I can’t find my check in thread - Octavia

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Octavia

I can’t find my check in thread - Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

I hope this is some sort of blip - can’t find my check in thread! Habitcal is still there. Could it have been accidentally deleted? Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe I’m just not seeing it.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 pm

That's odd. There were some more spam posts, wonder if it accidentally got deleted

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 pm

OK...trying not to panic. I will simply start a new check in here....until hopefully I find the old one.

Decent day, eating wise. Slightly joyless otherwise - spent the morning sorting DD’s manic, messy room, throwing out clothes galore, and trying to create order. Then DD was angry with me for throwing away a particular bikini. Was amazed that she even remembered it! Then did lots of computer-bound work, fetched car from garage, paid enormous bill, ran DD to Ballet, missed my own music class, carried on working and here I am.

As I walked round to pick up the car, I recognised the gnawing, tense emptiness that at one point would have been soothed by food. I wasn’t tempted, and I thought how strange it is to not be tempted. What has changed? In the old days, my head would have been something like this: ‘You might as well eat it now, then you can forget about it, because it’ll get in your mouth sooner or later! And besides, you’re not that big, you are normal, and a lot of women are fatter. And who can tell the difference between a size 12 and a 14? And no one will look at you even if you do lose weight. And if you resist this one time, how is that going to help? You’ll have to keep on resisting over and over again, which is impossible. And what else do you have to look forward to today?...’ etc etc. Phew, my head was a busy place. Now though, I just think of the Habitcal, and think of the weekend ahead, and consider how eating a snack will somehow mess up the balance of my day. I don’t have to even think about weight loss. What a miracle!

I’m now going to log onto No S via my laptop and see if my check-in thread might have re-materialised.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks, Soprano! If it doesn’t turn up, I’ll email Reinhard.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 03, 2018 2:07 am

I bumped it.

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu May 03, 2018 5:04 am

Octavia wrote:
As I walked round to pick up the car, I recognised the gnawing, tense emptiness that at one point would have been soothed by food. I wasn’t tempted, and I thought how strange it is to not be tempted. What has changed? In the old days, my head would have been something like this: ‘You might as well eat it now, then you can forget about it, because it’ll get in your mouth sooner or later! And besides, you’re not that big, you are normal, and a lot of women are fatter. And who can tell the difference between a size 12 and a 14? And no one will look at you even if you do lose weight. And if you resist this one time, how is that going to help? You’ll have to keep on resisting over and over again, which is impossible. And what else do you have to look forward to today?...’ etc etc. Phew, my head was a busy place. Now though, I just think of the Habitcal, and think of the weekend ahead, and consider how eating a snack will somehow mess up the balance of my day. I don’t have to even think about weight loss. What a miracle!
It's fantastic!!!!! Congratulations!

I see myself reflected in what you say, now my situations of daily stress do not lead me to overeat ... :)

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Thu May 03, 2018 9:44 am

Kathleen, thank you - where was it? How did you find it? I looked everywhere! You are a star. ðŸ’

Hi Dalia, thanks for popping by again, and great that you are also experiencing this magical change!

Right, I’m abandoning this thread now and going back to my proper one. :D :oops: