'Our intestines aren't supposed to work 17 hours a day'

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sharon227

'Our intestines aren't supposed to work 17 hours a day'

Post by sharon227 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm not a Dr. Oz fan, but an article in today's Parade Sunday magazine has some interesting thoughts from him that are definitely related to the NoS philosophy:
"New studies suggest that when you eat matters for your health, longevity and even weight loss," Oz says.

The average American eats pretty much all day long, throughout the 17 hours that most of us are awake. "Our intestines aren't supposed to work 17 hours a day," he says.

Before drive-thrus, microwaves and refrigerators, the human body evolved to go for long stretches without food. During these breaks, vital things happen. Insulin levels drop, which makes stored body fat more accessible for use. Human growth hormone goes up, to help burn fat and build muscle. Damaged cell material is shed faster (called autophagy). Even the way genes are expressed changes.

All this may help us to lose weight (or stick to a healthy weight).
More science on why perma-snacking isn't a great idea, and traditional eating along the line of NoS is a great idea!

Soprano

Re: 'Our intestines aren't supposed to work 17 hours a day'

Post by Soprano » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 pm

sharon227 wrote:I'm not a Dr. Oz fan, but an article in today's Parade Sunday magazine has some interesting thoughts from him that are definitely related to the NoS philosophy:
"New studies suggest that when you eat matters for your health, longevity and even weight loss," Oz says.

The average American eats pretty much all day long, throughout the 17 hours that most of us are awake. "Our intestines aren't supposed to work 17 hours a day," he says.

Before drive-thrus, microwaves and refrigerators, the human body evolved to go for long stretches without food. During these breaks, vital things happen. Insulin levels drop, which makes stored body fat more accessible for use. Human growth hormone goes up, to help burn fat and build muscle. Damaged cell material is shed faster (called autophagy). Even the way genes are expressed changes.

All this may help us to lose weight (or stick to a healthy weight).
More science on why perma-snacking isn't a great idea, and traditional eating along the line of NoS is a great idea!
The more I learn the more I truly believe we shouldn't be eating more than 3 times a day and less some days :)
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:01 am

If we put Dr. Oz' advice into practice, then the Warrior Diet of Ori Hofmekler would be the ticket. Ori has been a proponent of one large meal a day, usually in the evening; similar to how ancient warriors ate. I never had the desire to try one meal a day.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks for sharing! ..During the month of August I fasted 18 or 19 hours every day. I didn't lose any weight but I did feel like I gave my body a much-needed break. Our bodies do need a break from digesting food so that it can do other things like heal and detoxify. Love this article! I do follow someone on YouTube who only eats one meal a day. She has a wonderful personality and is just a normal mom. I think her channel is called six miles to supper because she also tries to walk 6 miles every day.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:46 am

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the link!

One great thing about the mindshare IF is getting is that it's (finally) making people see the obvious lunacy of permasnacking (as you point out, snacking on any scale wasn't even *possible* before refrigeration, microwave ovens, hi-tech convenience food).

My only fear is that human beings, with their usual penchant for immoderation, will take IF too far.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:37 pm

I fast an average of 21 hrs a day and love it. It does feel like an extension of NoS to me but agree that it can be taken too far. I see all these fb groups where ppl are fasting 7+ days at a time. Really those longer fasts are only meant for ppl who are severely diabetic and then only under medical supervision of course. More isn’t always better.

Maggie: love the six mike to supper blog. Awesome that you tried IF for awhile. Most ppl gain or stay the same for the first 3-4 weeks. The weight usually starts to come off after that slowly or in my case very very very slowly. ☺ï¸
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:44 pm

OA in the 80's used to be "three moderate meals a day." I thought they were crazy.

I read a guy named Jack Trimpey who advocated two or three meals a day long before No S.

But it didn't all come together until No S. Maybe it was the S days? I don't know.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)