Zinged my back this morning

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
srbliss

Zinged my back this morning

Post by srbliss » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:59 pm

I was at about 12 minutes into my shugging routing this morning when I started driving fence posts, I made a note that "these are really working my lower back muscles" it felt good - then bam! The muscles behind my right shoulder blade are all knotted up charley horse like. I am certain that this is a pinched nerve issue as I have have it before (it was MUCH more painful back then.)

I was not going crazy and out of control, just nice smooth easy movements. It still did me in. I think I will no longer drive fence posts and will find something else to get those back muscles strong.

I think it would be wise to skip driving fence posts if you have a weak or bad back (like mine - I have a "squished" but not ruptured disk.)

david

Post by david » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:52 pm

I think you should skip shovelglove altogether if you have a weak or bad back. Do something else that doesn't put so much shear force on your spine until you are strong enough to pick up a hammer and swing it.

JMO

--david

srbliss

Ouch

Post by srbliss » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:31 pm

For me all of the other moves feel great. :D It's only drive fence posts that I notice at all. My shoulder is already back to 75% after only 9 hours.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:47 pm

Ouch. Sorry about that.

Hope you recover quickly...

I'll add some warnings to the drive fence posts page pronto.

Reinhard

srbliss

ouch

Post by srbliss » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:21 am

My back is almost good as new. I'll be good to go in the morning.
Steve

phayze

Post by phayze » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:52 am

Yikes! Good call on skipping the fence posts for a while. I'm glad you're recovering quickly, though.

I think that the stopping action at the end of the swing really pulls on your shoulders with that one, which feels pretty good as long as you don't over do it. I think it's also important to make sure you're stopping it with your elbow still flexed and your back straight so that your reduce the jerking on the spine and neck. Control is very important here!

I say take a week or two off from the posts and work some rowing motions or "pulling weed", then start bringing the posts back in slowly - like maybe a third of the reps you've been doing. You can increase slowly from there to give your disks time to adjust. Not that I'm a fitness expert or anything - I just read a lot and this what I've picked up.

Good luck!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:05 pm

OK, I just added the warning with a link to this thread.

Sorry again and thanks for letting us know so hopefully at least a few others won't repeat your experience.

Reinhard

srbliss

Ouch

Post by srbliss » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Well, I felt pretty good today so I did my full routine (20 no names - that was tough) without driving fence posts. No problem at all - felt great, I even did 40 pushups at the end.
Steve

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:01 am

Hi SR Bliss! Hope you are feeling better! May I suggest you get a massage! :wink:

Reinhard, all weight lifting exercises, have the potential to aggravate lingering conditions in our muscles and put stress on us, which can cause pain..
SR did the right thing, which was to listen to his pain, and skip that movement.. Again, Steve, hope you feel all better!

I know you are worried that people might hurt themselves here, but really, every movement in SG has that potential.. Anyway.. I personally don't think one persons experience necessitates a caveat for that particular exercise..
I have never had that pain occur..
It's specific to SR's personal state of being..

I didn't look at your warning, so maybe I should, but all I'm saying is that I think a general disclaimer is really most appropriate.. Otherwise you'll be chasing down every knot, pinched nerve, and twinged muscle that goes with every SG movement for an infinite amount of SG'ers on the planet..

Just my twenty cents! :wink:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

srbliss

ouch

Post by srbliss » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:06 pm

I think the stress is caused by the stopping motion as mentioned by phayze. I know from experience that I cant beat the tar out of something with a sledge - no stopping involved.
I looked at the warning and think it is a good idea. This movement is the only one that I really feel any strain while performing it.

I do plan on getting a nice massage as a gift to myself when I reach the 2x21day club.

Steve

david

Post by david » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:34 pm

I am in complete agreement with Deb.

--david

srbliss

Post by srbliss » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:09 am

david wrote:I am in complete agreement with Deb.

--david
The part about the massage I hope!!! :roll:
Started NOS and Shovelglove August 21, 2006.

srbliss

Update

Post by srbliss » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:06 pm

Since I "zinged" my back I have stopped doing the drive fence posts motion and I am happy to report that I have no back pain at all. I have even been doing dumbbell swings with a 40 pound dumbbell and just feel great.
Steve
Started NOS and Shovelglove August 21, 2006.