Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

automated eating tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Octavia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS hope your little one is recovering from his hospital trauma.
oolala53

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rough about the blood sugar and blood pressure issues, but maybe they will become a reason it could be easier to change S days. They payoff is pretty big. But I know it wouldn't be easy. High blood pressure runs in my family. There's no guarantee my habits now will protect me. It's gone up some as my weight has gone down.

In any case, good luck for a green week. Enjoy every bite!
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
worth it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh auto,

I wish I had words of wisdom to ease your mind... The only good thing I can think of is that the weight-loss piece of this is probably not as important as you originally thought. Reasons not related to vanity alone could likely cause permanent change for you and can help sustain your habits on No S no matter what mods you decide or don’t decide to try.

Maybe you could spend some time thinking up a system for “No stress”. I loved reading about your creative ideas in the past around reading to your children and spending- why not try and help reduce some of the stress that seems to really be causing issues for you? Feel free to ignore if that didn’t cheer you up. 🙃
automatedeating

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support. And that is indeed a very intriguing idea to me to have a NoStress System. Smile

Tuesday, March 20th

140.8 - BMI 25.8

B: yogurt smoothie w/banana, blueberries & strawberries
L: oatmeal w/peanut butter and banana
D: taco salad -- taco meat, tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, salad
glass of wine
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son gets his stitches out tomorrow!

Wednesday, March 21st

B: small smoothie -- yogurt, banana, blueberries, strawberries, coffee w/milk
L: 3 corn tortillas w/ beans, cheese, tomatoes & sour cream
D: big salad with tuna fish, guacamole, olives, and tortilla chips

NoSlouch: walk/jog w/ dog. Goal is to absolutely make this part of my morning routine -- no excuses. 14 min/day, of course longer is fine. Biking with dog fine too. Actually, I do go most mornings, but I'd like to be more consistent. Sometimes I let the weather, the darkness, or my schedule push this aside.

NoStress (thanks for the idea, Worthit): For the next two weeks, I'm going to do Yoga for 7 min a day, focusing on stretching and deep breathing. Today -- check, but didn't do the breathing part very well.
worth it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto- lol! You are SO CREATIVE! Love the yoga for 7 mins- sounds very doable.

I will also keep the peaceful vibes coming your way! 😊
automatedeating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, worthit! Smile

Thursday, March 23rd

B: smoothie -- banana, yogurt, frozen strawberries/blueberries, coffee w/milk
L: 3 corn tortillas w/beans, cheese, guacamole, sour cream
D: 3 corn tortillas w/chicken, cheese, guacamole, sour cream!
2 glasses of wine

Tomorrow I am going to visit some puppies......... Oh my. Long-term forum members will know that getting our first dog landed me with a Xanax subscription. I think collecting pets might be an actual disorder.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday, March 23rd

B: banana/blueberry/strawberry yogurt smoothie; coffee w/milk
L: salad w/chicken, guac, sour cream, cheese, onions, cilantro & a few chips
D: not sure yet but I'd like it to be a tuna melt. kids have a pizza party end-of-basketball season at someone's house, and I will NOT eat pizza tonight (refined carbs). So..... I guess I might be able to find enough healthy sides to make a plate of dinner food there. Maybe not.

Visited puppies. Came back down to Earth. Came home to my (now) mellow 2-year old dog and I'm relaxing on the couch with him and my 9 year old lap cat. Good, right? Why rock this boat right when my husband's schedule is easing up? Why do I always get this desire to add something more complicating to my life when things start to ease up?????? I won't do it this time. Maybe another dog next summer. The first dog will only be 3 and still probably young enough to enjoy a pup, AND I will have a nice laid-back spring and summer to enjoy my family, pets, and friends. Oh, and food!
Wink
oolala53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably shouldn't say anything about the puppies in case you change your mind, but I'm glad you didn't take one on for now.

Did I already say I've been looking occasionally for a good tuna sandwich in my town? It's the bread that makes the big difference for me, although I did have one with primo filling, and can't remember where. I like the bread to be very grainy. Haven't found it commercially yet. And I don't want a whole loaf in my freezer for now.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victory!!!

I made good choices at the party and bypassed ALL the S's. I chose a spinach salad, veggies w/ranch, and guacamole and corn chips. And a few cubes of cheese. Small fail in that there was a late arrival of fried chicken and I got a piece. Um, so I don't feel bad -- I've been doing NoS long enough to know how I COULD and WOULD have eaten at an event like that, and I call it a victorious evening. Smile

Oolala, how have you avoided collecting pets? Laughing

And, I didn't end up with a tuna sandwich tonight, but I am right there with you on the search for a good one at a cafe or something. That is way hard to find. I am not much of a cook, but the ones I make at home are way better than the typical restaurant tuna sandwich.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday, Squishy S Day

139.9 (!)

Well, today is my first ever Squishy S Day, which I'm still trying to define but my goal is to keep sanity throughout my weekend.

B: Smoothie same as other days but had more of it. It has about 30 g of carbs, 8 g protein, 3 g fat. Hmmmm, maybe too carby. But sure is good.
L: tuna fish sandwich. Squishy in having bread (really been avoiding that on regular N Days), and also having some doritos with it.
D: hubby and I are heading out for a date night. I checked out the menu and I'm looking at either the fish tacos or the blue cheese burger. Lesson learned from a few weeks ago -- if I get the burger, I should only eat half. And going to drink a bunch of water BEFORE eating (rather than after!!!)

OK, update -- I did well at the restaurant. I had fish tacos for my entree. Squishy S Days included crackers with brie (the appetizer). Had 3 onion rings off my husband's plate.

But then......called my mother-in-law and found out her brother had died. Walked into the house (on the phone) and proceeded to eat 2 cookies and like a cup of raw cookie dough (my 12 year old had been making cookies). Argh!!!! Massive fail, but it's almost laughable how the emotional toll sent me straight to the crap food.

Whatever. Mark it and move on. Tomorrow isn't squishy, it's a pure S Day.
I'm not sure what to make of my first squishy S Day.

Last edited by automatedeating on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
automatedeating

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, S Day

B: cookie, bacon, egg & cheese sandwich, coffee w/ milk
L: cookie dough (my kids made cookies 2 dang days in a row)
D: beef brisket, 1 triangle of quesadilla
1 glass of wine

NoStress: Practiced some deep breathing exercises.

Also went on a great woodsy hike with dog.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure I had posted an entire discussion here. LOL, I wonder if it's on someone else's thread? If so, I apologize.

I just found the COOLEST article -- check this out!!! (Note -- when they say "training" they don't mean exercise, they mean practicing estimation of blood sugar and then measuring):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1702540/

Here is the abstract:

Quote:
Abstract
Background
The will to eat is a decision associated with conditioned responses and with unconditioned body sensations that reflect changes in metabolic biomarkers. Here, we investigate whether this decision can be delayed until blood glucose is allowed to fall to low levels, when presumably feeding behavior is mostly unconditioned. Following such an eating pattern might avoid some of the metabolic risk factors that are associated with high glycemia.

Results
In this 7-week study, patients were trained to estimate their blood glucose at meal times by associating feelings of hunger with glycemic levels determined by standard blood glucose monitors and to eat only when glycemia was < 85 mg/dL. At the end of the 7-week training period, estimated and measured glycemic values were found to be linearly correlated in the trained group (r = 0.82; p = 0.0001) but not in the control (untrained) group (r = 0.10; p = 0.40). Fewer subjects in the trained group were hungry than those in the control group (p = 0.001). The 18 hungry subjects of the trained group had significantly lower glucose levels (80.1 ± 6.3 mg/dL) than the 42 hungry control subjects (89.2 ± 10.2 mg/dL; p = 0.01). Moreover, the trained hungry subjects estimated their glycemia (78.1 ± 6.7 mg/dL; estimation error: 3.2 ± 2.4% of the measured glycemia) more accurately than the control hungry subjects (75.9 ± 9.8 mg/dL; estimation error: 16.7 ± 11.0%; p = 0.0001). Also the estimation error of the entire trained group (4.7 ± 3.6%) was significantly lower than that of the control group (17.1 ± 11.5%; p = 0.0001). A value of glycemia at initial feelings of hunger was provisionally identified as 87 mg/dL. Below this level, estimation showed lower error in both trained (p = 0.04) and control subjects (p = 0.001).

Conclusion
Subjects could be trained to accurately estimate their blood glucose and to recognize their sensations of initial hunger at low glucose concentrations. These results suggest that it is possible to make a behavioral distinction between unconditioned and conditioned hunger, and to achieve a cognitive will to eat by training.

Bwahaha! So I'm basically going to do this experiment on myself. I have a glucose monitor and I want to see how low I can get my sugars before meals. It should provide entertainment for some of you for a couple of weeks. Smile

B: bacon & eggs
bought glucose monitor
L: bg 101 before eating
Ate: salad, olives, cheese, chicken, tomatoes, onions, olive oil & balsamic vinegar
45 minutes after - bg 127
4.5 hours after eating -- bg 89
glass of wine -- then 30 minutes bg 94
D: bg _94___ before eating
dinner will be fish
I really needed some carbs w/this meal, for the texture or something. Rest of family had rice-a-roni, which of course I'm avoiding w/ my no refined carbs mod. So I had a hard tortilla shell and put fish in it. That worked pretty well!
1 hr postprandial - 94
2 hrs postprandial -
I am curious about my 1 hr/2 hr postprandial numbers. I've read that early diabetics lose the "phase 1 insulin" but are fine with phase 2 (in other words, blood sugars might spike but then actually go a bit low). Watching with curiousity. This is a perfect hobby for me. LOL, it keeps me from getting a puppy.

Last edited by automatedeating on Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
ladybird30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea.
Friyay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the blood sugar. For me, I start to feel a little spacy around 70, and if I feel really awful it's in the 50s. Anything much above 70 and I can't tell.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday, March 27th

Fasting BG: 81
B: coffee w/milk - up to BG 95
L: giant salad with chicken, olives, sour cream, cheese BG before/after: 76/120
D: grilled tuna fish/cheese sandwich and broccoli
2 glasses of wine
Octavia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Surprised That blood sugar article! Are doing doing the experiment? Do share your findings with us, Auto!
worth it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto- I’m watching almost with obsession! I can’t quite put my finger on it, but you are creative in a very special way... I tend to look for clues to peoples strengths from their communication (your posts), and yours is such a unique combination of an almost facts-and-numbers-based creativity. So cool.

This is of special importance to me since my mom is diabetic. I am constantly reading up on it and trying to help her be her healthiest self, and your results should be very interesting info that I can share with her. Thank you!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this No S team!!! ❤️❤️❤️
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! The pressure is on for me to "stick" with the blood sugar "sticking" for a few weeks and report. Ha!

OK, so today:

Fasting: 93
B: small smoothie (whole fat greek yogurt, peanut butter, blueberries -- we were out of strawberries & bananas)
Before lunch: 105
reflection -- not too hungry, but I still ate lunch. Compare that with yesterday, when my BG was down to 76 before lunch and I was STARVING. Still remains to be seen if the level itself has any correlation with hunger, or (as I suspect) it's more the rapid change that affects my hunger. And honestly, something as simple as how empty my stomach is (duh, in a way, yes? If that's the case, our NoS strategy should be to eat stuff that digests very slowly -- ideally fat & protein)
L: GIANT salad, avocado slices, cheese, olive oil & vinegar
BG 2 hours post-salad: 99
D: 3 corn tortillas w/ beans, cheese, sour cream, chicken, avocado
Sounds carby - yes? But....BG 2 hours post meal: 95 that's a beaut!
2 glasses of wine very slowly sipped for the past 3 hours, so not sure about how they affect BG. I think they do, but I'll have to wait for days without wine to compare.
Oh -- forgot to report FAIL -- I nibbled at shredded chicken as I passed by in the kitchen. Mad
Puppy fever ebbed but is now back with a vengeance. I've been researching Vizslas all day. Smile Comparing them to Aussies (we already have one Aussie).
worth it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. no pressure (please) 🙂

You are still cool in my book no matter how much you can post (or not). 😉
Friyay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely have episodes of hypoglycemia, and over the years I've learned to distinguish three kinds of hunger: low blood sugar hunger, empty belly hunger, and actual calorie deficit hunger. Low blood sugar comes with a spacy sense of unreality. Empty belly hunger is growling and cramping. Real calorie deficit is when you're ready to pounce on the first nutritive substance you see, and your mouth waters.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ladies for the feedback. I don't feel too much pressure, worth it! Smile It's fun to have a little experiment to perform.

Friyay, very interesting your observations. I virtually NEVER get the spacey feeling (doubt my blood sugar ever goes below 70), and I don't know that I've really ever felt the calorie deficit ready to pounce!! Haha! I do daily get the empty belly feeling/growling when I'm following NoS consistently. In fact, it's the lack of that empty belly feeling that typically alerts me that I'm gaining weight. As many other posters have also observed on this forum, if I'm not experiencing some (mild) hunger daily, I'm gaining. Mild daily hunger between meals at least means I'm maintaining (thankfully!!!).

Other observations over the past few days -- I might get the belly feeling of hunger about 2 hours after the meal, but then it subsides for another couple of hours (assuming I ignore it, which I do). I wonder if that 2 hour thing is when my belly has just finished emptying from the previous meal? And then I just have to wait a few minutes to calibrate to emptiness for a few hours. Maybe I'm literally "feeling" the metabolic switch from glucose burning to fat burning, which in my case could be sluggish. LOL.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help! I'm hungry and the family ordered pizza. It'll be here soon. What do I do? I'm avoiding refined carbs on N Days.....yikes!!!!!!
automatedeating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I made it.

B: coffee w/milk, avocado on toast
L: chicken, sour cream, avocado eaten over a crushed tortilla shell
D: 4 corn tortillas w/beans, cheese, sour cream, avocado (this instead of the rest of the family eating pizza)
2 glasses of wine
worth it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did it!! Go AUTO!

...And dinner looked pretty darn delicious (especially the vino)🙃! Seems like a good trade-off for not having pizza.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks worth it! I was pretty pleased with myself.

B: avocado on toast, coffee w/milk
My pre-lunch BG was 108, which seemed a little high since I hadn't eaten in 5 hours.
L: big salad, hard-boiled egg, cheese, olive oil & vinegar
D: pork tenderloin w/applesmoked bacon, black beans & sour cream
Octavia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Auto,
Enjoying all these discussions on the different types of hunger. I get all three you describe - the spaced out feeling, the growly tummy, the vicious desperation feeling. Wouldn’t it be great if we could really know what’s going on in there? I think it was Proust who said that trying to understand one’s own body is like trying to communicate with an octopus. Laughing

I like your analysis though - it certainly chimes with my experiences. I am going to bear it in mind this coming week.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a rough few days. Thought I'd better check in before things get out of hand.

Saturday -- can't remember everything I ate but I wouldn't be surprised if I ate 3000 calories:
B: 4 pieces of toast w/ 4 soft-boiled eggs (the second two pieces were because I was wanting junk and I thought if I ate more healthy stuff I'd resist -- no such outcome)
ice cream drumstick -- fudge center. Was delicious, honestly. Just that I kept eating the rest of the day.
L: hot dog w/ chips
D: hamburger & tator tots (again, delicious -- my husband made the burgers and we had fun toppings)
another ice cream drumstick
glass of wine and a bunch of candy as I prepared the kids' baskets

Sunday was bad, too, although I don't think I ate as many calories overall
B: soft-boiled eggs on toast
L: some chocolates, some licorice, other candies
D: taco meat, cheese burrrito w/ sour cream
ice cream drumstick

Now here I am, Monday morning, and I am staying home from work because I came down with a cold on Saturday (I sometimes wonder why when I get a cold I go totally crazy with my eating -- most people I know lose their appetite. I seem to go into carbo-crazy mode)
B: few slices of apples, coffee w/milk
FAIL -- ate 3 chocolates from kids' baskets (dang it!)
So this is where I'm at -- looking to avoid the WTH response and have a normal N day from here on out.
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear I can so easily eat 3k calories in a day. I sometimes think that those daily averages must be way off. Even with intermittent Fasting I’m easily eating 1500-2000 calories a day. Or maybe I’m just a big eater. ☺️

Hope your cold goes away soon!

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
4/18-157.4 lbs

Current weight: 157.4 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
worth it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG auto- I ALWAYS overeat (even binge sometimes) when I have a cold. I know how you feel. It’s almost like we’re trying to make ourselves feel better-or maybe even feel worse? No clue what to do about it, just wanted to empathize I guess.😕

I hope you feel better soon- seems like something is going around again, but only lasts for 3-5 days. Hugs!!
automatedeating

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here I am. My goodness I've gone off the rails.

2 weeks with this cold. Last week I ate SO badly. This week I've stuck with vanilla NoS but I've been eating refined carbs. So like 8 red days, really. Ugh.

I weighed myself this morning to assess the damage of my wild weeks: 142.7/BMI 26.1. So about a 3 pound gain. I was totally not surprised, but it is still sad.

Like worth it said, I think I'm trying to make myself feel better. I sense that this is a DEEP-rooted coping mechanism, going back to my childhood. I was such a driven kid, I never wanted to slow down when I was sick. Food can be used to provide quick energy, especially carby food. So I think I learned that it (successfully) helped me keep driving hard despite my illness. And here I am now as an adult struggling mightily with overeating when I'm ill.

I can honestly say that that urge to eat junk (like McDonald's burger & fries) while sick is one that I feel almost powerless to withstand. On the bright side, I've never before honestly analyzed this habit. So maybe my next cold I will be prepared and can plan to, for example, get delicious Thai take-out instead of McDonald's. So, still an indulgent "self-care" mechanism, but healthier than McD's or other crap I've eaten.

Just a quick pity party. I HATE 142.7.
worth it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto:

I hope that the worst is over and that you are feeling better. Sorry the cold lasted so long! Ugh.

Interesting analysis on the "quick energy" that can come from the carby foods- Makes total (reasonable and logical) sense.

I know you're not pleased with the results, however, I think as soon as you are ready to get back on your personalized No S plan that the excess will come off quickly.

Hugs!
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you’re feeling better! Remember sick days are S days!

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
4/18-157.4 lbs

Current weight: 157.4 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: