4 meals a day - advice please

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

fibit

4 meals a day - advice please

Post by fibit » Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi all. This is my first post here. I've been doing No-S for quite a while, but I can't stop failing - often I get to the weekend and then I can't get back to things properly on a Monday. however, lately, I have been feeling so hungry some of the time (pre-lunch and pre-dinner) that I can't concentrate at work, have got migraines etc.

I want to try this now with 4 meals a day. I never have particularly big meals and I'm going to try and see if I can still lose weight with 4 meals a day. it will be slow I know but I'm really keen to get back in charge of my eating rather than feeling out of control. Today for example, between lunch and dinner, I had a piece of toast with peanut butter and banana and it seemed to be just the right amount to get me through to dinner.

my question is: does anyone else do a 4 meal a day pattern, and what do you think about it compared with 3 meals a day?

I think I'll give it a month and try and settle into a consistent habit and then re-evaluate.

thanks for reading

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:33 am

Go for it if that's what suits you. It's consistency and habit building that makes the difference. You can adjust later on if you wish.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed May 02, 2018 5:03 am

It can't do any harm to try. I have a slight nos mod which means no starvation. Normally I can manage on three meals but occasionally I get far too hungry and will have a little snack but it is rare.

Do report back

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:37 am

I've seen people choose to have a really small meal in the afternoon because it was too hard to get to dinner with nothing. Eventually, they often ended up dropping the extra meal, but a person wouldn't have to. It's just that the more frequent the eating, the smaller each event needs to be, if weight loss is a goal. You might still have one meal a day that's considered major to accommodate a social meal, but it's up to you. Were always looking for a rather natural and hopefully comfortable way to create a calorie deficit, even though we don't talk about calories. But No S cannot defy the laws of physics. :)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

fibit

Post by fibit » Wed May 02, 2018 9:33 am

thank you all. Oolala I agree I am trying to create a calorie deficit in a comfortable way, which may make things more difficult. I'll report back after I have some green days under my belt!

Marina

Post by Marina » Wed May 02, 2018 1:18 pm

oolala53 wrote:I've seen people choose to have a really small meal in the afternoon because it was too hard to get to dinner with nothing. Eventually, they often ended up dropping the extra meal, but a person wouldn't have to. It's just that the more frequent the eating, the smaller each event needs to be, if weight loss is a goal.
That was what i did! I used to have an almost daily cashew nuts and almonds snack around 4 PM or else i'd feel sick. Now i rarely do this and by body has adjusted to 3 meals a day. I still have my nuts snack if i feel i might be sick, though.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:41 pm

I have four meals a day, and always have. I do find it difficult to eat large meals - my plate is about as full as an average 4 year old. Not be design - just because I can't eat that much food at one time. Slightly uncomfortable maybe, but not why I have four.

Every day in our family we have afternoon tea. On weekends, it's all of us, but on weekdays it's just my son and me. Usually we have a small something to eat - and we talk. It's the time when I hear about his life - what he's doing, what he's concerned or excited or happy about. What he thinks and dreams.

From the time he was a little guy and his tea cup was mostly milk with enough tea to make it a bit beige - to now just weeks before he leaves for college.

I'm not giving that up for anything.

I'm always going to advise doing what works - no matter what anyone else thinks or does. It has to work for you, or it's not - well - going to work :)
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

Dandelion

Re: 4 meals a day - advice please

Post by Dandelion » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:04 am

I just saw this reply. It seems rather timely. That kid I mentioned is a month away now from finishing his first year of college These days I have my tea alone. I'm glad I had those other teas.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

automatedeating

Re: 4 meals a day - advice please

Post by automatedeating » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Dandelion, you rock. Thanks for keeping us all focused on the people we love - our ultimate motivation for being healthy.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2