Adamantly Uncertain Checks In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AdamantlyUncertain

Adamantly Uncertain Checks In

Post by AdamantlyUncertain » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:05 pm

Good morning. I just ate three pieces of cake.

And I'm so over the whole damn thing.
I just want to be normal. I don't even care about weight loss. I just want sanity, structure and normalcy around food.

I have PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder) and my struggle with this tends to define my relationship with food in general. I won't get too detailed - but it's the monkey that rides my back, making every month a crazy boomerang between dietary perfection and absolutely bizarre, disordered eating patterns.

But even people with mood disorders can work on habit, right? I've purchased and read "The No S Diet"... and... well.. what have I got to lose? (besides the 20 pounds I put on since quitting keto in the spring...whatever).

It just makes so much sense now, to quit the nonsense and start working on habit, plain and simple and let my weight be what it will be. So I'm starting - right now, right this second, three pieces of cake be damned.

Greetings to everyone who reads this. I know I'll be scouring all of your posts for support, motivation and encouragement. Lord knows, I need it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Welcome! You’ve definitely come to the right place if sanity is what you’re looking for.

I started NoS in a similar place as you are now. I was just so done with dieting and wanted a healthy relationship with food. I spent the first year establishing my habits and it felt so great not to obsess about food anymore. I didn’t lose much weight that first year but am now down about 55 lbs. it’s been a long, interesting journey.

Anyways, sounds like this is a good fit for you. So glad you found us.

Best of luck!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Habit is King!! Welcome to the forum where we find our habit groove. :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Welcome to No S. Fortunately for us, perfection is not required to establish good habits, but consistency of effort is.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

AdamantlyUncertain

Post by AdamantlyUncertain » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 pm

I want to thank everyone for their warm welcomes! Honestly I’ve had such a rough couple of days... and just coming here to report and reading what you guys have written is making me tear up! I’m off to a rough start! But you haven’t seen the last of me! Apparently this NoS thing is really simple and clear - but not easy! (Not for me right now at least!). In a few days my emotional state will level out and I know I’ll get some Green Days. In the mean time I’m going to keep trying, keep reading what you guys write for support... I know I can do this and I know I can get stronger. Thank you, everyone!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:08 am

AdamantlyUncertain wrote:I want to thank everyone for their warm welcomes! Honestly I’ve had such a rough couple of days... and just coming here to report and reading what you guys have written is making me tear up! I’m off to a rough start! But you haven’t seen the last of me! Apparently this NoS thing is really simple and clear - but not easy! (Not for me right now at least!). In a few days my emotional state will level out and I know I’ll get some Green Days. In the mean time I’m going to keep trying, keep reading what you guys write for support... I know I can do this and I know I can get stronger. Thank you, everyone!
Be patient and kind to yourself, you'll find the slip ups become fewer and fewer and the habit will slowly ingrain. Just don't stop trying :)