Beginning weight gain

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Heelsgirl1231

Beginning weight gain

Post by Heelsgirl1231 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:57 am

So I just started this journey on Monday. I have done well so far with my eating - three meals with no sweets or seconds. I got on the scale today and was up close to 2 lbs. Is this common at the beginning? I didn't think I was overeating or having too many calories in my three meals. I have been overweight most of my life and have gone back and forth between Weight Watchers and some form of low carb for probably close to 30 years. I am hoping this will help me lose some weight but even more, have a better relationship with food and eating. I would love to hear from some of you long timer No S'ers. Thanks, Yall!

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:23 am

I know that there are people who at first have gained weight, although it has not been my case. I would not discourage you and continue, if you really want to have a good relationship with food, No S is your plan.

On the weight, you can also track it daily and use some kind of graph to observe the trend, like TrendWeight, but without obsessing, this has done me some damage.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 am

2 lbs in 3 days is probably water weight, especially if you just abandoned low carb. Could also be fibre related, PMS, or just one of those things.

My weight usually varies 2 or 3 lbs in a month. It's the long term trend that counts.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 pm

I have to agree with the others. That much weight in a week is probably not overeating. I encourage you to stick with the program a minimum of a month to see how things fall into place. This is a program that can teach a lot about living in peace with yourself but it certainly doesn't happen quickly (think months/years not days/weeks) and you'll most likely have to commit to the long haul in order to see the benefits.

Best of luck to you and kind regards

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:02 am

If changing your relationship with food is paramount for you, and it was for me, I suggest putting the scale aside for now, and giving yourself permission to lay the groundwork for possible weight loss later after you have established a satisfying pattern. Feeling that better eating is rewarded only by weight loss is a prime reason people don't stick with plans long enough to get more acclimated to eating less happily. They have to feel that there are payoffs really important to them even when there isn't weight loss to keep going.

Think hard about what you think this offers you, something different than your decades of WW and low carb. Did they get you what you wanted? If this doesn't work for weight loss, do you think you could surrender to either one of them?

I think you see that you are getting a similar message from the long termers.

Keeping track of the weight trend can work IF you can divorce yourself from the disappointment and frustration habits so many constant dieters have formed over the years. If not, you're better off with giving the attention to tracking the habits only, not the results.

Stick with it!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)