Worth it check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:35 am

You bet! Whatever works! :D
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Coffee with cream
B: skipped
L: zoodles with veggies; yogurt smoothie; granola bar
D: (will be) filet mignon, salad and a 1/4 baked potato; 2 glasses of wine
Dessert (2 bites of key lime pie)

Fitness: 15 minutes Pilates reformer

In preparation for a late dinner out tonight, I fasted for about 22 hours from yesterday to today. While I had a ton of energy in the morning, during the last hour, I felt really exhausted- in fact I had to cut my Pilates routine in half. Also, since I only ate one meal yesterday I found myself very hungry after I started eating my lunch today (I added a granola bar to what I would normally have for lunch). The good thing about fasting is that it really helps me be aware of my body signals, so they’re much easier to follow. Tomorrow I’ll probably just go back to my normal five hour window from 2 PM to 7 PM. We’ll see what my body tells me tomorrow.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:54 pm

So your normal fast is 19 hours? And 22 really ran you into some difficulties? Just want to make sure I understand. Maybe something else going on too?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Sunday, March 4, 2018

B: Skipped
L: (will be) Breaded pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, salad, bread (my MIL is making for my birthday today)
Dessert: (will be) birthday cake, I think
D: (TBD)

Can’t believe it- my son woke up with a low grade fever and a tummyache early this morning and I’ve been exhausted since yesterday afternoon and I have a “touch†of digestive trouble myself. All this on my 40th birthday! I’m not gonna let it get me down though...it is a beautiful sunny day and I’ll get to spend time with family this afternoon and (I hope) I get to have a giant piece of birthday cake!
:D

Auto- yes that’s correct- I do a modified Fast 5 version of IF. M-F, my eating window is generally 2 PM to 7 PM so that I can have a late, light, lunch (usually veggie-based) and a regular dinner with my family along with dessert. I also have coffee in the morning with cream. On the weekends, if I want to, I would fast only eight hours in case I want to have breakfast with my family too (The window would probably be 10:30 AM to 6:30 PM). Finally, on the two days I go into the office, I’ll probably only eat one real meal a day and maybe a smoothie or something for lunch since eating breakfast and/or since eating at work upsets my stomach because it’s usually so rushed. I know I’m not doing this form of fasting “perfectly†but because I still experience all of its other benefits, I don’t care if I lose weight or not- it will remain to be seen.

Anyway, I think that this little “bug†that I have may have affected my 22 hour fast yesterday. Even though I’m not feeling great today, I am hungry and will be breaking my fast at my regular time.

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Coffee with cream
L: Zoodles with crispy tofu (left some on the plate-that’s a first)
D: chicken souvlaki with lemon orzo pasta salad and pita bread
Dessert: 1/2 carrot cake slice with milk

Still a little under the weather, but plugging away.

2:30-7:30pm

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:27 am

Oh cool! I didn’t realize you were doing IF again! I think 19/5 is a great routine. That’s what many people do on the fb page I belong to. I think EOD fasting would be hard and I rather just fast the whole day then try to limit myself to 500 calories.

Good for you for keeping an eye on the disordered eating thing. I know from the outside it can look that way but I find it feels the exact opposite. IF has made it so food has completely lost its power over me. I used to spend a significant amount of time thinking about food and now it’s of minimal importance. It’s almost sad in a way. I have all these cookbooks that I used to pour over and now I just have dry little interest in thinking about food till maybe that last hour up to when it’s time to break my fast.

Of course everyone is different and your experience won’t be exactly the same as mine so it’s good to just keep checking in with yourself and adjust as needed.

Best of luck!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Coffee with cream
B:Skipped
L: Veggie bowl; plain yogurt with spoonful of apricot jam
D: French toast and bacon
Dessert: Coffee with cream

Fitness: 30 minutes pilates reformer
3pm to 6:30pm

Linda,

Thanks for stopping by. Yup, back in it again and I feel really good. I sometimes feel a little guilty for posting on this board, but technically it's almost No S (with only 2 meals per day everyday and a dessert mod). While I'm still in the early phases this 2nd time (2 weeks in), I am so hopeful about ridding myself of my back pain forever...and am noticing that some of the pain I had in my lower abdomen (area where I had my surgery) is also gone. Every time I get ahead of myself, I'm reminding myself of that it's one step in front of the other. I'm sure I'll have rough days, but it does feel pretty easy so far. Let's hope those rough days are far off so I'll have the habit muscle built up to keep on going.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 am

Don't feel guilty!
We are all here to find our own way! And I think that everybody is a little different in finding what works for them. We all support moderate eating, but that looks different for different folks!
I am advocate of self-experimentation, ha!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:05 am

automatedeating wrote:Don't feel guilty!
We are all here to find our own way! And I think that everybody is a little different in finding what works for them. We all support moderate eating, but that looks different for different folks!
I am advocate of self-experimentation, ha!
I totally agree :wink:

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Coffee (WITHOUT CREAM!)

L: Veggie bowl and yogurt with a spoonful of jam
D: 3 pieces of Pizza
Dessert: small piece of white cake with milk (didn’t need, but had anyway)

Thank you auto and Dahlia Negra! I just love this board and find it so helpful to post here to keep me moderate.

Today was the first time in my life that I have drank black coffee and have NOT hated it. I have been a coffee with cream and sugar girl my whole life and when I started No S. Over the past year I have cut out the sugar in my coffee intermittently, and noticed that doing so really made me feel less hungry for my breakfast meal. However, I just couldn’t get past the bitter taste of the coffee without cream until now. I discovered that if I just use less coffee beans and brew it with freshly ground beans in my French press, it is pretty good. In fact, I really enjoyed the nice tang it had this morning and even brewed myself a 2nd cup which I am sipping on now. The good news is that I have always liked my tea without sugar so this feels somewhat similar to that and should further reduce any hunger I have had while I fast until my lunch in the afternoon. It’s amazing what you feel you can’t live without.... but actually can. LOL! :lol:

I still have given myself permission to have coffee with cream however if I’m in a pinch (ie at work). I am NOT yet willing to give up enjoyment of a morning cup of coffee so will have to do what I have to do to ensure I enjoy it! :D 8)

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 am

worth it wrote:Thursday, March 8, 2018

Coffee (WITHOUT CREAM!)

L: Veggie bowl and yogurt with a spoonful of jam
D: 3 pieces of Pizza
Dessert: small piece of white cake with milk (didn’t need, but had anyway)

Thank you auto and Dahlia Negra! I just love this board and find it so helpful to post here to keep me moderate.

Today was the first time in my life that I have drank black coffee and have NOT hated it. I have been a coffee with cream and sugar girl my whole life and when I started No S. Over the past year I have cut out the sugar in my coffee intermittently, and noticed that doing so really made me feel less hungry for my breakfast meal. However, I just couldn’t get past the bitter taste of the coffee without cream until now. I discovered that if I just use less coffee beans and brew it with freshly ground beans in my French press, it is pretty good. In fact, I really enjoyed the nice tang it had this morning and even brewed myself a 2nd cup which I am sipping on now. The good news is that I have always liked my tea without sugar so this feels somewhat similar to that and should further reduce any hunger I have had while I fast until my lunch in the afternoon. It’s amazing what you feel you can’t live without.... but actually can. LOL! :lol:
Yes!!!! I also thought I needed my binge eating, and No S has taught me that I do not need them :wink: :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:45 pm

My binge urges usually came within the three hours after a meal. If I had a situation that forced a longer wait between eating events, I definitely got hungry before the next meal, but it was not that irritating, jumpy/anxious feeling that compelled me to start eating randomly (and celery didn't cut it). When I was truly hungry, I wanted real food. But I couldn't make myself wait, and clung to the eat-often model. It was giving me food right in the binge-desire window, thus reinforcing it, and never stopped me from caving mid-afternoon. When I read No S's structure, I saw that this could do it. It gave me a reason to get past the 3-hour window, but also feed myself at regular enough intervals that I got the reinforcement of a pleasant eating experience soon enough. As they say, everyone's different, but I suspect very strongly that a lot of binge eating programs are misguided in pushing the 3-meals, 2/3 snacks model on clients and having them avoid the dreaded hunger. What clients really need is to be coached to keep working it, and to be deprogrammed about the inordinate fear of triggers and the value of NOT reinforcing the "jonesing." I started telling the women on the binge team I'm on at Spark that that antsy feeling to eat is a cue NOT to eat. It's a cue to keep away from food! Recently, I was browsing the book and found this in regard to emotional eating (though I have come to the conclusion that many cues we thought were emotional were not): You're not being nice to yourself by indulging: you're being profoundly mean...it's misguided intolerance." Of course, "tolerating" sounds darn unpleasant, but so is being a slave to the worst kind of food.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:33 am

I agree with you Oolala. After 10 months of ignoring that antsy feeling between meals, the urges are finally starting to recede into the background. Today is a bit of an exception, but even though it is an S day, I am still ignoring/distracting myself from the feeling. I'd rather sit through the temporary discomfort, knowing that in a few hours I can eat as much as I feel I need to, than go back to the pain of bingeing.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:01 pm

And do you find, if you are honest, that when that meal time comes, that you actually don't even want to eat as much as you tempted yourself with? I think that sense that if you wait, your appetite will be insatiable is mostly the placebo effect.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Friday, March 9, 2018

Coffee (no cream)
L: skipped
D: foot-long Subway sandwich and a bag of Harvest chips
Dessert: protein bar and sunflower seeds

At work today.
5:45pm to 7pm

Saturday, March 10, 2018
Coffee (no cream)
L and Dessert: 3 pieces of pizza and a large slice of cake with milk
D: Bran cereal; cashews

2:20-6:15pm

Hi All,

Great talk on my thread. Since I’ve been back at it I haven’t felt like binging once. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but it hasn’t yet. The good news is that I have really some good information to review on our discussion board. Also, I think I’ll be able to now realize that it would be my lower brain talking to me anyway.... AND, I wouldn’t have to listen.

p.s. I can’t believe how much I’m really enjoying black coffee. I wondered if the first day was a fluke but now with three days under my belt it just doesn’t seem like such a big deal.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Sunday, March 11, 2018

L: Polish sausage, coleslaw, salad, small scoop of cheesy potatoes
D: protein bar with milk, two slices of bread with butter, handful of pretzels dipped in cream cheese
Dessert: Granola bar with 1/4 cup of iced coffee

2:20pm to 4:30pm

Boy am I full. I ate more than usual today and felt a little frenzied about it. Not quite binge status but I definitely ate faster than usual- however I really was very hungry today. I’m trying not to worry about it-who knows maybe it’s because I ate refined carbs and no veggies yesterday or maybe because I only ate one meal on Friday, but as I write this I’m realizing...who cares. Interesting.

My body will do what it will do. There is no right or wrong way to do this.

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:48 am

Monday, March 12, 2018

L: zoodles and mushrooms
D: chicken tetrazzini, salad, piece of bread with butter
Dessert: small slice of white cake; granola bar; milk

2:40pm to 7:15pm

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 am

Looks like you’re doing great! Yay for black coffee!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Step by step!

So, are the hours you post the hours in which you ate that day? Tx
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 am

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

D: Subway foot long; bag of chips
Dessert: RX PB bar; milk; sunflower seeds

4:40pm
6:10pm

At work today, so only dinner. Got a little cloudy headed this afternoon, but I can’t tell if that was because I hadn’t eaten or if it was because I was up for most of the night (being worried about work). Either way, the hunger part is no longer a factor, I think I barely even notice it during the day (if I ever get it) until my regular time to eat.

Linda- thanks for the encouragement- I’m feeling great! Fasting has really begun to build my confidence around eating because I haven’t had not one “slip†yet (nor have I even wanted to!!). All I have to do is eat within my window and not eat outside of it. It doesn’t matter how much, how little, what I eat, as long as it’s within the window, and it’s been relatively simple and getting easier everyday (especially now that I’ve switched to black coffee)! Granted it’s not been that long this go-around (just a few weeks), but it really feels like it’s a habit already. I feel in tune with my body again.

Oolala, yes, you are correct- the time I list is the actual start and stop of my eating window for that day. I typically have a 5 hour window (2pm-7pm) but it may vary on days when I’m at work (like today) or on the weekends. So far so good.

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

L: sautéed cabbage with mushrooms, onions, green pepper; bite of chicken tetrazzini
Snack: deviled egg (2 halves); handful of pretzels (a fail?)
D: 1 Italian sausage; 3 mozzarella sticks; low-carb coleslaw
Dessert: protein bar and glass of milk

2:15pm start; 6:25 end

Hungrier today. Starting to notice a pattern- always hungrier on days after I only have 1 meal during the previous day. I even felt so hungry that I had to eat between my lunch and dinner. Oh well, no big deal, just something to observe to see if the pattern continues.

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Thursday, March 15, 2018

L: Italian sausage with zoodles and mushrooms
Dessert: Granola bar and milk
D: leftover chicken tetrazzini and veggies (quit after a few bites); small almond butter sandwich

30 minutes Pilates reformer workout

2:25pm to 6:15pm

Today at lunch I was surprised by desperately wanting protein with my typical veggie plate, so I had it. I just figured that this was an extra hungry kind of day and that my evening meal would be the typical main meal. Originally I had planned to cook something else but time didn’t permit so I figured I’d just have leftovers. During the first bite of my leftovers I realized I didn’t want any meat (the chicken)and frankly not much of the pasta either- it just wasn’t tasting right to me. Instead almond butter sounded good, so I had it. It’s amazing how much more in tune I am with my buddies hunger/appetite.
Last edited by worth it on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 pm

I've probably reported it on my thread SOMEWHERE in the thousands of posts that the women in my small department at work made a pact years ago to wear animal prints on Thursdays. I went to a white elephant rummage sale a few weeks ago with a friend and told her under no circumstances to let me buy any animal prints. We each shopped for awhile and then I went up to her carrying several items, including an animal print. She didn't say anything, and I chided her: Tell me to put that back! (I had taken it only as a test.) She tried to talk me into a little leopard jacket which actually was very interesting. I slightly regret it, but not much. There are always going to be some cool things available if I'm not in a hurry, and I'm not in a hurry for sure now.

Tx for noticing my milestone. Look forward to many of your own!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:26 am

Friday, March 16, 2018
L: Skipped
Dessert: sunflowers seeds
D: smoked salmon dip, 1 fish taco ( couldn’t eat anymore), 2 glasses Pinot noir; bite of chocolate cake and ice cream

4:45pm to 8:30pm

Went to dinner with a friend after work today- i’m reminded how much I miss doing this. I need to see my friends more often. Good for a girl’s soul.

Animal print Thursday’s, huh Oolala? I’m going to need to do the rummage sale thing, you never know what might find! :D

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Saturday, March 17, 2018

L: Green salad; chicken salad; 1/2 croissant; few sips of Cabernet
Dessert: 1/2 mini bundt carrot cake; 1 potato chip cookie
D: 2 stuffed mushrooms; 2/3 piece of Italian sausage and peppers; 1/2 Small pita; carrots and hummus; 2 margaritas; 1 dirty martini

1:10pm to 7:40pm

So today will be the first time that I am extending eating my window from five hours to eight hours due to a wedding shower and a planned evening of dinner and drinks. In fact I will likely have to start eating a little earlier than is normal for me (1pm or 1:30pm) which paired with yesterday’s late meal is a little bit of a bummer for my perfectionist nature. However I’m still going to do it and enjoy it! I remind myself that there is no wrong way to do IF. I don’t think that one day here and there will truly affect my bodys ability to fight aches and pains.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:43 pm

I guess you'll get to find out. Maybe they're even worth it once in awhile. I'm realizing it's actually ok with me to sometimes feel a little too full in exchange for eating more. But my suffering lasts just a few hours. If yours goes on and on, I can see holding out for avoiding it.

How was the wedding shower and dinner?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:53 pm

Sunday, March 18, 2018

L: 3 slices pizza, salad, 2 breadsticks
D: Piece of toast with PB and honey, granola bar, milk, handful of Fritos
Dessert: sugar cookie with 1/2 cup of milk

Fitness: 1 hour walk (it’s so nice out today!)

3:20pm to 7:05pm

Pretty much a junk food day. Ugh. And I’m FULL. Oh well! 😜

Oolala, the wedding shower and dinner were fun! Actually the dinner was much more fun for me because I was with close family. The shower was beautiful but unfortunately, I am extremely socially awkward with people I don’t know that well. I only knew two people there in addition to the bride and her mom, so I spent more time being self-conscious and reserved (like a total weirdo). I try to tell myself that people don’t even really notice and are more concerned with themselves then they are with me but, nonetheless, I still feel strange. I think it’s because I am generally not good with small talk, other than at work because it’s usually focused around work. I tend to find it boring and exhausting, unless I get to talk someone who has differing views than me or even someone who could be deemed as eccentric. Then I’m hooked into conversation...What a strange egg, I am. But at least I own it! Lol!

Anyway, as I suspected, nothing miraculous happened with me changing up my window a little bit. Today I’m going to push my window back a little bit since my husband and son aren’t getting home till around 3 PM today from their weekend trip.

Truth be told, I can’t believe how great things are going with IF. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but it never seems to. Now that I’m in my third week I am feeling tremendous amounts of energy, low/no aches and pains, clear skin, an ability to notice my body’s signals (not just around food but also with thirst and tiredness), relief that I’m not thinking about food very much outside my times to eat, and may even be experiencing some weight loss (my clothes are getting loose). I think the best thing I’m experiencing overall however, is the feeling that I’m finally taking care of myself. I don’t know where this will take me but for once, I am excited to find out. I have no illusions that things won’t get difficult at some point but I’m happy to have them be easy so far. I’ve noticed that not worrying about my weight allows me to really enjoy the benefits of IF. I’m surprised that I have been able to do this thus far and hope that not worrying about my weight is something I’ll continue to do forever.

Ahhh, early days... :lol:

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 am

Monday, March 19, 2018

D: Italian sausage on a roll, 2 panino, a few small cubes of cheddar, a big grab bag of chips
Dessert: balance bar, sunflower seeds

6pm to 7:30pm

At work today, tired alll day!!! Even though I didn’t sleep well (as usual), it was pretty easy to fast all day. Either way, I’m so relieved to be working from home tomorrow.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:58 am

Hiya Worth it! So pleased to hear that your personalised No S is working so well. You are worth it! (Sorry, I had to write that at least once. 😊😉)

Hey, did the Trinny and Susannah book arrive? Do tell!

Sounds like you managed amazingly well at the shower - only knowing 2 people besides the bride and her mother! Phew. How awkward you feel can depend on other people and THEIR social skills, not just you. Sometimes, with all the skills in the world, you can end up standing around alone and feeling like a weirdo. That happens to me plenty, and I have decent small-talk skills. Even when I’m using my skills, I get bored and exhausted, just as you describe. Use one of my favourite mottoes: ‘it’s them, not me.’ :lol:

Hope you have a great day! I’m working from home too.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:29 pm

I don't think you qualify as weird. I've read that the population is about 25% a subjective temperament, which is what you were describing. I'm right on the cusp. I used to feel okay about such events, but as I've gotten older, I often have to give myself a pep talk about it because I can feel very hollow after once again trading comments with people I will likely never see again. But how else do you find a new tribe? It's one of the side effects of individual freedom.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

L: mock Olive Garden salad and 2 breadsticks; piece of smoked sausage
D: 3/4 Chicken quesadilla w/guac, sour cream, olives, a few bites of rice
Dessert: 1 Sugar cookie; 2 ghirardelli chocolate squares; glass of milk

2:30pm start (I usually start at 2pm but since I ate until 730pm last night I wanted to ensure that I had 19 hours between my dinner and lunch meals)-6:20pm

Interesting day. I was actually pretty hungry today and had a hard time telling if it was real hunger or “fake†hunger. This has been the first time I’ve ever felt this way since doing 19/5. I started to analyze all of the reasons why I could be feeling this way but then made myself stop because frankly, it really doesn’t matter.

While I made it to my planned window, it was pretty hard. As soon as the time hit, I wanted to start shoveling food in my mouth but made myself pause and take a deep breath and focus on actually tasting the food. While I ate a bit quicker than normal I did enjoy my meal. Let’s see how I do with dinner tonight.

Update: I think it was real hunger because I was starved again in between lunch and dinner. I’m just going with it.

Octavia, YES- I forgot to tell you- The Trinny and Susannah book arrived last week! After reading it, I’m not sure if I’m an hourglass or a cello, but the good news is the type of clothes can be similar for either shape. The truth is, I’d like to be a bit more adventurous with my clothing and I think concepts in the book can help. Thanks for suggesting it! Also, thanks for acknowledging that you also sometimes feel strange with crowds of people you don’t know. As you say, it could be others’ social skills too- I like sharing accountability! Or even better as you say, it’s got to be them (not me) LOL!

Oolala, I have never heard of a subjective personality before- thank you for attaching a title to my “madness†😉. In fact, as soon as I’m done posting, I’m going to look it up. I like how you described it-it does feel like a “hollowness†afterwards. I guess I’m glad I’m not the only one, but like how you frame it for yourself. It’s certainly worth it (that was for you, Octavia!)if you can find a good tribe.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 am

:lol:

I too am a cross between a cello and hourglass...and a vase! 😊
One of T&S’s top tips was to add huge earrings to the cello lady, in the pic where she’s wearing that long dress.
Must get the book out again!

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Wednesday, March 21, 2018
D: Chicken tenders, potato wedges, biscuit
Dessert: small chocolate chip cookie, candy bar, sunflower seeds, soda

6:15pm to 7:45pm

At work today and had to attend a job fair for the last part of my day... I haven’t had to do one in YEARS and forgot that it would leave me over tired, stressed out and VERY hungry (I hadn’t eaten for almost 24 hours at that point). Not exactly a good recipe for an enjoyable dinner... I definitely ate too fast, and emotionally (for relief) but I don’t care. I needed it.

In a way, I figured it was almost an experiment of sorts... I only ate the least nutritious type of food today. Let’s see how it affects how I feel tomorrow.
Last edited by worth it on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Thursday, March 22, 2018

L: Sautéed veggies
D: Piece of lasagna, two breadsticks and a mock Olive garden salad
Dessert- balance bar and glass of milk

2:50-6:20pm

I woke up feeling very bloated and exhausted today, but in the past hour or so, I’m feeling just fine (I’m on my 2nd cup of coffee) 😉. I expected to feel ravenous as soon as I woke up today on account of all that garbage I ate yesterday but truthfully don’t feel hungry at all. It’s still relatively early in the day, but it’s a good reminder to myself that most of the bad things I imagine happening to me never do. This is good for me to experience- it means I don’t have to be perfect.

In fact, now is the time when I need to learn this lesson more than ever. For the past few days I have started to wonder whether I have been fasting for weight loss... if that’s the case, the voice inside my head would say, “just quit, you don’t care that much.†But, the truth is, I’m not fasting for weight loss. I’m fasting for MANY more important reasons, and I think the biggest one right now is for confidence in myself again. I recognize this pattern for what is is... I try something new and have to do it PERFECTLY for about a month or so and then become exhausted and feel restricted by it and start listening to that voice in my head to “quit.†Well, NOT THIS TIME. I recognize what it is, and basically will need to do whatever I have to do to stick with it. If it means not being perfect, so be it. If it means tripping up here and there, so be it. If it means I have to break my fast early or lengthen my eating window one day, so be it. If it means eating all junk one day because I couldn’t help it, so be it. My self confidence and self control about eating is on the line.

Overall, when I zoom out 30k feet, food just shouldn’t be that big of a deal to me or anyone that lives in a nation of plenty. If people less fortunate are starving then I can at least make it to my eating window on a daily basis.

PM UPDATE: Another good lesson I learned today is to NOT over-analyze this process ... fasting was effortless today, after a few difficult days and after having eaten hardly anything of nutritional value yesterday. I’m not going to even pretend to know why, but I’ll take it.

worth it

Post by worth it » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Friday, March 23, 2018

L: ?
D: TBD

30 minute kettlebell workout (did with no pain and no back or knee brace!!!)

Busy next few days. Today I am going with my son to see my family (mom and step dad and my brother and his kids) back home. Since we have a late flight I am thinking of doing dinner at the airport and not sure if I’ll even do a lunch today since I’m moving my window to about 9 PM. Will see how I feel.

Tomorrow I will be going out for our belated birthdays with my brother, so will also be moving my window to a time much later, so it may work out that I’m doing the same today. On Sunday, I’m going to play it by ear but may have an eight hour window if needed, but who knows I may not even feel like eating (if I drink too much the night before!). Lol! We’ll see how this plays out, but again, I am suspecting it will have no effect on the habit. I’ll be back home on Tuesday and will update it all then!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:32 am

I really relate to wanting to quit something after awhile. I’m really good at convincing myself it’s the right thing to do too. I’m finally learning that erodes my feelings of self worth though which sounds like you can relate to.

There is something about IF that builds confidence. After so many years of feeling controlled by food, I’ve definitely proven to myself otherwise. If I can go without food for 20-24 hrs on a daily basis I’d say I’m no longer ruled by food.

I wish I could stop focusing on weight though. You’ve given me something to think about.

Glad you’re still doing well with the fasting.

Ps I’ve committed to a year of IF no matter what and you definitely don’t have to do it perfectly. Gl!

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:55 am

3/23
7:20pm-8:20pm
D: Chinese- Steamed veggies, noodles, orange chicken
Dessert: Zone bar, milk, 2 small chocolate clusters

3/24
6:30pm-11:35pm
30 min walk

D: 2 pieces of pizza; 1.5 pieces of fried chicken
Drinks: 1 dirty martini; 4 vodka and sodas

3/25
9:35am to 6:50pm
B: 2 eggs, 2 sausage links, 2 bacon, hash brown; v8 juice
L: (grazed) grapes, lots of beef jerky; ice cream cone; coconut clusters
D: zoodles with meat marinara sauce; fathead low carb roll

Ugh. I planned to have an 8 hour window or a free day today since I knew I’d be drinking the night before and figured I’d be hungover today. On top of that, I literally had no energy ALL DAY. Haven’t eaten this much in a long time. Didn’t realize how much energy your body spends on digestion. Interesting. Definitely looking forward to fasting tomorrow.

3/26
3pm-7pm
20min hike

L: tortilla chips with salsa and queso dip; 2 fish tacos; a few bites of black beans; margarita
D: small serving of mushrooms and (cauliflower) rice
Dessert: small piece of dark chocolate and a few coconut clusters; 1/2 glass of milk

OMG- I feel so much better today. I can’t believe the difference in much better I feel by simply skipping breakfast. I â™¥ï¸ IF. For real.

3/27
2:10pm to 6:50pm

L: Italian sausage sandwich with mozzarella; a few cheese fries; side salad; a few cashews, a few sips of soda
D: A LOT. Bran cereal, pretzels, salami sandwich
Dessert: 3 Ghiardelli squares; handful of mini Reese’s and kit kats

Today was a bit more difficult making it to my eating window. Don’t care, just some silent observation.

UPDATE: Ate without abandon for dinner tonight. Well, it wasn’t as much in my old days, but it was still way more than I typically eat- especially the sweets. Purposely not analyzing why-i decided that it doesn’t really matter.

3/28
6:10pm to 7:50pm
D: subway footlong chicken breast sandwich; bag of sun chips; a coke
Dessert: think thin bar, milk, sunflower seeds

At work- not hard to get to dinner today.

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:19 am

Hi Linda,

Thanks for stopping by. It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who feels like giving up sometimes. (While I wish we didn’t feel that way) The good news is that I do get a little boost from continuing, even when I felt like quitting- that’s got to be something, right?

I was listening to a podcast today that briefly discussed meditation, and how practicing meditation was simply a way of exercising self-control over your desires. It made me think how IF is kind of like that... it’s practicing self control over ones desire to eat (to gain lots of benefits for your health)...In fact, No S is like that as well. For some reason, I enjoy thinking about IF as almost a meditative practice.

Oh, and try and give yourself a break on the weight loss front. It’s only natural that you would want to continue losing since you’ve had so much success already. It’s been a good motivator for you. However, I’m not sold that it’s even the main factor for you. It would be hard to continually fast for 20-24 hours per day if there weren’t multiple benefits for you. Maybe just shift some of your focus on those reasons to help reinforce? Who knows?! I am experimenting just like you are 😜! Overall, it’s just good to have someone that’s so supportive and experiences similarities to share in this journey to better ourselves. Thank you for that.

I also seem to be unconsciously working towards one year to see where I end up. It would be great to start this wonderful decade on a healthy note!

Until then, let’s just keep on moving forward!!

Friyay

Post by Friyay » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:45 am

I had a yoga instructor who berated people who try to master meditation and higher mental stuff like that before they'd mastered basic yoga positions. "You want to control your mind? You can't even control your body!"

Somewhere Reinhard says something similar. Learn to control this basic stuff like eating and sleeping before you try more complicated things.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:24 am

Really interesting observations from you two! That’s exactly what I feel I’m grappling with - I haven’t even mastered the basics of life: eating, sleeping and getting up - how can I expect to create habits based on creativity, looking after my home, having a more fun social life? But facing up to this is a major epiphany for me. For years I’ve tried to get exercise, healthy eating and creativity going in my life - but before No S I had no chance! I had no idea how fixed my habits were...what I was up against. ‘Neural pathways’ sound so delicate and easy to change, don’t they? I’ve been using the metaphor of ‘stone’ recently, to describe the fixed-ness of my mind and body. Of course I know it can be changed. But it’s a particular kind of effort that’s needed - a kind of ongoing toughness...it’s not necessarily unpleasant, but it has a particular quality that i didn’t understand before.

I can totally see how IF is like meditation. A way of exercising control over our desires. I even wonder if for many of us, it’s a better way. I’ve never had any luck with meditation - though I know the difficulty is partly the point of it - but to resist the impulse to think self-stimulating thoughts is for me harder than resisting almost anything in the world! Even cream buns! :lol:

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:25 pm

Thursday, March 29, 2018
2:50 pm to 6:55pm

L: mushroom and cauliflower rice, 3 thin slices of salami
D: goulash and salad and 1.5 pieces of bread
Dessert: granola bar and milk and some dark chocolate covered almonds

Thanks Octavia and Friyay for your thoughts. No S really IS a reasonable way for all of us to build our habits, no matter what stage we’re in. We just have to be consistent (and do it over a personal of time). That’s why we’re all here, right?

Fasting was pretty easy today. Hope it continues! I’m at work for 1/2 day tomorrow, and I’ve never not eaten on the way home. I’ll probably get a coffee to make the ride a little more enjoyable until I reach my window. Should be interesting.

worth it

Post by worth it » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:42 pm

Friday, March 30, 2018

3:45pm to 5:30pm

D: 3 slices of thin crust pizza, mock Olive Garden salad
Dessert: small DQ Blizzard

Only worked about a 1/2 day today and left early. It was the first 2-hour ride home from work where I didn’t eat a thing. Wasn’t hard excefor 5he last 30 mins where I started to get hungry right before my eating window. Since my husband said he wanted ice cream tonight after an early dinner (he was home from work today), I figured I’d just push my window a little bit longer. A good day so far. Will be even better with some ice cream later! 😜

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:03 pm

Saturday, March 31, 2018

2:25pm to 6:50pm

L: zoodles with mushrooms
Snack (fail?): toast with PB and honey, a few coconut clusters
Dinner: homemade grilled cheeseburgers and fries
Dessert: Reese’s PB egg, a few pieces of min candies, a few dark chocolate covered almonds, milk

Fitness: House cleaning for two hours.

Very hungry today. Fasting was hard for the last 1.5 hours. Oh well, I made it.🙂
I can’t wait for a return to some normalcy after Easter tomorrow (at least for a few weeks, until my husband leaves for 2 weeks on business ðŸ™). It’s been a CRAZY last few weeks with travel, work, etc. Going to be glad for a bit of boring.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:51 am

I love reading about your fasting journey. I’m on an IF fb group which is great but it’s not the same as following along one persons journey in a more detailed way.

You’re right I wouldn’t have stuck to IF if I wasn’t getting something out of it other than weight loss. I feel better mentally and physically and there’s something very empowering about it. I’m finding this carries over to other areas of my life too. I’m wondering if it’d be better to get off the fb group for awhile & focus on my own journey for awhile. It’s great to see all the before and after pics but I tend to start comparing my slow progress too much I think.

Anyway, I’m so glad you’re enjoying the experience!

worth it

Post by worth it » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:26 pm

April 1, 2018

2:15pm to 6:10pm

L: a little bit of everything (we hosted Easter)- salad, 1/2 piece of steak, 5 shrimp, a baked potato, a meatball and a few bites of rotini
D: a boiled egg, a few cubes of cheese, a few carrots and ranch
Dessert: a piece of banana cream pie, a few pieces of chocolate cracker bark, a chocolate covered pretzel rod

I ate a lot today, but was able to fast easily until my window. No one even noticed that a was sipping Pellegrino instead of chowing down on appetizers...which I ended up eating later for my dinner. Although I was full and ate a more sweets than I usually would in a day, Easter was an enjoyable eating experience, where most holidays typically aren’t. I usually either overeat or undereat and then binge later- none of that today-AWESOME!

worth it

Post by worth it » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:44 pm

April 2, 2018

L: (will be) mock Olive Garden salad (I know, I’m obsessed), raw cauliflower and the last remaining bites of buffalo chicken dip that I didn’t get to sample yesterday. 🙂
D: (will be) leftover meatballs and pasta
Dessert (will be) a piece of apple pie leftover from yesterday (if I feel like it)

Hungrier today, but the waves only last for a few minutes. No big deal- I’ll make it to 2pm anyway.

Linda, thanks so much for your post! I ALWAYS enjoy your honest and thoughtful journey too. I’m always so excited when you post something new! Since I’m not on fb, I sometimes wonder if I’m missing out, especially with these IF support groups. After reading your comments, however, I’m guessing I would probably end up feeling similar to how you are feeling right now. It’s so hard not to compare ourselves to others, especially in this thin-obsessed culture. Not to mention, naturally being drawn to fashion, it’s so hard not to check out beautiful clothes without checking out the models!

Anyway, I think we continue to come back to this board since it’s roots are focused on habit building rather than the end result. While we are not typical No S’’ers, I’m so grateful for having everyone’s continued support on this board. I’m especially grateful for your support in navigating IF and reading about your journey as well. Let’s keep each other going strong in building this habit!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:38 pm

In 2009 I joined and then left FB for years. It tended to cause me to compare myself to others too much, in many ways other than appearances. Everything. I guess I was way too susceptible to the bad things about it.
Recently, I've rejoined but I only have like 20 friends (family & very close friends). I decline all friend requests! I use it to look at businesses and stuff. Well, and dog stuff, which tends to be a hobby of mine.
Long rambly way of saying I feel weird about facebook.
And I've never felt weird about this forum! It's always been a positive experience for me.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:27 am

Oh yeah Facebook is great at making one feel inferior. I must say I’m pretty guilty too. I definitely put my best foot forward and my life probably looks a certain way to some people.

Honestly the main reason I use Facebook is for my activist stuff. It’d be really hard to organize everyone and stay on top of what’s going on locally without it. So I stay but you guys are missing nada.

It’s so different here where everyone is so honest about their imperfect lives and we realize that we’re not alone in our struggles. It’s nice.

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Tuesday April 3, 2018

5:10pm to 6:40pm

D: 3 chicken tenders; potato wedges, biscuit
Dessert: small chocolate chip cookie, small piece of carrot cake, few sips of milk, sunflower seeds

At work today.

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

2:00pm to 5:55pm

L: Veggies and dip, a few cubes of cheese, a small bowl of bran cereal
D: Leftover steak and baked potato; chips (random)
Dessert: candy, a few bites of apple pie, 1/2 glass of milk

I spent about an hour this morning on a website called food can wait. It’s basically about a woman’s journey through intermittent fasting over several years. She seemed to have great weight loss success however she no longer posts-looks like it’s been about a year or so. Got me wondering if she went back to her old style of eating... and then of course gets me wondering if IF is sustainable. That then leads to the “brat†in me wishing food wasn’t so hard for me. I know this is my lower brain trying to create drama especially since I Hadn’t been worrying about this topic before reading that website for the last hour. It’s almost as if I am too empathetic or something- so weird. Did I take on her persona and her determination to lose weight? No. Then why was so upset that she didn’t stick with it? After all I am supposedly not doing this for weight loss reasons, right?

Man, sorting through this psychological stuff is hard!

All I know is that I’m not eating until at least 2pm today... and perhaps I need to stop reading those kinds of websites! Grrr.

(Linda, it’s not just fb, these websites can be DANGEROUS sometimes too- I’m going to consciously try and stop reading about IF for a little while)
Last edited by worth it on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:14 pm

I think take a break from that stuff is a good idea. Let your journey unfold in its own way.

Just FYI, there’s several ppl in our Facebook group that have been doing this for 2-5 years. You don’t hear that much with traditional diets.

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 pm

Linda,

Thank you- I needed to hear that. I’m stopping the drama right now. No more fasting “research†for now. My own observations/study of one will be just fine for now.

And...2-5 years sounds VERY sustainable. No S “like,†even. I realize that I just need to worK through this resistance sometimes to sustain my habit. Consistency and passage of time is the “magic†recipe. Reminder to myself that I’m only 5 weeks in!

By the way, I made it to 2pm. I was hungry, and part of me wonders whether it was true hunger or it was brought on by my feelings earlier today. No matter-a goal reached, is a goal reached-I did it! And, I’m done eating for the day too. My Zero fasting app says I’ve averaged 20.5 hours of daily fasting this week. It’s fun seeing that accomplishment!

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:24 pm

Thursday, April 5, 2018

30 mins Pilates reformer workout

6:10pm to 7:30pm (probably)

D: veggies and dip, breakfast for dinner (eggs, bacon, sausage, and a pancake)

Had an appointment around the start of my normal eating window so I just skipped my typical lunch since I wasn’t really that hungry. Super easy to fast today, in fact it is on most days.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Friday, April 6, 2018

4:50pm- 7:05pm

D: Jimmy Johns sub, thinny chips, coke
Dessert: sunflower seeds, protein bar, milk

At work today. Fasting was effortless.

Saturday, April 7, 2018

30 min Pilates reformer workout

2:45pm to 6:10pm

L: grilled chicken topped with cheese and bacon, a few fries, a few tortilla chips and salsa, a few bites of coleslaw
D-Cheese, crackers, pepperoni, veggies and dip, fiber one granola bar
Dessert- 2 chocolate chip cookies and glass of milk; sunflower seeds, chocolate covered pretzel

Fasting was was slightly annoying this morning while making eggs and bacon for my little guy this morning. It smelled sooo good. But, I felt fine (and not at all hungry) right after I finished cooking for him. 🙂

Stomach felt considerably flatter when doing my workout today. This is a surprise since I feel I’ve been eating a LOT lately. Again, not going to analyze- it will be what it will be.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:16 am

If it helps, I think time restricted eating (I try to use that term as less triggering for people than the F word :)) does a lot towards healing the gut and lowering inflammation and blood sugar. Sometimes it's helpful to remember it's not always and eternally about the weight (for me anyway!)

I have long wished we could take the "weight" off diet/weight loss/fitness. It is so loaded and fraught for most of us. Unfortunate.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Sunday, April 8, 2018

4:05pm to 6:15pm

D: Bite of calamari, a few bites of saganaki, side salad, 1/2 of my chicken Marsala entree; dirty martini
Dessert: piece of Oreo blizzard ice cream cake

Hungry today. Good news is that hunger comes and goes in waves. Oh well.

Couldn’t help but notice that over the past 2 weeks or so, I have been experiencing some tummy troubles (having trouble going to the bathroom) that I hadn’t been having earlier in my IF process. It’s a good observation for me to know that I may need to add back in the bit of yogurt I had been eating back then and cut down a little on the sweets and junk food to hopefully correct issue. Anyway, I’m going to open my window a little later today to accommodate my brother in law’s birthday dinner out at a family-favorites restaurant.

Larkspur, thanks for the reminder and suggestion to perhaps use some different terminology to avoid a triggering effect for those here on this board (whom I get so much support from). While I’ve come to think of what I’m doing is No S with a few mods, I realize that it could still distress readers and be seen as some major diet behavior. Note, however (if you’ve read through any of my recent posts) that my goal is not at all weight loss-I’ve consciously given up hope on that front. In fact, my favorite benefits from my IF journey this time around are my increased energy, loss of aches and pains, and a growing confidence that food is losing power over me with each passing day of success I’ve had in the last 6 weeks (I’ve only had one “fail,†which was planned). Don’t get me wrong, I agree that reduced inflammation, increased gut health and improved blood sugar is nothing to sneeze at, either! 🙂

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Monday, April 9, 2018

2:30pm to 6:15pm

30 minutes pilates reformer workout

L: 2 protein bars, handful of pretzels, several pieces of salami
D: pork chop, tzasziki sauce, rice, piece of bread

The little voice of resistance (from my lower brain) was strong today trying to get me to quit IF. I didn't listen, but it was hard, and I overate in response to it. I just wish didn't haven't to worry about this part of my life... sigh.

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

6:15pm to 7:55pm

B:skipped
D: Foot long subway chicken breast sandwich; bag of sun chips; 1/2 raspberry iced tea (way to sweet)
Dessert: Sunflower seeds

At work today. Getting to my window was effortless.

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

3:10pm-7:15pm

45 min walk
30 min pilates workout

L: handful of nuts, handful of chips, spoonful of PB, handful of pretzels, salami slices
D: 2 large slices of pizza
Dessert: choc chip cookie, butter bar

Ok, so... I have been doing some self reflection. Lately, I have been having many (lower brain) thoughts about quitting IF, feeling like I've maybe gotten into some disordered eating. I noticed that the over the past few weeks, the quality and quantity of food I've been eating has changed drastically since the start of my IF journey. In the beginning, I used to start my eating window with a light, veggie-based meal and maybe a small serving of yogurt, however now it's- anything goes and even at any time (I've been eating in-between my meals, which I haven't done in YEARS since discovering No S).

After some further reflection, I noticed that things started to change when I went on a visit back home and I started shrinking my eating window to accommodate that schedule. In addition, I heard about an app from a friend called Zero that tracks your fasting hours. Basically, because of these two things, I have increased my fasting hours to average around 21.5 hours per day... however, this has also increased eating of JUNK food and non-nutritious meals, also sometimes very quickly.

I think it probably started in a way that previous disordered eating may have started for me. Probably something to the effect of a justification like, "If I eat this junk, but eat it in a smaller window, I'm still succeeding." Or maybe it's even the chicken before the egg scenario where eating the junk caused me to think that a smaller window would "save me." Well, it hasn't- I'm now dealing with some serious digestive issues, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that it's from the garbage I've been eating. I'm also dealing with feeling "restricted" which is silly since I've been eating basically anything I want, and when I want it (as long as it was within my eating window).

Now, If I dig even deeper, I can see that all of drama this may be due to my perfectionist nature- Basically in trying to get "even better" at IF (like I do everything else), I trade moderation for perfection... and then become less balanced and start feeling restricted or simply like quitting. I mean, who would want to keep doing something that makes them feel bad (I can't even blame myself)? What an interesting connection for me....

Well, the way forward seems simple. More MODERATION (which is what No S is ALL ABOUT)!!! That will mean doing something similar to what I had been in the beginning to make me feel great, which looks like:
2pm-7pm eating window
-Try and start with a veggie based lunch around 2pm
-Eat dessert, but make it special by sitting down and savoring it
-Pay attention to what my body needs and try not to follow someone else's rules or experiences "to the tee" just so I can do it "perfect" (Sheesh)

Here I go!

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Thursday, April 12, 2018
2:45pm- 7:35pm

30 mins pilates reformer workout
45 mins walk (amazing outside today!)

L: Panera bread- you pick 2- grilled chicken ceasar salad, bowl of chicken broth, piece of bread, couple sips of lemonade
D: salad, pork chop, rice, tsaziki sauce
Dessert: small slice of white cake; cup of milk

Following my own advice today. Looking forward to getting back to some more moderation!

UPDATE: Awesomely moderate day! I felt great- felt no need to eat in-between meals, ate slowly and savored my meals. Feels good to be eating real food again and being able to easily make it to my dinner with my family. This seems like the "sweet spot" for me.
Last edited by worth it on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:53 pm

I totally get the dialectic. I think it's worth observing what works best for you, after a reasonable period of time. If TRE as you're practicing it is taking you places you don't want to go, it makes sense to change it up. Looking forward to hearing how the new plan goes.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:51 am

Friday, April 13, 2018

5:10pm to 7:00pm

L: Skipped
D: chicken tenders, biscuit, potato wedges, soda
Dessert: small chocolate chip cookie, sunflower seeds

At work today.

Larkspur, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your acknowledgement that it's ok to change things up a bit, to suit our own needs. Basically, I learned that trying to do a TRE protocol called OMAD, made me feel out of balance, almost to the point of giving up. I'm so glad I didn't! I, too, look forward to seeing how far being moderate in this journey can take me. It's almost like a switch has flipped and I realize how important that it is to experiment and not just be a strict rule follower.

Tomorrow, I'm even considering opening my window early so I can go out for brunch with my husband-we'll see what happens.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Saturday, April 14, 2018

12:05pm- 7pm (TBD)

L: eggs florentine (2 poached eggs with grilled tomatoes, spinach and mushrooms, 1/2 english muffin); hash browns
D: (will be)Chicken casserole, salad, bread, glass of wine
Dessert: piece of carrot cake with milk, sunflower seeds

Had brunch with my husband today so I opened my window early. Anyway, after breakfast, I was enjoying the restaraunt's coffee so much, that I asked for a cup afterwards. On impulse, I added some half and half to it, and tried it. I couldn't believe it, but I DIDN'T LIKE IT!!!!! So I asked for another cup- this time, just black. What a change for me! HA!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:16 am

Oh weird—I posted something earlier on your thread but it didn’t show up! Hmm ... now if only I could remember what I said. Assume it was profound and inspiring. Stat tuned. 😊

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Sunday, April 15, 2018

2:45- 6:15pm

L: 1/3 piece of grilled chicken, 2 barbecue ribs, coleslaw, bread
D: Tortilla chips and queso dip
Dessert: sunflower seeds, small piece of carrot cake; milk

Hungry today, but fine to make it to my window.

Linda, I have no doubt it was profound and inspiring! That made me crack up- haha!! 😜 I hope you are having a great weekend!!
Last edited by worth it on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:44 am

Monday, April 16, 2018

2:20pm-7:05pm

L: zoodles and mushrooms; 2 panino
D: salad; 1/2 stuffed pepper, 1 breadstick, glass of wine
Dessert: small piece of cheesecake, chocolate chip cookie

Awesome day today. I felt REAL appetite correction again today halfway through dinner- could only eat 1/2 of my stuffed pepper and had a very small portion of salad because I got full so quickly. It really makes all the difference in the world when I start my window with a veggie based meal. I will do this as much as possible because it makes me feel so good. I have 3-4 opportunities to do this each week, so I will keep it going. Hopefully this helps with my tummy troubles too.

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:00 am

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

6:05pm to 7:15pm

D: 3 soft chicken tacos, chips and guacamole (Chipotle)
Dessert: ice cream cone, sunflower seeds

At work today.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 am

Looks like you are doing incredibly well! Although I am still doing Vanilla, I’m really fascinated by IF, as it seems like a natural extension of No S. From what I’ve read in the forum, it seems to help train the appetite further, so its a good habit-producing thing.

Linda, your posts certainly inspire me, so please re-post that message as soon as it occurs to you! 😊

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

2:25pm-5:55pm

L: zoodles with asparagus and mushrooms; 2 panino
D: Small green salad; French bread pizza
Dessert: chocolate chip cookie, granola bar, handful of dark chocolate almonds, milk

My tummy troubles are almost gone! It’s amazing what the body does with veggies and real food, especially “digestively†(a new word I just made up). Not to mention, I feel full, but not uncomfortably so when I start with a mostly veggie meal.

Octavia, thanks for checking in-I am doing great! I will say none of this has been overnight. Four years of (on and off) No S and just 7 weeks of IF this time around. I think relaxing my focus a little on the “rules†has been very eye-opening on this second try. I would also say that not focusing on weight loss has allowed me to non-emotionally consider my actions/habits and has helped me to find the right balance for my journey (so far). In all, I feel this is pretty close to normal eating for me as it gets! Now I just gotta keep moving forward on a consistent basis. I’m up for the challenge.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Thursday, April 19, 2018

2pm-7pm

L: zoodles with mushrooms; yogurt with a spoonful of jam
D: 3 slices of pizza; 3 breadsticks
Dessert: several mini size chocolate candy; handful of dark chocolate covered almonds; frozen yogurt bar

Overdid it a little today. Who knows why. Oh well. 🙃
Last edited by worth it on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Friday, April 20, 2018

5:20pm-6:50pm

D: 3 chicken soft tacos; chips and guacamole, 1/2 soda (Chipotle)
Dessert: ice cream cone, sunflower seeds

At work today.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Saturday, April 21, 2018

1:25pm to 5:45pm

L: patty melt and coleslaw
Snack- 3 slices of salami; handful of dark chocolate covered almonds; handful of chips; ghiardelli square
D: leftover pizza and breadsticks

Opened my window a little early today to enjoy lunch with my husband before he goes out of town tomorrow for work for almost 2weeks...so bummed ☹ï¸.

Snacking? Is this some kind of residual S day behavior from back when I was doing vanilla? Ha! Weird though. Who know why- I’m gonna go with it.

worth it

Post by worth it » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:46 am

Sunday, April 22, 2018

4:30pm to 5:45pm

D: Panera you pick 2- grilled chicken Caesar salad, chicken noodle soup, bread
Dessert: handful of dark chocolate covered almonds

Crazy day. Didn’t have much time to eat today. Not planned to only eat once today. Need to be mindful about going overboard with my meal tomorrow, since I’m only having one again because I’ll be going to work. I don’t want to make myself feel yucky like I can tend to do if I go a few days eating only one meal per day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:45 pm

You’re doing great worth! Funny when I first started IF I would overdo it on the weekends like I always used to on vanilla NoS. That stopped after awhile and now my weekends look similar to my weekdays except there’s more restaurant food on the weekends.

Keep up the great work!

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Monday, April 23, 2018

5:45pm to 7:30pm

D: chicken sandwich and fries (yuck); 1/2 soda
Dessert: sunflower seeds

Well, after about 8 weeks of IF, I can say my taste in food has changed. I stopped for food on the way home from work and was grossed out by my dinner. I basically had to “shove it down†so that I could have at least something to eat. And, no (real) dessert after that- felt too yucky for that.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

30 minutes Pilates Reformer Workout
35 minute walk

4:25pm to 5:15pm

D: 3 eggs over easy, 1.5 pieces of toast; 3 slices of bacon, fresh fruit; slice of salami
Dessert: small piece of streusel cake, milk and 5 chocolate covered almonds

So darn busy with my husband out of town. Work, practices and games for two different sports for my son, house stuff- ugh. Same old story that everyone else has, I’m sure. Once again, I didn’t plan to skip lunch, but it’s how the day turned out.

Along with a significant change in my tastes, I’ve now noticed that I no longer “worry†that I get enough food to make it to my next meal tomorrow. It just sort of happened somehow. Again, not gonna analyze too much, just grateful for the experience. I will say that I hope to have some more time ensure I get some fresh veggies to help with my digestion.

Linda,

Thanks for stopping by! I love your encouragement! I’m learning all kinds of things on this similar-to-No S journey and it’s feels good to hear that I’m on the right track.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:42 am

Oh boy yeah I can not even think about eating fast food anymore. I love that you did breakfast for dinner. I keep meaning to do that but we either have our plated meals or go out most nights.

Keep up the great work!

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

2:30pm to 6:30

35 min walk

L: Zoodles with veggies and 1/2 avocado
D: 3 chicken fingers, a few cheese curds, a 1/2 side salad
Dessert: ice cream cone

Thursday, April 26, 2018

45 min walk

4:30-5:30pm

D: grilled chicken Caesar salad

Friday, April 27, 2018

8:00pm-9:30pm

D: filet mignon, broccoli
Dessert: glass of Pinot noir

Saturday, April 28, 2018

TBD

D: (will be) Chipotle chicken fajita bowl; chips and guacamole
Dessert: (will be) a Margarita or two.

CRAZY WEEK! No time to post... IF makes it easy if you have a full schedule. Not trying to skip additional meals on purpose, but I have been due to NO TIME! Sigh. Can’t wait until my husband is back on Tuesday.

Oh, so I’m trying not to be excited, but I have gone down a clothes size. Wow! Change especially in the past few days. It’s almost as if it was overnight. Weird, but feels good to wear a smaller size!

Linda,

Thanks for checking in and thanks for the encouragement! Hope all is well... going to check out your posts now!

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 pm

You have gone down a clothes size! Wow! That’s fantastic.

I too will NOT get excited....I will be calm....it is not that important....😊

But...HURRAH! ðŸ’ðŸ‘ðŸ¼ðŸ¾

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Yay!! What a great feeling! Congrats!

I think it’s great you’re flexible with you’re eating. Nothing wrong with just eating one meal a day, but when two works & feels right, that’s great too. I think it’s actually good to mix it up and keep the body guessing but better if it naturally happens like you’re doing. No need to overthink it.

Linda :)

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed May 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

D: (will be) Breakfast for dinner

So, I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve posted. Lots has been going on... extremely busy with my own work schedule my husband‘s work schedule and my son is playing two sports so we basically have something to do every single day of the week.

The one thing that has remained consistent is I’m still following IF. Most days I eat only one meal, not because I’m trying to, but because that’s what time permits. I have become Uber sensitive to anything processed so generally my meals are veggie filled (obsess with avocado) and on the lower carb side. Again I’m sensing that I keep continuing to lose weight but I am being very stubborn about not stepping on the scale because truly I don’t want to know. I don’t really care that much. All I know is that I feel great-have literally no back trouble anymore and even my tummy troubles are minimal. I have fully embraced exercise (I do Pilates and/or walk almost every day) and really love my black coffee!

I’ll check in from time to time and I’m hoping things will slow down sooner than later. Hope all is well with everyone!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:18 am

Glad to hear things are going well.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 10, 2018 4:37 am

Yay—worth ! You’ve really got this down. I find I can’t do the processed food either anymore. You’re even staying off the scale—so awesome!

Hope things calm down for you at some point but it’s nice to have a full life isn’t it?
Last edited by lpearlmom on Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalia negra

Post by Dalia negra » Thu May 10, 2018 5:09 am

You sound really good. Everything you describe is great and I'm happy for you.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi All,

I had a moment to check in so I thought I would provide an update.

At the end of this month things should slow down a little bit for me and I should be able to breathe with work ending and my erratic travel for awhile.

We just returned from 10 days in southern Europe which was so fun and a good bit of time that I was able to spend with my family (finally). For the first time in a long time, I think I actually lost weight on vacation without meaning to. On a 10 day average I fell within my typical five hour eating window, with a few days where the window was longer and a few days that I had just one meal a day.

Overall, I feel great! I am exercising (doing Pilates or walking or both each day) with the exception of vacation where I was able to just walk (no Pilates). As many of you know I continue to refuse to weigh myself but let my clothes tell me my progress. It’s very exciting to know that I now fit into clothes that are two sizes lower then I started. These are the clothes fit me prior to my hysterectomy, when I was likely 25 to 30 pounds lighter. If that’s truly the case, then I have lost nearly that amount over a 3 1/2 month period- truly amazing! Either way, I continue to have tons of energy, no back problems, better digestion and an overall great sense of well-being. I feel so lucky to have remained consistent with this way of eating which No S prepared me for.

To that end, I hope that everyone is doing well, having a great summer and will continue to remain focused on No S. Even if the results are not obviously quantifiable eventually, if you stick it out, I believe you will lose weight in a way that works for you. And this is coming from someone who truly gave up on any weight loss on vanilla No S for 4 years!

Be well, All! I’ll continue to check in from time to time to see how everyone is doing and keep everyone posted on my progress as well.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for the update, glad you are doing well.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:14 pm

So glad you’re feeling so great! The Europe trip sounds fab!

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Sunday, July 8, 2018

L: yogurt drink, pickles, 1/2 avocado
D: sautéed mushrooms and zucchini with riced cauliflower; piece of sausage
Dessert: 2 dark chocolate espresso cups with milk

30 mins Pilates reformer
50 min walk

21.5/4

Hi All, hope everyone is having a wonderful summer and that No S is proving some peace throughout these times of multiple parties and get togethers.

So after two weeks of CRAZY eating, CRAZY alcohol consumption, CRAZY schedules, and a little too much togetherness with the family, I am hoping I can get back in a good posting routine. My last day of work (for awhile) should be this Tuesday, so that should support my posting process as well.

Overall, the past two weeks eating-wise have wreaked havoc on my digestive system. While I don't think I've gained any weight (Yup-still refusing to weigh myself! And, I continue to exercise daily and fast and eat within a 5 hour or less window, with the exception of yesterday with an 8 hour window) I know that my body has not received proper nutrition. There has been LOTS of eating fried foods, LOTS of alcohol (I've had 3+ drinks for 9 out of the past 14 days), and and overall decrease in my veggie consumption. As a result, I'd like to post to keep an eye on what I'm eating, but perhaps maybe even my emotional state.

While I know this past week was a holiday week, personally, I had/have lots of drama going on- my mom recently went through open heart surgery (but is doing AMAZING now that a month has already passed), my son will be starting up tackle football (so nervous about this) and while I don't need to continue working right now, I am still looking for a part-time role because... I worried our spending will need to decrease significantly and maybe I'm a tad worried I won't be relevant anymore?? (DEEP THOUGHTS). I've been working since I was 15 years old and have built a great career in my field over the past 18 years and I guess I'm just not ready to give it up or completely go in another direction. However finding a part-time gig in my field is difficult, so we'll see how it goes for now. Anyway, I realize these are first world problems and we are doing fine financially, but obviously this paired with other recent worries/drama could be contributing to all my excess as of late.

Either way, I've gotta do a little "facing of facts" and I know that posting here has been really helpful for me in the past. The good news is that I've haven't touched a drink in two days (just thinking about one makes me feel sick) and am gonna try eating only the most nutritious food depending on what my body is craving.

Now, it's time to catch up on everyone else's threads! :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Your trip sounds amazing. Sorry the last couple of weeks have been a bit over the top but it looks like you’re back on track now. I see that you’re trying to cut back on your alcohol as well. Let me know if you want to join me in a 30 day reset in September!

I’m sure you will find a way to be relevant still but it must be a weird feeling. I struggle with this all the time as a sahm. Getting into activism has really boosted my self-esteem in this past year and I’m sure you’ll find something equally stimulating.

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom but so great she’s doing okay. Scary stuff!

We are going through some tightening of the belt too with DH’s new contract taking away his salary and paying him by case instead. It may mean things are tight for a bit but as I consider things like letting the cleaning lady go or having the gardener come every other week, I realize as you mentioned that many , many ppl have it much worse.

Anyway so glad IF is still going well for you and look forward to hearing about this next phase in your life.

Linda

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:17 am

July 9, 2018

D: yogurt drink, giant salad, 4 taquitos, chips and guac
Dessert: granola bar, a handful of cherries, piece of chocolate, milk

22/1

45 minutes Pilates reformer

Didn't intend on eating one meal today, but time got away from me and I ate at 5pm and ate rather quickly. In fact, the first part of my meal I was eating standing up so I made myself sit down, but still didn't concentrate on my meal because of some slight drama going on with family. Sigh. Why don't I just stop eating all together until I've calmed down? I guess old habits die hard. Anyway, ok day, but I'd like to try and concentrate on my meals a little more. Won't be able to do it tomorrow since I'm at work and will probably only have one meal while I'm driving, but I'll try again on Wednesday. Also, no alcohol today (didn't even think about it until just now... phew).

Linda,

Thanks for stopping by! I am also so grateful for your support and just love catching up on your thread. I especially enjoy seeing all of the changes (and your bravery) with getting out there in the world and doing things that are important to you!! Not to mention, you are making a lot of wonderful friends/connections, which is something I aspire to.

As usual, we are "vibing" again, especially with observing our alcohol consumption... and our 1st world problems! LOL! However, decreasing of spending can be easier said than done and I just feel lucky that someone can empathize. We'll (all) get through it, but it should be interesting.

Also, I would like to join you on your reset. I am traveling the first week of September but can definitely get on board, especially with keeping my glass ceiling LOW...

I'm already seeing why I missed posting so much! Thanks again.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 am

Oh family drama—fun times!

Yes, I’m not so good at spending less. Either is DH so will be interesting.

Good for you for skipping alcohol again. We can always start the detox as soon as you get back.

Onward!

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:36 am

July 10, 2018

L: 6in grilled chicken Subway sandwich; Auntie Ann’s pretzel; small strawberry lemonade; sunflower seeds
D: 1/2 baked chicken breast; broccoli; corn; stuffed mushroom

19.5/4

Unusual day today. I went into work today but my meetings ended early so I left mid day and got hungry so I stopped and got something to eat for lunch. I wasn’t that hungry for dinner but ate anyway for family fellowship, which doesn’t bother me that much anymore. It’s nice not to berate myself for eating when I’m not hungry once in a while! Also no alcohol again! It’s good to put some days together to keep my detox going.

Unfortunately I have to go back again on Friday (fingers crossed this will actually be my last day)but the good news is gives us that much more financial cushion while I’m looking for part-time work.

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:09 am

July 11, 2018

L: small avocado; spoonful of pistachio butter; pickles
D: Grilled Greek porkchop and pita; Greek potatoes; Caesar salad, corn, homemade tzatziki sauce
Dessert: dark chocolate caramel; 2 mini Reese’s Pb minis
1/2 glass of wine (shared with my husband) 😉

45 minutes Pilates reformer workout; 2 hours cleaning

Exhausted as I write this... I cooked dinner this evening for our extended family and cleaned (and did LOTS of laundry) before cooking. Also had a little wine with dinner this evening and it was really enjoyable... not like last week!🙃

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 am

Looks like a yummy dinner. Great job!

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:22 am

July 12, 2018

D: Chipotle fajita bowl, chips and guacamole
Dessert: Dove bar

45 min walk
40 min Pilates reformer workout

21.5/1.5

July 13, 2018

D: Subway grilled chicken 6in sub, auntie Ann’s pretzel, lemonade
Dessert: McDs ice cream cone

23.5/2

At work today. Thinking it’s my last day of driving 2-2.5 hours to work one way! Fingers crossed!

Thanks Linda- dinner was yummy! And glad I didn’t go overboard on the vino.

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:07 am

July 14, 2018

L: 3/4 bacon cheeseburger; 2 mozzarella sticks, a few fries
Snack: 2 pieces of bologna; pickle
D: cherry dipped cone

16/6

48 min walk

Opened my window early so I could go out to lunch with my family. Am doing the same for tomorrow- going out to breakfast with my BIL and SIL. Good to have that flexibility and will not worry about it. I’ll be back to normal on Monday.

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 am

July 15, 2018

B: French toast, bacon, eggs
L: a lot, can't remember everything
D: piece of pork tenderloin, small serving of potatoes, small amount of salad

16/6.5

July 16, 2018

D: macaroni and beef, big salad, piece of baguette
Dessert: protein bar, milk, sunflower seeds

25/2

45 mins walk
35 min Pilates reformer workout

Was easy to get back on track today, after the past two days 16 hour windows and yesterday's binge around lunchtime. I don't know why I did it, but I did and was able to move on. Perhaps it was driven by my body, or perhaps by neural pathways. Who knows... and I guess, who cares. I'm back on track and had an enjoyable meal today and even felt some appetite correction, which I haven't in awhile. Will see what the day brings tomorrow. Gonna keep plugging away.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:20 am

It's the pluggin away that will get you where you want to be :)

Good luck
Last edited by Soprano on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 pm

July 17, 2018

L: salad, 1/2 bologna sandwich, 2 large nutella filled crepes, granola bar, milk
D: skipping...

20/1

50 minute walk

What the heck?! I did it again today... I feel awful from overeating. It's been MONTHS since I've binge ate, so I'm not sure why I've done it twice in the past 3 days (although it's not as much as I had the other day). It is interesting that I am not really freaking out about it like I used to in the past. Perhaps it's because weight loss is not a goal?

Now, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried in some way, however. As I think through things, I have made a connection that for the past few weeks (before I started posting again), I was binge drinking rather than binge eating. Perhaps this impulsive behavior has simply carried over? Sigh. No clue what's going on, especially since I've had a very hectic few months without any impulsiveness around consuming anything. Wonder what gives?

The good news is that in the past I would've immediately blamed my weak character or my diet that made me feel so "restricted" that I'd have to act out by eating. Not this time. In fact, I just hope that my solid habit foundation gained through No S and IF will help me weather this storm I seem to be facing (if it even is a storm).

In the end, I hope that I won't be giving this behavior too much credence or consider myself powerless over it. If I do it again tomorrow, the only real consequence is that my stomach will feel stuffed and that perhaps I will gain some weight. While an unsettling thought, the good news is that I will likely remain within my eating window, which will reinforce a habit I consider to be a good one.

Again, I will continue to plug away (and like Soprano said
:D it's about the only thing I can do.)

See everyone tomorrow. Hope I have better news to report.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Seems like you have developed a good attitude to binging, some random thoughts re the cause:

1. Time of the month looming
2. Are you eating enough during your eating window
3. Do you feel you are depriving yourself of anything
4. What are you binging on, perhaps lacking something in your diet

You'll sort it be patient...
Last edited by Soprano on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:43 pm

July 18, 2018

L: Panera you pick two: chicken noodle soup (low noodles); chicken Cesar salad (low dressing); 1/2 baguette
D: Italian sausage sandwich; chips; a few fries
Dessert: sugar cookie; caramel; 1/2 glass of milk

45 min walk
35 min Pilates reformer workout

22.5/4

No drama today. Seems like everything is quiet on the eating front. Not sure how long it will last but I’ll definitely take it!

Soprano, thanks for the encouragement. I seem to be binging on refined carbs, surprise, surprise 🙃. So, probably not anything nutritional. I guess there really could be any number of reasons however, I’m hoping it will get sorted (may be it already is🙂). I do know that I always seem to feel better when breaking my fast with some type of vegetables, when I eat a smaller veggie-based meal first, and when I eat slower which is something I’ve had a problem with for years. Again, I’ll just keep moving it forward! Hoping for some good days coming up- We are leaving to visit my mom in Ohio tomorrow so it should be good since she is very supportive of my IF regimen and does it herself too.