Second Verse, Not Quite the Same as the First

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Starla

Second Verse, Not Quite the Same as the First

Post by Starla » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Today is my two-year anniversary of starting NO S. You can read my far more inspirational first-year testimonial here: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6745

My second year has been much different than my first, and not in a good way. I've tended to blame it on stress and change - a new house, an unexpected death, the beginning of menopause, an injury to my walking partner. But the truth is - that's just life, isn't it? Things happen. The truth is that I eat way too much on S days. I rarely post or use HabitCal. I don't exercise. The truth is that I've lost any sense of urgency. I read my first year testimonial, and how I listened to the song "One Last Chance," and I remember playing it over and over and over. I had an overwhelming sense that something had to change, and it had to change now. That's gone.

Do I sound like an engaged, committed No S'er? I am not. But the silver lining in my little black cloud is that I'm still a creature of the habits I developed during my first year. I eat three meals a day with no snacks or sweets. I think I had only five failures during the year. In terms of weight - I weigh 0.2 pounds more than I did a year ago, so my total weight loss is at 65 pounds. I know that maintaining that weight loss is an accomplishment.

I have not had a weight loss goal on No S. I have always told myself that I wanted to eat and exercise moderately, and that I would be happy with whatever weight I ended up at. My disappointment with myself is because I am not living in moderation. Just writing this down makes things a little clearer for me, and maybe that will help.

Please don't let my problems discourage you! I hesitated about posting, but I always think the truth is best.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm sorry you've had a rough time, and I'm glad you want to be accurate in your reporting, but the truth isn't as negative as all that.

You had a really rough year -- the type of year that will often pack on the pounds. And yet...

It didn't. The habits helped.

That's pretty awesome when you think about it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:57 pm

boo tough year! yay excellent maintenance!

I very much appreciated this yearly update. Losing a sense of direction isn't great, but keeping every other success is awesome.
Looking for intelligent daily defaults of all kinds.
http://claricaandthequestion.blogspot.com/

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:33 am

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Maintaining a 65 lb weight loss is AMAZING. You're a statistical anomaly - virtually everyone who loses that much gains it back again but you didn't. Why? Because all that work you did in developing good habits has really paid off.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:05 pm

I agree with Sheepish!!

And you have maintained your N days habits..how great is that...

And best part is you lost 65lbs and kept it off that is much harder than losing they say..

Don't lose faith, you'll find your groove again!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Staria,

Flashy, this testimonial may not be -- but it's deeply impressive.

It reflects well both on the system and (even more) on yourself.

I think it's pretty amazing that you were able to get through this all without gaining weight.

Still, impressive as it was, for your own sake I wish you a much easier year going forward!

Thank you for letting us know and congratulations on sticking with it through such a tough time,

Reinhard

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Starla,
Thanks for posting this, and Kudos to you for losing and maintaining 65 lbs. Maybe you really are at your ideal weight??
Patty
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 pm

I think this is an amazing testimony. This is No S on Real Life. The whole point is to get everything so ingrained that you don't need to be a committed No Ser. It's no longer what you do but who you are. Well done!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:47 pm

I found your post encouraging ...not discouraging.

I had a rough year in 2010 and gained 20 lbs. At the end of 2010, I started No S, and it has literally been a lifesaver.

If I ever have another super stressful year, I hope I am able maintain the habits I have learned....like you have been able to.

Great job!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm sorry you've had such a challenging year. You have done brilliantly maintaining, and having so few failures, when you have been dealing with all these stresses and strains. An inspiration!
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:18 pm

I know it's been a few years..... but I think about you often. Your first year testimonial is what hooked me to NoS. I have been off and on NoS for years now.... but that's been me and my own diet head, not the plan. I hope you're doing well. And I hope some day you come back and tell us you're doing ok...NoS or not! Your fire on here was contagious!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Thu May 10, 2018 12:17 pm

It's great that you still managed to maintain, I wish you all the best for the future on No S!