Intelligent Dietary Defaults

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Intelligent Dietary Defaults

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:40 pm

New podcast segment:
Convenience is stronger than you are. Accept this fact. But with a little planning, the convenient thing doesn't have to be too awful. Case in point: 'optimize your oatmeal.'
http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=23

(not no-s specific, but most relevant to No-s so I thought I'd post it here)

Reinhard

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:38 pm

Interesting. Very similar to what my business partner and I do at work for breakfast and lunch (if we're not entertaining clients). The dry cereal and oatmeal part is easy, but have our own refrigerator, so a can of tuna fish, mayo, with some fruit, veggies and nuts make a quick, convenient. Co-workers ask us if they can buy feed bags for us and make other snide comments, but it sure beats the chinese food and other lunch specials they have delivered!

Ray

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Excellent podcast. I really liked this one.

I had an early lunch because for some reason my short workout left me unable to concentrate on work. So at 11am I heated up leftover oatmeal loaded with natural peanut butter and I couldn't finish it. It's been two hours and miraculously I haven't thought of food at all (I usually do).

Very fitting that you brought this to our attention today. I'm definitely going to start making it a daily meal (for myself, breakfast. I like the long cooking oats - only takes about 10 minutes which I put on the stove while I get ready. School doesn't have facilities to even pour hot water :S)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:36 pm

I like this podcase. I have "default meals" too - particularly for lunch and breakfast. Since I get bored, I have a handful that I rotate. (And one is oatmeal, lol!)

Really like the computer analogies - works very well. I wish we used more "intelligent defaults" in a LOT of places!

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 pm

I love you Reinhard, but if I had to eat oatmeal for lunch or even breakfast I think I would go crazy :lol:

P.S. If I ate oatmeal, I probably wouldn't have a weight problem
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:51 pm

An alternative to oatmeal is a good, relatively low in sugar muesli (they are out there!). I add milk to mine and put it in the microwave for 1 minute. It doesn't make it hot or porridge-y, but it does warm it a little and make the muesli softer (and reconstitute the fruit).

I keep cereal and soups at work - we have milk in our kitchenette and I can buy a roll at a bakery to have with a soup. Good for the second half of the payweek, when I have spent the weekend having a marvellous time and have no money left!

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Thu May 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks for sharing, I like your logical approach to things and what you say makes sense!

I had porridge for breakfast this morning coincidentally.