 10 years NEWER than mine. I went to the office at 11 am and didn't get home until nearly 3 pm with only about an hour on the errands in between.

I feel terrible about the accident and even a little worried about my ability to drive safely. I did not even see the other car, though it was bright red! I know it could have been so much worse, but my fear is that I will make a worse mistake later.

Despite my writing about it now, I haven't actually been moping about it. But it bubbles up, as you can imagine.

Eating has been okay.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Octavia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total nightmare!!! Sounds like you have recovered amazingly well. 💐💐💐
oolala53

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Now I'm up to my ears in shopping online for other cars, though I may just not claim it and pay for the fix myself.

BTW, that wrong car I took had terrible vision out the back window. All the sedan models I've considere- those damn Toyotas are reliable, which I love. And the ride is better, but they don't fit my image of myself. Even the Accent which is a hatchback and SHOULD have big window, doesn't, though it's a little easier because you know it's pretty much the end of the car. The hatchbacks with the best visiiblity are out of my price range and not as reliable.

I spent the first 25 years of my car-owning history spending a fair amount of time taking buses to repair shops because old cars were all I could afford. I really want to avoid that even though we now have Uber!
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: