I Need to Get a Life

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

elegantportions

I Need to Get a Life

Post by elegantportions » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:35 pm

I am finding that my biggest fails come from using food when I should be doing other things. My long-standing habit has been to use food as my "go to" resource. I need your help changing that habit.

Specifically, what is your favorite way to treat yourself that does not involve food, alcohol, or spending money? How do you celebrate?

And the flip side - how do you comfort yourself/handle stress?
EP
5'5" Female Age 62
Dec 2018 Year 5 BMI = 25.8

jenji

Post by jenji » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Comfort myself - read a book from childhood or watch a movie from childhood. Or, alternatively, read a book that isn't heavy lifting - for me, that's sci fi or romance or graphic novels or humor. Some workbooks are comforting and a way to learn without straining myself.

Treat myself - I've been trying to move away from impulse purchases, but I have bought myself some investment clothing purchases for work. For me, what I look for for these is:
# washable,
# if possible, natural fabrics (silk, cotton ponte, etc)
# in my chosen color palette (navy is my neutral, or light grey)
* fit me well right now

Also soothing - walks in nature, or walks in my city with friends; patting my neighbor's dog, petting my cat; playing music; singing in groups or learning a new song alone; yoga (youtube - I like Yoga with Adriene - or a class); meeting girlfriends for drinks (this involves alcohol for me, one glass of wine, so about $15-20 with tip); going out with my boyfriend. Kayaking.

I am political and have been worried about our country. I also find it soothing to meet with like-minded people to work on issues I care about.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Love this thread already - great one EP.
I made a list once but lost it since ha!

Comfort:
Passive comfort:
Hot bath
Lightening candles and snuggle with a novel
Go to the hairdresser or do my own hair (I know bizarre but I find hairdryers really soothing)
Massages
Sit in a cafe watching people and enjoy a hot milky drink (borderline here as using some kind of food but hey)
Cuddling my cats (although lately they have been missing out as I always have a child on me and actually enjoy being cuddle free for a few moments)

Active comfort:
A relaxing yoga class (not the fitness yoga kind)
Writing a journal
Go for a walk in the park
Cuddling with the kids when they are in a good mood (😂)

Low cost comfort:
Buying flowers for the house or seasonal decorations
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:57 am

I do need a substitute activity for eating when I really need a mental escape - playing patience while listening to music does it for me. Another way is a brisk walk to the local cinema, followed by another walk home. 40 minutes of walking each way is a real mood enhancer, and there is the escape of a film in the middle.

Long walks with a group in the countryside or forest also are a good way of feeling better. I do that weekly.

A new book to read is a good treat, and they are free from my local library.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:16 am

Even though I love reading, sometimes it's not enough to completely occupy my mind. I find that listening to music and/or singing does the trick. And rewatching British sketch comedy shows like Mitchell&Webb or Fry&Laurie never fails to make me smile when I need it most.
When I want to get out of the house, I absolutely adore browsing books in the library.

Over43

Re: I Need to Get a Life

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:18 pm

elegantportions wrote:
And the flip side - how do you comfort yourself/handle stress?
Camels
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:13 pm

ladybird30 wrote:I do need a substitute activity for eating when I really need a mental escape - playing patience while listening to music does it for me. Another way is a brisk walk to the local cinema, followed by another walk home. 40 minutes of walking each way is a real mood enhancer, and there is the escape of a film in the middle.

Long walks with a group in the countryside or forest also are a good way of feeling better. I do that weekly.

A new book to read is a good treat, and they are free from my local library.
Walking is great, have to agree. Unless like here today it's 90+ degrees F. and 60% or higher relative humidity. Anything physical is good to get your mind off food, snacking, etc. Also have to add some new, or old hobby that requires your concentration for an hour or so to get your thoughts off of food. In my case it's playing guitar, or I should say trying to play.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days