Afternoon tea with milk.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

centrino

Afternoon tea with milk.

Post by centrino » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 am

Hi. I’m still experimenting with the best lunch meal (I tend to eat same thing at breakfast and lunch most days to decrease food-related stress). I wanted to find a lunch that would take me 4-5 hours till the family dinner without having a sugar crash or craving (I have some degree of insulin resistance, and believe 3 meals a day with no snacks can help it).

I can very easily go 5-6 hours after my early morning breakfast of peanutbutter oatmeal. I have seen my worst time 4 pm onwards, that’s when I can’t control, sometimes physical hunger, sometimes mental, sometimes stress/emotional eating. I increased fat and protein at lunch which seemed to help with physical hunger, but the mental one is still out of control. I was thinking if I could take a break around 4pm and have a nice cup of tea (with milk of course to make it filling, I can’t stomach plain tea) before starting making dinner (we usually have dinner anytime between 6-7.30 pm, time often varies as husband doesn’t come home exactly at same time every day). I feed my kids dinner around 5 pm and cook between 4-6 pm and these are the hardest to control times. Any suggestions how to manage that? Does tea with milk work well with anyone? I feel like cheating when I say Ill try tea with milk to avoid afternoon snacking. (Unfortunately my afternoon snacks sometimes turn into binges, I feel guilty for eating, try to restrict and end up bingeing 😞

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:21 am

Tea with milk is a great idea, I use it to keep me going though I am starting to try different teas some of which I find palatable without.

Drinks are fine in between meals. I added in a no starving mod at the beginning so if I feel so hungry I'm likely to overeat I might have a controlled snack say a few nuts but this is rare and certainly not daily.

Be patient you do learn to live with the hunger

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:30 am

Centrino - is it food you need or a bit of time to have a break and relax? If it's the latter and you give yourself permission to do this, it may help with the urge to dive into the food.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

centrino

Post by centrino » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:12 am

Soprano wrote:
Be patient you do learn to live with the hunger

Jx
ðŸ‘ðŸ¼
I do get impatient quickly. I understand it takes time for the body to get adjusted to a whole new way of eating, rather “regular eatingâ€. It’s gotten used to restriction, bingeing, dieting, bingeing, rinse and repeat.

centrino

Post by centrino » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 am

ladybird30 wrote:Centrino - is it food you need or a bit of time to have a break and relax? If it's the latter and you give yourself permission to do this, it may help with the urge to dive into the food.
Coming from a long history of dieting and bingeing, honestly I sometimes cannot differentiate between a need to eat or a need to relax. 😞

That’s why I’m so interesting in NoS. To feel normal about eating again. To learn how normal people eat.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:21 am

Centrino, late afternoon is my most difficult time too. I know it is especially hard because it puts you in the kitchen preparing food. When I am having one of those days, I drink coffee, tea, or sparkling water and chew gum like crazy. I don't think a little milk in your tea is a problem, if it is taking care of the "I have to eat" going on in your head. If I were not having to prepare food, I would head out the door in nice weather and take a walk or sit and "ride the urge." You have already hit on the most important thing and that is the reaction you make after a slight giving in. I have played all sorts of mind games too. "This will just be my supper" pops up now and then.

You are doing great just recognizing and naming the problem. Let's get through this afternoon and finish out the week.

centrino

Post by centrino » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 pm

So today I let myself have a cup of tea with milk while feeding my kids dinner. That helped me to control nibbling on their food and I ate a normal (okay, a large one!) at night. But I wasn’t cooking today. Let’s see how things go on nights that I cook too.

no peek

Post by no peek » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Last edited by no peek on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:09 am

I can't tell you how many people have problems with mid-to-late afternoon desires. I used decaf coffee with creamer for a long time, and sometimes still do. It might even have been allowed, but it kept me from going on to chewing, and for me, chewing is a whole new ball game that goes from food to food to food. I never had more than two drinks and usually only one.

Just think of it as a step in adjusting to your new habit.
    Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
    Age 69
    BMI Jan/10-30.8
    1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
    9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
    2 yrs flux 6/20 22
    1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

zaman

Post by zaman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:02 am

I drink tea whenever I want it, weight watchers points calculator sometimes that's I'm feeling peckish
    Last edited by zaman on Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rosabellagm

Post by rosabellagm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:15 am

I feel it interesting, your post gave me a new perspective! I have read many other articles about the same topic, but your article convinced me! I hope you continue to have high quality articles like this to share with veryone!
    run 3

lindarose11

Great

Post by lindarose11 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:08 am

I would like to introduce you to a question-and-answer forum for programmers, with all the areas you can research such as windows, android, java, python, c... the website:

https://stackanswers.net