Shovelglove Meditation

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
beginagain

Shovelglove Meditation

Post by beginagain » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi, I'm just starting out and picked up my 6# sledgehammer. It has been "ready to go", wrapped snugly with light blue socks and caught my eye today. I picked it up and began the canoe moves I'd seen and some of the canonical moves. I'm telling myself, "do it for the love of it, really shovel dirt, push the canoe away from the dock, now back the canoe up, and paddle away! Drive down those fence posts, churn up some butter......".
So my goal is to enjoy the practice of it, without expectation. That seems like a better motivator than even getting strong or fit. Because those type of results can take awhile, and I can easily lose motivation if my expectations aren't forthcoming.
But I know even with that being said, encouragement from others is very motivating too.
Anglican

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:31 am

"... enjoy the practice of it, without expectation." What a terrific attitude with which to approach all of this :) .
"I don't want my pain erased. As wretched as it is, I need my pain. It makes me who I am. It makes me... Grumpy."

beginagain

Post by beginagain » Tue May 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you Grumpy!
I'm having to shovelglove a little bit each time because I get sore easily. So I'm not a full shovelglover yet. But will get there!
Anglican

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Every increment counts. If you're holding that sledgehammer and doing the work, you are a "full shovelglover" in my book.
"I don't want my pain erased. As wretched as it is, I need my pain. It makes me who I am. It makes me... Grumpy."

beginagain

Post by beginagain » Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Thank you, Grumpy, I appreciate that!
Anglican

beginagain

Post by beginagain » Thu May 03, 2018 3:10 pm

I am so excited! I just finished my first 14 minutes of shovelglove. Yesterday, even though I was still sore, and apprehensive about doing this at 58 (afraid of injuring myself) , I worked at it for an undetermined length of time. Carefully. But feeling good today, and desirous to perform these habit forming fun movements, discovered the perfect prop. A box on a chair weighted down with papers (intended to throw away). This cardboard box gives me something to push at and brush up against when shoveling, and the top rim of the box is perfect to use as wood to chop on. I don't hit it hard, it's just a prop.
Now I am completely confident that shovelglove is safe for me. The soreness is starting to feel good. The fun of it kept drawing me back, even when I thought I was too old and might hurt myself. So I am so excited. This and Urban Ranger are my activity's.🔨🚶
Anglican

beginagain

Post by beginagain » Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 pm

I have decided not to use any props. My imagination only. And really it is more meditative that way.
I am only performing the 3 canonical moves now, not that the canoe won't come back into the routine. Want to follow Reinhard's basic moves and get really good at them: Chop Wood, Churn Butter, and Shovel ( for me it's mentally dirt....I live in Texas after all!) Feeling stronger!
Anglican

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Excellent... keep up the good work :) .

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:19 pm

First off, sorry it's taken me forever to pop in here.

Secondly, I love your "Zen of Shovelglove" attitude. I tell people in the No S group "Eat moderately, see what happens" rather than fixating on results, and with exercise this kind of detachment is just as helpful.

Thirdly, congratulations on what sounds like a great start with shovelgloving. Hope it's still going well!