Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Blessings of Simplicity - Fasting for Weight Loss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what this means.
Kathleen
Soprano

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the site has been hit by a Spammer. I have sent a message to Reinhard

Jx

23/03/2018 11st 3.2lb
14/04/2018 10st 13.8lb (BF 37.5%)

Last edited by Soprano on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing that Soprano. So annoying !

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
4/18-157.4 lbs

Current weight: 153.2 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Kathleen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May, 2018: The Blessings of Simplicity starting May 1, 2018

Weight
Day 1 – Tuesday, May 1, 2018: 219.2
Day 2 – Wednesday, May 2, 2018: 218.2
Day 3 – Thursday, May 3, 2018: 218.6
Day 4 – Friday, May 4, 2018: 218.6
Day 5 – Saturday, May 5, 2018: 217.8
Day 6 – Sunday, May 6, 2018: 219.6
Day 7 – Monday, May 7, 2018:
Day 8 – Tuesday, May 8, 2018:
Day 9 – Wednesday, May 9, 2018: 216.4
Day 10 – Thursday, May 10, 2018: 214.4
Day 11 – Friday, May 11, 2018: 216.4
Day 12 – Saturday, May 12, 2018: 216.4
Day 13 – Sunday, May 13, 2018:
Day 14 – Monday, May 14, 2018:218.4
Day 15 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018: 218.2
Day 16 – Wednesday, May 16, 2018: 215.6
Day 17 – Thursday, May 17, 2018: 213.6
Day 18 – Friday, May 18, 2018: 215.0
Day 19 – Saturday, May 19, 2018: 215.6
Day 20 – Sunday, May 20, 2018: 217.0
Day 21 – Monday, May 21, 2018: 216.6
Day 22 – Tuesday, May 22, 2018: 217.6
Day 23 – Wednesday, May 23, 2018: 214.2
Day 24 – Thursday, May 24, 2018: 214.8
Day 25 – Friday, May 25, 2018: 213.8
Day 26 – Saturday, May 26, 2018: 215.8
Day 27 – Sunday, May 27, 2018:
Day 28 – Monday, May 28, 2018:
Day 29 – Tuesday, May 29, 2018:
Day 30 – Wednesday, May 30, 2018:
Day 31 – Thursday, May 31, 2018: 215.4

Journal
Day 1 – Tuesday, May 1, 2018: 219.2
It has been easy to adjust to a 1 - 7 PM eating window. I am not losing any weight. Why? Dr. Bert Herring, in his book, said about 90% of people who try a five hour eating window lose weight. He is puzzled why the other 10% don't. I fit in that 10%. Why am I not losing weight? Well, last night, it occurred to me that I already knew and had already written about it. I still am following the rule from my dieting days: "Eat everything you are allowed to eat." The eating window is more or less a free for all. I eat in 6 hours what I used to eat in 24. All those years of eating right to 1,500 calories when I was on a 1,500 calorie diet or right to 1,000 calories when I was on a 1,000 calorie diet are coming back to haunt me. I no longer need to count how many raisins I am eating. All I do is look at the clock. When the clock says I can eat, I eat. No. I need to evaluate if there is any other reason for my eating. There can be lots of reasons. I can like the food. I can be sharing a meal with someone. I can actually be hungry (rare). What I need to do is ask myself if the only reason I am eating is because I can and then maybe not eat because that isn't a very good reason.

Has this all been a waste? No. I have learned to exercise self-control in those 18 hours of fasting, and that self-control will serve me well as I try to avoid eating when the only reason why I am eating is because I can. I am still eating sweets but am preferring healthful food like a chickpea salad. That also is good. There is just one small problem: the habit of eating simply because I can.

Day 2 – Wednesday, May 2, 2018: 218.2
I was going to record when I started eating but decided against it. There are just too many variables that might affect when I eat. Yesterday was a truly bizarre example. I picked up doggie poop bags that turned out to be scented. The scent had such a bad effect on me that I asked Ellie to bring them to the garbage, and I went to bed for two hours. I got up at 7 and ate dinner. You just never know. This approach is adaptable. You aim for an eating window of 1 - 7 PM but it is totally fine if you eat outside of it.

Day 3 – Thursday, May 3, 2018: 218.6
I have become an observer of my own behavior because I am letting my body decide what and how much to eat. I am on my third bag of grapefruit in about a week. I estimate I have had about 14 entire grapefruit in a week. Why? I have no idea. I developed a dislike for grapefruit because it was something recommended for many diets as a high volume relatively low calorie food. I bet I've had as many grapefruit in the last week as in the last two years. Right after Easter, I wanted lots of jelly beans. It makes no sense to me, but it sure is not stressful to just eat what I want. Will I lose weight? I don't know, but I am more likely to lose weight craving grapefruit than craving jelly beans!

Day 4 – Friday, May 4, 2018: 218.6
It is discouraging to have lost so little weight -- about 8 pounds in almost a year -- but I feel as though I have nowhere else to go than to continue fasting. Every other weight loss approach has resulted in binge eating and weight rebound. What I am trying to do is focus on exercise. I am up to 3:45 seconds of fast walking.

Day 9 – Wednesday, May 9, 2018: 216.4
It has been almost a year (May 21) since I really committed to intermittent fasting, and I got tired of being in the 215 - 220 pound range since January. What I have concluded is that a daily eating window of 6 - 8 hours is a fantastic (read: easy) way to maintain weight, not to lose it.

At the end of December, I was sick for three days after walking in below zero weather to see my mother in law buried. My boots turned out not to be waterproof, and we had a four hour drive back home right after the burial. I did not eat for three days, and that is how my weight went below 220.

Yesterday, I decided to take the very conservative approach of a fast which includes one cup of bulletproof coffee (coffee with 1 tablespoon each of butter, coconut oil, and heavy whipping cream) and as much homemade bone broth as I can eat. Today is Day 2. I am going to go through Saturday at the most. My hope is I get below 215 and stay there for the next month.

The Dr. Fung fasting book says you can fast 7 days every month. I don't want to fast 7 days. I'm a little reluctant about driving past a 3 day fast, but I have done water fasting for 3 days and done fine. My biggest concern is driving. Can I fast this long and drive? Katie is in the process of moving home from college, so I probably will have to drive on Friday.

Day 10 – Thursday, May 10, 2018: 214.4
I started to feel cranky last night, so maybe I am going to start eating this afternoon. Maybe I can just do this little an amount of multi day fasting each month to lose weight. I don't know. It's an act of personal discovery -- or, as Dr. Bert Herring puts it, a study of one. I read all these success stories of people who just eat daily within a certain eating window of 4 or 5 or 6 or 8 hours and lose tons of weight. Not me. I have to accept that I need multi-day fasts.

8:15 AM: It is going to be a struggle to make it to 1 PM. I actually spent an entire month doing three 36 hour fasts per week. I did not lose weight. This was a modified fast because I had homemade bone broth and one cup of bulletproof coffee per day. If I make it to 1 PM today, I will have fasted about 60 hours. If I do this two times per month, maybe I can move the needle on the scale. That is what I'm considering doing now. It really wasn't too hard, and I gave myself a break also on fast walking. If I break my fast today, I can actually just have skipped one time of fast walking (since I walk three times per week). If I time it correctly, I can do 60 hour fasts and not skip any times of fast walking. Looking ahead to May 20, I can start a 60 hour fast on Sunday night at 7 PM, do fast walking at 7 AM, break the fast Wednesday at 1, and do fast walking on Thursday and Saturday. That could work!

Day 11 – Friday, May 11, 2018: 216.4
I am determined to be under 215 by the end of the month, so I plan to go on another 2 day fast starting on Sunday evening. I can then do fast walking on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. My maximum for number of days of fast walking is three times per week. This week, due to the fasting, I only did fast walking twice.

Day 12 – Saturday, May 12, 2018: 216.4
I am making beef broth and plan to start a 60 hour fast tomorrow after dinner until Wednesday morning. My expectation is I will then be in the 210 - 215 weight range which I will maintain through early June. I may then try to get below 210 in conjunction with preparing for my colonoscopy (due before my 60th birthday in October; planned so Tommy can go with me).
I am sick to death of being so fat. I want to be below 200 pounds before I renew my driver's license in October. My weight on my driver's license is currently 220.

Day 14 – Monday, May 14, 2018:218.4
I decided to do three day fasts every other week, which is what co-founder of IDM did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1q5gthksM

I cannot interrupt my life to lose weight. I can keep going with three day fasts.

6:30 PM: I made an abrupt decision an hour ago to eat in a one hour eating window every day and see how that turns out.

Day 15 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018: 218.2
I had personal training with Kayla today. She gave me a new exercise so that I can loosen my shoulders. She is stunned by how tense my shoulder muscles are. She has told me many times she thinks I need to see a therapist in order to lose weight. I don't mind. She is a sounding board for me. Today, I told her once again I think my problem is physical, and we discussed how quite unexpectedly my taste in food has changed. I speculated from what lpearlmom said that the reason is that my body now wants fat because it has gotten used to consuming fat during fasts. I then when and found this blog from Dr. Fung and sent it to her:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/obesity-solving-two-compartment-problem

This is the summary paragraph: "This explains the time dependence of obesity. That is, those that have been obese for a long time have a much, much harder time losing weight. Because their insulin resistance is high causing elevated insulin levels all the time."

I read that and thought: I have been obese for more than 15 years. It is going to be difficult for me to lose weight. My body has to be absolutely desperate in order to access fat. If I just fast for 16 or even 20 or 22 hours, that is not enough incentive for my body to access fat. Instead, it slows down. It is still using glycogen. My body needs a longer fast in order to have the incentive to access fat. A two day fast is enough time, I believe, for my body to go through the effort of accessing fat. Fasting is not enjoyable on the second day, but that means I have one unpleasant day per week. I can suffer through this. I think I need to suffer through this.

My changing tastes were a clue that my body is being changed by the fasting; however, I'll be dead before I'm thin at this rate. I don't even have a goal of being thin. I just don't want to be so fat I don't want to wear a swimsuit.

Day 16 – Wednesday, May 16, 2018: 215.6
My father, who passed away in January, was larger than life, so much so that it is actually difficult to believe he is gone. He had a parenting philosophy that you can "program" a child with "tapes" of what you want them to do. Looking back now, I see how much those "tapes" affected me. They affected all four of us. We are now collaborating on a document of Grandpop words, and we are up to 8 pages single spaced! An example is this: "Occasionally drunk at 25 is occasionally sober at 50." He grew up near three bachelor uncles who lived together and were alcoholics. He was terrified one of us would become an alcoholic. I heard that saying quite a bit. I did get drunk at college and in my early 20s. I never got drunk after I hit 25.

This morning, I realized there was another saying rattling around in my brain: "Fat makes you fat." From yesterday's conversation with Kayla, I realized that my body is learning, through fasting, to prefer fat over sugar. I realized this morning that the real hard truth is this: "Fat makes you thin." Holy cow. I think I've figured out why I became obese. My well-meaning father got it wrong. A body used to using fat for fuel will be very comfortable accessing fatty stores in the body. A body used to using fat for fuel will not present hunger signals to the brain but instead will access fatty stores in the body.

It is no fun to fast, but at least fasting ends. I remember our pastor giving a sermon on how Christ said, "When you fast", not "If you fast." Maybe fasting is necessary to keep the appetite in check, to make sure the body is accustomed to accessing fat. Dieting never ends. You are miserable right up until you give up and binge. I can hang on until tomorrow morning knowing I won't fast again until next week. Due to my schedule, I won't fast again until next Thursday.

Day 17 – Thursday, May 17, 2018: 213.6
I made it two days having only two cups of bulletproof coffee and homemade bone broth from beef bones. That was enough. It was easier yesterday than I feared. Maybe it was because I was really busy, or maybe it was because this was the second time I did it. At any rate, I'm not real thrilled about this approach to losing weight, but I'm desperate. Daily intermittent fasting did not result in weight loss. It makes sense that I may need to fast longer because of the long time my body has gotten used to sugar intake.

Day 18 – Friday, May 18, 2018: 215.0
My body is telling me I am doing too much. Yesterday, I had some diarrhea. This morning, I woke with a mild leg cramp. It took me a long time to fast walk 4:45 seconds. Yesterday, I broke my fast by having oatmeal at 6 am. I allowed myself to eat from 6 am through 7 pm and was surprised that I really did not want that much. I had the tiniest sliver of a cake Katie made because that is all I wanted. I happily everything I wanted, and that included a ginger ale that I enjoyed without guilt. It is so nice to eat what you want and as much as you want.

Now what? Next week, I think I'm going to try fasting all day Tuesday and Wednesday until Wednesday dinner when I will have oatmeal. I am going to have beef broth on Monday and Tuesday but try to be done with coffee before then. That means no bullet proof coffee during my fast. Coffee is trouble for me. I get dependent on it and have to have the right dose from morning to morning or I get a headache. No thank you. Because I just started drinking coffee again to have that bulletproof coffee, I think it will be easier to give up than when I gave it up two years ago.

Interestingly, my son brought up how he took a course that included nutrition. He was responding to my saying, "Fat makes you thin." He countered, "A calorie is a calorie is a calorie" and "You cannot deny the First Law of Thermodynamics." Cringe. My father used to say that as well.

I followed bad advice right into obesity.

9 PM: Tonight we went to Fogo de Chao as a celebration because Anne was home on her way to an internship in Oregon. I enjoyed having our family all together, of course, but I was totally turned off by the restaurant. This is an all you can eat place, and there were some people there topping 400 pounds. Not just one. Not just two. Several. We had people coming all the time to offer more food. It was too much. It was a lot of show. Ick. I wanted a slower pace and to enjoy the food on our plates. Has my approach to eating changed? Do I eat more slowly? I'm not sure. Maybe.

Day 19 – Saturday, May 19, 2018: 215.6
I cannot do my fast walking on Thursday next week, so I think I will fast walk tomorrow, fast Monday to Tuesday evening, have oatmeal Tuesday evening, and fast walk on Wednesday. I am not sure that fasting only 48 straight hours in a week will result in weight loss. I may need to fast 60 straight hours. This next week will be an experiment.

Day 21 – Monday, May 21, 2018: 216.6
I paid for a dinner tonight that is business-related but may send Tommy instead if he is willing to go. That allows me to fast today and tomorrow.

Yesterday, I bought some Trader Joe's milk chocolate covered pretzels and ate a bunch in the car on the way home. Last night, instead of having dinner, I had two cups of yogurt with strawberries. My body did not want anything else. I think this approach of two solid days of fasting may be a bit tough on my body, but it is resulting in weight loss. I certainly will not do more and may end up breaking my fast tomorrow night by having oatmeal. I have to muddle through and see what works for my body. Dr. Fung recommends against two day fasts because Day 2 tends to be the most difficult. The problem I have is that I can't fit longer fasts into my schedule.

This summer is going to be busy. We have four weekend car camping trips scheduled plus a week on a houseboat plus I am going to NJ (with my sister), CA (to visit my Mom), Oregon (with Ellie to visit Anne where she is interning), and Indiana (with Ellie and Katie to tour a college and visit Anne). I also have two days of dropping off and picking up Katie at camp. Looking at this schedule, I may just go to one full day of fasting and leave in place the daily 12 - 7 eating window. In other words, no eating on one full day and eating 12 - 7 on other days.

It's really clear to me why there is no one-size-fits-all diet. Diet has to fit into your life.

Day 22 – Tuesday, May 22, 2018: 217.6
I went to the dinner last night, so I will fast today and tomorrow. It looks like a two day fast per week results in about a pound a week in weight loss, which would be a great pace. Last night, I shoved on my wedding ring. I could wear it all night without feeling any sort of pain. My fast walking is reducing my ring size, I'm convinced of that, because the few pounds I have lost would not have made a difference. I've been at this weight before and unable to wear my wedding ring. It is tight, however, and may need to come off. I can barely turn it on my finger.

Because my high weight last week (weight as I began my two day fast) was 218.4 and today's weight just as I begin my two day fast is 217.6, I think I'll stick with a full two day fast and break my fast on Thursday morning rather than Wednesday night.

I'm having just about 1/2 cup of coffee today as I wean myself off coffee -- again. It seems to be easier to give up this go-around. I have a lot of driving ahead of me. I bet I put over 100 miles on the van just driving around with Katie to work, Ellie to school, and Katie to horseback riding lessons. Last week, I filled up the gas tank 3 times.

9 AM: My ring finger started to hurt when I was walking, so I came home and used Dawn and warm water to pull it off. I need to wait to wear my ring.

Day 23 – Wednesday, May 23, 2018: 214.2
It was easier yesterday to fast one full day than it was to fast one full day last week. I had bullet proof coffee and bone broth last week; yesterday, I had nothing but 8 ounces of coffee.

Brad Pilon is one of the early adopters of an intermittent fasting lifestyle. He has an email list, and I periodically get emails from him. This email came out this morning:

"Intermittent Fasting has become VERY popular in the main stream media over the last 6 months.

These things happen in cycles, the last time being around 2013.

In 2013, when Intermittent Fasting was a big topic in the news, we had all sorts of crazy stories about the ‘miracles’ of IF.

Then, as a result, we had the backlash, with clickbait articles about the dangers of IF, including IF not being good for women.

So now, Fasting is Big Again, so please be aware, the negative information will be coming again…

As an example, lets talk about the recent reports that fasting now causes Diabetes.

This comes from absolutely reckless and irresponsible reporting, using information gleaned from a poster presentation at a conference, not a published or reviewed study.

The study in question was also performed on Wistar Rats and they didn’t actually measure whether or not the rats had become diabetic. Importantly there as also no mention of a control group.

[[ As a note, please keep in mind my conflicts of interest are obvious, so I’m trying to report the facts as best I can, but keep in mind, I can’t help but have biases in this regard ]]

As we’ve discussed earlier, longer fasts (48 plus hours) can cause temporary and transient insulin resistance in humans, as it takes some time to switch from ‘fat burning’ to ‘glucose burning’ when your blood is high in free fatty acids.

The important point from these findings is that the insulin resistance induced by 48 hours of fasting is not associated with changes in three diabetes linked genes - Calpain 3, calpaan 10 and DARP, suggesting that it is mediated by increased blood FFA and NOT a change in insulin signalling / handling.

Finally, please do not let a single presentation on rats alter your reality. We should always be diligent, questioning what we think we know, but we should be just as cautious with bad news as we are with overly good news.

But at the same time, it is our duty to point out fake truths, otherwise they become reality .

Stay even keel on this - Fasting is a tool we use. It’s not magic, you don’t get to gorge on pizza and burgers just because you fast. However, from the human research, at this time it seems very unlikely that fasting will cause diabetes.

Your friend,

Brad"

10 AM: My breath really stinks which is a sign of ketosis. I decided to eat within the noon ot 7 PM window today.

1 PM: I'm full now, but in 1/2 hour, I had cottage cheese, 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, a bowl of mueslix, a bowl of Cheerios, and some Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream. Maybe I do need a 60 hour fast. This is a test. If I don't lose weight this week, I'll go back to a fast lasting all day Monday and Tuesday.

1:10 PM: And a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing which Ellie made. Wow. I did not eat like this after a 60 hour fast.

10 PM: I picked up Ellie from her daycare job at 6 PM, took her to Panera Bread for dinner, and then took her to a college night beginning at 7. I had zero interest in eating.

Perhaps I will lose weight just eating within a 12 - 7 PM window 6 days per week plus one day per week of not eating at all.

Day 24 – Thursday, May 24, 2018: 214.8
It is hard to tell at this point if just not eating one day is good enough. Today I ate early. I even had a vanilla latte. I felt like it, and that's OK.

Day 25 – Friday, May 25, 2018: 213.8
Maybe I just needed a longer fast to get me on track.

Day 27 – Sunday, May 27, 2018:
I ate breakfast yesterday morning, and I had snacks last night, and I had breakfast this morning. Now I appreciate that fasting does the opposite of what most people do: fasting actually decreases appetite. I'm back on track now but doubt I'll weight myself for a few days, out of concern that I would become discouraged.

Day 28 – Monday, May 28, 2018: 215.8
I decided to look at my weight and was pleasantly surprised that it was only 215.8 after two days of no fasting whatsoever. I learned something from the experience. I no longer like eating in the morning. This morning, I did have coffee with cream as a way to ease back into having no calories in the morning. It's Memorial Day morning, and I am procrastinating on doing fast walking. I need to get going. I really dislike the fast walking, but it is only 30 - 35 minutes of walking to get in 5 minutes of fast walking. Multiply that by 3 each week, and I am only looking at 90 minutes of disliking exercise. I can manage. HIIT seems key to good health. I sweat. I come home and bathe because I do not like AT ALL the feeling of sweat.

Day 29 – Tuesday, May 29, 2018:
I did not weigh myself this morning. I was mostly awake since about 2 am because my tinnitus was so loud and I experienced a noticeable decrease in hearing over the weekend. It was scary. Using an online hearing test, I get to see the deterioration of my hearing and not just suspect it or have my exasperated family tell me my hearing is getting worse. What to do? I went back to the months where my hearing seemed to have improved, between December 2015 and February 2016. I thought that it was my commitment to HIIT at that time that resulted in hearing improvement, but it cannot be because my hearing is deteriorating and I am doing HIIT three times per week. What else was I trying? I was trying a combination of honey and cinnamon which I had read might work from someone on Facebook who is the mother of one of Katie's friends. I did not like the idea of taking this stuff and quit at some point but I am not sure when. Luckily, I see from my nosdiet posting that I saw the Facebook post around December 3, 2015 and thought I could see improvement in hearing by December 15. It is unclear when I stopped taking cinnamon but it must have been fairly quickly because I did not even finish one container of cinnamon. I also was taking magnesium glycinate but I started taking that again about two weeks ago.

I'll try taking cinnamon and honey at least through when Ellie and I leave for Oregon on June 24.

Hearing loss was not even on my radar four years ago, and now it is so debilitating I could not go back to work. Tom tells me to get hearing aids. Wonderful. At the rate I am losing hearing, I could be completely deaf in a couple of years. That is why I am trying anything and everything.

Day 30 – Wednesday, May 30, 2018:
It's amazing how quickly I lost acclimation to skipping breakfast. I ate in the morning on Saturday and Sunday, and I am still dealing with the aftereffects. Yesterday, I had cream in my coffee and ate starting at 11:30. It is now 9:30 and so far today I've had one cup of black coffee.

Day 31 – Thursday, May 31, 2018: 215.4
I have not fasted until noon since last Friday, so I'm happy with my weight today. I have learned a lesson -- that consistency is important. We eat out breakfast once a month with other people, and I don't have problem returning to a morning fast after one breakfast. After two breakfasts in a row, I have had a lot of trouble. Yesterday I decided to have my honey and cinnamon at 10 and then fast until noon, but I became hungry and started eating at about 10:30. Today I am going to wait until at least 11 before having the honey and cinnamon.

Last edited by Kathleen on Thu May 31, 2018 11:39 am; edited 59 times in total
Soprano

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand the post above Kathleen?

Jx

23/03/2018 11st 3.2lb
Kathleen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Soprano,
I decided to set up the journal through the summer since it will be a busy summer -- trips to Oregon, California, and New Jersey; a week on a houseboat; four camping trips; taking Katie to and from camp five hours away... That is all. I will write something today.
Kathleen
Soprano

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen I really feel that until you get to the point where you are only eating in response to hunger you are going to struggle to lose and more importantly maintain any weight loss.

I'm not sure this fasting will work for you as if you only eat enough to satisfy your hunger during your fasting period it may not sustain you at other times.

Jx

23/03/2018 11st 3.2lb
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soprano: once you become fat adapted, you are not hungry when you are fasting. It takes about 2-3 weeks to use up your glycogen stores and then your body starts to use fat for energy. When your body is using fat for energy it sends satiety singals to your brain because it can sense it has plenty of energy.

I can easily go 40 hrs without food and only start to feel just a bit hungry towards the last couple of hours.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
4/18-157.4 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Soprano

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpearlmom wrote:
Soprano: once you become fat adapted, you are not hungry when you are fasting. It takes about 2-3 weeks to use up your glycogen stores and then your body starts to use fat for energy. When your body is using fat for energy it sends satiety singals to your brain because it can sense it has plenty of energy.

I can easily go 40 hrs without food and only start to feel just a bit hungry towards the last couple of hours.

I'd like to explore this further with you. I'll start a new thread though rather than take over Kathleen's Smile

Jx

23/03/2018 11st 3.2lb
Kathleen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soprano,
I will agree with lpearlmom on this one. I've gone multiple days of not eating and not feeling hunger. There is a French saying that roughly translates: "Eating creates hunger." I think it may be eating carbohydrates that leads to hunger but am not sure. You do have to get used to fating, but I find fasting way easier than calorie counting. It is also calming. I'm not sure how to describe this, but when I tried eating only when hungry, I was in a panic if I was not able to get to food right away. I would carry food in my purse, as a matter of fact. With fasting, you come to realize that you are not in immediate need of eating. If a meal time slips by an hour, so what? That is even true if the meal is at the end of a fast. Yesterday, for example, I met a friend for a late lunch. I'm not even sure when we started eating. It was not important. What was important was catching up with a friend. Now that is the way to live!

NoS is a form of fasting by the way because you fast between dinner and breakfast. It just isn't enough of a restriction for some like me who have been obese many years.

Kathleen
Kathleen

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June, 2018: The Blessings of Simplicity starting May 1, 2018

Weight
Day 32 – Friday, June 1, 2018:
Day 33 – Saturday, June 2, 2018: 215.8
Day 34 – Sunday, June 3, 2018: 215.4
47 - 44 - 47.25
Day 35 – Monday, June 4, 2018: 214.4
Day 36 – Tuesday, June 5, 2018:
Day 37 – Wednesday, June 6, 2018: ALL DAY FAST
Day 38 – Thursday, June 7, 2018: 212.4 ALL DAY FAST
Day 39 – Friday, June 8, 2018:210.2
Day 40 – Saturday, June 9, 2018: 211.6
Day 41 – Sunday, June 10, 2018:
Day 42 – Monday, June 11, 2018: 214.4
Day 43 – Tuesday, June 12, 2018: 214.2
Day 44 – Wednesday, June 13, 2018: 216.4
Day 45 – Thursday, June 14, 2018: 213.8
Day 46 – Friday, June 15, 2018: 213.4
Day 47 – Saturday, June 16, 2018:
Day 48 – Sunday, June 17, 2018:
Day 49 – Monday, June 18, 2018: 214.6
Day 50 – Tuesday, June 19, 2018:
Day 51 – Wednesday, June 20, 2018:
Day 52 – Thursday, June 21, 2018:
Day 53 – Friday, June 22, 2018:
Day 54 – Saturday, June 23, 2018:
Day 55 – Sunday, June 24, 2018:
Day 56 – Monday, June 25, 2018:
Day 57 – Tuesday, June 26, 2018:
Day 58 – Wednesday, June 27, 2018:
Day 59 – Thursday, June 28, 2018:
Day 60 – Friday, June 29, 2018:
Day 61 – Saturday, June 30, 2018:

Journal
Day 32 – Friday, June 1, 2018:
Yesterday, I got tired of my jeans being so loose. Since my jeans cost $15/pair at Costco, I donated them all and went and bought size 16 jeans to replace the donated size 18 jeans. I told Tom, and he said he was surprised. He's heard about dieting from time to time throughout our marriage with nothing to show for it. Could it be I have actually figured out how to lose weight?

9 AM: I am having a colonoscopy next week because I turn 60 in the fall and Tommy is home to take care of me so Tom doesn't have to miss a day of work. The timing is great. I cleared with Mayo that I can fast for three days instead of restricting my choice of foods. We will see if weight loss is sustained after the three day fast. After months of having a 12 - 7 eating window and losing no weight, I have concluded that I need periodic multi day fasts in order to lose weight but can maintain weight loss with daily eating window. We shall see.

Day 34 – Sunday, June 3, 2018: 215.4
I still have a tendency to eat just before my eating window closes. One thing I realized from my interchange with Soprano is I am not just showing German stubbornness by refusing to consider portion control or restriction on choice of foods. Instead, I have come to believe that the only way to sustain weight loss is to follow a practice that allows me to eat as much as I want of whatever I want. I tried intuitive eating for many years (bought the book at last 15 times and threw it out 15 times) and that is how I ended up with fasting. I still can eat as much as I want of whatever I want but not all the time.

Day 35 – Monday, June 4, 2018: 214.4
Yesterday, I ended up not eating until 2:30 pm and maybe that is why I went down a pound. I don't know. I had to haul Katie to a lake 45 miles away for scuba certification on both Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, I decided to stay in the area, attend church, walk at the Y, and eat lunch. The certification ended earlier than scheduled, which is why I did not have lunch. The nice thing about this way of eating is it is no big deal. I am now accustomed to having to wait to eat. I no longer get grumpy if my scheduled meal is delayed.

Day 36 – Tuesday, June 5, 2018:
I don't think I am going to weigh myself until after my colonoscopy on Friday. I will be down quite a bit of weight by then, and my hope is that I can maintain a weight under 210 until the beginning of July. I am starting to target a five pound weight loss per month, using a multi day fast to move the scale and the rest of the month to maintain that weight on the scale. The real time of actually losing the weight will occur when the scale is already showing a weight loss. This is hard to explain, but years ago I followed a Novena Diet approach to losing weight: I ate no more than 1,000 calories per day for nine days and then maintained the weight loss of five pounds for a month. Over time, I came to realize that that month of maintenance was when my body really lost the weight. What I am looking at now is a three day total fast as a substitute for the Novena Diet. With a three day fast, the first day is really easy. That means two days per month are difficult at all. For my Novena Diet, all nine days were torture. I got to the point where I just could not stand doing this. While I did lose almost all my pregnancy weight in 2002 (down to 150), it came back with a vengeance. I kept trying to follow the Novena Diet and kept failing and the weight just went up and up and up.

Day 37 – Wednesday, June 6, 2018:
I ate a ton yesterday in anticipating of not eating again until after my colonoscopy on Friday afternoon. This week is a perfect time for me to do little, as I am just making sure Katie is set for fall term in Spain and Ellie is enrolled for summer classes. I did fast walking yesterday and won't go again until Sunday at the earliest.

8:30 PM: Today was miserable. I realized that there is a big difference between fasting, knowing you can quit at any time, and fasting, knowing you have to continue as preparation for a colonoscopy. I am rethinking having three day fasts. They take away from life. I may try just doing a one day fast once a month or every other week. You only live about 30,000 days, and I just wasted one. It was a beautiful summer day, too. The dog got one walk.

Day 38 – Thursday, June 7, 2018: 212.4
It is only 8 AM, and I am tired. This will be a long day. Luckily, I can do little to nothing. The kids are having leftovers for dinner. I'm just making a salad and doing a little housework.

10:26 AM: Just now, for the first time since I was a teen, I feel confident I will have a healthy weight at some point in the future. Why? I wanted to make sure I had good food when I can eat on Saturday. What I picked out was white bean and avocado salad. As I was chopping the garlic, I suddenly realized I didn't even know what a chef knife was three years ago! Here I am, preparing a salad and looking forward to having it. Yes, I still like milk chocolate covered pretzels and coffee ice cream from Trader Joe's, but what I really wanted on Saturday was a salad!

I am reading a book called Blue Zone Solutions about how the obesity epidemic can be fixed in America so people can live longer, healthier lives. The solution, perhaps, is very simple: teach people to fast, and the rest follows. People also need to learn to cook. I missed out.

Now my youngest is taking culinary classes to learn how to cook. She likes them so much that she is taking classes over the summer so she has room in her schedule this fall to take culinary classes.

Day 39 – Friday, June 8, 2018: 210.2
Yesterday went fairly well, but I feel weak this morning. Tommy is taking me to Mayo so I am not driving, and I cannot drive home. Last night was instructive as to why multi day fasts don't work very well in a family. I had three meals for them, and a salad. Katie had the salad. Tommy and Ellie stopped at McDonalds. If there is not a family meal, our kids just graze. I goofed in forgetting Ellie had to play at the high school graduation or she could have had slopping joes. At any rate, Dr. Fung himself fasts until dinner when he can Monday through Friday. I may try that rather than a longer fast. I think I am going to aim to get to 205 and stay between 205 and 210. Having experienced the feeling of weighing just a little bit less, I want to weigh even less!

Day 40 – Saturday, June 9, 2018: 211.6
It turns out I could I could eat after my colonoscopy, so I did! This morning, I continue eating. I think I am solidly in the 210 - 215 weight range, and I'm not sure what I am going to do next.

Day 42 – Monday, June 11, 2018: 214.4
That fast was brutal. I think I'm going to accept being in the 210 - 215 range for awhile and maybe try to increase physical activity. The next two days need to be dedicated to getting Katie ready for camp and Spain. I just calculated she will be home five days after coming home from camp before going to Spain.

2 PM: I ate a lot in the last two hours in part in anticipation of possibly fasting all day Wednesday when taking Katie to camp. How ridiculous. My problem still is preventative eating. I think maybe I should settle into the 12 - 7 eating window and maybe focus more on physical activity.

8:30 PM: I weighed exactly the same last Monday as I did today. What does that tell me? "Diet backlash" occurs after significant fasting. I think, once again, that maybe it would be better for me not to vary the fasting but just settle into a 12 - 7 pm fasting window. I end up fasting about 18 hours because usually I don't start eating right at 12 or finish eating right at 7. Tonight, for example, we finished eating at around 6.

The book Intuitive Eating had a specific term for the type of eating I do, and it is eating to prevent hunger. When I vary my fasting schedule, I tend to eat more. I am high strung, there is no doubt about it. Maybe for someone like me, a predictable fasting schedule is best.

My next month is going to be very hectic. I bring Katie to camp on Wednesday, a 5 hour drive each way made more complicated by the fact that she had convinced the camp director that the Scouts would enjoy having chickens so we will be picking up 3 chickens on our way out of town. Tomorrow we buy a coop and feed, etc.

Next week, I go to New Jersey for my father's internment. The following week, I take Ellie to Oregon to visit Anne and my brother. The following week is the Fourth of July, and Tom is off all the week so we can go camping. The following week, I go to California to visit my mother.

Really, do I need to complicate my life with tweaking and tweaking my approach to weight loss? I have tried all sorts of fasting schedules, and 12 - 7 seems to work best for me. Maybe I can at least put off until September trying to do any other tweaking and just go with the 12 - 7 schedule I have.

Fasting is by its very nature calming because you learn you do not need food the instant you feel any hunger. I think I have defeated the purpose of calm by this constant going back and forth on what I am doing. Time to just do.

Day 43 – Tuesday, June 12, 2018: 216.4
I am a very tense person. My personal trainer, Kayla, told me it is hard for her to distinguish between muscle and bone in my back because my muscles are so tight. I have ground down my teeth so much that I need to wear a retainer every night. The retainer does not keep me from grinding down my back teeth, so I am getting a new retainer this Thursday so that I can keep some of my back teeth. Where did all this tension come from? I believe, in part, that my dieting has contributed to it. That is why I think the best path forward for me may be to just live and let go. I need to accept the weight I get from having the habit of eating between 12 and 7 PM.

10 PM: I am really upset with Katie right now. She came up with the idea of having chickens at camp, convinced the camp director to have them, is borrowing three or four of the chickens she hatched in the spring, and got us to agree to donate feed, bedding, and a chicken coop. We went to buy a chicken coop today, and it turns out chicken coops are seasonal items. The people at the store wanted to sell her a rabbit hutch, and I said no. I know nothing about raising chickens or rabbits, but there has to be a difference between a rabbit hutch and a chicken coop. She was furious at me for refusing. We managed to locate one which requires an additional 90 minutes of driving. She did look at the coop online and admit that the chickens weren't going to do well in a rabbit hutch. We will pick up chickens tomorrow at 7 AM, drive three hours to get the chicken coop, and then drive another 90 minutes to camp. With stops, we will probably get to camp around 1 or 2 PM. Then I have to turn around and drive back.

Why are we buying a coop on the way to camp? She delayed and delayed on deciding what to do about chickens. I let her drop the ball but then picked it up at the last minute. I should have told her "no coop, no chickens." Instead, I called until finding a coop all the while she was furious I wouldn't buy the rabbit hutch. This afternoon, I wolfed down a lot of sweets.

Hmmmm.. I do think overeating especially of sweets is a stress reaction. Katie will be gone tomorrow and she has to run her own life at camp. I told her that, tonight when Dad and I talked on the phone, Dad told me he did not want me buying anything she forgot on the way up, so I then asked if she remembered laundry soap. Nope.

"Some lessons are best learned the hard way." That is my mantra for parenting. She has to suffer the consequences of her actions.

Why am I rambling on about this? Well, dealing with her last minute way of approaching life is stressful, and so is dieting and so is fasting when the rules are constantly changing.

I'm convinced I need to stick with the 12 - 7 PM eating window and just ride down the weight. The weight will come off. I just have to let it come off.

And I have to let Katie grow up.

Day 45 – Thursday, June 14, 2018: 213.8
Yesterday, I got up at 3 AM to look at reviews of chicken coops. I never got back to sleep. I concluded we may want a bigger coop. Katie was picking up chickens that she had incubated this spring in her dorm room. The eggs came from a local Cub Scout camp, the chicks were returned there after they hatched, the chicks (now adolescents) will be borrowed this summer, and the chickens (as adults) will be returned to the Cub Scout camp when Katie gets picked up from Boy Scout camp on August 20. We got to the Cub Scout camp to pick up chickens at about 7:30 and then drove 3 hours to the store to get a chicken coop. We did lift our hold on the smaller coop to get a larger coop. I must say the people in the chicken area were very helpful to me as I tried to educate myself on coops. I must have called them five times last night. Katie was surprised we were willing to donate $400 worth of chicken coop, feed, and bedding, but we got a lot out of that camp and this is likely her last year as a camp counselor.

By noon, I was really tired. I had a large Mountain Dew. Then we drove straight west through small towns that had bars and gas stations that did not have national brands like Holiday. There was no drive-through place to buy lunch, and Katie needed to be at camp by 3. We ended up dropping off the chickens and unloading her gear, and I was off. It was 4:30 before I could get anything to eat. I had a vegetarian Subway because I could not take another McDonalds.

Then I got gas and got a large Hershey's bar and a water. If it had been earlier in the day, I would have gotten another Mountain Dew, but I wanted to sleep last night.

As I was driving and it was getting closer to 7 PM, I was on a major highway and was passing drive-through McDonalds and Burger Kings, etc. Did I want to stop and get something? Did I want to stop at a gas station convenience store and get more candy or peanuts? No. At that moment, no. I still was fairly full from the Subway and just did not want more junk food or, as my road warrior husband would say, "It's all dogfood."

Then I told myself I can eat anything I want and as much as I want tomorrow at noon. Why would I want to eat now when I don't really want anything?

I continued on. By the time, I got home, it was about 8:30. I stayed up until 10 so I could see how the other two kids had done and report in to the people whose dog we have. The kids had Chipotle for dinner. It couldn't be helped. Getting Katie to camp was a big time investment.

Tom got home last night, and I did not even hear him. He told me he let our dog out of the kennel, she hopped on the bed and licked my face, and I did not remember at all.

This morning, I weighed myself at 213.8. I am not surprised my weight was down because all I ate yesterday was a Mountain Dew, a Subway sandwich, and a candy bar. I told Tom, "Some parents have problems with kids getting into car accidents, committing suicide, getting pregnant, deciding they are transgender... We had a problem with a kid not figuring out how to buy a chicken coop."

The reason why I went into a long story about what happened is this is the first time I can recall that I did not eat at night because I knew I could eat at noon the next day.

This may be the secret to success with fasting. If you eat what you want when you do allow yourself to eat, then that driving fear of starvation eventually dissipates. Dieting creates a fear of starvation because you use portion control to limit what you eat. You never are really satisfied and eventually binge eat. With fasting, you know you only have to wait a few hours to eat what you want to eat.

I feel fine this morning despite having not eaten much yesterday. I need to get the gym to do fast walking. When Ellie was in school, I had a deadline to drop her off to school and go to the gym. Now, with her in bed and not going to work until 10 AM, I can dawdle all I want.

4 PM: I managed to do fast walking and had a day with some errands but not much. Tom is home early today because he is going on a weekend retreat, and he and Tommy just took the dogs for a walk. I have lots of food available to me now, including fresh organic strawberries. I just had some cashews. Do I want anything more, especially now with no one in the house because Ellie is also gone (at work)? No. No need to sneak food.

Maybe, just maybe, getting over food obsession is like a fever breaking. If so, I could start to lose weight rather quickly.

Wouldn't that be fantastic after these years of stall? We shall see. All I know is, right now, I have access to lots of food and no one to chide me not to eat it and I am totally not interested, even though next on my plate is categorizing expenditures from credit card purchases to put into our expense tracking worksheet. Nope. I'm not going to the kitchen to eat as a way to avoid doing it. I may find some other way to avoid doing it, but it won't be eating. I don't want to eat.

Yeah!

Day 46 – Friday, June 15, 2018: 213.4
I am convinced by my experience last week with the colonoscopy that it is useless to try multi day fasts. I weighed 214.4 on June 4, fasted from Tuesday night (June 5) to Friday afternoon (June 8 ), and weighed 214.4 on June 11. My body will lose weight in its own time. My effort needs be to be patient and calm. The weight will come off.

7:30 PM: My body wanted a lot of food today, and that's OK. It wasn't an out of control binge. It was more my body seeking to get back to a more normal weight for it. Or at least that is what I speculate.

I think that fasting has a gentle way of changing the body's set point weight, but it takes time.

What is nice is I do not have time to deal with food for the next several weeks. Let's see -- it is Friday night. I am in New Jersey next Tuesday to Thursday, in Oregon the following Sunday to Saturday, visiting in-laws in northern Minnesota the following Wednesday to Sunday, visiting my mother in California the following Tuesday to Saturday, and then home for two weeks because Tommy is in Europe. I've planned my summer to take full advantage of Tommy being home to take care of his sister and the dog!

Eating needs to go with the flow, so to speak. I can't prioritize what I eat. That is the beauty of fasting. I eat what my body most desires of what is available, and that's it.

I have had faith through all of this that the Good Lord did not want us to suffer the way dieting makes a person suffer -- always hungry, never satisfied, always in need of self-discipline, always on edge. There had to be a better way. Fasting is the Lord's way. It's in the Bible. "When you fast...."

The Lord says that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. The same applies to fasting. Fasting was made for man, not man for fasting. Fasting is for our good.

Those scientific experts promoting dieting had it all wrong, and the evidence is clear whenever you walk into a store and see not just obese people but super-obese people, people weighing 300 or 400 pounds. That is common. Science missed what all religions knew: man needs to fast.

I may not write or weigh myself so much in the next month. There is just too much to do. All I need to do now is try to limit my eating to 12 - 7 PM, and that is easy to do.

Day 47 – Saturday, June 16, 2018:
Tommy is at work, Tom is at a retreat, Katie is at camp, and Ellie is at a band function (although likely to come home because it is thundering out). I am home with two dogs, savoring the last quiet moment for probably a month. I am setting the table for the next month.

Fasting succeeds where dieting does not because it reduces your appetite. There is a French saying, "L'appétit vient en mangeant, la soif s'en va en buvant." It translates to: "Appetite comes with eating, but the thirst goes away with drinking."

I need to trust the process of my appetite being reduced by fasting. This will not happen quickly nor will it happen steadily, but it will happen if I just let it happen. At this point, it may be counter productive to pay much attention to the process because I will want to speed things up and instead need to honor my body's desires. Yesterday, I ate a whole lot of junk, including lots of Dove mini chocolates and Trader Joe's coffee ice cream. Instead of being upset, I was curious. I think this type of appetite tends to come after food restriction. I did not restrict food intentionally but instead restricted it because we were in a hurry on Wednesday going along a state highway with no drive-through restaurants.

I may weigh myself; I may not. It may help; it may not. The key is to allow myself to eat as much as I want of anything I want but only between 12 and 7 PM. If for some reason I eat outside those hours, it is not a catastrophe. It's just a missed opportunity.

Today there is no reason not to wait until noon. Hunger is not a good enough reason. Socializing is a good enough reason. Having lack of access to food during my eating window is a good enough reason.

I shoved on my wedding ring the other day and found it did not hurt to wear it. Great! That is a very visible sign of progress since I have worn my wedding ring only a few months out of the past five years. I'm on the right track.

Yesterday, on an intermittent fasting Facebook group, one member was in a panic because she had not lost any weight in 3 months of fasting 16 hours a day. It is premature for me to say anything, but I think it really took an entire year for me to get to this point where I am not just eating for the sake of eating -- because I can, because my eating window is open. Going forward, I am hopeful that I will lose weight more quickly but maybe not. Time will tell. It is encouraging that I can wear my wedding ring.

11:30 AM: "Watch what you eat." Ick. I don't want to watch what I eat. I want to live! In 30 minutes, I can eat as much as I want of whatever I want. I am hungry now, and that is OK because I will be completely satisfied very soon. There are days when I watch the clock and start eating as soon as the clock hits 12 noon. Today is one of those days.

This morning, while cleaning, I listened to this movie on obesity that was on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMS3EtZMp9E

At about minute 47, the narrator said, "The price of staying thin is constant vigilance." That sounds like a sentence of lifelong torture. I cannot believe that the Lord wanted this for us. I just can't.

Fasting is so easy.

12:21 PM: I am satisfied now, although I am going to have some Dove minis. I had two bowls of a bulgar salad, a cup of coffee ice cream, and two bowls of Cheerios. I eat what I want. It's great!

12:30 PM: Now I am completely satisfied. I forgot I also had two slices of peanut butter pie. We normally do not have pie, but there was a half off sale at the grocery store and Tommy wanted one. I also had a package of Costco seaweed and about 3 Dove minis.

That was a lot. I normally am not this hungry when I break my fast, but I was today. It is nice that I still can eat whatever I want even if I want a lot. No voice in my head is telling me I musn't eat so much. The only way I will fast is if I am able to eat what I want when I break my fast.

6 PM: Normally, I do fast walking in the morning but I went this afternoon because two days ago the 120 pound dog we are dogsitting slammed into me and hurt my knee. I wanted to give my knee a little bit more time to heal. As I was driving to the gym, it occurred to me that I am now in maintenance. My approach to eating is set at a 12 - 7 PM window. Also, I got on my wedding ring so my fast walking is set at 6 minutes three times per week. It took me 46 minutes today to get to 6 minutes of fast walking. That amount of time will go down as I get better at the fast walking.

Phew... It's done. Now all I need do is allow my body to adjust to the best weight for itself. That will take time, and that is OK. Patience is a virtue. I am so glad I am off the path of "constant vigilance".

7:20 PM: I also want to add that I am following an idea from the Blue Zone Solution book to have tea. I am having green tea in the morning and herbal tea (a teaspoon of herb in an infuser) with a spoonful of special Trader Joe 10+ honey in the evening. I have tried mint, oregano, and rosemary tea. It may be that this is an appetite suppressant. I don't know. I do think it is somewhat calming.

Day 48 – Sunday, June 17, 2018:
I got up late and stepped on the scale while wearing a nightgown. The weight was 215.2 or 215.4. I am not surprised after eating so much yesterday. Because I got up at about 7:40 instead of 5:30, my weight would have been up to 1/2 pound higher at 5:30. I didn't record my weight at any rate.

I am not sure how to handle maintenance. I keep on being reminded of the stock market. After 9/11, when the stock market crashed, I pulled my money in retirement out. That cost us dearly. I eventually put it all back in. When the stock market crashed in 2008, I did not even bother to look. Now all that was lost has been recovered. I did look a little this spring, but mostly I just ignore it.

That may be the best approach with weight as well. It will take a long time for my body to find its correct weight. Do I want to fuss over slight changes? Not really. I think that, like investing in the stock market, the best approach may be "benign neglect". Really... what changes in behavior might I make based on weight? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. A 12 - 7 PM window seems to work, and I've tried so many others that have not worked as well. Would I try to restrict choice of food or quantity eaten? Nope. That just leads to "constant vigilance". I don't want that. The only thing I can do is continue cooking and educate myself on the best choices of ingredients in foods. For example, I am drinking green tea in the morning and herbal tea in the evening. Black beans are a health powerhouse. I have never cooked with black beans but can look around for recipes and try them out. That seems like a better use of my time than constant monitoring of my weight.

Day 49 – Monday, June 18, 2018: 214.6
While my mind wandered at church yesterday, it occurred to me that I knew why, in older English literature, the laity held in contempt those in the clergy who were fat: they did not keep the fasts! The exception was St. Thomas Aquinas who must have had some sort of metabolic disease. When I got up this morning, I weighed myself because I felt as though I was through what I might have called in my dieting days a binge. My desire for food is like a roller coaster. With fasting, you end up lower than when you started which is why, over time, you lose weight and why, in the short term, it may look as though you are not losing weight. It's like the stock market with its ups and downs.

The weight on my driver's license from August, 2014 is 220. It's a joke that a woman always puts down a weight lower than actual. What I told my mother is I weigh five pounds less than what is on my driver's license. Yes, weight loss is slow, but it IS!!!

How many years have I been stuck at 220 - 225? Now I am below 215. That is something to celebrate!

Day 50 – Tuesday, June 19, 2018:
Day 51 – Wednesday, June 20, 2018:
Day 52 – Thursday, June 21, 2018:
Day 53 – Friday, June 22, 2018:
Day 54 – Saturday, June 23, 2018:
Day 55 – Sunday, June 24, 2018:
Day 56 – Monday, June 25, 2018:
Day 57 – Tuesday, June 26, 2018:
Day 58 – Wednesday, June 27, 2018:
Day 59 – Thursday, June 28, 2018:
Day 60 – Friday, June 29, 2018:
Day 61 – Saturday, June 30, 2018:
Day 62 – Sunday, July 1, 2018:
Day 63 – Monday, July 2, 2018:
Day 64 – Tuesday, July 3, 2018:
Day 65 – Wednesday, July 4, 2018:
Day 66 – Thursday, July 5, 2018:
Day 67 – Friday, July 6, 2018:
Day 68 – Saturday, July 7, 2018:
Day 69 – Sunday, July 8, 2018:
Day 70 – Monday, July 9, 2018:
Day 71 – Tuesday, July 10, 2018:
Day 72 – Wednesday, July 11, 2018:
Day 73 – Thursday, July 12, 2018:
Day 74 – Friday, July 13, 2018:
Day 75 – Saturday, July 14, 2018:
Day 76 – Sunday, July 15, 2018:
Day 77 – Monday, July 16, 2018:
Day 78– Tuesday, July 17, 2018:
Day 79 – Wednesday, July 18, 2018:
Day 80 – Thursday, July 19, 2018:
Day 81 – Friday, July 20, 2018:
Day 82 – Saturday, July 21, 2018:
Day 83 – Sunday, July 22, 2018:
Day 84 – Monday, July 23, 2018:
Day 85 – Tuesday, July 24, 2018:
Day 86 – Wednesday, July 25, 2018:
Day 87 – Thursday, July 26, 2018:
Day 88 – Friday, July 27, 2018:
Day 89 – Saturday, July 28, 2018:
Day 90 – Sunday, July 29, 2018:
Day 91 – Monday, July 30, 2018:
Day 92 – Tuesday, July 31, 2018:

Last edited by Kathleen on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 60 times in total
Soprano

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen I feel your trainer may be right you could well need some help with your eating. It seems a little obsessive.

I know IF works for some people but as you say in your signature "I was determined to find a way to lose weight without restricting what I eat or how much I eat. I only restrict when I eat." You simply can't continue to eat as much as you used to and achieve a sustainable weight loss.

I agree you need to eat what you want without any restrictions or judgement of good v bad food but I do worry this isn't going to work for you.

I wish you luck and hope you can find peace with food but do consider getting some help.

Jx

23/03/2018 11st 3.2lb
Kathleen

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Soprano,

I think this may be the only way I can lose weight. Today I brought my size 18 jeans to donate to the thrift store. They were too big. Yesterday I put on my wedding ring which was too tight to wear.

I have had a weight problem since I was a teen and managed to keep at decent weight for 10 years and lose my pregnancy weight until 2002. It was difficult back then. Now that baby born in 2001 is in 11th grade. My life has changed much over the years but my weight has been steady for about 10 years.

Why? I think it may be that my body craved fat and I was so gullible I followed a low fat approach which starved my body into binge eating.

The future will tell. I have had the same personal trainer for just over four years. She has never seen my weight this low.

Kathleen

Last edited by Kathleen on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing fantastic! IF makes me less obsessive about food if anything. I know it looks strange to people on the outside but it’s really an amazing lifestyle. Most people don’t end up overeating in their window because fasting actually gets your hunger and satiety hormones in balance. This is called Appetite Correction.

Soprano, I’ve bedn doing Intermittent Fasting for seven months now with great success physically and mentally. Please msg me if you’re curious to learn about how it works. Would love to discuss it further.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
4/18-157.4 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Kathleen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpearlmom,
I agree that fasting makes you less obsessive about food. Who cares if you miss a meal by an hour or so? Who cares if you don't have a specific type of food at home? Really, who cares about what you put into your mouth? You eat what most appeals to you of what is readily available when you are able to eat (during your eating window). I'm not even upset if I end up eating past my eating window due to circumstances. Yesterday, for example, I was at Costco using my prescription card to buy what you use before a colonoscopy, which I am having next week since I turn 60 in the fall. The insurance card would not work. It ended up taking an hour for Costco to figure out Anne was listed as the primary. By the time I got home, it was almost 7. Fine. I ended up finishing eating at 7:15. Fine.

The effect of fasting seems to be cumulative. I don't anticipate gaining back weight because every single day I eat as much as I want of whatever I want.

Kathleen
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, it’s a totally flexible & freeing way of eating, IMO. 💜

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
4/18-157.4 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
simmstone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for continuing to try find a way that works for you, Kathleen!

Personally, I love IF - though I don't really call it that for myself... I just happen to fall into the group that does really well using a 'black coffee for breakfast, one big plate at lunch and dinner' approach Smile

I've used eating windows in the past, but I now enjoy setting aside distinct time for 2 slightly bigger meals each day, as I find it helps me make better choices with the food I eat and gives me more pleasure. This preference evolved over time for me, and I'm sure your tastes will evolve, as well, the longer you stick with this way of eating. My craving for sweet foods has dramatically decreased while following this pattern of eating, and my binge episodes have practically disappeared.

Just to give you some food for thought - once it feels virtually effortless to eat this way every day (it's ingrained as a habit) AND you reach a point where your weight stabilizes on this 'eat whatever you want during your eating window' plan (note that there is no need to 'prematurely optimize' your current plan or do anything different while you continue to trend downward - you should only adjust if/when the downward trend stops), THEN there are some additional techniques (i.e. sub-habits) you can use to try to optimize your way of eating for weight loss that aren't as radical as a multi-day fast each month.

When the 'eating window every day' habit is solid and appetite has decreased to the point that you are maintaining your weight, then, while keeping your eating window each day, you could also choose 2 or 3 days per week to set some kind of additional rule(s) around types of food eaten during your window. For example, you could use the 'eating window' PLUS the No S 'no sweets' rule on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays and then use only the 'eat whatever you want during your eating window' rule on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. You could try that for a month and evaluate if it has any impact on weight loss. If it doesn't, you could then try adding an additional rule, like 'eating window' plus 'no sweets' PLUS 'no snacks' on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays, so that 3 days a week you just have 2 large meals during your eating window, and then you eat whatever you want during your window on other days. You could then try that for a month and evaluate impact on weight loss. Since you would keep your valuable habit (eating window) every day AND you'd never be more than a day away from having snacks/sweets, this might prove to be a more gentle intervention to induce weight reduction than, say, multi-day fasts which could (a) disrupt your habit and (b) produce some undesirable 'rebound eating', given your history with binge eating. This is just a little food for thought.

Best of luck to you as you continue on your journey!

Binge-free since 3/18/18
Kathleen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simmstone,

Oh, am I ever adjusted to the eating window! Mine is from 12 - 7 PM. I am having a colonoscopy on Friday and specifically asked if I could just fast from Wednesday to Friday instead of having to restrict what I eat. Last night, it occurred to me that I might as well eat past 7 PM since I won't be having anything until Friday night. Nope. I did not want to eat past 7 PM.

I did have a very stable weight from January to May and ended up deciding to have a multi-day fast as a way to end the plateau. It worked!

This week, I am taking advantage of the requirement to fast and hoping to get below 210.

I like the simplicity of eat whatever I want of anything I want. It would not be likely to work except for one thing: my taste in food is changing. Yesterday, I opened the freezer and took out frozen strawberries instead of vanilla ice cream because that is what I wanted. Admittedly, I also ate quite a few of the milk chocolate covered pretzels I bought from Trader Joe's.

My hope is multi day fasts will be how I break plateaus so I don't need to introduce other rules around eating -- but I will keep in mind that there are other options if multi day fasts do not do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kathleen
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I notice a lot of ppls taste changing with IF. Yesterday I ordered a smoothie that I used to love but it now it seems way too sweet. I drank 1/2 and gave the rest to my daughter.

Smart idea doing extended fasts to. Read plateaus. The longest I’ve gone is 44 hrs. I really dislike missing out on family dinners. How long do you usually go?

Linda

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
4/18-157.4 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Kathleen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpearlmom,

I tried extended fasting after four months of being at the same weight, and my weight only went down in December because I got sick and didn't eat much for three days. Today I did not eat at all. I did not like it. At all. Because I have a colonoscopy on Friday, I cannot just stop the fast. I can follow the eating rules for a colonoscopy but decided instead to experiment with a three day fast. This may be my last three day fast.

I may try just fasting one full day and picking up my next day's eating window of 12 - 7. Who knows? I am taking one step at a time, but today was fairly useless. I did very little.

My timing was well planned. Katie worked 7 - 3:30, Tommy worked 7 - 2, Ellie was in school 7:30 - 2, and Tom is in Hartford. I could get by with doing little.

Kathleen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: