Canoe Strokes with VIDEO

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
phayze

Canoe Strokes with VIDEO

Post by phayze » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:03 am

Hey Guys, something new to add to the mix. I know there have been many along the way who've thought to use canoe strokes, or paddling moves, with the SG, but this my take, based on some canoe-instructional sites that I found a long time ago.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:02 am

Beloved Phayze -- your vids keep getting better and better! Great moves and imagery, and also the front view first, then the side view. Am still enjoying Pump Water, will now be adding Canoe, Pull Weeds, and Thresh Wheat to my repertoire. You are my hero! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to make these videos ... I tend not to "get" text descriptions. One question, however -- where is Tux?!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:23 pm

Very nice! This is probably THE most popular non-canonical move and it's great to finally have some video for it. I just added a video link to the entry on the movements page.

phayze

Post by phayze » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:52 am

Winnie - Glad you like! And really, it's no effort on my part so no thanks are necessary.

Maybe Tux will show up in the next round of vids, but he didn't turn out for that day's shoot. Actors! :p

Reinhard - I thought you'd appreciate this one, considering how often it's come up over the years. :) Thanks again for the linkage - it's pretty cool to feel like I'm contributing to the Shovelglove Empire. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

AutoMATTIQ

Canoe Intesified

Post by AutoMATTIQ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 pm

I was recently told about ShovelGlove and I think its great! I have a modification for the Canoe move that I wanted to share.

Its really 3 different versions, each more difficult than the previous.

1st - Sit in a chair or a stool and do the rowing action as if you are sitting in a canoe. By immobilizing the hips and legs, you can isolate the core muscles during this movement.

2nd - sit on the ground with your legs bent, knees close to chest like you are at the top of a sit-up. Now do the rowing action. This engages the core because you have to twist your trunk muscles to conduct the same movement.

3rd - Do the same as the 2nd version except elevate your feet. Either place them on top of something 10-15 inches high or if you are a real maniac, try holding your feet up with no assistance and do the rowing motion.

I have been doing the 3rd version for the last week as a part of my daily routine. I can not only see a big difference in my shoulders and arms but abs and core are tightening up nicely.
"I will do today what others wont, so I can do tomorrow what others can't" - Jerry Rice

Crafty

Post by Crafty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:09 am

Anyone found a way to modify this into a Kayak Stroke? I've done quite alot of both in the past, but not for years. I much preferred kayaking and the most intense work out i've probably ever done was a timed kayak obstacle course to qualify for a 5 day trips in a row on white water. The constant paddling on both sides is exhausting but i would think a heavy weight would be needed to replicate the massive resistance of flowing water (trying to go upstream in a one man kayak also burns your body like hell and is insanely gratifying). Anyone found a way to mimic it yet?
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.

Crafty

modified

Post by Crafty » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:51 pm

So I have been doing both Canoe and reverse canoe strokes for a while and they seem to really work well. I had a thought last night and have given it a few tries. I think i ought to submit this for further review but for me, it works.

'Draw' strokes are pretty important in actual canoeing to move laterally on still water, and essential in Kayaking to avoid smashing up on boulders.

Taking the SG in both hands (about middle grip on the right hand, and at the pommel in the left) you hold the head about 2-3' from your right knee and about 1' above, out to the side of your body. Pull it in slowly, and when next to your leg, rotate the shaft 90*. Now Push it back out with hand still rotated. I have a video here that can give you an idea of what the stroke looks like ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZkXWqdl ... ults_video ) but i have 2 things to say about it.

1: There is no gunwale in my apt, and as such you need to hold one hand in a locked place. Either the pommel hand will do (in which case the right arm will be the working one, similar to a sweeping motion) or lock the right hand and it will act as the fulcrum/gunwale (and the left arm will work somewhat similarly to Phayze's "Giant Wrench"{which I already love so I do the 'sweep'}).

2: What i described (poorly) above is the "in water" recovery from the vid. Not only is the wrist part critical to the boat's movement, but also it is going to make your forearms and wrists do a lot of movement that (mine at least) do not like.

Enjoy!
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.

richardjews

Post by richardjews » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 pm

I just added a video link to the entry on the movements page. read my thoughts here

jasmyndube

Post by jasmyndube » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:31 am

I can not only see a big difference in my shoulders and arms but abs and core are tightening up nicely. Phen375

kimmysawi

Post by kimmysawi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:48 am

reinhard wrote:Very nice! This is probably THE most popular non-canonical move and it's great to finally have some video for it. visit phenq review hereI just added a video link to the entry on the movements page.
It was the Ordinary things which max up the limit in that video link

Jackarce

Post by Jackarce » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:14 am

alessiomarkz

Post by alessiomarkz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:54 am

Crafty wrote:Anyone found a way to modify this into a Kayak Stroke? I've done quite alot of both in the past, but not for years. I much preferred kayaking and the most intense work out i've probably ever done was a timed kayak obstacle course to qualify for a 5 day trips in a row on white water. The constant paddling on both sides is exhausting but i would think a heavy weight would be needed to replicate the massive resistance of flowing water (trying to go upstream in a one man kayak also burns your body like hell and is insanely gratifying). Anyone found a way to mimic it yet? https://emilydavinci.com
It is not of those kinds because that can not easily be terminated those kayak eventually

alessiomarkz

Post by alessiomarkz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:54 am

phayze wrote:Winnie - Glad you like! And really, it's no effort on my part so no thanks are necessary.

Maybe Tux will show up in the next round of vids, but he didn't turn out for that day's shoot. Actors! :p https://phenq-reviews.com/uk/

Reinhard - I thought you'd appreciate this one, considering how often it's come up over the years. :) Thanks again for the linkage - it's pretty cool to feel like I'm contributing to the Shovelglove Empire. ;)
All of those targeted audience can push there linkage things for updates those stuff :oops: